ADB on Hurley Hiring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ADB on Hurley Hiring

Reaction Score
They're building an 8-digit soccer/olympic sports complex; I don't think it's getting cut. Also we're one of the top programs in the country. There's other ways to trim some fat if necessary.

Does soccer turn a profit?

Whaler the grouch lost all of his money gambling so now everything in the state that doesn't turn a profit needs to be cut. The university itself will be closing soon in favor of online learning. All state kids will now be learning from Youtube, all questions will be answered via Wikipedia, and all degrees will be hand delivered by the Wizard of Oz.

Really, 8 digits for a soccer stadium? Private funding I assume?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does soccer turn a profit?

Whaler the grouch lost all of his money gambling so now everything in the state that doesn't turn a profit needs to be cut. The university itself will be closing soon in favor of online learning. All state kids will now be learning from Youtube, all questions will be answered via Wikipedia, and all degrees will be hand delivered by the Wizard of Oz.

Really, 8 digits for a soccer stadium? Private funding I assume?

You are the stupidest person here. Quite an honor.

Asking how things are funded is not demanding to eliminate things that aren’t profitable.

When I say we have the athletic department WE deserve I’m specifically talking about morans like you who don’t even believe the citizens deserve a transparent government.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know Whaler has the Yard on tilt when wanting greater transparency in our AD becomes a controversial topic.

The best part is you know the metsfan actually believes the Mets are poor and can’t afford to bring in players.

Reaction Score
It’s more evidence they can’t be trusted with money.

Shouldn’t even be an option that the government can hide their sources of revenue from taxpayers.

Shouldn’t we be aware of potential conflicts of interest? Quid pro quos?

Who would accept this from the department of transportation or law enforcement?

No one.
What nonsense. It's the athletic department. It's not the DOT. Beyond which, that's PRIVATE, donated money. That is not "government revenue". It's private donations that offset the need for public tax money. And, there are two sides to that, and the donor side deserves at least some modicum of privacy. And what kind of quid pro quo do you think would be so terrible that it needs to be divulged because it could somehow be a "conflict of interest".

You're off the deep end on this. It isn't rocket science.

Reaction Score
Allowing the athletic department to accept what is essentially dark money is ridiculous.

It opens the entire university up to be manipulated by anonymous donors.

If a donor bails SuzieLax and DB out of a mess - what do they get in return?

If anyone is stupid enough to think they don’t collect...

As for CCSU in my opinion they should sponsor men’s and women’s basketball and plow the rest of the dollars they waste into student wellness and recreation.

But moran metsfan doesnt get my issue isn’t with what Hurley makes - it’s that we don’t see the math.
Right... that's the ticket. These guys don't want prime access to the team, coaches, etc., and the best seats, apparently, they ALSO want to blackmail the president and AD. You're flat out nuts.

Reaction Score
Are you arguing that we don't have a right to know where the money is coming from?
Yes. Private donations to the UCADF are not public funds and the donor information is private. Period. Again, it is not "public funding" or "government revenue". It's private money that offsets the need for public funds. The state of CT ought to be GRATEFUL for every single dollar that is donated that the state taxpayers don't have to provide to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Boosters are not paying any part of his salary.

It was a rumor that turned out not to be accurate.
Are they backstopping the Ollie buyout? That made more sense to me. It isn't atypical to have booster help pay to get a struggling coach out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes. Private donations to the UCADF are not public funds and the donor information is private. Period. Again, it is not "public funding" or "government revenue". It's private money that offsets the need for public funds. The state of CT ought to be GRATEFUL for every single dollar that is donated that the state taxpayers don't have to provide to UConn.

Let us show our appreciation to them with transparency. Let’s be able to know our state employees are working in good faith.

We know they are awesome rockstars - what’s the danger in letting some sunlight in?

Shouldn’t be anything to be angry about - if they are doing such a great job they should show the world!

Why do you hate accountability so much?

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh good another mouth breather who wants to celebrate their ignorance.

It’s a country moran jamboroo.
Easy there hoss. You've made your point. Don't validate theirs.

CL82

Reaction Score
You know Whaler has the Yard on tilt when wanting greater transparency in our AD becomes a controversial topic.
Meh, it's a timing thing. Transparency is good. Ranting about it in every Hurley thread is bad.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nope. People are arguing against people who they don’t like instead of discussing the topic at hand.
I blame the Cesspool. That's pretty much the modus operandi down there and those bad habits are apparently tough to break.

Reaction Score
I blame the Cesspool. That's pretty much the modus operandi down there and those bad habits are apparently tough to break.

Ok. Mets would’ve been better off if he just called him a miserable tool. Instead he went down a path that has an indefensible point of view.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Dumb is dumb whether you are talking sports or politics.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ok. Mets would’ve been better off if he just called him a miserable tool. Instead he went down a path that has an indefensible point of view.
He's punching above his weight class. Still making the point that transparency is good once or twice in a thread is fine. More than that gets tiresome after a while.

Whaler's not wrong, but we're a public university, it's not like the finances won't be clear in short order. Why squawk about it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never said we shouldn't be grateful. I never said we should name the donor.

But if there is money that is coming from donations, they should specify how much and where it's being spent, not who the donors are (unless they've given permission).

Unless it's funneled through the UConn foundation, I don't think private funds can go toward the contract. But where is the buy-out money coming from? It's a fair question.

Reaction Score
LOL

So you know what you posted was complete nonsense but challenged me to google what anyone with a clue already knows.

Clearly you know the student government destroyed the adminstration on the pathetic accounting tricks they deploy.

Thanks for making my point. When they pay another guy 3 million annually with a giant buy-out looming for the last guy we deserve to see the books. Only morans still buy it’s funded with non-taxpayer dollars. A bunch of 19 and 20 year olds burned that stupidity to the ground for fun in student government.

The STUDENT GOVERNMENT gets it. But the esteemed grads of such a high ranking institution just can’t figure it out.
How so, can you point to a story or link that summarizes? Not doubting, generally curious. Thanks

Reaction Score
He's punching above his weight class. Still making the point that transparency is good once or twice in a thread is fine. More than that gets tiresome after a while.

Whaler's not wrong, but we're a public university, it's not like the finances won't be clear in short order. Why squawk about it?

If people stop being stupid and challenge him on it maybe he would shut up?

Reaction Score
I think athletic spending is pretty transparent as I have seen the revenue and expense breakdowns as they are publicly available. People may not like the information, but it is out there. You may not get the detail you want immediately, but it comes out over time and you can see what every coach is paid.

Earned revenues (exclude subsidies) peaked in 2011 and they are down ~$7 million/yr. through 2017, but expenses have been going up. Based on direct revenues and expenses, the men's basketball team is the only team that makes money and football and women's basketball lose money. The direct numbers can obscure the numbers because things like royalties, licensing revenues, and some NCAA distributions are not allocated to specific teams and we know most if not all of those revenues are associated with basketball and football, but they are not allocated to those sports. Student fees have declined, but institutional support has gone up.

The biggest expense of the athletic department is overhead, which is ~33% of expenditures. That piece deserves more transparency as to why is this so high?

I think Whaler linked a presentation that Benedict gave to the state legislature about the widening funding gap in the athletic department. There were some interesting tidbits that I will share. In 2014, football ticket sales were about equal to men's and women's basketball ticket sales COMBINED. Also in 2014, Broadcast, TV, Radio, and Internet Rights were $1.125 million. I think this was mostly related to the women's basketball team.

My analysis of the situation is that there are plenty of opportunities to increase revenues in the athletic department, but men's basketball has to lead which is why you have to pay a coach as much as we do because men's basketball is where you can make the most profit. Specifically, here is where you can fill the revenue/expense gap without cutting sports:

1) Winning football and men's basketball will drive higher ticket sales, donations, and sponsorships.
2) Do more guarantee games in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.
3) Better monetize women's basketball. UConn is driving women's basketball revenues when they play on the road, but UConn is not benefiting. Maybe you do some neutral site guarantee games instead of some of the non-conference road games.
4) Drive more media revenues. I would think that the next AAC media rights deal will be better than the current one, but it won't be up to P5 standards. Take back out as much of the tier 3 inventory so that UConn can monetize it.
5) Better monetize men's soccer and men's hockey. In 2014, it appears that men's soccer ticket sales were between $60k and $70k, yet we had total attendance of 39k. (Men's soccer directed donations were $137k.)
6) Each team should have a fundraising focus. For example, in 2014, the men's golf team had donations equal to ~27% of total direct expenses and baseball had donations equal to ~21% of total direct expenses.
7) Figure out how to reduce department overhead.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How so, can you point to a story or link that summarizes? Not doubting, generally curious. Thanks

It’s in the post after the one you quoted.

Reaction Score
Let us show our appreciation to them with transparency. Let’s be able to know our state employees are working in good faith.

We know they are awesome rockstars - what’s the danger in letting some sunlight in?

Shouldn’t be anything to be angry about - if they are doing such a great job they should show the world!

Why do you hate accountability so much?

Sunburn?

CL82

Reaction Score
If people stop being stupid and challenge him on it maybe he would shut up?
If history is a guide, that's unlikely. Just sayin.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A quick Google search reveals the following UConn salaries paid by state funds for 2017:
Geno Auriemma - $400, 233.00
Kevin Ollie: $398, 242.00
Randy Edsel: $373,230.00

Total salaries:
Auriemma - $2,280.000.00 per year
Ollie: $3,000,000.00 per year
Edsel: $1,000.000.00

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics