Adamec: LouConn and her TOC performance | The Boneyard

Adamec: LouConn and her TOC performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’ll tell you what, Katie Lou is a darn good player,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “When you’re that tall and you can shoot the ball like that? And she’s got a little nasty streak in her now."

Well, that is a really nice stocking stuffer! 10-10 threes, breaking KML's record. I can tell you from USA basketball she has some really nice moves around the hoop too. KML depart and Lou arrives. Tell me that is not the definition of serendipity.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/good-things-in-threes-for-samuelson-mater-dei/#more-14504

Anyone have an objective view of whether Katie Lou or KML has been a better trey shooter at comparable ages? I grant you that this is like comparing two 5 star hotels.

OCHoops....got an opinion?

Both are great players that I have enjoyed over the past 8 years. If anything I think Lou gets her shot off a bit quicker than KML.
I dont know if Lou has what Geno said was a nasty streak, but if you get over-physical with her, elbow or knock her down, she will make you pay. She will be a nightmare match up, as most UConn players are, down the road.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“I’ll tell you what, Katie Lou is a darn good player,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “When you’re that tall and you can shoot the ball like that? And she’s got a little nasty streak in her now."

Well, that is a really nice stocking stuffer! 10-10 threes, breaking KML's record. I can tell you from USA basketball she has some really nice moves around the hoop too. KML depart and Lou arrives. Tell me that is not the definition of serendipity.
Continuing serendipity: Kaleena arrived as Maya left. No. 23 has made more than 600 treys over 7+ seasons. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From what Im hearing Louconn could start and will get a lot of minutes. She is that good. Weve read a lot of posts about tall teams. Well UConn will be very tall and very athletic for the next 5 years. Now that scary.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Katie will end up as good of a player that Stewie is? One difference between Stewie and Katie is that Katie won't have to play in the low post as much as Stewie does. Roster will have Tuck, Butler, Collier and Boykin and they'll handle the area around the basket.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Katie will end up as good of a player that Stewie is? One difference between Stewie and Katie is that Katie won't have to play in the low post as much as Stewie does. Roster will have Tuck, Butler, Collier and Boykin and they'll handle the area around the basket.
I think Stewie is more versatile and a better defender. Lou is a better shooter. Stewie was the NPOY as a soph. That's setting the bar rather high. But Lou could threaten the UConn 3-point and scoring records, if healthy. I see them playing together in the 2020 Olympics. And at UConn in 2015-16. :)

Reaction Score
In her Friday game I saw her get nasty. She gave a much shorter girl a big whopping elbow and knocked her down, no attempt to make it look subtle or try to get away with it (she got called for an ordinary foul). Big scowl on her face, mean-spirited - not totally Grineresque, but a bit in that direction. I was kinda thinking she was a bit of a bully. But after reading what she said in the OP's linked article: “People are always trying to be physical with me, pushing me around, and trying to take me out of my game. I can’t let that happen. I can’t let anyone get away with that." I remembered what ETT said about BG's punchout of Jordan Barncastle after being physically harassed all day - something to the effect of, "the next person who guards her will have something to think about."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Continuing serendipity: Kaleena arrived as Maya left. No. 23 has made more than 600 treys over 7+ seasons. :)

Yes- specifically, 619...and counting.

By the way, if you look up the word "serendipity" in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure the definition won't be "KML departs and Lou arrives". :)

Reaction Score
In her Friday game I saw her get nasty. She gave a much shorter girl a big whopping elbow and knocked her down, no attempt to make it look subtle or try to get away with it (she got called for an ordinary foul). Big scowl on her face, mean-spirited - not totally Grineresque, but a bit in that direction. I was kinda thinking she was a bit of a bully. But after reading what she said in the OP's linked article: “People are always trying to be physical with me, pushing me around, and trying to take me out of my game. I can’t let that happen. I can’t let anyone get away with that." I remembered what ETT said about BG's punchout of Jordan Barncastle after being physically harassed all day - something to the effect of, "the next person who guards her will have something to think about."
Sounds like she could be the Next DT.. A great player who knows she's great..

Reaction Score
I LOVE the fact that she has a mean streak and will not take the rough stuff from opponents without dishing out some punishment.

My kinda' player.

Reaction Score
I LOVE the fact that she has a mean streak and will not take the rough stuff from opponents without dishing out some punishment.

My kinda' player.
She will need to pump a little iron before she can do that with people her own size

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I love it.... KML needs to shed pounds.... KLS needs to pump iron.... These kids could be SO MUCH BETTER if they just read the BY instead of listening to Geno, CD, Shea, Morissa and Rosemary.

Reaction Score
I love it.... KML needs to shed pounds.... KLS needs to pump iron.... These kids could be SO MUCH BETTER if they just read the BY instead of listening to Geno, CD, Shea, Morissa and Rosemary.
Yes they would, but in lieu of that I suspect the coaching and training staff will have KLS in the weight room, with or without our help.

Reaction Score
You've never flattened someone bigger than you???
Geez - I'm not sayin' she needs to learn to be an MMA fighter. She just has some filling out to do in order not to get moved around, and to endure and discourage the pounding she's going to get in college. I'm sure some of that will just happen naturally as she gets older and matures. I'm also pretty sure she will have the opportunity for strength training as part of her UCONN regimen.

Reaction Score
Geez - I'm not sayin' she needs to learn to be an MMA fighter. She just has some filling out to do in order not to get moved around, and to endure and discourage the pounding she's going to get in college. I'm sure some of that will just happen naturally as she gets older and matures. I'm also pretty sure she will have the opportunity for strength training as part of her UCONN regimen.
I agree. She'll no doubt get bigger and stronger as a result of UCONN's strength and conditioning program.

Her attitude towards players that would attempt to work her over physically, is a big plus, in my opinion and especially helpful for players who don't necessarily "look" the part. I don't see her ever becoming an imposing presence, but there are a number of ways to use elbows, knees and shoulders to deliver a message on a basketball court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When EDD signed her LOI, Geno commented that she had more ways to score than anyone he had seen. He also said something like she wasn't the toughest player on the block and he was wondering what would happen to her. If Lou already has some toughness, that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
When EDD signed her LOI, Geno commented that she had more ways to score than anyone he had seen. He also said something like she wasn't the toughest player on the block and he was wondering what would happen to her. If Lou already has some toughness, that's a good thing.[/QUOTE

Yes, its always a good thing to bring a little toughness to the table. It is going to be an absolute pleasure to watch Stewie and Katie Lou play together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO there are 2 levels of all time greats at UCONN - the Diana, Maya and Stewie greats, and they Tina, Swin, Sue, KML, etc. greats. The first 3 are ones who not only put up huge numbers at UCONN, but have continued to be (or will be) stars in the WNBA and on Team USA. I'm almost tempted to put Tina in the first category because she's about that good too.

My point is that Stewie is a VERY high bar to set. The question you ask is a great one to ponder. If she IS as good as Stewie, watch out!! Surrounding her with Dangerfield and Collier is like having Stewie surrounded by Tuck and Jefferson. Unfair!!!

Reaction Score
IMHO there are 2 levels of all time greats at UCONN - the Diana, Maya and Stewie greats, and they Tina, Swin, Sue, KML, etc. greats. The first 3 are ones who not only put up huge numbers at UCONN, but have continued to be (or will be) stars in the WNBA and on Team USA. I'm almost tempted to put Tina in the first category because she's about that good too.

My point is that Stewie is a VERY high bar to set. The question you ask is a great one to ponder. If she IS as good as Stewie, watch out!! Surrounding her with Dangerfield and Collier is like having Stewie surrounded by Tuck and Jefferson. Unfair!!!
You put Stewie in the Maya and Diana category? Wow.

Reaction Score

I think UCONN greats should be based on UCONN only, not including what they accomplish after graduation.
What you are describing would be simply be WBB greats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger