ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Reaction Score
Popeye's pissed me off when I first tried and ordered a spicy sandwich, hold the mayo. The cashier told me the mayo is the spice. There is no difference in the seasoning between regular and spicy. Big time no go for me. Need some heat in the breading. Ideally heat should be in a buttermilk bath the chicken sits in prior to breading.
Their regular chicken has spicy breading option, but for the sandwich they just do the spice in the sauce.

I prefer a spicy sauce to a spicy breading because the sauce has the fat already in place to balance out the spice. But you can't do that on normal fried chicken because you're at risk of losing the crisp and crunch. But because it's spread on the bun, it works well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Their regular chicken has spicy breading option, but for the sandwich they just do the spice in the sauce.

I prefer a spicy sauce to a spicy breading because the sauce has the fat already in place to balance out the spice. But you can't do that on normal fried chicken because you're at risk of losing the crisp and crunch. But because it's spread on the bun, it works well.

Exactly. They offer spicy chicken with the spice in the breading for their regular fried chicken. Not much effort to extend that to a chicken sandwich.

I'm not saying you are wrong liking a spicy sauce vice spice in the breading. However, now knowing this, if you are on the side of the road on fire, I won't stop to piss on you. Sorry, not sorry. If you're dependent on mayonnaise to balance out spiciness for you, we need to weed you out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

33775355_587435864982871_3488698743656546304_n.jpg

/thread

Reaction Score
Chick-fil-a is like the Big Mac at McDonald's. It was the first and will always have a following. I find the Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich to be surprisingly good. However, the advanced crispiness of Popeye's and KFC are tough to beat. I haven't tried McDonald's 10th version (I may or may not be exaggerating) of the chicken sandwich as so many other fast food joints are above McDonald's on my list. As the kids got older the overall visits to these places have diminished. My general attraction is the best fries and not the other aspects of the meals. Good fries are a treat!

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.
One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".
Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.
I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Breaking development : just saw a brand new Culver’s near my Michigan office. Going to do a live review of their chick sandwich ( which is supposed to be decent) within the hour .

Reaction Score
For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.
One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".
Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.
I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant.
It would appear that you have a plethora of McChicken sauce packets.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
It would appear that you have a plethora of McChicken sauce packets.
Haha. It's a Copy/Pasta that I dropped here after stealing from another heathen board where Chicken Sammies were being debated.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hmmm, micky d's luv... i bet that we're related. lol. the other day while on the links, i overhear a relatively new bud tellin his pal that some guy working at the i-95 micky d's in madison, always greets him by name. wait, wut? i sez 'didn't u give me an insane lecture last year aboot all ur perfect food habits? and with ur wife chiming in with all her kale mania? what gives?'
he sez 'that sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit is now my favorite breakfast.'
micky d's, now serving 70 million daily. 'What a great restaurant.'

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ok decided to do a side by side .

exhibit Culver’s vs Burger king

07DA0821-5E7D-4274-AF25-8E2448D1F55B.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This isn’t even a fair fight BK wiping floor with Culver’s paltry offering

The spicy BK is really good. It's not buffalo spicy, it's something more interesting and exotic than that. A sweet spicy profile that is different than most. They need to put that sauce in the packets, there isn't enough.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The spicy BK is really good. It's not buffalo spicy, it's something more interesting and exotic than that. A sweet spicy profile that is different than most. They need to put that sauce in the packets, there isn't enough.
Because BK & Popeye's are both RBI properties, and a commercial during last night's NBA game showed a closeup of a thick/crusty/flaky piece of chicken, I'm on closer watch for a BK coupon.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine anything outside of Popeyes topping the Ch"King. I had it once and it was an amazing experience.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In order to be an informed poster, I tried the spicy chicken sandwich from McDonald’s tonight.

I would say that it is better than their normal fare, but there is no metric where I would say that this is a good thing to eat. It’s not cheap for what it is, it’s not good for what it is and I don’t think anyone should eat one. I ate about 2/3rds of it and tossed it.

It’s oddly chewy and has an aftertaste of stale McDonald’s atmosphere. You know how every McDonald’s has that weird McDonald’s smell? The chicken absorbed it and the smell now has a physical form. It’s just off. The sauce is just something designed to burn your mouth a bit to differentiate this chicken sandwich from the two others that they sell. They all start life the same and then they slap on sauce and tell this one that it’s the bad boy of the trio. It is not. The bun is a performative piece complete with chemically-induced burnt edges to give it the appearance of having once touched a grill. It has not.

I am not taking any points off for the fact that the fast food technician had trouble lining up the chicken and the bun which made it just a sloppy mess to deal with. I doubt my experience will be unique - you should expect this to look as bad as it tastes.

My Rating: 2/10. It tastes worse than the loafers of the marketing exec who willed this thing into being.

Reaction Score
In order to be an informed poster, I tried the spicy chicken sandwich from McDonald’s tonight.

I would say that it is better than their normal fare, but there is no metric where I would say that this is a good thing to eat. It’s not cheap for what it is, it’s not good for what it is and I don’t think anyone should eat one. I ate about 2/3rds of it and tossed it.

It’s oddly chewy and has that typical aftertaste of stale McDonald’s atmosphere. The sauce is just something designed to burn your mouth a bit to differentiate this chicken sandwich from the two others that they sell. They all start life the same and then they slap on sauce and tell this one that it’s the bad boy of the trio. It is not. The bun is a performative piece complete with chemically-induced burnt edges to give it the appearance of having once touched a grill. It has not.

I am not taking any points off for the fact that the fast food technician had trouble lining up the chicken and the bun which made it just a sloppy mess to deal with. I doubt my experience will be unique - you should expect this to look as bad as it tastes.

My Rating: 2/10. It tastes worse than the loafers of the marketing exec who willed into being.
I really believe the McChicken is better. Why would I spend $5+ on this thing when a McChicken is $1.60

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I really believe the McChicken is better. Why would I spend $5+ on this thing when a McChicken is $1.60

I have never had the McChicken, but I’m guessing you are 100% correct.

I completely believe that at some point, a McDonald’s rep went to a huge chicken farm and asked them if they were doing anything with the carcasses that were not good enough for the frozen tender trade.

Reaction Score
My son and 3 friends did a regular fried chicken sandwich taste test recently and here was his ranking.

1). Popeye's - Liked the crispy breading and pickles and mayo on it.
2). Chick-Fil-A - Good quality chicken.
3). McDonald's - Surprisingly good.
4). Burger King - Not great but wasn't really hot so couldn't give it a fair chance.
5). KFC - Surprisingly the quality of the chicken didn't seem very good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom