ACC options | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ACC options

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I grew up on the Seminoles and the 8 dwarves, remember the 1997 Judgment Day like it was yesterday (UNC vs FSU, Michigan vs Penn State). Wish nothing but the best for FSU. But they’ve been disgruntled for their entire time in the league, engineered expansion to suit their desires, promptly screwed the pooch as did their expansion targets, and now say the ACC did them dirty. If them, Miami, and VPI had kept up their end of the bargain, the ACC contract would look a lot different.
Judgement Day. That brings back memories! The program I was coaching for at the time had a huge win the night before on their way to their best season ever. Throw in those 2 games the following day and it was great. Still one of the nastiest hits I have ever seen was the Daydrion Taylor hit on the PSU TE. Glad both players wound up being ok.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where would FSU leave to though? I think the B1G has expansion fatigue at this point and just wants a little time to digest all the recent additions to see how they work out, and the SEC looks like it's damn near impossible to get into as they will take their sweet time adding the schools they choose not the ones begging to be in the club.
If FSU can leave, then Clemson can leave. The SEC will be interested. They'll go to the SEC in a heartbeat. The SEC then becomes an 18 team conference and an absolute monster in football. FSU and Clemson are geographically perfect with a huge presence and following.
Florida and South Carolina pols will lobby for their inclusion.

Reaction Score

SMU included free with purchase of two Pac-12 schools​

SALESMAN: Ha ha, of course you have! Here, come right in, come right in. Let me show you this. Near mint condition, 30% off, a flagship institution of higher learning. A bear of a deal! Comes with some sports packages.

SALESMAN: How much time do you have? Ha ha! You’re a busy man, much to do, I can see that. Let me tell you this: this tree is as sturdy as she comes. You get this tree, you also get a small collection of nerds with musical instruments who’ll spend three hours a week insulting you. Bet you don’t have that!

SALESMAN: Didn’t think so! But I can see you’re still wavering, so let me toss out this one last offer, and heck of a deal that I’m ready to offer you and only you. You agree to buy these two items here today, and I’ll throw in a pony.

Conference Realignment is having Sale!

BUY 2 GET 1 FREE!

Get yours now!

Reaction Score
Yeah no idea, but I am sure that things are happening in the margins, all the time. In fact Governor Lamont said as much in his quote on the subject.
Here is what Lamont said
"Look, everybody wants to be aligned with UConn. UConn is a university of winners. Men’s basketball, men’s hockey, football, across the board."

Who is the everybody he is talking about?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Things are fine now...the worry is that with the current unregulated NIL....teams with an extra $30-50 million per year can than use booster contributions heretofor earmarked for certain athletic department things to be poured into paying for athletes.
It's not going to stay unregulated for long. FSU will be fine. Even in this market, money isn't turning Minnesota into a powerhouse any time soon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If FSU can leave, then Clemson can leave. The SEC will be interested. They'll go to the SEC in a heartbeat. The SEC then becomes an 18 team conference and an absolute monster in football. FSU and Clemson are geographically perfect with a huge presence and following.
Florida and South Carolina pols will lobby for their inclusion.
Everyone says this. Why does the SEC want them? Or Clemson? They have the most popular teams in those states. Maybe if they could trade Vandy and Miss State, sure. Then there is TV. ESPN has their rights through 2036. Somebody has to explain the incentive they have to pay double for the same content. As for the B1G, I don't think it would touch either of them. UNC and UVA, sure.

Reaction Score
Miami just let a peek into NIL....released emails from a FSU guy who was portalling from Miami, asking how much the Canes would give to have him stay...those emails now have him sitting on the bench this year. He had petitioned the NCAA for a waiver, saying that he transferred to be near his sick mother...the NCAA denied the request when Miami sent them the emails.

Reaction Score
Here is what Lamont said
"Look, everybody wants to be aligned with UConn. UConn is a university of winners. Men’s basketball, men’s hockey, football, across the board."

Suzie and Warde

Reaction Score
Everyone says this. Why does the SEC want them? Or Clemson? They have the most popular teams in those states. Maybe if they could trade Vandy and Miss State, sure. Then there is TV. ESPN has their rights through 2036. Somebody has to explain the incentive they have to pay double for the same content. As for the B1G, I don't think it would touch either of them. UNC and UVA, sure.

Nobody can answer that question for sure...

But if you are maximizing match ups...FSU vs Florida (even a miserable Florida last year) drew millions (6.71)...so did FSU-.LSU (7.55). The Alabama-FSU games draw well (the 2012 opener drew 12 million).

FSU vs Duke, BC, UNC, GT, Va, etc..not so much.

Saying that, both Clemson and FSU were in the top 15 in viewership last season. Their views were double those of South Carolina and Mississippi.

Fer gawd's sake, ECU and Appy State had more views than VT, Virginia, Duke

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nobody can answer that question for sure...

But if you are maximizing match ups...FSU vs Florida (even a miserable Florida last year) drew millions (6.71)...so did FSU-.LSU (7.55). The Alabama-FSU games draw well (the 2012 opener drew 12 million).

FSU vs Duke, BC, UNC, GT, Va, etc..not so much.

Saying that, both Clemson and FSU were in the top 15 in viewership last season. Their views were double those of South Carolina and Mississippi.

Fer gawd's sake, ECU and Appy State had more views than VT, Virginia, Duke
Oh I get it. Both are draws compared to most. But those are ESPN's home games either way. ;)

Reaction Score
Oh I get it. Both are draws compared to most. But those are ESPN's home games either way. ;)

Naw...the current ACC poor match ups are on the ACCN...more viewers is much better than fewer viewers.

What the media may be moving to is maximizing marquee matches...more brands vs brands.

The question of whether there is enough value there to pay much more is an open question.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying but I don't think state lines are as meaningful as some think. The SEC is king and I think it makes sense to have 2 programs in Florida. It has two in Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, and even Mississippi. If it matters, Clemson is better academically than USC, has more applicants, Clemson is the land grant U, and has a bigger football stadium. Clemson has a cool school logo but I gotta give the athletic logo to USC.

Reaction Score
What one man has to say about current realignments...

Reaction Score
Here is what Lamont said

Winning winners who want to win

Reaction Score
Hmmm, interesting. I read that SMU is very wealthy

SMU Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
Naw...the current ACC poor match ups are on the ACCN...more viewers is much better than fewer viewers.

What the media may be moving to is maximizing marquee matches...more brands vs brands.

The question of whether there is enough value there to pay much more is an open question.
What that model -- maximizing marquee matches -- argues for (only economically of course) is less expanding with good teams and more getting rid of your bottomfeeders. You can add FSU and Clemson, but 'Bama still has to play Miss State, Ole Miss and Arkansas every year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here is what Lamont said

It’s what you say when you’ve lost and you need to say something other than that.

Reaction Score
What that model -- maximizing marquee matches -- argues for (only economically of course) is less expanding with good teams and more getting rid of your bottomfeeders. You can add FSU and Clemson, but 'Bama still has to play Miss State, Ole Miss and Arkansas every year.

Yes...but maybe on the SECN...9 SEC games came up on the SECN rather than major networks in 2022 week 1 alone

Reaction Score
I could see some lesser match ups moving to the SECN to free up slots for higher view matched.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The ACC looks weak going after three schools with nothing going for them other than academics. Mediocre sports, terrible location.

I still think the ACC is toast. If they offered us full membership (they won’t) I would take it. Short of that, Bud East and Independent football is working. Keep winning and wait till the next round of CR

Reaction Score
The ACC will only add programs if the numbers work....more $...and heck, as soon fly west as to Syracuse and Boston.

Reaction Score

This will the be the death of the acc network. That why adding the three schools makes zero sense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here is what Lamont said

That's not the quote I was referring to, but it's from the same article. Lamont said some thing like "things are happening all the time" or some similar verbiage that gave me the impression that we are in some kind of discussion at varying levels of seriousness fairly regularly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom