AEH from a MSST Viewpoint | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AEH from a MSST Viewpoint

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And with all of that said there were times last year though brief, where AEH looked more comfortable than Megan did on the court, we have seen what happened with Nurse, who came to UConn a little under the expectation radar.. In Geno's programs kids who play a role on offense but are good defenders tend to fit in/adopt a lot faster, unless they are extremely confident players, as we are currently seeing with Christyn and have seen before with Maya and DT. Plus with all the expectations that came with being the #1 HS player on Megan's shoulders, there would have been less pressure on AEH.... But this is all just my opinion, only time will tell, whether or not they end up in the same stratosphere or not, as they are both currently unproven at the college level, even though Megan appears to be the one with greater potential...
This did not happen.

Reaction Score
Sam, sorry if I offended. Really just trying to participate. Love this board, you guys seem to have good fans who are knowledgeable. I really was curious, again did not mean to offend.
For whatever it's worth, I don't believe you said anything that was remotely offensive. Welcome to the board. Different perspectives are always interesting, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Just watched a Coach Vic presser with AEH and Anreil. Coach Vic praised both from their work ethic and attitude. He said they bring it every day and are a positive influence for the whole team. Difficult for me to understand how UCONN could every let this one get away. Coaching is more than X and O, motivation for players to succeed is also paramount.

I drink less of Geno's vino than any UCfan on the BY. A coach and a player is a match--a pair that have to be on the same wavelength for both to succeed. I disliked the entire conversation when she departed---it hurt. Then there is: She knew she screwed up at Uconn and it would have destroyed her image if she gave Vic less than 200 percent.
I like this kid, wish her the greatest of success in her new home.
Geno is an SOB at times, hard to take at times however I can't believe this was a one way street --it took 2 to make this happen. If she choose to leave this is on her. Vic has a different approach to his kids and his game, but to succeed his players must play the game he sees, make no mistake about that. It would have thrilled me had AEH joined MW this year they would have been a great complimentary pair. Que Sera Sera.

Reaction Score
I know Geno has lost his share of transfers. I don't know if any were : My way or the highway, however the coach is the BOSS, the person in Charge,

Reaction Score
I was an AEH fan from day one and saw her potential and talent as a basketball player. It was my belief and still is, that had she stayed at UConn, she would have given Megan a run for her money, however that did not occur, what I will add though as a follower of her twitter account, some of the Jabs which were clearly aimed at her former university upon leaving, leave a little to be desired and says quite a bit about her as an individual... I am still rooting for her success none the less, except, of course, should fate have it that the two programs should meet over the next 3-4 years
Is there ever a fan on here who is not a fan of every player who UConn recruits? This is a very loyal board.

Reaction Score
AEH is no KML.
What exceptions did Geno make regarding KML?
Also it’s great for WCBB for players like AEH to leave elite level programs early to get in playing time elsewhere. Makes the game much more interesting. Now if there can be one more year with UConn not winning it all that would be great. I’m not knocking UConn I’m just thrilled when I see new teams win.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly which part of my statement are you referring to CocoHusky?
This entire sentence: "And with all of that said there were times last year though brief, where AEH looked more comfortable than Megan did on the court" & especially the bolded part.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It is both amusing and frustrating to see that the topics that get the most passionate discussion are often topics upon which most people really have little direct and verified information. I liked the kid , as little as I knew about her. But I firmly believe that no one really knows the issues surrounding her departure and who deserves blame for it. I am sorry she left, but I may have been even more disappointed if she stayed. Team dynamics and player/ coach relationships are tenuous things ,and I feel obligated to support any coach when it comes to rules violations, or attitude problems, or whatever the heck happened. I wish AEH well, and I trust that the UConn staff will forge ahead with the players who did not find themselves in her situation. And as far as a MSST fan being on the Yard, that is fine as long as you don't bring your dang cowbell! Opinions yes, cowbells hell no! :eek:

Reaction Score
And with all of that said there were times last year though brief, where AEH looked more comfortable than Megan did on the court, we have seen what happened with Nurse, who came to UConn a little under the expectation radar.. In Geno's programs kids who play a role on offense but are good defenders tend to fit in/adopt a lot faster, unless they are extremely confident players, as we are currently seeing with Christyn and have seen before with Maya and DT. Plus with all the expectations that came with being the #1 HS player on Megan's shoulders, there would have been less pressure on AEH.... But this is all just my opinion, only time will tell, whether or not they end up in the same stratosphere or not, as they are both currently unproven at the college level, even though Megan appears to be the one with greater potential...
The only place she looked more comfortable was sitting on the bench. They play completely different positions and AEH did nothing but run around the 3 point line. Walker had much more to contend with, including the expectations.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sam, sorry if I offended. Really just trying to participate. Love this board, you guys seem to have good fans who are knowledgeable. I really was curious, again did not mean to offend.

Say 5 Hail Genos and put $20 in the Poor Box.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No problem, you can consider yourself one of the few who thinks it's alright for someone from an opposing school to come on here and trash the best woman's college basketball coach in the history of the game. I don't! To compare Geno's coaching talents against a man who has literally done absolutely nothing by comparison, just doesn't go over well with me (and if you were being honest it doesn't with you either). To praise a player who couldn't cut the mustard at UCONN, but supposedly is shinning at MSST is beyond understanding ... or is it? She's played in one game so far, scored 11 points in 29 minutes against a very inferior team (Virgina).

BTW, you shouldn't put so much emphasis on how many posts I've made here under my current handle. I've been around this site for at least as long as you, and most likely played, coached, and analyzed all aspects of this game longer than you are old.
He didn't trash Geno, he disagreed with what a fan said was Geno's coaching style.

Whatever happened to taking the high road, anyway?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I know what happened. Geno did the right thing for the team. She was talked to many times before he let her go. She is a very good player but the bottom line is the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW, you shouldn't put so much emphasis on how many posts I've made here under my current handle. I've been around this site for at least as long as you, and most likely played, coached, and analyzed all aspects of this game longer than you are old.
Why did you change handles then?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I fully intended to imply there was a nefarious purpose for this poster changing his or her handle.
My rationale was that someone who has "most likely played, coached, and analyzed all aspects of this game" might want to stand up and receive their due props. Unless ... they really haven't.

Reaction Score
What exceptions did Geno make regarding KML?
Also it’s great for WCBB for players like AEH to leave elite level programs early to get in playing time elsewhere. Makes the game much more interesting. Now if there can be one more year with UConn not winning it all that would be great. I’m not knocking UConn I’m just thrilled when I see new teams win.
I don't know what the other poster was referring to... do remember a constant drumbeat of conditioning discussions. Also remember K playing, and running for 40 minutes. And with the sweetest stroke in the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nope! They never prove anything in the first place.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Really. This is frowned upon and a good way to get banned.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Vic's standard and demands on players vs. Geno's makes for a very short comparison. NONE!
Coco, I agree with most of what you have said on this thread and elsewhere, but I question this statement. Vic has taken a program at Mississippi State that was basically unknown before he got there, and in a fairly short time (six or seven years) has got it to the point where it has played in two National Championship games. He also took a team that lost to UConn by 60 points in one year to beating UConn in overtime the very next year (granted, it wasn't the same UConn team, but the Bulldog roster was basically unchanged).

I don't think it can be denied that Vic has established himself as one of the best coaches in WCBB.

I have no idea how he runs his practices or what expectations he sets for his players, but whatever it is, it seems to be working quite well.

I think it is quite possible that AEH will thrive in Starkville, and that it will prove to be a better fit for her than Storrs. She may turn out to be a second incarnation of Adam Vinatieri, who left the Belichick/Brady Patriots quite a while ago (who knows why?) and has had a very impressive career with the Colts. No single program can be the best fit for every single talented and productive player.

And by the way, I don't fault Geno for making the decision he did about AEH, but I do fault him for his videotaped comments on that subject. I take even greater exception to another person's decision to post the video publicly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, I agree with most of what you have said on this thread and elsewhere, but I question this statement. Vic has taken a program at Mississippi State that was basically unknown before he got there, and in a fairly short time (six or seven years) has got it to the point where it has played in two National Championship games. He also took a team that lost to UConn by 60 points in one year to beating UConn in overtime the very next year (granted, it wasn't the same UConn team, but the Bulldog roster was basically unchanged).

I don't think it can be denied that Vic has established himself as one of the best coaches in WCBB.

I have no idea how he runs his practices or what expectations he sets for his players, but whatever it is, it seems to be working quite well.

I think it is quite possible that AEH will thrive in Starkville, and that it will prove to be a better fit for her than Storrs. She may turn out to be a second incarnation of Adam Vinatieri, who left the Belichick/Brady Patriots quite a while ago (who knows why?) and has had a very impressive career with the Colts. No single program can be the best fit for every single talented and productive player.

And by the way, I don't fault Geno for making the decision he did about AEH, but I do fault him for his videotaped comments on that subject. I take even greater exception to another person's decision to post the video publicly.
I am struggling to see any place where we differ because I strongly agree with most of what you just wrote.
This fault must be mind and my original words must have been unclear. I'll try and rephrase:
I can't imagine Geno asking AEH to do something that Vic wouldn't also ask her to do.
Likewise I can't imagine Vic asking AEH to do something that Geno wouldn't also ask her to do.
The basketball demands at Mississippi State and UCONN are very similar. E.g. Vic benched a few starters a few season ago because they were not playing the right way. I think I may have heard of Geno doing the same thing once or twice. I fully agree that the environments maybe different enough that a player might thrive in one vs. the other=best fit. I hope AEH thrives in Starkville.
Like you, I find fault with Geno remarks, but none with his decision. I find no fault with the poster of the video because I know he had no ill intent towards Geno and would never want to harm this program. I find fault with AEH for not living up to a "program expectation" (whatever it was) because she has been around this program longer than any UCONN player I can remember. AEH has been around the UCONN program since her grade school days. That is long enough to not only know the expectations but also long enough to decide if you want to live up to them. She did not.
BTW Adam Vinatieri 9 years with the Pats=3 Championships. Adam Vinatieri 12 years with the Colts=1 Championships. I guess it all depends how you measure success.

Reaction Score
Really. This is frowned upon and a good way to get banned.
I have two handles and have no idea how. One just shows up when I sign in every once in a blue moon. I don't understand how. I just go with it.

Reaction Score
Just watched a Coach Vic presser with AEH and Anreil. Coach Vic praised both from their work ethic and attitude. He said they bring it every day and are a positive influence for the whole team. Difficult for me to understand how UCONN could every let this one get away. Coaching is more than X and O, motivation for players to succeed is also paramount.

3-10 FG's 2 rb 0 assists tonight off the bench. She sure likes to shoot. Could be why she's gone. UConn = Team ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom