Adamec: No renewal of UConn-Tennessee in Sight | The Boneyard

Adamec: No renewal of UConn-Tennessee in Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec spoke with a UConn source about the report that Holly approached Geno about renewing series. Here's what the source told Carl:
  • The conversation between Geno and Holly took place
  • Before UConn will agree to renew the series, Tennessee has "explaining" to do regarding Summitt's decision to cancel the series six years ago and how the actions surrounding that decision "put Auriemma, some of his players, and the way he runs his program in a very negative light."
Carl concluded by writing "while the Huskies have been willing to play any team, anywhere, anytime under their Hall of Fame coach, Tennessee will have to wait."

There you go. Thank you Carl. Thank you UConn source.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/no-renewal-of-uconn-tennessee-in-sight/#more-7765

Reaction Score
stwainfan said:
I want to see it.
I said:

What's changed? Was Pat a jerk for cancelling, is there a time limit on never playing cheaters, turn out that Pearl was the cheater not Geno, what is it?

Seems like my view is the UConn view.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec spoke with a UConn source about the report that Holly approached Geno about renewing series. Here's what the source told Carl:

• [ ]The conversation between Geno and Holly took place
    [ ]Before UConn will agree to renew the series, Tennessee has "explaining" to do regarding Summitt's decision to cancel the series six years ago and how the actions surrounding that decision "put Auriemma, some of his players, and the way he runs his program in a very negative light."
Carl concluded by writing "while the Huskies have been willing to play any team, anywhere, anytime under their Hall of Fame coach, Tennessee will have to wait."

Well, that is clear as can be.

Tennessee has "explaining" to do regarding Summitt's decision to cancel the series six years ago and how the actions surrounding that decision "put Auriemma, some of his players, and the way he runs his program in a very negative light."

I can't get this smile off my face.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
stwainfan said:
I want to see it.​
I said:

What's changed? Was Pat a jerk for cancelling, is there a time limit on never playing cheaters, turn out that Pearl was the cheater not Geno, what is it?

In private, Geno probably feels exactly as you have stated.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a neutral observer... I looked forward to the regular season matchup back in the day.... other than the UNC-Duke matchup.... it was the must see WCBB game of the year for me. If the series is renewed... . great...... I'll order a pizza and sit down and watch it.... if not..... great...... I'll order a pizza and sit down and watch Seinfield reruns.... :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
stwainfan said:
I want to see it.​
I said:

I said I want to see it. I just focus on the game not about what happened. I still don't know the reason for canceling the series. I always looked forward to the game. I know that some of the players both past and present are friends. Carter and KML for example are friends.

Reaction Score
Great work by Adamec. My great admiration for Geno has just increased ten fold. Don't even consider playing Tenn until someone makes an effort to correct the smear campaign Summitt laid on Geno. Very much relieved to hear he is asking for Tenn to admit that he and UConn did nothing wrong in their recruiting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I said I want to see it. I just focus on the game not about what happened. I still don't know the reason for canceling the series. I always looked forward to the game. I know that some of the players both past and present are friends. Carter and KML for example are friends.
I know he mentioned your name,but there are some threads you really should think twice about participating in.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A wrote in his blog:

Sources have since told the Courant that Warlick will not reschedule UConn out of respect to Summitt’s wishes and that while Summitt’s relationship with Auriemma has apparently mended, Warlick apparently is not ready to forgive and forget.

Sounds like Holly is not the one who isn't ready to forgive and forget. Some inconsistent statements coming out of Knoxville are beginning to make sense. I doubt Holly expected the reaction she received.

Reaction Score
I am so glad this is put to rest. I did not want it renewed. I could care less about Tennessee.... UCONN and Tennessee stopped playing. UCONN and North Carolina stopped playing... UCONN and Notre Dame will stop playing. I am okay with it all.

UCONN can play Baylor, Stanford, Duke, again and again. I would love to see Oklahoma back on the schedule. Maryland and Penn State are recent additions which are pretty decent additions. I would like to see someone better than Oregon though.... but hey... I like our schedule the last couple of years.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

• [ ]The conversation between Geno and Holly took place
    [ ]Before UConn will agree to renew the series, Tennessee has "explaining" to do regarding Summitt's decision to cancel the series six years ago and how the actions surrounding that decision "put Auriemma, some of his players, and the way he runs his program in a very negative light."

Thank you Cat for finding and posting this. I love that UConn states that Tennessee has some 'splaining to do...Lucy :p

John A wrote in his blog:

Sources have since told the Courant that Warlick will not reschedule UConn out of respect to Summitt’s wishes and that while Summitt’s relationship with Auriemma has apparently mended, Warlick apparently is not ready to forgive and forget.

Sounds like Holly is not the one who isn't ready to forgive and forget. Some inconsistent statements coming out of Knoxville are beginning to make sense. I doubt Holly expected the reaction she received.

Sheesh....oh, well

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I am so glad this is put to rest. I did not want it renewed. I could care less about Tennessee.... UCONN and Tennessee stopped playing. UCONN and North Carolina stopped playing... UCONN and Notre Dame will stop playing. I am okay with it all.
I can understand your hatred towards Tennessee, but why the animosity towards UNC and Notre Dame?

JS

Reaction Score
Yep. And then, when approached by John A. in the second of his attempts to scoop/gin up a series restart (the first was promoting a charity game), she didn't want to talk about it.

So John A. got rebuffed again, even though his instincts were partially right that something had gone down at the Hall.

Must say I've had mixed feelings all along about the "high ground" UConn ostensibly has occupied for several years -- not pushing back, schmoozing with Pat on occasion, father and daughter Auriemma both lauding her accomplishments, adhering to the "good of the game" stance of being willing to play.

Very admirable, but the currently reported actual stance seems more real and is certainly more in tune with what many of us have felt.

And the staff, in forming that stance, didn't even have the "benefit" we did of being treated to the jabbering of that cretinous segment of The Summitt that's shamelessly reiterated (and no doubt will 'til they die) nasty, unfounded accusations against UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sounds as if, and correctly so, Tennessee has some apologizing, or at the very least explaining, to do. After all, Pat was the one who cancelled the series, she was the one who initiated the 30+ page complaint to the NCAA regarding alleged violations, she was the one who said it was cancelled because of things Geno did, and then she refused to say why, acting coy and saying "Geno knows. Go ask him". Frankly every time this gets brought up again, it brings back all the memories of the dirty, nasty, and arrogant way Pat and Tennessee went about the whole affair.

Honestly, I think most can read between the lines and figure out what Pat was really accusing Geno of. If she is so unwilling to say it out loud, then one can assume it has to do with things in her personal life that she felt Geno used against her. When recruiting deeply religious players, it's an easy stone for Pat to throw, especially if she loses out on the kid... and one that can't be proven so the accusation sits out there like a rotting carcass. The funny thing is, those things in her personal life have been rumored for years, and are probably so well known in AAU circles, etc., that it's crazy to think involved parents of high school recruits don't know as well.

If Pat really was the honest pillar of society that Tennessee fans want to portray her as, she would have pulled Geno aside, told him off to his face, and had an adult conversation about what she felt he did. They then could have discussed her issues in a grown up manner. Instead she chose the juvenile back door of underhanded crap, innuendo, childish behavior, and accusations leveled at Geno and UCONN. She knew full well what she was doing in trying to paint UCONN in a negative public light, and failed miserably. UCONN continued to rake in the top recruits while Tennessee fell way down and their recruiting and image paid the price. And as a result, I hope her legacy pays a price as well.

I'm with JS on UCONN and Geno's high road stance over the past 6 years. It's nice to see some push back. Aside from all the crap Pat pulled, in public and private, newer posters (or those with short memories) forget (or were never aware of) the horror show that is often the Summitt regarding UCONN, the fact that TonyC was specifically mentioned and his posts used in the 30+ page ridiculous report, and doggydaddy was reported to the FBI by none other than the main moderator of the Summitt. 

It isn't just ignorant, bitter accusations. It's the bigoted and hate filled epithets used by some towards Geno, Chris, Diana, UCONN, and others involved with our program. And the fact that the Tennessee fans have portrayed their program and former head coach as "holier than thou" never sat well with the rest of us who watched the insanity unfold.

Now this is not to say the players aren't friendly. Good grief, they never had to live thru any of this, and many talented kids play on teams together, become friends, keep in touch while in school, and think of the other program (UCONN or Tennessee) only if they have to play each other. But that has zero to do with the issues being discussed. The kids can be great acquaintances or friends while the fans, coaches, and administration can dislike, or even despise each other.

Anyway... rant off.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As a neutral observer... I looked forward to the regular season matchup back in the day.... other than the UNC-Duke matchup.... it was the must see WCBB game of the year for me. If the series is renewed... . great...... I'll order a pizza and sit down and watch it.... if not..... great...... I'll order a pizza and sit down and watch Seinfield reruns.... :)
That better not be take out or home delivery pizza. The Duke waiters' union will have you tossed out and your degree pulled.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I definitely support the notion of the game being played, but Tennessee does indeed to move past previous bad feeling because Uconn has done nothing but represent the sport and the state of Connecticut with honor and aplomb. A game between Connecticut and Tennessee would be great for the sport as long as there is newfound mutual respect. I for one am rooting for it.

Reaction Score
In my opinion the Uconn Tennessee regular season rivalry's time has gone. I wouldn't expect any renewal of the regular season series at least until Geno retires and that could be many years from now; and then his successor would have to agree to the renewal. I prefer to focus on the ongoing Uconn rivalries such as with Stanford, Duke, and Baylor and hopefully a renewal of rivalries with Notre Dame starting next year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I for one am not.

Reaction Score
I have always posted that I wanted the series to resume and I thought maybe tenn was changing their tune. But under these conditions nope....forget it. Still hopeful for a continuation of ND-UConn.

Reaction Score

Pat Summitt used her former stature to cast aspersions on Geno in an attempt, in my opinion, to prevent Geno and his team from taking over as best and most admired in women's basketball and to shore up Tennessee's waning recruiting success.

If you do want a return of the series, I suggest you go back to Tennessee and The Summitt and start a campaign to ask Pat and the Tennessee administration to either explain Pat's unethical behavior, or just plain apologize to Geno and the UConn community for what she did.

Reaction Score
Hard to know what the truth is with conflicting stories like this.

My own take is that when the recruiting tide turned in our favor big-time, TN took their ball and went home. They knew they'd get waxed. If we'd have been playin them over the last few years we'd have like a 6 game winning streak vs them and there is no way the Rocky Top ego could handle that. So they picked a game (PR, recruiting innuendo) that they could at least compete in cause they can't stomach losing to us on the floor.

Reaction Score
the fact that TonyC was specifically mentioned and his posts used in the 30+ page ridiculous report, and doggydaddy was reported to the FBI by none other than the main moderator of the Summitt.

:eek: Please tell me this is a joke! As a relatively new fan, I wasn't around when things got really nasty between UConn and Tennessee. The fact that the Boneyard was mentioned and the FBI got involved is just ... WOW!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seems clear no in season game is happening anytime soon. The UConn conditions are the rough equivalent of asking Robert E. Lee to apologize to William Tecumseh Sherman, or so it will or does doubtlessly appear to those in the Tenn program. Pat was always imperious, prickly and entitled and for many years when she said hop the NCAA women's committee hopped. That Tenn's ridiculous, slanderous gambit failed was probably beyond bitter to her and her acolyte Warwick. Let them stew in it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
:eek: Please tell me this is a joke! As a relatively new fan, I wasn't around when things got really nasty between UConn and Tennessee. The fact that the Boneyard was mentioned and the FBI got involved is just ... WOW!
No joke.

I posted a link to a Tennessee news conference. The Summitt admin felt it was a link to private information and talked to her attorney sister who suggested she call the FBI. She did contact them.

Once we showed her that the video was on a free site with no restrictive access and didn't break any copyright laws she backed off.

Still waiting for her apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog