ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to this born and raised West Coaster the deep significance of holding the tournament what google maps indicates is a 1 hour and 25 minute drive away? Am I not appreciating something about the cultural divide between Greensboro and Charlotte? Since a Stanford fan like me might very well want to attend a future ACC Championship tournament, it seems like a no-brainer to host it in a city with a major airport, right?

In terms of the Women's tournament, Greensboro has hosted every one since 2000 except for 2017 (due to politics it was moved to SC). The city embraces the tournament in a way a city like Charlotte wouldn't. They were talking about this factor on the local sports radio show today. The women's tournament is discussed beginnng at the 4:10 mark until the 5:35 mark.

In terms of cultural divide. Of the 3 major population centers of NC, The Triad feels the most traditionally southern. The Triangle is full of Yankees and Yuppies. Charlotte strives to be a "world class" city with shiny skyscrapers and traffic headaches. Greensboro doesn't have a huge airport like Charlotte, but you can get here from the west coast with a connecting flight through Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, or Charlotte. . Greensboro's population is 300,000 and its easy to get in and around. Charlotte has close to 1 million residents and is gonna have traffic headaches during the weekday.

There is a reason why the ACC and NCAA has staged so many conference and NCAA tournaments here in Greensboro for the past 50-60 years. The ACC women coaches talk about how well the Coliseum hosts, and how they make the women's tournament feel as equal as the men's tournament. Coach Staley has given rave reviews about Greensboro. Charlotte is a Pro Sports town. Greensboro is a College Sports Town. The way I see it. Greensboro has history, ease of navigation, lower lodging and dining costs, and the Coliseum Complex has the Special Events Center which holds the wildly popular ACC Fan Fest under the same roof as the Arena. Charlotte has the major airport, a Newer and Nicer Downtown Arena, plenty of hotels and restaurants within walking distance of the arena. They do have a light rail system that has a station right by the Arena. One could park elsewhere in the city and ride it to avoid having to navigate driving and parking downtown. If they have the FanFest in Charlotte I guess they would have it outside in one of the surrounding parking lots.. we will see.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Exactly 48 hours away. I'm ready

GoToHell-kftfl.png

Reaction Score
In terms of the Women's tournament, Greensboro has hosted every one since 2000 except for 2017 (due to politics it was moved to SC). The city embraces the tournament in a way a city like Charlotte wouldn't. They were talking about this factor on the local sports radio show today. The women's tournament is discussed beginnng at the 4:10 mark until the 5:35 mark.

In terms of cultural divide. Of the 3 major population centers of NC, The Triad feels the most traditionally southern. The Triangle is full of Yankees and Yuppies. Charlotte strives to be a "world class" city with shiny skyscrapers and traffic headaches. Greensboro doesn't have a huge airport like Charlotte, but you can get here from the west coast with a connecting flight through Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, or Charlotte. . Greensboro's population is 300,000 and its easy to get in and around. Charlotte has close to 1 million residents and is gonna have traffic headaches during the weekday.

There is a reason why the ACC and NCAA has staged so many conference and NCAA tournaments here in Greensboro for the past 50-60 years. The ACC women coaches talk about how well the Coliseum hosts, and how they make the women's tournament feel as equal as the men's tournament. Coach Staley has given rave reviews about Greensboro. Charlotte is a Pro Sports town. Greensboro is a College Sports Town. The way I see it. Greensboro has history, ease of navigation, lower lodging and dining costs, and the Coliseum Complex has the Special Events Center which holds the wildly popular ACC Fan Fest under the same roof as the Arena. Charlotte has the major airport, a Newer and Nicer Downtown Arena, plenty of hotels and restaurants within walking distance of the arena. They do have a light rail system that has a station right by the Arena. One could park elsewhere in the city and ride it to avoid having to navigate driving and parking downtown. If they have the FanFest in Charlotte I guess they would have it outside in one of the surrounding parking lots.. we will see.

I do get a little sad the the ACC of old disappears before our eyes, but I do appreciate much cheaper flights to Charlotte vs Greensboro/Raleigh.

Reaction Score
From the west coast....came away very impressed with Virginia Tech in their win last night over NC State. I saw great offensive movement by all players, great ball movement, and a great inside/outside game. In addition, Virginia Tech locks down on defense in the 4th quarter. Having Liz Kitley & Georgia A. leading the team (and 2 players that can create their own shot) makes this team a very tough out in the NCAA Tournament.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I do get a little sad the the ACC of old disappears before our eyes, but I do appreciate much cheaper flights to Charlotte vs Greensboro/Raleigh.

I appreciate being able to leave the front door of my house and being in my seat to watch the pre-game warm-ups in 30 minutes :p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

From the west coast....came away very impressed with Virginia Tech in their win last night over NC State. I saw great offensive movement by all players, great ball movement, and a great inside/outside game. In addition, Virginia Tech locks down on defense in the 4th quarter. Having Liz Kitley & Georgia A. leading the team (and 2 players that can create their own shot) makes this team a very tough out in the NCAA Tournament.

I agree but then again I think back to the last 2 arse whippings we game them in Durham and their coaching crying/whining to the media after the game due to our style of play. Duke at VPI next thursday night at 8pm EST. We gotta take care of that team down the road on Sunday first.

Reaction Score

I agree but then again I think back to the last 2 arse whippings we game them in Durham and their coaching crying/whining to the media after the game due to our style of play. Duke at VPI next thursday night at 8pm EST. We gotta take care of that team down the road on Sunday first.

Every team seems to have a kryptonite opponent. Not sure which that team is kryptonite for South Carolina? Maybe Stanford?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Every team seems to have a kryptonite opponent. Not sure which that team is kryptonite for South Carolina? Maybe Stanford?
Most recently, that kryptonite team's name was Caitlin Clark...

Reaction Score
. . .
I have watched Virginia Tech play about 12 times between last year and this season, and they look like a Big Ten team to me playing in the ACC, i.e. better on offense than defense, with a preference for less physicality. Am I off base? When you look at conference-game only efficiency stats (points per play), Va Tech leads the ACC on offense, but is 7th on defense.

Reaction Score
With 1st place in the ACC standings on the line, NC State did not play with the energy and desire one would expect from a champion. A very disappointing, piss-poor effort more reminiscent of our men's team. A lot of one-on-one ball...missed bunnies...3 assists on 20 made baskets, but the real killer tonight was allowing Virginia Tech 15 offensive rebounds, and I don't know exactly how many, but Tech must have had at least 5 THREEs as the result of them; Tech nailed 11 on the night.

I expected Aziaha James to be key to this matchup and her hot hand kept us close in the first half. Then, she disappeared...only attempting 3 shots in the entire second half. State did not shoot well tonight...but I think that's a credit to VT's D and our uncharacteristic penchant for one-on-one, contested jump shots. The beautiful teamwork and ball movement this team has been known for most of this season was not on display at all tonight.
I was surprised as well. After nearly pulling out the win at V.Tech earlier I thought they would be up for this game and win handily. This has been a really odd season to say the least.

Reaction Score
While it wasn't pretty or good for the heart, Lawson got her first reg season win over Carolina. Delaney Thomas had a game!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC standings are a mess.

While it wasn't pretty or good for the heart, Lawson got her first reg season win over Carolina. Delaney Thomas had a game!

I don't recognize that term. You mean that school in Chapel HIll? :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Thomas seems to have her best games on the biggest stages. Stanford, SCAR, and now Chapel Hill. I love her demeanor, steady and calm, yet fearless and is a fighter.

Reaction Score
The problem with the ACC is you have 4 schools in one state. Is it fair to have Greensboro or Raleigh host the ACC tournaments? Charlotte I can see, as there are a lot of alumni from a host of schools there.

The city that hosts makes millions off the fans. So why not have the ACC tournament in Columbia, Atlanta, Orlando, Boston, Washington DC, Brooklyn?

When Stanford, SMU, Cal come into the league, they can make a case for Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, to have a more centered location.

This has always been a problem for schools outside of NC (events being placed in Greensboro, closer to campuses in the state of NC). Thank goodness my Gamecocks left the ACC back in the 70's.

Even hiring John Swofford from a member school to be the ACC Commissioner was seen as favoring UNC. He screwed Clemson and FSU. Those schools fan base have not forgotten. I hope a conference Commissioner never comes from a member school again.

Thank goodness though that Swofford ran the ACC in the ground. Swofford watched the SEC and Roy Kramer expand the conference. Swofford and the ACC were always reactive instead of being proactive like the SEC.

If I were a member school, I would be raising the devil over the ACC's decision to place the tournament in Raleigh or Greensboro. Don't have a problem with Charlotte but not more than a year at a time.

I'm so thankful my Gamecocks are in the SEC...

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
When Stanford, SMU, Cal come into the league, they can make a case for Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, to have a more centered location.
Oh...so make all the fans of 14 teams travel perhaps thousands of miles out of their way, so that three new teams (the newest additions to the conference) don't have to travel as far? Really?

Probably not an issue initially, since ACCWT set through 2027 (although 2026 is open). Maybe the 2026 tournament could be held in Albuquerque.

Reaction Score
Oh...so make all the fans of 14 teams travel perhaps thousands of miles out of their way, so that three new teams (the newest additions to the conference) don't have to travel as far? Really?

Probably not an issue initially, since ACCWT set through 2027 (although 2026 is open). Maybe the 2026 tournament could be held in Albuquerque.
Should the other schools have to travel to a venue in NC for the next 3-4 years? It does benefit those 4 schools if it's in Greensboro. Would you disagree? Should Stanford, Cal, & SMU not have a say in where the tournaments are located?

What's wrong Washington, DC? It seems to be centrally located to all current members of the conference. Anytime the ACC office does something that seems to benefit UNC, NCSU, Duke and the state of North Carolina, it's suspect.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Should the other schools have to travel to a venue in NC for the next 3-4 years? It does benefit those 4 schools if it's in Greensboro. Would you disagree? Should Stanford, Cal, & SMU not have a say in where the tournaments are located?

What's wrong Washington, DC? It seems to be centrally located to all current members of the conference. Anytime the ACC office does something that seems to benefit UNC, NCSU, Duke and the state of North Carolina, it's suspect.
Since the college you root for isn't a member of the ACC and you don't have a vested interest in the ACC anymore, I don't see why what happens in the conference bothers you. Clearly, you look down your nose at the 4 North Carolina members of the conference. So, I'm guessing maybe you were around at the time South Carolina separated?

Noone alive today in a position of power in the ACC had anything to do with what led South Carolina to leave all those years ago. Maybe, it's about time to let it go and get focused on something else.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Who left the door open :rolleyes:

Rather not be lectured by $EC fans in the ACC thread.. no offense to the $EC

Somebody needs to hold me back before things get ugly :mad:
It has been my day to fend off jerks. I had one call me ignorant on the NC State board because I didn't know why wellness days had been added to the academic calendar...and now I'm encountering this dude.

In fact...I think I will just retire from Internet people for the night and pick up the WCBB discussion after work tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Since the college you root for isn't a member of the ACC and you don't have a vested interest in the ACC anymore, I don't see why what happens in the conference bothers you. Clearly, you look down your nose at the 4 North Carolina members of the conference. So, I'm guessing maybe you were around at the time South Carolina separated?

Noone alive today in a position of power in the ACC had anything to do with what led South Carolina to leave all those years ago. Maybe, it's about time to let it go and get focused on something else.
But I do...I have family members who are Clemson grads. Remember when Swofford "made the call to all the other athletic directors to get them to vote to add an extra year of probation beyond what the NCAA was calling for during the Danny Ford era"? I don't often defend Clemson, BUT when it comes to Swofford, UNC, and the Commissioner's office of the ACC, I'm ready to go to battle with Clemson folks or any other school's fans not named UNC. Swofford/UNC, when UNC was caught cheating (NCSU put the word out it was going on), Swofford kept mum...When UNC was on the verge of losing their accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools, guess who kept mum when all of this was to do with athletes? Swofford had no comment.

UNC has gotten away with so much and been protected by the Commissioner's office whereas other schools were punished for less minor things. Don't get me started on what Swofford did to FSU.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
But I do...I have family members who are Clemson grads. Remember when Swofford "made the call to all the other athletic directors to get them to vote to add an extra year of probation beyond what the NCAA was calling for during the Danny Ford era"? I don't often defend Clemson, BUT when it comes to Swofford, UNC, and the Commissioner's office of the ACC, I'm ready to go to battle with Clemson folks or any other school's fans not named UNC. Swofford/UNC, when UNC was caught cheating (NCSU put the word out it was going on), Swofford kept mum...When UNC was on the verge of losing their accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools, guess who kept mum when all of this was to do with athletes? Swofford had no comment.

UNC has gotten away with so much and been protected by the Commissioner's office whereas other schools were punished for less minor things. Don't get me started on what Swofford did to FSU.
Then, it sounds like your beef is mainly with UNC...and in that regard, I'm with ya, bro! Don't get me started on the whole UNC academic fraud thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom