ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

Reaction Score
The former coach of Princeton lost me with her professed confusion about what the word "propensity" means...
I thought she was playing some sort of game with that comment, but not sure what the game was. Sarcasm, avoidance?

Reaction Score
We've seen your list of top 17 teams you root for.

How about a list of teams you hold a grudge against? That also seems to be quite long.
Ha! Where is this list of 17? I’m curious where triad dukes loyalties lie!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory - what happened in 2015?

Kinda silly, but here goes. BIt of a backstory. 1) I don't like to eat much before games, usually a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich before I leave the house, or a pack of lance peanut butter crackers while driving to Durham, or a glazed donut from Daily Donuts in Graham. 2) I like to be in the parking garage about a before the game, and in my seat about 30 minutes before til off. 3) I never leave games early 4) When its a night game, I always stop at the Wendy's in Hillsborough on my way home.

So it was the 2014-15 season, The Cards first year in the ACC, so I wanted to welcome them to the conference in person. Monday night game.. 7pm.... Duke had probably a 8-10 point lead in the final minute. The clock was nearing 9pm so I hadn't ate since probably 5pm, so I was ready to go to Wendy's. Walz either kept calling for fouls. or timeouts for whatever reason... and I was already ready for a Wendy's Biggie Bag and this was just delaying my meal. I was like, this cat (Walz) is already on my bad side in his first year. :mad: Finally the clock hit zero.. my stomach is audibly growling, and i make it back to my car and make my stop at Wendys. While driving and eating fries, I was thinking, its gonna be awhile before I forgive this Louisville coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We've seen your list of top 17 teams you root for.

How about a list of teams you hold a grudge against? That also seems to be quite long.

I don't like Chapel Hill, Maryland, Texas, or Hampton.

The grudges I have are teams that knocked Duke out of the NCAA's when we were the higher seeded team. Like Depaul, Oregon, Colorado, SW Missouri State and how can I forget MICHIGAN STATE :mad:

Ha! Where is this list of 17? I’m curious where triad dukes loyalties lie!

I root for every NC school that plays Division I except for you know who. I also pull for Presbyterian and to a lesser extent Wofford. Of course I have my favorites, and they are ranked in terms of preferences.

I get the impression you dislike a lot of people. I guess I'm one of them. ;)

No, I don't dislike anyone on this site. Its all fun and games here. Now in real life... yeah.. I got problems with quite a few people... don't get me started.

Reaction Score
Kinda silly, but here goes. BIt of a backstory. 1) I don't like to eat much before games, usually a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich before I leave the house, or a pack of lance peanut butter crackers while driving to Durham, or a glazed donut from Daily Donuts in Graham. 2) I like to be in the parking garage about a before the game, and in my seat about 30 minutes before til off. 3) I never leave games early 4) When its a night game, I always stop at the Wendy's in Hillsborough on my way home.

So it was the 2014-15 season, The Cards first year in the ACC, so I wanted to welcome them to the conference in person. Monday night game.. 7pm.... Duke had probably a 8-10 point lead in the final minute. The clock was nearing 9pm so I hadn't ate since probably 5pm, so I was ready to go to Wendy's. Walz either kept calling for fouls. or timeouts for whatever reason... and I was already ready for a Wendy's Biggie Bag and this was just delaying my meal. I was like, this cat (Walz) is already on my bad side in his first year. :mad: Finally the clock hit zero.. my stomach is audibly growling, and i make it back to my car and make my stop at Wendys. While driving and eating fries, I was thinking, its gonna be awhile before I forgive this Louisville coach.
Great story and, even though I'm a Louisville guy, your "slight" grudge seems appropriate given the circumstances.

My first ACC road game was at Cameron. I've been to several other iconic sports venues (Augusta National, Wrigley Field, Lambeau, Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and that visit to Cameron ranks right up there. Louisville lost the game, but I took a picture of Laettner's jersey hanging in the rafters and sent it to all of my UK friends, and that alone made the trip worthwhile.

Reaction Score

I introduced myself to Jeff in Nashville at the Final Four. The wife and I were at a bar/restaurant prior to a game. I told him he was my favorite coach not named Geno. He shook my hand and was quite gracious. I’ve liked him ever since.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I introduced myself to Jeff in Nashville at the Final Four. The wife and I were at a bar/restaurant prior to a game. I told him he was my favorite coach not named Geno. He shook my hand and was quite gracious. I’ve liked him ever since.
Walz, alongside Geno and Dawn Staley, are my top three "I'd love to grab a pint with" coaches. Seems like a cool dude. (And Kelly Graves is up there too, but I've always had the impression he'd rather smoke something than drink it. ;))

Reaction Score
Walz, alongside Geno and Dawn Staley, are my top three "I'd love to grab a pint with" coaches. Seems like a cool dude. (And Kelly Graves is up there too, but I've always had the impression he'd rather smoke something than drink it. ;))
Maybe he's good with both? :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Sorry Wake, Pitt, and SMU. No Biscuitville and Stamey’s BBQ for yall in Greensboro next year

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stameys is massively over rated. Just saying.

20220722_121626.jpg

Reaction Score
To each their own as someone kissed the cow. That would not be my list.

Reaction Score
We have yearly trade shows at the Greensboro colosseum and all I ever heard about was Stameys. I grew up on eastern NC BBQ so I was excited to see what the hype was … I just don’t get it. Been there twice and now I just find a food truck or something when I’m there for the shows. Doesn’t compare to Johnston county or Wilson county bbq imo.

They have a great location and clearly they have established a name in and around that area. But give me Parker’s, Stephenson’s, White Swan or Bills!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I grew up on eastern NC BBQ so I was excited to see what the hype was … Doesn’t compare to Johnston county or Wilson county bbq imo.

They have a great location and clearly they have established a name in and around that area. But give me Parker’s, Stephenson’s, White Swan or Bills!
I grew up in Kinston...we had King's BBQ there, but we often drove to Wilson and ate at Parker's.

There is nothing like eastern NC BBQ.

We have BBQ where I live now but it's not the same. Fortunately, King's does ship. For my birthday in January, I ordered 2 pounds of BBQ, cole slaw, black eye'd peas and hush puppies. It was a nice treat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We have yearly trade shows at the Greensboro colosseum and all I ever heard about was Stameys. I grew up on eastern NC BBQ so I was excited to see what the hype was … I just don’t get it. Been there twice and now I just find a food truck or something when I’m there for the shows. Doesn’t compare to Johnston county or Wilson county bbq imo.

Now you are talking about the East vs West. I grew up on Western but heard about Eastern for years but the East/West line is probably the Western Triangle area (Hillsborough or Pittsboro). The only places that serve Eastern Style here are chain places... Cookout and Smithfield. Don't tell anyone, but I prefer the Eastern Style with the White slaw.

I grew up in Kinston...we had King's BBQ there, but we often drove to Wilson and ate at Parker's.

There is nothing like eastern NC BBQ.

We have BBQ where I live now but it's not the same. Fortunately, King's does ship. For my birthday in January, I ordered 2 pounds of BBQ, cole slaw, black eye'd peas and hush puppies. It was a nice treat.

I have heard about those Eastern places for many years.. Kings is on my list of places to try out, along with the Redneck BBQ Lab. I'm sure you have heard of the Skylight Inn in Ayden, well Pete Jones grandson opened up a spot in Downtown Raleigh. I went there for my birthday last summer. If you are ever in Raleigh... you gotta check this place out. My recommendation. The pulled bbq and smoked chicken plate, with slaw, potato salad, and cornbread. You MUST try the chicken wings with the Alabama White Sauce. It is life changing. Of course they have Cheerwine. lawd hamercy

Reaction Score
If anyone is ever in Western NC, take the quick drive up to Upper East TN--the TriCities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol), and let me know, and I'll take you to the best bbq joint you ever eaten at. It's on the side of a mountain in Bluff City TN. Many country stars including Dolly have eaten there. UT coaches have eaten there. And because it's close to Bristol International Raceway, many of the race car drivers have eaten there.

Ridgewood Barbeque, Bluff City TN

From 1989 but the place is still the same with the old wallpaper etc.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom