After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

After Paige and Azzi come back, should Caroline gets some PT as a forward?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our forte since Geno has been coach has been the up-tempo game that everyone loves, even people that don't like us, but still admire how we play. With Paige and Nika both out we have looked terrible, aways stuck in the half court, with some players just standing around waiting for someone else to make things happen. Enter Nika Muhl, playing the way we have always played, and even though she doesn't score much, the other players are getting opportunities to get open shots. These other players are better for Nika being in there, as Paige is when she is in. Never mind the scoring, Paige just makes everyone else better with her passing and pushing the offence up the floor. When Paige comes back, she will be limited with her minutes (like Nika has been, LOL). Seriously though, there is no way that one of them is not going to be on the floor when the other isn't. We can't afford to fall back into that half court crap that has dragged us down. Paige is the best in the country, Nika is not, but her value to this team cannot be overlooked when we are at full strength. It just seems that we can't function very well without a leader on the court at all times, and like it or not, Nika is a leader. Azzi, Caroline, EW, CW, and Paige when needed will supply the scoring. This is a team that needs a PG to lead them, and with Paige and Nika running the show, we can be the team that we always thought we could be.

Reaction Score
For myself I would love to see the team get to that point where Geno has to make some tough decisions, it means the team is somewhat at full strength again.
Yeah, let's turn the clock back to November 1st when Geno's only headache was figuring out how to get minutes for all the talent.
Can't see Caroline Ducharme sitting down unless she plays her way OUT of the starting lineup.
Love Nika's toughness and hustle. Maybe, just maybe, without Aubrey to come in and raise h-ll when we stumble and reinvigorate everybody, Nika can be the "bomb" on defense and rev up the team at selective points. although she doesn't have Aubrey's athleticism and strength, nobody has bothered to tell her (maybe they have but she's too stubborn to listen) she's too small to fight the bigs in the lane or on the glass.
Side note: Nika and AE seemed to really have a great "Dynamic Duo' thing on offense going at times.
Haven't been able to do so so far this season, but...
If they are both healthy and can regain that symbiosis, would be great if they can be a double switch when Paige and either Dorka or Liz need a few minutes to recharge.
Just daydreaming.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Even though Azzi has not proved to be as good as Caroline at this stage of their development, I do expect Azzi to excel. By march I would be happy with Liv and Dorka starting and Aalyiah subing in the post. I hope the majority of guard minutes go to Paige, Nika, Caroline, and Azzi with Evina and CW subing when appropriate. Worst case start the seniors for 5 minutes and pull them al a Doty. (A healthy Doty would not have been pulled.) I believe UCONN has a chance to get to the FF with the underclassmen guards given lots of minutes playing together. If Geno continues to favor CW and Evina well there is no hope of ever seeing the FF. The underclassmen guards have a winning attitude, I don't see the same thing in Evina and CW. Worst case is your young guards received the needed game minutes to progress to the next level next season.
We may be stronger at guard than at forward in a few weeks and Caroline looks like she can defend well at forward and rebound acceptably. And stretch the other team's forward out to the 3 point line. I think when Liv and Dorka are not in the lineup together we might want to consider one big with Caroline, Paige, Evina and Christyn. I could see Caroline playing the high post and distributing the ball in a similar way to Liv and knocking down that 10 foot jumper as well. This option would enable more space in the paint for cutting, as well as freeing up Azzi and Paige for more 3 pointers and maybe even maximize Caroline's strengths in cutting to the basket on the dribble..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coach had that problem at the start of the season with making some tough decisions and as the season progressed and injuries kicked in, it just got worse. Once everyone is back and semi healthy, those "tough" decisions continue.
I am sure that Geno would welcome the kind of “tough” decision that comes with having a deep lineup as opposed to the relatively simple decisions based on having only 5-6 healthy players to send out on the court. ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I have been running these scenarios in my head. It's a fun exercise when it's not my decision. I came up with the perfect lineup and allotment of time that I knew would be great for the team. THEN..... I saw I forgot to include Azzi. I believe the final outcome for this team will rest on the play of 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. That means that 2 seniors who have given their hearts to this team (and 40 minutes whenever it was needed) will be placed in secondary roles. And that hurts. I don't want to see CW and E pushed into the role of giving 3 minute breaks to the younger guys. But I don't see any other way to achieve the ultimate goal.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The starters, there on many options depending on what your needs are. First need is team chemistry and experience. Paige Caroline Liv Christyn Dorka and Evina give you that. Next you need scoring and Paige Caroline and Azzi will give you that. Rebounding Liv and Dorka give you that. Geno has alot of options. IMO Liv Christyn and Paige are a given. Caroline averaging almost 20 pts a game and can score in a variety of ways and knows how to play the game is also a given. Caroline has earned a starters role. That leaves one spot open. That would be Genos decision. I think it would be between Nika Azzi and Evina. Nika brings defense and energy, Evina brings defense and chemistry and Azzi can offense. Next question is, Geno has alot of options and based on the teams needs will he will play who he needs to. There will be alot of competition for that 5th spot. Dont forget when Paige and Azzi are healthy enough to play their minutes may be limited and against most Big East teams that wont hurt us that much. The goal is to have everybody ready for the NCAAs.

It doesnt matter what seed we are when everybody gets back and is healthy enough to play. We will have some serious outside threats and that will open everything up. I thought we were number 1 in WCBB before the season started and I believe a healthy UConn team in March will be a nitemare to play against.

Reaction Score
I think it is Geno’s duty/imperative to continue to develop this year’s team’s arsenal. Caroline is doing great, only quibbles for me are her defense (letting her opponent get past her too easily at times) and occasional hasty shooting (not set but I understand the need to shoot as our squad is limited). Paige will be Paige when she returns- even 80% Paige if added to line-up will be huge.
Livia is playing best ball of her career. Aaliyah is maybe coming back to form, this is Geno job #1, keep her on track to be consistent force down low. I’ll throw in Dorka here too. Getting guards to get timely accurate passes into open bigs is Geno job #2- hello bounce pass. Paige’s return will help here immensely. Getting Christyn back and up to speed is Geno job #3- we need her speed layups, great defense and occasional outside shot. She will thrive in a line-up with potent Paige and Caroline. Getting Azzi into the game and used to college pace is Geno job #4- all freshmen not named Paige have shown first-time jitters when starting their UConn careers. Azzi is too good a shooter to remain unused- if she gets minutes through rest of season, it’ll be bound to help team. This depends on when she is finally at full health but I hope that will be soon.

I was disappointed in SC game being postponed, but considering everything else, it gives us time to improve in all these areas.

Reaction Score
While we're all making outrageous guesses about who's gonna do what in the future, here's my stab: Caroline as a 3 and PB as a 1 will be the very first MOP co-winners in the final four this year while Geno bags his 12th. I think that's as reasonable as any guess. Or not.
I like your thinking and dream of how this season will end up. Should Paige be able to return as well as Azzi, I can see Nika coming in when necessary to add spark, enthusiasm, and defensive leadership. Azzi coming off the bench to drop a string of much-needed bombs from time to time. Christyn and Evina demonstrating their skills, Edwards returning to the form displayed last season and Dorka continuing to assist Liv with some outstanding board play, assists and scoring. Wow! This team could simply blow-out their opponents on a run to the title. Let's hope we finally get a break ... after everything that's happened, we deserve it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Interesting thread.

If Paige and Azzi come back completely healthy with the ability to go all out for 40 minutes, here's my take.

Nika at the point with Paige at the 2. Caroline is the 3 with Dorka and Liv as 4A and 4B. Nike starts because she is the leader of the team. Geno has said so on the latest Geno show. She brings the energy and drive that the team is feeding off of. She has a defensive intensity that makes a difference. I want that energy and drive at the tip off. Drive the team to pound the opposition. Paige at the 2 allows her to move without the ball and get free via screens. This is not saying she will not be dishing dimes, she will. But Paige and Nika is a deadly combo out from. No way Caroline doesn't start and that should be obvious to all. Same with Dorka andc Liv.

The bench is Christyn, E and Azzi for the guards. Christyn can be instant offense off the bench. Azzi will get her minutes.Aaliyah is the front court bench.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Christyn, Paige, and Olivia start, regardless.
The other two?
I'll enjoy the ride, watching it figure itself out.

Reaction Score
No... I think that falls in Geno job jar not ours.
I would not consider you qualified considering you don't even know what position Caroline plays and you want to make Azzi into a PG.
I don't think I have ever recommended Azzi as a point guard #1 but Paige as the point guard also has some anomalies as well doesn't it? Paige did most of our scoring for one and was needed to do most of our scoring. Azzi would probably be better at it though than Evina ( as has recently been shown ) and Nika. People describe basketball in more specific terms in today's world. ( I'm old ) but to me a forward is someone who plays more under the basket generally. I get that you can be a forward and play outside ala Kevin Durant but we have essentially a center ( a 5 Liv or Dorka generally ) and a power forward ( a 4 ) with a point forward ( Caroline as a 3 ). I was just saying considering our future depth at the 1 or 2 spots maybe we should go with 3 guard types and Caroline as the 4 sometimes. Key word SOMETIMES. But feel free to insult because you clearly have a gift for it. And you are not infallible as you questioned Caroline's abilities right from the start. And for the entire first few games while I and maybe 1-2 others were saying put her in coach.

Reaction Score
Generally the best lineup will probably end up with Liv and Dorka, Caroline, Paige and Chrystyn ( feel free to mark my words ) but then you have Evina, Azzi and Nika as depth in the 1 or 2 slots and there may be some utility in trying a 4 guard lineup with Caroline as the 4. When you are behind, for example, and need points fast. When you have matchup advantages. No one is recommending always going with Caroline as the 4.

Reaction Score
The ideal today is postionless basketball. Any player can play any position. Does that mean Paige should be a post player and Liv should be a point guard? Not necessarily,but we have seen times when positions flip and Liv would be at the point passing to a wing or a guard posting up another guard or a fwd.

Caroline is big enough to play multiple positions and give Geno lots of options when we have more players available.

I am not worried about her getting playing time.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that when Azzi gets more playing time and the minutes get distributed more equally over the next month, then statistical patterns will emerge that will indicate to Geno how to create his match ups and substitutions depending on the opponent and the situation.
Basketball is a fluid game and Geno knows how to play it on the fly.
There will be potential future tweeks & injuries & scheduling & game scenarios that will dictate the situational match ups.
Each opponent can have different line up requirements, for instance depending on how each player is feeling & performing, and how far along they are in their rehab.
Not only are there analytics, but coaches in nearly all sports rotate sitting down their stars to give them rest and to increase their production after they're put back into the line up.
Some players seem to lose more of their mental focus and effectiveness the more that they play,, maybe because they exceed their optimum level of performance, or because some defenders apply more pressure than others.
Geno will try to figure out a balance for the team that will keep them in harmony.
The Big East is a perfect laboratory for experimenting with the line up.
But the results in the Big East may not always reflect what Geno will do in the NCAA's since there will be tougher teams with more depth & talent.
Then it will become more of a chess match.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey, Skeets, 'probably unfair' might be a bit of an understatement regarding Caroline bouncing one off her foot (she didn't do that today... I believe the only such error was about the third time she handled the ball in her first game).

I appreciate that you amended your message. Let's put it this way, if you cringe every time Caroline puts it on the floor, I expect you'll be cringing countless times over the next three-and-a-half seasons as she helps the Huskies to a hundred or more victories.
I should have been more specific. I'm a big CD fan but bringing the ball up court at speed is not one of CD's strengths. In an early game she dribbled the ball off her foot, recently she kicked the ball out of bounds. Those 2 incidents are not a big deal, but we have better players to quickly bring the ball up court (Nika, CW, maybe Evina, and Paige once she comes back). Once in the half court I have no problem with CD's ball handling.

Reaction Score
Azzi comes back from what? She has really only played in a few games....we don't know much about her game other than her ability to shoot well.

Reaction Score
Azzi comes back from what? She has really only played in a few games....we don't know much about her game other than her ability to shoot well.
She's effectively a high school player coming in during the second half of the season. Her role for the rest of the year, assuming she is able to come back this season, should be like Saylor's last season: run to your favorite spot, get set, and when the ball comes to you drain the 3. If she can come back and shoot 44% from 3 like she did before the injury in November, that will be a huge help for this team which has trouble throwing the ball in the ocean.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you had an opportunity to watch Azzi during the U19 World Championships this past summer, she displayed a complete game which included not only her ability to shoot, but she also ran the offense at times and played solid defense throughout the tournament.

If Azzi can just get healthy for long enough to get several full practices and games in a row under her belt, there’s a complete basketball player there, with the ability to make a difference for this UConn team.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the year Azzi was above Caroline in the rotation. And she has proven herself over and over in USA basketball. The #1 rated recruit...etc. She's not Saylor coming in at mid year. She probably plays at least 10-15 minutes a game on average and a strong case could be made for more, ergo my original point. Maybe we consider going with 4 guards sometimes with Caroline as the 4. Changing things up and having options depending on the situation is a good thing. We may need it or find it optimal in some situations.

Reaction Score
We need to consider ways to get our best 5 players PT.
Actually we need to figure out how to get our 5 best players healthy! I’m still not convinced that happens this year.

I think if we have everybody able to play, the starting lineup ends up being: Paige, Ono, Nika, CD and CW.

Reaction Score
Actually we need to figure out how to get our 5 best players healthy! I’m still not convinced that happens this year.

I think if we have everybody able to play, the starting lineup ends up being: Paige, Ono, Nika, CD and CW.
If that's the case then it fits my proposed scenario of 4 guards and Liv as the big. I prefer Azzi over Nika in that scenario but overall I'd still go with Liv, Dorka, Paige, CD and CW normally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom