ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

Reaction Score
Now you are talking about the East vs West. I grew up on Western but heard about Eastern for years but the East/West line is probably the Western Triangle area (Hillsborough or Pittsboro). The only places that serve Eastern Style here are chain places... Cookout and Smithfield. Don't tell anyone, but I prefer the Eastern Style with the White slaw.

I have heard about those Eastern places for many years.. Kings is on my list of places to try out, along with the Redneck BBQ Lab. I'm sure you have heard of the Skylight Inn in Ayden, well Pete Jones grandson opened up a spot in Downtown Raleigh. I went there for my birthday last summer. If you are ever in Raleigh... you gotta check this place out. My recommendation. The pulled bbq and smoked chicken plate, with slaw, potato salad, and cornbread. You MUST try the chicken wings with the Alabama White Sauce. It is life changing. Of course they have Cheerwine. lawd hamercy

I live walking distance to redneck bbq. I like going there for the other stuff - brisket , burnt ends and turkey and their chicken sandwiches are all great. (Though a tad pricey compared to what I’m used to around here). Stephenson’s BBQ will always be my gold standard. Not marketed as well (or at all), a very plain Jane atmosphere inside, not sure the menu has changed once in 40 years - but the best bbq! Fried chicken is pretty darn good too - just don’t go on a Thursday if you don’t like crowds. That’s chicken n pastry day and it’s usually packed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For the unschooled, what’s the difference between eastern and western NC bbq?

Eastern uses the whole hog with a vinegar based sauce. Western or Lexington style only uses the pork shoulder and the sauce is tomato, vinegar, and pepper based. Eastern uses white mayo slaw... And western uses the red slaw that uses the red sauce.

South Carolina uses Mustard... But we don't acknowledge them.

Reaction Score
For the unschooled, what’s the difference between eastern and western NC bbq?
First, it’s not Eastern North Carolina bbq. It’s Eastern Carolina bbq or Coastal Carolina or Low Country bbq and traditional to both states’ coastal areas, It is basically heavily basted vinegar and pepper. No sauce needed if basted up to the time shortly before it hits your plate. I love it. My favorite.

The Western Carolina bbq is basically just bbq with a tomato based sauce like you find across the country. Yeah, you find it in Western South Carolina too. Not much different than Memphis or KC. I grew up on it but have no love for it.

Midlands South Carolina bbq is the stuff made with mustard and started by the original German families who settled in Columbia. It’s okay and a little different but not any better than ketchup based t

Coastal Carolina BBQ for me.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Eastern uses the whole hog with a vinegar based sauce. Western or Lexington style only uses the pork shoulder and the sauce is tomato, vinegar, and pepper based. Eastern uses white mayo slaw... And western uses the red slaw that uses the red sauce.

My first trip to a BBQ restaurant here was mustard-based; it was nasty and I just couldn't eat it. It took a while before I realized there are a bunch of different BBQ styles here. I have found some vinegar-based establishments...but it's just not the same as the stuff I grew up on. But bless their hearts for trying!

Reaction Score
Va Tech (9-2) : @NCSU @Lou @ND @UVa vsBC vs Duke vs UNC

NCSU (8-2) : @Pitt @ND @UNC @Duke home vs VT, GT, Cuse and WF

Lou (8-2) : @Cuse, BC @ND, @GT home vs ND, VT, UVa and FSU

Cuse (8-3): @ MIA, @UVa, @ NCSU home vs GT, Lou, Duke and Pitt

ND (7-3) : @Lou, @FSU, @Duke, @BC home vs NCSU, Clem, Lou and VT

FSU (7-4) : @Pitt, @WF, @MIA, @Lou home vs ND, BC, Clem

UNC (7-4) : @Duke, @WF, @VT, @BC home vs Pitt, NCSU, Duke
Don’t sleep on FSU or Syracuse. They both have the easiest remaining schedules of the top teams in the conference. Lots of ball left to play and everyone is within a game or 2 of each other in the standings - really impossible to predict right now.

Going back and updating the games played so far since this was discussed. VT obviously looking good at this point but the Cuse continues to hum right along. I’ll admit I haven’t watched much of them this year, but it’s probably time to start putting some respect on what they are doing. They have a real shot at winning the conference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anyone want to take a guess what I had for dinner? :confused:

Man, the standings are a jumbled mess.... Duke and ND is gonna be a HUGE game Monday night if either wants to earn a double bye.

First, it’s not Eastern North Carolina bbq. It’s Eastern Carolina bbq or Coastal Carolina or Low Country bbq and traditional to both states’ coastal areas, It is basically heavily basted vinegar and pepper. No sauce needed if basted up to the time shortly before it hits your plate. I love it. My favorite.

The Western Carolina bbq is basically just bbq with a tomato based sauce like you find across the country. Yeah, you find it in Western South Carolina too. Not much different than Memphis or KC. I grew up on it but have no love for it.

Midlands South Carolina bbq is the stuff made with mustard and started by the original German families who settled in Columbia. It’s okay and a little different but not any better than ketchup based t

I've never been to KC, but I've been to Memphis a few times. Their sauce/flavor is a bit heavier than Western NC in my opinion.

Reaction Score

BBQ started in SC, try me on this one. Oh yeah, sorry the duck blue devils lost again.

Reaction Score
BBQ started in SC, try me on this one. Oh yeah, sorry the duck blue devils lost again.
I’ve never considered where BBQ started, a quick search suggests Spanish settlers were the first to do so in America - though the article didn’t state where they were when doing so.

I’m curious to know more about SCs bbq. Growing up in NC I’ve always known bbq as East vs west (vinegar vs tomato) and then sc with mustard sauce. I saw a previous poster mention SC is virtually the same and the mustard stuff is just in the middle of the state?

Eastern NC vinger based BBQ is king in my opinion. I will say the western style in NC isn’t exactly the same as KC or Memphis style sauces as I saw suggested. At least in my experience. The western styles that I’ve had have a thicker, red sauce compared to what we do in the East but it’s not the brown super thick stuff that is more widely known as bbq across the country. It’s somewhere in between.

I lived outside of Charlotte for 3 years nearly 2 decades ago - never found a suitable bbq joint. One or two spots claimed to have eastern style - lies.

How would you compare bbq in sc to how it’s done in the old north state? Same or similar sauces when discussing East/west ? We won’t discuss the absurdity of mustard sauce on bbq - you can skip over that.

Reaction Score

Thanks much for the clear explanation. As a mostly CT resident in my adult life, I’ve had little experience with Eastern Carolina BBQ. I will now search it out…
I do have a brother who lives in Hilton Head and I suspect eastern can be found there.

Reaction Score

That's not true...Upstate SC is ketchup/tomato based bbq. The video I showed you from Ridgewood BBQ, the original owner (Grace Proffit) is a native of Easley (Greenville) SC. She married Mr. Proffit who was from Bluff City, TN. I never knew there was mustard based bbq till I went to school in Columbia (being raised in Upstate SC).

Upstate SC, Western NC, East TN, SW Virginia and SE Kentucky (mountain south) folks from Old Appalachia eat Tomato based bbq and mostly being PORK.

BBQ is not a state thing, it's a regional cultural thing. Memphis and Nashville bbq is different from East TN bbq as most in the central and western part of the state like BEEF as opposed to the East which prefer Pork.

Reaction Score
That's not true...Upstate SC is ketchup/tomato based bbq. The video I showed you from Ridgewood BBQ, the original owner (Grace Proffit) is a native of Easley (Greenville) SC. She married Mr. Proffit who was from Bluff City, TN. I never knew there was mustard based bbq till I went to school in Columbia (being raised in Upstate SC).

Upstate SC, Western NC, East TN, SW Virginia and SE Kentucky (mountain south) folks from Old Appalachia eat Tomato based bbq and mostly being PORK.

BBQ is not a state thing, it's a regional cultural thing. Memphis and Nashville bbq is different from East TN bbq as most in the central and western part of the state like BEEF as opposed to the East which prefer Pork.
Anyone preferring beef over pork bbq is highly sus as the kids say.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Come here for ACC talk, stay for Regional BBQ suggestions :rolleyes:

Anyway.,,,

I would love for Brown to come back, but she already said at the beginning of the year that this was her last season.

I know the whole state of SC doesn't use mustard, but the fact that even some places in the state do has turned me off from ever eating any bbq in SC. With ONE exception. I've heard read about Rodney Scott BBQ, and I put it on my list of places to check out iif I ever venture to that part of the state.

I've been to Memphis several times, and not once did I ever have beef bbq, didn't even look to see if that was an option or not.

Reaction Score
I looked over the players who could come back for a 5th year. Do you think ANY of them make an WNBA roster or even drafted? I don't watch ACC WBB unless their playing an SEC team or at tournament time. Those names just don't resonate with me as these girls are not known nationally. I take that back, I've heard of Olivia Cochran.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I looked over the players who could come back for a 5th year. Do you think ANY of them make an WNBA roster or even drafted? I don't watch ACC WBB unless their playing an SEC team or at tournament time. Those names just don't resonate with me as these girls are not known nationally. I take that back, I've heard of Olivia Cochran.

Amoore from VPI probably gets drafted. Westbeld from ND... Utsby probably woud get drafted, but I think she already stated that she is returnimg to school.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Amoore from VPI probably gets drafted. Westbeld from ND... Utsby probably woud get drafted, but I think she already stated that she is returnimg to school.
Utsby gets criticized by coach...and fans...but gives 100% every game. I think she'd look great in the Red and White, if she wants to come back for a 5th year!

Reaction Score
ShruUtsby gets criticized by coach...and fans...but gives 100% every game. I think she'd look great in the Red and White, if she wants to come back for a 5th year!
Utsby is a player every team needs. The negative vibes about her are because she never has developed any sort of offense. She can’t shoot. Her shot has not improved - in fact she doesn’t even try 3s any more. She was never a big threat from 3 but attempted 125 in her first 3 years for Chapel Hill making them around 30%. This year she is 0-6.

Idk if that’s Banghart telling her not to shoot that again or her just taking it upon herself not to. But a little odd. She’s also a career 57% FT shooter.

But she does everything else other than shoot it. Defense. Rebound. Blocks. Steals. Assists. She essentially averages a double double. I’d love a player like that on my team. I think she just gets banged on because she never progressed as a scorer/shooter and it’s magnified because Chapel Hill really lacks that. Kelly is that player for them but she’s not efficient and takes too many shots. They really need more offensive fire power and that’s just not who Utsby is - but it’s lacking on the team so I think maybe she becomes a scapegoat at times.

Fans trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Or hey, maybe we should scrutinize banghart a little here and wonder why she hasn’t been able to develop Utsby or Kelly into more efficient offensive players over the last 4 years. ;)

Reaction Score
ESPN projects Amoore as a top 10 pick. Some other site I saw listed Kelly and Utsby as being 2nd round picks but I also question that site as they listed Diamond Johnson as a NCSU player being picked as well and she doesn’t even play for State anymore.

I do know this. I hope Hayes returns for State. I don’t think she would be drafted or anything, but she would be a massive piece back for the Pack next year. Her and Caitlyn Clark are the only 2 players in the country shooting over 40% from 3 and averaging over 6 boards a game. Odd stat for sure, but she is a someone who isn’t flashy and won’t make a ton of highlight level plays but just gets it done game in game out.

She’s currently 44% from 3 and 7 rebounds a game in conference play, which apparently has never been done before in P5.

Reaction Score
Come here for ACC talk, stay for Regional BBQ suggestions :rolleyes:

Anyway.,,,

I would love for Brown to come back, but she already said at the beginning of the year that this was her last season.

I know the whole state of SC doesn't use mustard, but the fact that even some places in the state do has turned me off from ever eating any bbq in SC. With ONE exception. I've heard read about Rodney Scott BBQ, and I put it on my list of places to check out iif I ever venture to that part of the state.

I've been to Memphis several times, and not once did I ever have beef bbq, didn't even look to see if that was an option or not.

This post by Mitchell is inaccurate. Brown cannot return for a 5yr. She would have loved to come back. Players who redshirted the 20-21 covid season DO NOT get the extra year. Really bad luck for those kids!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN projects Amoore as a top 10 pick. Some other site I saw listed Kelly and Utsby as being 2nd round picks but I also question that site as they listed Diamond Johnson as a NCSU player being picked as well and she doesn’t even play for State anymore.

I do know this. I hope Hayes returns for State. I don’t think she would be drafted or anything, but she would be a massive piece back for the Pack next year. Her and Caitlyn Clark are the only 2 players in the country shooting over 40% from 3 and averaging over 6 boards a game. Odd stat for sure, but she is a someone who isn’t flashy and won’t make a ton of highlight level plays but just gets it done game in game out.

She’s currently 44% from 3 and 7 rebounds a game in conference play, which apparently has never been done before in P5.
I don’t know where you get that she and Clark are the only two players in the country shooting over 40% from 3. Oh. Okay. I gues I misread because you add AND average over 6 boards. Never mind. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Nothing close to official here, but the word on the street is that Cochran may be returning, How's that for a "definite maybe?"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This post by Mitchell is inaccurate. Brown cannot return for a 5yr. She would have loved to come back. Players who redshirted the 20-21 covid season DO NOT get the extra year. Really bad luck for those kids!

Ok. I didn't think she had eligibility left so that tweet confused me. I know she gets flack at times, but i love her being on the team. She would be perfect for us next year as Roberson learns the ropes.

Reaction Score
Ok. I didn't think she had eligibility left so that tweet confused me. I know she gets flack at times, but i love her being on the team. She would be perfect for us next year as Roberson learns the ropes.
I agree. It really is too bad. We will miss her presence next year.

I have noticed that MNortham isn't the best at tracking details like this.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree. It really is too bad. We will miss her presence next year.

I have noticed that MNortham isn't the best at tracking details like this.....

He is a good twitter follow for the most part. He isn't much of a fan of Duke. But that's just my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom