ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Reaction Score
Hungry Anthony Bourdain GIF

Liking that sandwich!

Reaction Score
Always liked and respected your food posts, but the BK sandwich was horrible. I’m surprised anyone likes it. Very bland as are they all but damn try Mc Donald’s again it’s waaaay better. And most of you are right, in the real world they all are not good.

Reaction Score
I'd not been in our one local McDonalds in the 12 years we've lived here. But I'd read good things about their new chicken sandwich, and I'm a sucker for a fried chicken sandwich, so I tried it about 3 weeks ago. It was pretty horrendous. I couldn't tell if it was an actual unprocessed chicken breast, or a giant McNugget. And the sandwich itself was literally the chicken object, 2 pickles and a bun. Nothing else. It was about the driest thing I've ever eaten. I gave up 3/4 of the way through.

It looks like the "spicy" version at least has some sort of sauce on it, so maybe that's edible.
Gotta get the deluxe

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Always liked and respected your food posts, but the BK sandwich was horrible. I’m surprised anyone likes it. Very bland as are they all but damn try Mc Donald’s again it’s waaaay better. And most of you are right, in the real world they all are not good.

The new BK chicken sandwich is only a couple of months old. You tried that one? Because it crushes the McDs version. I can’t imagine anybody who actually tried both preferring McDonalds.

Reactions: THC

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hungry Anthony Bourdain GIF
e
Liking that sandwich!
It is complete blasphemy using Bourdain's quote in a thread about fast food chain chicken sandwiches.

Anyone who knows about Bourdain knows the sandwich of his wet dreams is the chivito from Uruguay.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It is complete blasphemy using Bourdain's quote in a thread about fast food chain chicken sandwiches.

Anyone who knows about Bourdain knows the sandwich of his wet dreams is the chivito from Uruguay.
Bourdain was constantly hammered on his show and dedicated a whole episode to a Waffle House he went to after an obviously long night of drinking. He's not off limits here.

Reaction Score
Like ten years ago, I decided that I would not eat anything with added sugar to it - went to ridiculous extremes with it for about a year. Had no reason to do it and had no good explanation as to why I was doing it, but I got it into my head to do it so I did.

Grapes became my absolute favorite food on the planet. You know how like purple grape gum tastes with that exaggerated flavor? That is what grapes started to taste like.
It's funny, I started getting into purple grapes a few years ago and now i want nothing to do with green grapes. I think they taste like crap. They probably don't but the purple grapes have done something to my brain.

Reaction Score

@storrsroars, that was not to discredit the late "GREAT" Anthony Bourdain in any way. No insolent was meant here. "It's a GIF and only a GIF." It was meant in jest regarding ADubs creation.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd not been in our one local McDonalds in the 12 years we've lived here. But I'd read good things about their new chicken sandwich, and I'm a sucker for a fried chicken sandwich, so I tried it about 3 weeks ago. It was pretty horrendous. I couldn't tell if it was an actual unprocessed chicken breast, or a giant McNugget. And the sandwich itself was literally the chicken object, 2 pickles and a bun. Nothing else. It was about the driest thing I've ever eaten. I gave up 3/4 of the way through.

It looks like the "spicy" version at least has some sort of sauce on it, so maybe that's edible.

Ahem…it is not.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bourdain was constantly hammered on his show and dedicated a whole episode to a Waffle House he went to after an obviously long night of drinking. He's not off limits here.
giphy-1-3KIrcw.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's funny, I started getting into purple grapes a few years ago and now i want nothing to do with green grapes. I think they taste like crap. They probably don't but the purple grapes have done something to my brain.

It’s true.

Green, bitter little jealous things wishing they were purple grapes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had to do a road trip for work with a coworker. 550 miles mostly on I-95.

Around 1pm it was time for lunch. Hit Chick Fil A up. Got a regular and a spicy sandwich along with frosted lemonade. Took 10 minutes from off ramp ramp to back on hwy.

Sandwiches were perfect for road trip. Ate one right away and had the second about 30 min later. No sauces, no messes, no wilted veggies. Chicken, pickle, bun. Done.

Reaction Score
I've always been a bojangles over zaxby person but haven't been south lately to try the chicken sandwich they came out with. I would guess it would be high on the list.

I think chik fila is one of the most over rated over hyped places ever. Its good but it's not that good

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

He was also a big fan of Papaya King. It's blasphemy trying to make Bourdain into a foody.

Reaction Score
I’ll preface this post by saying I’m not vegan, but I will eat some vegan food. My wife and I were heading to Old Saybrook last weekend and were advised by friends to stop at Three Girls Creamery in Guilford. Holy crap, this fried “chicken” was insane. As was everything else we tried. Highly recommend.
E464EB09-35F2-4B2E-B950-ADE19A539AE5.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He was also a big fan of Papaya King. It's blasphemy trying to make Bourdain into a foody.
You're inferring that Papaya King and foodie are mutually exclusive. They most assuredly are not.

One of Bourdain's core philosophies was that in visiting a new place, find out what they do better than anywhere else. Whether that's dirty water hotdogs, floppy street pizza, or Papaya King, all of those are things NYC does better than anywhere. They may not be the best examples of those food categories, but NYC has a unique take on them.

For the most part, that does not extend to national fast food chains. Which is why Bourdain can get effusive about an In-and-Out because you're not getting that just anywhere.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
odd timing for the cheddar biscuit thing. yesterday at the super, we noticed a free standing display for rl cheddar biscuit mix on sale for $1.99, normally $2.19 (some deal....). i had them once or twice at rl, tho haven't eaten there lately. i did not know that they are a 'thing.' pretty simple directions -water, cheddar, one other thing, mebbe butter. i pay close attention when someone sez 'we should get/do/etc this' cuz if the effort part means only me doing the job, then im usually like 'oh, so u mean that you would like it if i do the heavy lifting.' cooks, u know what im talking aboot. didn't buy it, bought some croissants instead, no work required, and nobody seemed to mind that.

Reaction Score
You're inferring that Papaya King and foodie are mutually exclusive. They most assuredly are not.

One of Bourdain's core philosophies was that in visiting a new place, find out what they do better than anywhere else. Whether that's dirty water hotdogs, floppy street pizza, or Papaya King, all of those are things NYC does better than anywhere. They may not be the best examples of those food categories, but NYC has a unique take on them.

For the most part, that does not extend to national fast food chains. Which is why Bourdain can get effusive about an In-and-Out because you're not getting that just anywhere.
I'm pretty sure he was on the record stating the KFC mac and cheese was one of his favorite things to eat.

Reaction Score
How does anyone go to McDonald’s and come away underwhelmed?

You went to a McDonalds….what were your expectations?
The McD 1/4 pounder with cheese(hot) is better than most upscale $15 burgers many restaurants are hawking. The bun/meat/ cheese ratio is perfect and that’s not an accident. But I guess many here prefer burgers you can’t actually fit in the mouth ( but look impressive) to take a bite of. JMO. Will try the chicken but don’t expect much.

Reaction Score

Bourdain in my opinion was one of the best around, was he a foodie? By the new definition standard of foodie , no!

Definition of foodie

: a person having an avid interest in the latest food fads

It must get a bit mundane when you travel the world at these incredible and fascinating obscure places. But did he like his Popeyes though?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom