ADB on Hurley Hiring | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ADB on Hurley Hiring

Reaction Score
Here is the math on how the new men's basketball coach will be paid.

Ollie's pay was higher than many have been talking about. Here is his pay per season:

2016/2017: $3.1 million (plus deferred compensation and perks)
2017/2018: $3.2 million
2018/2019: $3.3 million
2019/2020: $3.6 million
2020/2021: $3.7 million

Let's compare it to Hurley's salary:

2018/2019: $2.75 million
2019/2020: $2.85 million
2020/2021: $2.95 million
2021/2022: $3.05 million
2022/2023: $3.15 million
2023/2024: $3.25 million

So, over the next 3 years, UConn will be saving ~$2.05 million in head coaching salary.

The next questions are how big is the buyout with Ollie and how long will you stagger the payments?

First, I'm not going to render an opinion on the "termination for cause" in Ollie's contract, but the contract language is pretty loose, so I would think Ollie would settle. Also, the contract does say that the payment schedule is negotiable.

Let's assume that Ollie and UConn reach an agreement to pay Ollie $5 million, which is about half of what he possibly could get. Then, let's assume that UConn will pay him over 5 years, or $1 million per year.

Under my scenario, the cost of firing Ollie will add over the next 3 years (Difference in salary between Ollie and Hurley plus the cost of the buyout):

2018/2019: $450k
2019/2020: $250k
2020/2021: $250k

These are not very large numbers and the cost should more than be made up with ticket sales, donations, and NCAA credits.

If this is the scenario that Benedict is using, there was no need for "donors" to step up to fund firing Ollie.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It's still stunning to me that people thought Ollie's buy out and then affording a really good coach wasn't going to happen. Whether anyone wants it to stay that way or not - the basketball program is an integral piece to the University an the state's identity. To let it just wither and die because of a buy out - and leave all that potential revenue on the table - is far more irresponsible.

It's been an incredibly well funded state university and national brand for some time. If the money isn't in the athletic budget - it's somewhere. And I told you that they'd find it. Which they did. Ollie's contract was peanuts in the big picture.
No charmin in the tters I guess.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are they backstopping the Ollie buyout? That made more sense to me. It isn't atypical to have booster help pay to get a struggling coach out.

First, they're pretty clear that they do not intend to pay the buyout.

But if they do, there are no magic bullets. This will be paid for the way everything else is.

I think athletic spending is pretty transparent as I have seen the revenue and expense breakdowns as they are publicly available.

Exactly. You can see it in black and white/

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yep. We are not supposed to know. That’s so we can’t ask questions when the donor’s kid is made head of the Humanities dept.
Money is a fungible item. It doesn't have a specific identity unless is specifically allocated for a purpose. For example, say I donate $1000 to send kids to a camp. That is called a restricted operating gift and must be used for that specific purpose. Most donors don't put restrictions per se on gifts. I think the AD was saying that salaries are a budgeted item and those who call that shot have made a commitment to provide for that amount in the overall scheme of the budget.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Let us show our appreciation to them with transparency. Let’s be able to know our state employees are working in good faith.

We know they are awesome rockstars - what’s the danger in letting some sunlight in?

Shouldn’t be anything to be angry about - if they are doing such a great job they should show the world!

Why do you hate accountability so much?

Do ADB and the rest of the staff get paid through directly through Athletic Dept funds? If there's taxes that goes to any of that, we should know what they are spending their time on. Heck, Susan puts her time into it, and the State funds her salary.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do ADB and the rest of the staff get paid through directly through Athletic Dept funds? If there's taxes that goes to any of that, we should know what they are spending their time on. Heck, Susan puts her time into it, and the State funds her salary.

The entire subsidy is tax money.

If A subsidizes B and B subsidizes C... than A subsidizes C

A is the taxpayers, B are the students and C is the AD.

That they try to hide it in a 100 level accounting trick doesn’t change much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is a good overview. This was particularly interesting to me:
Unlike Ollie’s contract, there is no mention of Hurley being a member of the professor’s union.
I hope that holds true when pen is put to paper.

Overall, the Hurley terms seem much more intelligently thought out. In the past UConn has given too much in my opinion. This contract is fair. Hurley is getting a very good deal but it's not so one sided.

Reaction Score
I’m asking why a blungling leadership team that works for the state government isn’t required to be transparent.

Are you completely braindead? If you don’t think public institutions should be transparent with revenue and spending - good for you - but that makes you a waste of oxygen.

BTW it shouldn't matter if they are bungling (or blungling for that matter) - transparency should be there.

Are they not subject to FOI on this topic?

Reaction Score
This is a good overview. This was particularly interesting to me:
I hope that holds true when pen is put to paper.

Overall, the Hurley terms seem much more intelligently thought out. In the past UConn has given too much in my opinion. This contract is fair. Hurley is getting a very good deal but it's not so one sided.

Unless the University cut a deal to carve out all the Coaches from the CBA in exchange for the Union getting something they really want in return - I’m betting that shows up in the actual executed contract (boilerplate).

CL82

Reaction Score
Unless the University cut a deal to carve out all the Coaches from the CBA in exchange for the Union getting something they really want in return - I’m betting that shows up in the actual executed contract (boilerplate).
I think you are right, unless, as you and I touched on briefly, there is a way to include coaches in a previously established exclusion.

@8893 thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think you are right, unless, as you and I touched on briefly, there is a way to include coaches in a previously established exclusion.

@8893 thoughts?

CBA Recognition Clause is pretty tightly worded...

Reaction Score
When they call to ask if you'd like to double your donation
I have donated every year for decades. Depending on my circumstances it has been quite modest (like 20 bucks)or not so modest. I have to say whether small or larger I have always received a confirmation letter. Sometimes an “official” one and a second hand written one from a student.

Reaction Score
I have donated every year for decades. Depending on my circumstances it has been quite modest (like 20 bucks)or not so modest. I have to say whether small or larger I have always received a confirmation letter. Sometimes an “official” one and a second hand written one from a student.

I know, I was just feeling snarky

CL82

Reaction Score
upload_2018-3-26_16-16-55.png

Nothing in Exclusions that really helps.

Reaction Score
The entire subsidy is tax money.

If A subsidizes B and B subsidizes C... than A subsidizes C

A is the taxpayers, B are the students and C is the AD.

That they try to hide it in a 100 level accounting trick doesn’t change much.

The finances of UConn's athletic department are pretty transparent. Heck, you can find every little detail about direct revenues and direct expenses for every sport. What you can't find is the detail on the department overhead, but that's not unusual in financial statements I study.

I did the math of the Hurley/Ollie contract above and if the settlement is $5 million spread over 5 years, the impact on the AD is very small and will certainly be offset with more revenues from men's basketball. UConn can't answer the total financial question about the impact of the Hurley hiring because they don't know what they will pay Ollie and over what time frame. If Ollie gets zero (doubtful), the net effect of hiring Hurley will be a financial gain for the athletic department.

As for the student fees, you have to be careful when you study UConn's athletic department finances. Remember, the students pay a fee, but it is not a direct subsidy to the AD as they get benefits from that fee. For example, I believe intramurals are included in the athletic department expenses. And, it includes the use of UConn's athletic facilities for student activities and events ranging from intramural football to graduations to Huskython.

The university subsidy has risen and UConn says they cover it with non-state and non-tuition funding. Sure, that is really just accounting, but state funding as a % of UConn's budget has been declining over time and it is now in the 27% range. So, if you assume 27% of the subsidy is covered by the state, that equals about $8 million.

Reaction Score
"Instead of giving Hurley ways to leave, this contract is giving him ways to stay. That, coupled with the huge buyouts on both sides, strikes me as a deal made by someone who doesn’t want to go anywhere any time soon, and would certainly give credence to Hurley’s statements that UConn is a destination job for him. Having the chance to extend this contract to up to 12 years, and to have bargained for that, doesn’t seem like the move of someone who is looking to hop to the next big P5 job opening."

108von.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom