ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
One last Brunelle story:

• I saw Sam Brunelle play her first collegiate game, at Fordham in 2019, where she and a completely new Irish starting lineup held off a very pesky Ram team.
  • The Rams wer led by a 5'8" red-haired freshman named Anna DeWolfe, who has scored 2,000 points and is now playing, ironically, for Notre Dame.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was there and it was an electric atmosphere. And yes, I will absolutely buy you a burger… with a side of Krispy Creams! Sorry for your loss the UNCheat☹️.

Yes, I believe #1 in her junior year. Seemed to have an offer, or at least interest, from UConn. But injuries took a huge toll. I think they mentioned at senior night, tonight, that she had 4 leg surgeries. She was very moved at the ceremony - crying openly.

1. I got on the scale at the Doctor's this morning.... hold off on that burger and donuts....... just get me a kale salad and celery stick instead :oops::oops::oops:

2. I know Duke had an interest. I actually passed her in the hallway at a Duke game years ago, had no idea who it was... figured it was some random tall kid. Was informed later on this site that she was at the game. Not sure if Duke made her short list or what.

Very moving ceremony. That young lady will have a successful life!

Those senior ceremonies can be something. I remember senior night at Duke and Krystal Thomas (who had lost her mother to breast cancer a few years before her enrolling at Duke) spoke......allergens definitely reached the upper level of Cameron that afternoon.

Reaction Score
As noted, at one point early in her ratings career, she was the #1 recruit. A turning point of sorts in the ratings seemed to come when she made a U.S.A. National Team and was relegated to mop-up duty. The "slip" started then...
1) Haley Jones
2) Jordon Horston
3) Aliyah Boston
4) Zia Cooke
5) Rickea Jackson
6) Sam Brunelle
7) Ashley Owusu.

Sam's best year, individually, at Notre Dame was her freshman year, when she played for the coach who recruited her, Muffet McGraw and MM's modified Princeton offense which took advantage of Sam's catch and shoot abilities. During that season:
  • Sam started in all 31 games, averaging 33.9 minutes.
  • Brunelle led all freshmen in the ACC in scoring with her 13.9 ppg. Among freshmen at power-five schools, Brunelle’s scoring average ranked 6th.
  • Her scoring average ranked 4th all-time at ND for a freshman.
Sophomore year saw injuries and the arrival of Coach Niele Ivey.
  • Sam played in 17 games, averaging 22.8 minutes off the bench.
  • However, she made big shooting improvements: Sam went from shooting 31.5 percent from three as a freshman to 38.3 percent. She also went from 39.7 percent overall to 48.4 percent.
And in 2021-2022, her junior year:
  • Sam played in 32 games and averaged 16.5 minutes off the bench. She averaged 6.8 points, which ranked 6th on the team.
What happened? Well, she was plagued by injuries and the effects those had on conditioning.
Plus:
  • Coach Ivey abandoned the modified Princton offense which could feature Brunelle and went with an offense that largely focused on individual shot creation. While Sam has some interior moves, her specialty is the catch and shoot.
  • Plus she became something of a tweener: 6'2" but not really quick enough to guard wings. But she wasn't a banger in the post, either.
  • And ND had/still has someone who could do all of that: Maddy Westbeld, who has remained a lynchpin of Ivey's program.

All said, Sam was still a contributor off the bench and, from all accounts, a solid team leader and very active as a student in many areas. Perhaps most importantly, she's got an ND undergraduate to go with what will now probably be a UVA grad degree. Pretty decent deal. Look forward to see where and what she does next.
Thanks for the excellent summary. She’ll graduate with a Masters in education and is interested in getting into sports communications in some manner.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks for the excellent summary. She’ll graduate with a Masters in education and is interested in getting into sports communications in some manner.
If memory serves, her mom is a principal. Back-up or down-the-road plan?
She and Dara Mabrey both hosted sports programs and ND (which Dara still does). I can see them both moving forward in that direction. Mabrey is exceptionally good at a young age.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
@LETTERL @FanInNC

Sorry about that, we owed you
For the record, I was rooting for Duke against the Baby Blues. I have nothing against Duke...but I have very strong feelings about UNC. I can accept losing to Duke (and just tip my cap to them) and beating Duke means we came out on top against a quality foe.

But any competition against UNC stokes very strong emotions. Losing to them (except in MBB, where it is just expected we will lose, having lost 40 of our last 50 games against the Tar Heels) in WBB just really ruins my day...although, again, I will tip my hat to them for playing a good game. And beating UNC in WBB is always satisfying and it's almost like endorphins kick in.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ACC End-of-Year Awards Announced

2023-24 All-ACC Women’s Basketball Team

Player of the Year: Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech
Defensive Player of the Year: Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame
Rookie of the Year: Hannah Hidalgo, G, Notre Dame
Coach of the Year: Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse
Sixth Player of the Year: Oluchi Okananwa, Fr., G, Duke
Most Improved Player: Liatu King, Sr., F, Pitt

All-ACC First Team
Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech – 1,603
Dyaisha Fair, Gr., G, Syracuse – 1,463
Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame – 1,461
Georgia Amoore, Sr., G, Virginia Tech – 1,402
Ta'Niya Latson, So., G, Florida State – 1,274
Deja Kelly, Sr., G, North Carolina – 921
Aziaha James, Jr., G, NC State – 871
Saniya Rivers, Jr., G, NC State – 815
Makayla Timpson, Jr., F, Florida State – 766
Liatu King, Sr., F, Pitt – 765

All-ACC Second Team
Maddy Westbeld, Jr., F, Notre Dame – 715
Amari Robinson, Gr., F, Clemson – 698
Sonia Citron, Jr., G, Notre Dame – 651
Alyssa Ustby, Sr., G/F, North Carolina – 573
Kiki Jefferson, Gr., G, Louisville – 504
Kymora Johnson, Fr., G, Virginia – 437
Tonie Morgan, So., G, Georgia Tech – 358
Kara Dunn, So., G, Georgia Tech – 349
Reigan Richardson, Jr., G, Duke – 252
Olivia Cochran, Sr., F, Louisville – 224

All-Defensive Team
Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame – 326
Makayla Timpson, Jr., F, Florida State – 231
Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech – 170
Saniya Rivers, Jr., G, NC State – 135
Dontavia Waggoner, Sr., G, Boston College – 102

All-Freshman Team
Hannah Hidalgo, G, Notre Dame – 412
Kymora Johnson, G, Virginia – 304
Zoe Brooks, G, NC State – 162
Oluchi Okananwa, G, Duke – 125
Alyssa Latham, F, Syracuse – 120

ACC Most Improved
Liatu King, Pitt – 237
Aziaha James, NC State – 226
Kara Dunn, Georgia Tech – 121

ACC Sixth Player
Oluchi Okananwa, Duke – 298
Zoe Brooks, NC State – 277
Indya Nivar, North Carolina – 98

ACC Coach of the Year
Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse – 293
Kenny Brooks, Virginia Tech – 214
Wes Moore, NC State – 164

Reaction Score
ACC End-of-Year Awards Announced

2023-24 All-ACC Women’s Basketball Team

Player of the Year: Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech
Defensive Player of the Year: Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame
Rookie of the Year: Hannah Hidalgo, G, Notre Dame
Coach of the Year: Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse
Sixth Player of the Year: Oluchi Okananwa, Fr., G, Duke
Most Improved Player: Liatu King, Sr., F, Pitt

All-ACC First Team
Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech – 1,603
Dyaisha Fair, Gr., G, Syracuse – 1,463
Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame – 1,461
Georgia Amoore, Sr., G, Virginia Tech – 1,402
Ta'Niya Latson, So., G, Florida State – 1,274
Deja Kelly, Sr., G, North Carolina – 921
Aziaha James, Jr., G, NC State – 871
Saniya Rivers, Jr., G, NC State – 815
Makayla Timpson, Jr., F, Florida State – 766
Liatu King, Sr., F, Pitt – 765

All-ACC Second Team
Maddy Westbeld, Jr., F, Notre Dame – 715
Amari Robinson, Gr., F, Clemson – 698
Sonia Citron, Jr., G, Notre Dame – 651
Alyssa Ustby, Sr., G/F, North Carolina – 573
Kiki Jefferson, Gr., G, Louisville – 504
Kymora Johnson, Fr., G, Virginia – 437
Tonie Morgan, So., G, Georgia Tech – 358
Kara Dunn, So., G, Georgia Tech – 349
Reigan Richardson, Jr., G, Duke – 252
Olivia Cochran, Sr., F, Louisville – 224

All-Defensive Team
Hannah Hidalgo, Fr., G, Notre Dame – 326
Makayla Timpson, Jr., F, Florida State – 231
Elizabeth Kitley, Gr., C, Virginia Tech – 170
Saniya Rivers, Jr., G, NC State – 135
Dontavia Waggoner, Sr., G, Boston College – 102

All-Freshman Team
Hannah Hidalgo, G, Notre Dame – 412
Kymora Johnson, G, Virginia – 304
Zoe Brooks, G, NC State – 162
Oluchi Okananwa, G, Duke – 125
Alyssa Latham, F, Syracuse – 120

ACC Most Improved
Liatu King, Pitt – 237
Aziaha James, NC State – 226
Kara Dunn, Georgia Tech – 121

ACC Sixth Player
Oluchi Okananwa, Duke – 298
Zoe Brooks, NC State – 277
Indya Nivar, North Carolina – 98

ACC Coach of the Year
Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse – 293
Kenny Brooks, Virginia Tech – 214
Wes Moore, NC State – 164

Deja Kelly 1st team. Kinda sus. I guess I can buy it - but ahead of Rivers and James. Not buying that.

Reaction Score
@LETTERL @FanInNC

Sorry about that, we owed you
Well now Kevin drops to 3-2 all time in Raleigh vs Duke.

It’s getting numbing on the men’s side honestly. I like Coach Keatts but he has not been able to bring in the talent to play the style he wants to play. His recruiting has been on a lower level than anyone at State since Les. He gets banged on too much for in game coaching and X’s and O’s. I personally don’t buy that, it’s more of a talent issue. It’s disheartening to see how far enthusiasm for our men’s team has fallen and I don’t put that solely on KK either. It’s been happening ever since 1990. There was a spike during the Hodge years and then quickly fell apart after, Sid recruited but couldn’t make it translate to results on the court, Gott recruited well at first and then totally flamed out in a major way and KK just has bobbed around the bubble his whole tenor without advancing the program further.

As for the actual game, it was a great microcosm of Wolfpack basketball. An imperfect team. Burns is next to unstoppable on offense but a complete liability on defense. When he was out we had nothing to offer on offense, but when he was in we couldn’t rebound or defend on that end. And he’s just the easiest example. Taylor is a fantastic ball defender but has been brutally bad on offense. O’Connell distributes and rebounds. but can’t shoot or defend well. Horne can score at an elite level but is undersized as a 2 and can’t create and handle well enough as a 1. The whole team is flawed. College Men’s basketball used to be my favorite sport but it’s slowly slipped away for me both due to States irrelevance and just the overall landscape of conference realignment, scheduling, unlimited transfers, no continuity whatsoever.

But oh well. Hopefully we beat Pitt and can make the NIT! Woohoo!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hey @LETTERL , any particular omission ticking you off: Madison Hayes? River Baldwin?
ACC fans want to hear?
(BTW, I really want to know if Coach Walz used NIL funds to convince people to vote for Olivia Cochran. Last I checked, NC State earned a double bye and Baldwin was a critical element of that success. She and Cochran have similar numbers.)

Reaction Score
Hey @LETTERL , any particular omission ticking you off: Madison Hayes? River Baldwin?
ACC fans want to hear?
(BTW, I really want to know if Coach Walz used NIL funds to convince people to vote for Olivia Cochran. Last I checked, NC State earned a double bye and Baldwin was a critical element of that success. She and Cochran have similar numbers.)
I’m not @LETTERL but from a NC State fans POV, Madison Hayes was perhaps the most important player on the team imo. She didn’t end the season well. But she still averaged 11 and 7 and shot over 40% from 3. She has many qualities that simply don’t show up in the box score, she is the team leader and the glue of the team. She won’t wow you with talent and flare on the court but I was disappointed she didn’t make a team.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I’m not @LETTERL but from a NC State fans POV, Madison Hayes was perhaps the most important player on the team imo. She didn’t end the season well. But she still averaged 11 and 7 and shot over 40% from 3. She has many qualities that simply don’t show up in the box score, she is the team leader and the glue of the team. She won’t wow you with talent and flare on the court but I was disappointed she didn’t make a team.
Thanks for stepping onto the court. I'm not surprised that you wrote about her: I like her all-round abilities, as well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
BC Beats Clemson, 85-72; Will Play Louisville on Thursday

BC hit 7 three's against Clemson (after having non in their first game vs. the Tigers).
Ti'yana Todd, from Canada, had 24 points.
BC scored 26 points off Clemson turnovers. Good match-up zone.

Three-game winning streak for BC and they only lost to Louisville by 2 last time out.

Reaction Score
BC Beats Clemson, 85-72; Will Play Louisville on Thursday

Three-game winning streak for BC and they only lost to Louisville by 2 last time out.
Yeah, many fans on the Louisville boards are totally overlooking BC and talking about a rematch with Notre Dame. I make tomorrow's game a tossup.

Reaction Score
Yeah, many fans on the Louisville boards are totally overlooking BC and talking about a rematch with Notre Dame. I make tomorrow's game a tossup.
Are you kidding? Louisville barely got by them in February. Sorry for the laughing reaction but couldn't help it when thinking back to how Louisville struggled against BC.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Louisville barely got by them in February. Sorry for the laughing reaction but couldn't help it when thinking back to how Louisville struggled against BC.
Also, didn't BC just knock off UNC?

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Would not be at all surprised by a BC win. A good-but-not-great game from us should be enough to get the job done, but you never know....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech Comes on Strong Late and Beats Pitt, 73-60

The Ramblin' Wreck rode a 25-13 fourth quarter to pull away from and defeat the Pitt Panthers, ending their season at 8-24. The Yellow Jackets were led by Tonie Morgan's 24 pts. and 11 rebounds. Coach Nell Fortner's team will now take on Duke at 5 p.m. on Thursday.

(Sorry this was a tad late being reported...it took quite a time to pull my jaw off the floor after seeing Colorado beat Oregon by 49 --- forty-nine --- points.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest continues to be a stubborn one in the conference tourney. Trailed by as many as 15 in the 3rd and goes on to outscore UVa 27-9 down the stretch to win it 58-55.

4th straight opening round win for Wake in the tourney and 3rd consecutive tournament that opening round win has come against UVa!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wake Forest continues to be a stubborn one in the conference tourney. Trailed by as many as 15 in the 3rd and goes on to outscore UVa 27-9 down the stretch to win it 58-55.

4th straight opening round win for Wake in the tourney and 3rd consecutive tournament that opening round win has come against UVa!
Coach Mox was shaking her head all fourth quarter, when her Cavs took the pedal off the metal and then couldn't juice it up again. Kymora Johnson and Cam Taylor was it for the Cavs and they got no help. Elyse (sp) Williams was all over it for Wake.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Would not be at all surprised by a BC win. A good-but-not-great game from us should be enough to get the job done, but you never know....
This part because Louisville can go into a Jekyll and Hyde mode. Their performance these last few games have been very inconsistent on both ends of the court.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Believe so.
Yes, they did.
The Eagles are on a four-game winning streak. All power to players and coaches when they could've thrown in the towel after a 10-game losing streak.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thursday, March 7: Slate of ACC Tournament Games

1) 11 a.m.
#13 Boston College vs. #5 Louisville
(BC only lost by two last time out after leading most of the way)

2) 1:30 p.m.
#9 Miami vs #8 North Carolina
(Katie Meier's team needs a win and their defense can throw teams)

3) 5 p.m.
#7 Duke vs. #10 Ga. Tech
(Duke pounded GT at Cameron in January, but will that translate to
a neutral site?)

4) 7:30 p.m.
#6 Florida State vs. #14 Wake Forest
(FSU beat GT twice, but games were were close: last one a 3-pt. win for
Seminoles)

Reaction Score
Try as they might, the refs couldn’t drag Banghart and the Heels to victory. A bad flagrant foul call late, a phantom travel with 7 seconds to give Chapel Hill another crack at it … didn’t matter.

The U moves on to face Va Tech. The Heels go out with a whimper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom