ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was on the record stating the KFC mac and cheese was one of his favorite things to eat.

Bourdain in my opinion was one of the best around, was he a foodie? By the new definition standard of foodie , no!

Definition of foodie

: a person having an avid interest in the latest food fads

It must get a bit mundane when you travel the world at these incredible and fascinating obscure places. But did he like his Popeyes though?
Not chicken sandwiches though.

I personally never understood the popularity of mac n cheese as something to actively seek out. Food threads like "who has the best mac n cheese" are just plain silly, IMO. I can't and don't want to put words in Bourdain's mouth, but I'd think got this in his soul. It's simple comfort food that should be cheap and plentiful and filling and not really worth going gaga about or embellishing with all sorts of fancy schmancy stuff. So you get KFC and Popeyes.

I also don't know what "foodie" actually means anymore. I'd say Bourdain was a "gastronome", or someone who appreciates food as part of the culture from which it originates. Which is how one gets around to choking down a poorly cooked and uncleaned boar rectum and trying to smile while doing so.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I personally never understood the popularity of mac n cheese as something to actively seek out. Food threads like "who has the best mac n cheese" are just plain silly, IMO. I can't and don't want to put words in Bourdain's mouth, but I'd think got this in his soul. It's simple comfort food that should be cheap and plentiful and filling and not really worth going gaga about or embellishing with all sorts of fancy schmancy stuff. So you get KFC and Popeyes.

I also don't know what "foodie" actually means anymore. I'd say Bourdain was a "gastronome", or someone who appreciates food as part of the culture from which it originates. Which is how one gets around to choking down a poorly cooked and uncleaned boar rectum and trying to smile while doing so.

Ha. Went to a BBQ joint last week I hadn't ever gone to before. Got a platter and my standard BBQ test is pulled pork for meat and mac and cheese or corn bread for sides. I figure if you're a BBQ joint and you can't get those right, the rest of your menu will suck too.

For the mac and cheese I"m looking to see if they actually make their own or just serve some pre-packaged stuff. The mac and cheese at this place was definitely made in house and rocked. So did the pulled pork, ribs, smoked bone-in thighs. My coworker got the beef sausage and brisket. Brisket was okay. The beef sausage was great.

Would I ever order mac and cheese as a main course at a restaurant? Doubtful. But I've definitely seek it out at BBQ joints and food trucks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ha. Went to a BBQ joint last week I hadn't ever gone to before. Got a platter and my standard BBQ test is pulled pork for meat and mac and cheese or corn bread for sides. I figure if you're a BBQ joint and you can't get those right, the rest of your menu will suck too.

For the mac and cheese I"m looking to see if they actually make their own or just serve some pre-packaged stuff. The mac and cheese at this place was definitely made in house and rocked. So did the pulled pork, ribs, smoked bone-in thighs. My coworker got the beef sausage and brisket. Brisket was okay. The beef sausage was great.

Would I ever order mac and cheese as a main course at a restaurant? Doubtful. But I've definitely seek it out at BBQ joints and food trucks.
I'm all about the sides when it comes to BBQ joints. I actually get bored with meat as it's all the same flavor note, so I do like 2-3 different proteins on my plate. In Texas, I'll always have a sausage with brisket, and I think that's why I prefer Texas to other BBQ styles.

Wife and I have been having conversations about where to retire to and she's finally open to outside the US. We're going to plan a trip to San Miguel de Allende as the first place to try out for six months (although we're a couple years away from that). I mentioned that "American BBQ" would be non-existent but we'd probably find some good Brazilian or Argentine grilled meat places, and there's always asado everywhere. We're both good with that. I don't think I'd miss American BBQ at all.

Reaction Score

Mac and cheese pizza. Diet food. Try it. Eat a couple slices (if you can) and you're probably full for a couple days.
Have had it twice (need to have several months in between at least...I get full just thinking about it.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm all about the sides when it comes to BBQ joints. I actually get bored with meat as it's all the same flavor note, so I do like 2-3 different proteins on my plate. In Texas, I'll always have a sausage with brisket, and I think that's why I prefer Texas to other BBQ styles.

Wife and I have been having conversations about where to retire to and she's finally open to outside the US. We're going to plan a trip to San Miguel de Allende as the first place to try out for six months (although we're a couple years away from that). I mentioned that "American BBQ" would be non-existent but we'd probably find some good Brazilian or Argentine grilled meat places, and there's always asado everywhere. We're both good with that. I don't think I'd miss American BBQ at all.

So my coworker got the brisket, sausage and ribs on his platter. I told him I usually like to see or sample the brisket since I'm a bit picky on how much of the fat cap I want served to me. I get using the fat cap for the smoking and flavor but I don't want to pay for fat.

Reaction Score

"Not chicken sandwich though" because it was not introduced at Popeye's until 2019. Bourdain passed away in in 2018. I think if he liked their chicken (that was stated in article) he would have liked the chicken sandwich also. Hmmm.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The McD 1/4 pounder with cheese(hot) is better than most upscale $15 burgers many restaurants are hawking. The bun/meat/ cheese ratio is perfect and that’s not an accident. But I guess many here prefer burgers you can’t actually fit in the mouth ( but look impressive) to take a bite of. JMO. Will try the chicken but don’t expect much.

You're crazy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mac and cheese pizza. Diet food. Try it. Eat a couple slices (if you can) and you're probably full for a couple days.
Have had it twice (need to have several months in between at least...I get full just thinking about it.)

No chance of Mac and cheese pizza.

Go to CiCi's or Chuck E Cheese to see one of those abominations.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Not chicken sandwich though" because it was not introduced at Popeye's until 2019. Bourdain passed away in in 2018. I think if he liked their chicken (that was stated in article) he would have liked the chicken sandwich also. Hmmm.
Not necessarily. A sandwich is more than whatever meat is on it. The hallmark Pittsburgh Primanti's sandwich is ruined, IMO, by soggy fries that suck up all the vinegar from the cole slaw, which also permeates the insipid roll it's on, so regardless if you like the kielbasa or capicola or whatever, every sandwich basically ends up tasting like vinegar and fry oil.

I've only seen him comment on the mac & cheese. If he liked the chicken, then I'd want to know in what context. Regardless, the guy didn't make a diet out of it.

I'm not above eating fast food crap, but it's almost always on the road and out of desperation unless it something unique to an area, and if it's a national chain, it's almost always Wendy's. I used to seek out Del Taco back in the 80s whenever I was in SoCal. I've done Culvers up in WI. Smashburger in NJ. And other regional chains I don't recall. I would agree with Bourdain that an In-and-Out animal style is the king of fast food burgers in that price range (considerably less than Five Guys or Fuddruckers).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The McD 1/4 pounder with cheese(hot) is better than most upscale $15 burgers many restaurants are hawking. The bun/meat/ cheese ratio is perfect and that’s not an accident. But I guess many here prefer burgers you can’t actually fit in the mouth ( but look impressive) to take a bite of. JMO. Will try the chicken but don’t expect much.
Post/avatar

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On my way between Cosey Beach and Westville, I stopped at the Whalley Avenue KFC at lunchtime to give a spicy chicken sandwich the second tasting I'd earlier promised here.

Same conclusion: I have no objections, but it still strikes me as lacking some flavor notes I reliably get from Popeye's for a dollar less. The $4.99 came as a surprise.

The breast was thick and consistently-cooked throughout, not crap.

Two BKs (like 2 McD's) lie between downtown and the RTs 63 & 69 split along Whalley Ave.

The Ch'King will get its shot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So my coworker got the brisket, sausage and ribs on his platter. I told him I usually like to see or sample the brisket since I'm a bit picky on how much of the fat cap I want served to me. I get using the fat cap for the smoking and flavor but I don't want to pay for fat.
How do you deal with bacon or pork belly?

I won't even mention lardo ;-)

Reaction Score
I've only seen him comment on the mac & cheese. If he liked the chicken, then I'd want to know in what context. Regardless, the guy didn't make a diet out of it.
Article starts off:
"Anthony Bourdain is perfectly happy tucking into a cardboard box full of chicken from Popeyes. The Kitchen Confidential author has professed his love for the chain several times over the years."

He did go there for 3 days straight though. Unfortunately that's all we have to go by.
I'm really not a fast food guy. Like yourself it's mostly for convenience when on the road. Even at that, I try to find other alternatives. But I do like Popeyes chicken sandwich when I have that urge. Have not tried the others. McDonald's no way, cause everything there have that McD's taste with exception of the fries. BK & KofC, will try at some point.

Reaction Score
McDonalds 1/4 pounder is better than the big mac and that's about it.

Whopper > Daves Single > 1/4 lb with cheese.

Reaction Score

This is a horrible take.

Even if you don’t like “high end” restaurant burgers there are million local places that do McDonalds way better than McDonalds does.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How do you deal with bacon or pork belly?

I won't even mention lardo ;-)

I would never order bacon at a BBQ joint. Pork Belly? If done right, it's phenomenal. Another good one I'll try if I see on the menu is burnt ends.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I would never order bacon at a BBQ joint. Pork Belly? If done right, it's phenomenal. Another good one I'll try if I see on the menu is burnt ends.
I was referring to your aversion to paying for fat.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
ADub - you're a monster for your needless environmental misuse of the endangered cheddar bay biscuit. :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
ADub - you're a monster for your needless environmental misuse of the endangered cheddar bay biscuit. :)

This brings to mind the adorable child in my life who coined the "Red Monster" familect* that replaced the official corporate crustacean RL, in the same way that @8893's father effectively renamed "Brightboat" for his sons.

* family + dialect

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On my way between Cosey Beach and Westville, I stopped at the Whalley Avenue KFC at lunchtime to give a spicy chicken sandwich the second tasting I'd earlier promised here.

Same conclusion: I have no objections, but it still strikes me as lacking some flavor notes I reliably get from Popeye's for a dollar less. The $4.99 came as a surprise.

The breast was thick and consistently-cooked throughout, not crap.

Two BKs (like 2 McD's) lie between downtown and the RTs 63 & 69 split along Whalley Ave.

The Ch'King will get its shot.
Light follow-up: KFC ran a commercial during the Suns-Bucks game last night, and the price showed as $3.99. I filled out a character-limited online form this morning, asking KFC if I was overcharged.

Reaction Score
No chance of Mac and cheese pizza.

Go to CiCi's or Chuck E Cheese to see one of those abominations.

I'm afraid, in this particular case, it seems you know not of what you speak... bring your appetite and try it ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Ch'King is the best thing I've had from BK in many years. The signs that said "Hand Breaded" were promising since I equate BK with Sysco. I'd get it again. But not before I try a couple of others.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Light follow-up: KFC ran a commercial during the Suns-Bucks game last night, and the price showed as $3.99. I filled out a character-limited online form this morning, asking KFC if I was overcharged.
Franchise vs company stores I’m sure ( managed kfc Vernon when at uconn)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom