ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Reaction Score
Hand breaded means they push the start button on the chicken breading machine by using a finger

Reaction Score
I used to love Popeye's Fried Chicken in general. But I stopped at the one next to the Dock Shopping Ctr in Stratford on the way home from the lower Housatonic last fall. Ordered a bunch of chicken to take home and snuck a chicken sandwich into the order, too. Can't speak for the sandwich, because I couldn't/wouldn't eat any of it after taking a bite of a breast and ended up with a mouthful of pink and spongy, not nearly cooked chicken. Wife cut open another piece, and it was more of the same. I'm of the one strike and you're history school when it comes to dangerously bad food. The sandwich went into the trash along with the rest of it. I complained via their website. They send me 2 $5 coupons. Threw 'em away.
I can walk to that Popeyes. But I rather drive to North Haven to get a Chik-Fil-A sandwich.

I love being treated like I'm special.

There is a Dunkin' up the road in Milford. That gets my order wrong 100% of the time. We go there for the laughs.

Service to me is important.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
( managed kfc Vernon when at uconn)
shooting star GIF

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Damn that looks amazing, like something I’d tune in to watch Action Bronson eat

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Franchise vs company stores I’m sure ( managed kfc Vernon when at uconn)
100%.

Within 2 hours, a phone call came into my ear buds with an 860 area code caller ID announced. I was vacuuming the car interior, but decided to answer. Kind of dumb, because I couldn't really understand the caller, and was saying as much when he restated "KFC," so I paused & paid attention. I was favorably impressed by the prompt response.

He drew distinction between corporate-owned outlets and a franchisee's option to price differently. I think he even referenced fine print in TV commercials that provides a heads up. That impressed me too - UNfavorably.

I thanked for the info, and told him I wouldn't be visiting that store any more. I won't. It's bookended by 2 BK's, and my favorite Popeye's is half a mile away.

"The More You Know," indeed, @8893 - I've got a story that links the guy who designed that graphic, Stuart Smalley, and a monogrammed terrycloth bathrobe I once offered to Al Franken, while briefly interrupting him from tossing a football with his son in Riverside Park.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
100%.

Within 2 hours, a phone call came into my ear buds with an 860 area code caller ID announced. I was vacuuming the car interior, but decided to answer. Kind of dumb, because I couldn't really understand the caller, and was saying as much when he restated "KFC," so I paused & paid attention. I was favorably impressed by the prompt response.

He drew distinction between corporate-owned outlets and a franchisee's option to price differently. I think he even referenced fine print in TV commercials that provides a heads up. That impressed me too - UNfavorably.

I thanked for the info, and told him I wouldn't be visiting that store any more. I won't. It's bookended by 2 BK's, and my favorite Popeye's is half a mile away.

"The More You Know," indeed, @8893 - I've got a story that links the guy who designed that graphic, Stuart Smalley, and a monogrammed terrycloth bathrobe I once offered to Al Franken, while briefly interrupting him from tossing a football with his son in Riverside Park.
The only unbelievable thing in that Al Franken story is that you interrupted him "briefly" :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
TV
The only unbelievable thing in that Al Franken story is that you interrupted him "briefly" :)
Context is everything.

He got back to his son quickly enough with a laughable tale to explain away the stranger who intruded on a public person's private life.

And I arrived at the Hayden Planetarium within a minute of my favorite aunt and her oldest grandchild, in order to meet the boyfriend->fiance->husband of 16 years before anyone else in my family.

But yes, my brain is wired to instantly expand all elements of the chance encounter into the sizeable essay that ongoingly bursts inside or toward me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think I'm headed to the Rt 80 New Haven BK tomorrow for a Chicken sammich. I gots to know.
Let’s have review, dove!!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hand breaded means they push the start button on the chicken breading machine by using a finger

When I worked at Roy Rogers in the mid-80's we definitely hand shaked all the chicken in to the flour mixture before the chicken hit the fryer.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

tasty thread.
'Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in the home town
Waiting for dove to show us the way'

if his review comes back thumbs up, i just may try one.
now, that's juice!

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

tasty thread.
'Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in the home town
Waiting for dove to show us the way'

if his review comes back thumbs up, i just may try one.
now, that's juice!

Cindy Lou Who????

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you look closely you can see the exact moment when his heart breaks.

1ROX.gif
Yep, basically, "I choo-choo-choose not."

At least I was prepared for the reviewer by watching his piece on Pizza Hut's Detroit Style, which was at a price point too high to try, based on the reviews I watched.

Here, I feel less ripped off by KFC, and am thinking that Ch'King is all that's left for me. My expectation going in a 'less urban' vibe to complement to fellow RBI Corp's Popeye's offering.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
from the shake-u-down shack review;
'This sandwich promises a honey-glazed fried piece of chicken topped with a habanero mayo sauce made with pickled fresh habanero peppers.'
i can't unsee that, i am severely damaged, and will have to depart immediately to onnadoz wellness resort re-education places where they serve cold water, lettuce, tomato, and cheese sandwiches, and a baked apple for dessert. at least it totally crushed any silly notion that i may try one based on dove's reviews. if these things are so wonderful, why aren't they served as fried chix, bread, and mebbe some plain veggies?
and speaking of the dove review,

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is where my chicken sandwich adventure will likely end - I don’t feel like I can eat another one of these things.

But I went to Popeyes tonight.

I am again ignoring the construction of the sandwich. It was every bit the disaster that McDonald’s was and then some. I think any place where the sandwich has to be slipped into a bag is going to be a wreck, but they got so much sauce on this that it was actually a hazard while I was driving.

This sandwich is on a different planet than McDonald’s. If anyone thinks the McD’s sandwich is better, get that person out of your life. The McD’s sandwich exists because they need a spicy chicken sandwich on the menu. In this case, I think Popeyes exists to bring you this sandwich.

It’s good. It’s not sit-down-restaurant good, but it’s good. The level of quality is clearly way up from McD’s - the pickles are large slices in comparison to the pickle flake that McD’s uses. The sauce is spicy, but tastes good and the chicken breast is a proper chicken breast. The bun is obviously fast food, but it’s fine.

My biggest issue with this sandwich is philosophical….when do you eat this thing? It’s massive. It’s way too big for lunch and why would you eat it for dinner? It is a meal without a home.

Anyway….

My rating - 6/10. On a scale where 0 is inedible and 10/10 is a made to order marvel at some indy chicken place, this is a six. It’s fast food and encumbered by all that comes with being made in mass, but it’s good. I will never have another one, but I will remember this one semi-fondly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will never have another one, but I will remember this one semi-fondly.
There’s got to be a marketing campaign theme there.

Reaction Score
This is where my chicken sandwich adventure will likely end - I don’t feel like I can eat another one of these things.

But I went to Popeyes tonight.

I am again ignoring the construction of the sandwich. It was every bit the disaster that McDonald’s was and then some. I think any place where the sandwich has to be slipped into a bag is going to be a wreck, but they got so much sauce on this that it was actually a hazard while I was driving.

This sandwich is on a different planet than McDonald’s. If anyone thinks the McD’s sandwich is better, get that person out of your life. The McD’s sandwich is exists because they need a spicy chicken sandwich on the menu. In this case, I think Popeyes exists to bring you this sandwich.

It’s good. It’s not sit-down-restaurant good, but it’s good. The level of quality is clearly way up from McD’s - the pickles are large slices in comparison to the pickle flake that McD’s uses. The sauce is spicy, but tastes good and the chicken breast is a proper chicken breast. The bun is obviously fast food, but it’s fine.

My biggest issue with this sandwich is philosophical….when do you eat this thing? It’s massive. It’s way too big for lunch and why would you eat it for dinner? It is a meal without a home.

Anyway….

My rating - 6/10. On a scale where 0 is inedible and 10/10 is a made to order marvel at some indy chicken place, this is a six. It’s fast food and encumbered by all that comes with being made in mass, but it’s good. I will never have another one, but I will remember this one semi-fondly.
I can't believe this thread got you eating this cr@p.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom