ACC options | Page 11 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
The ACC decision to not expand is great for us. More schools in our situation adds to the strength of our football independence. Now we have to play and beat them so we increase our leverage for future opportunities.
Our coach also presumably knows how to recruit California. Win all around

Reaction Score
Stanford's coach doesn't mind travelling...

"I'm OK with traveling," Taylor said. "Our guys love playing football, and if you've got to travel a little more, that means when people come play us, they got to travel," Taylor said. "We want to be in a great conference, and we're sure that will happen. The travel, if that happens, it's fine. People used to have to come across the country in a covered wagon -- it would take them months and they'd be completely different people by the time they got there. We get on a plane for five hours, six hours, that's not the end of the world. You get drinks served to you and some snacks, and it's not that bad."

Reaction Score
The ACC decision to not expand is great for us. More schools in our situation adds to the strength of our football independence. Now we have to play and beat them so we increase our leverage for future opportunities.
The ACC isn't adding because of one simple reason. Conference members are split on the way forward. Half the conference doesn't want to add new voting members who could potentially vote to dissolve the GOR.

You could add schools with the tacit agreement that they would support the dissolution of the GOR. Why would those schools dissolve the contract? Because they'd still be in a conference negotiating whatever comes next.

I doubt UConn will be added unless we're close to the end of the GOR or the GOR is somehow dissolved, if only because our vote would probably align with the northeastern schools.

The ACC is involved in a high risk game of chess that ends with a billion dollars in revenue.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't adding because of one simple reason. Conference members are split on the way forward. Half the conference doesn't want to add new voting members who could potentially vote to dissolve the GOR.

You could add schools with the tacit agreement that they would support the dissolution of the GOR. Why would those schools dissolve the contract? Because they'd still be in a conference negotiating whatever comes next.

I doubt UConn will be added unless we're close to the end of the GOR or the GOR is somehow dissolved, if only because our vote would probably align with the northeastern schools.

The ACC is involved in a high risk game of chess that ends with a billion dollars in revenue.
Well said. In the pre-Civil War U.S., Congress could only get the votes to add a slave state, or a free state, with the simultaneous admission of a free state or slave state, respectively, as Congress was unwilling to change the status quo as to Congressional power. That's exactly where the ACC is today.

Reaction Score
Well said. In the pre-Civil War U.S., Congress could only get the votes to add a slave state, or a free state, with the simultaneous admission of a free state or slave state, respectively, as Congress was unwilling to change the status quo as to Congressional power. That's exactly where the ACC is today.
Good analogy. How can they possibly agree to anything?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
so you're saying the ACC is stuck in a Civil ConFLiCT?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame butting in only fuels FSU anger more. FSU is like you got yours we want the same.

Reaction Score
If ND was in the ACC they would make less everyone else more. This is the problem.

Reaction Score
Just pointing out that Ole Miss has more market power than people up here probably expect. Most popular team in Memphis and parts of Arkansas. In 2021 they came in 18th most watched, ahead of Clemson, FSU, USC etc. I agreed with your point, they just weren’t an example of it.
Of course being popular in that territory is in no way related to the fact that MS was the last to drop the Confederate battle flag from the state flag or that the university, while no longer having the Colonel Reb mascot (officially) still is called Ole Miss and the teams are still the Rebels. The official explanation being that the term is no longer referring to Confederates but more modern rebels as anyone bucking the status quo. Uh, sure.

Reaction Score
Of course being popular in that territory is in no way related to the fact that MS was the last to drop the Confederate battle flag from the state flag or that the university, while no longer having the Colonel Reb mascot (officially) still is called Ole Miss and the teams are still the Rebels. The official explanation being that the term is no longer referring to Confederates but more modern rebels as anyone bucking the status quo. Uh, sure.

It has nothing to do with that.

They are the biggest and most prominent program in the area he described.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with that.

They are the biggest and most prominent program in the area he described.
I honestly didn't know that until The Blind Side. I did some looking into it and learned something. It's much closer to Memphis than U Tennessee and about as close to Little Rock as U Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't ACC go to some sort of payout where half the revenue shares or 75% are guaranteed and paid out equally amongst the other members. The remainder of the revenue share payouts are based on finishing order in the conference. More successful members will win a larger share of that pot that's left than the others. That way FSU and Clemson aren't getting the same payout as Boston College. I'd be pissed if I was them too. It also incentivizes the other schools to make an effort to be more competitive. Then do the same for basketball for whatever allocable portion of revenues relate to basketball vs. football.

Reaction Score
I honestly didn't know that until The Blind Side. I did some looking into it and learned something. It's much closer to Memphis than U Tennessee and about as close to Little Rock as U Arkansas.

When I was in school in Memphis, UT was probably the most popular but Ole Miss was a close #2. But they are clearly the biggest program in the area. Memphis is really little brother to UT and Ole Miss.

It’s a cool campus and amazing place to take in a game. My opinion on their fans is very mixed.

Reaction Score

Ole Miss is less than an hour away from Memphis. It’s like comparing KU’s proximity to Kansas City. It was nothing to pop down to Oxford to see a band or something.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame butting in only fuels FSU anger more. FSU is like you got yours we want the same.
Interesting video along those lines on the Notre Dame vs. FSU's, Clemson reasoning. Along with UNC, Virginia and NC St, who he claims voted against Cal, Stanford and SMU, which he says add next to nothing ( says the PAC 2 would come in at 70%, SMU for zip as reported).

Pretty much the fight is vs. Notre Dame, ESPN and the other yes votes ( incl Miami) want ACC to stay together as long as possible.....before many different outcomes ( B1G interests, SEC interests, etc) of more CR have a chance to play out. Also mentions an AUG 15 date as important.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I've often thought why say that "you're interested" in two schools only to take a big steaming dump on them days later and say "well they didn't bring value." How about a little due diligence before the whole dog and pony show about "we are considering the schools" asshats?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That's a possibility, it's also a possibility that ESPN doesn't want them to be viable after 2036 and that's won't pay for any additions.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't ACC go to some sort of payout where half the revenue shares or 75% are guaranteed and paid out equally amongst the other members. The remainder of the revenue share payouts are based on finishing order in the conference. More successful members will win a larger share of that pot that's left than the others. That way FSU and Clemson aren't getting the same payout as Boston College. I'd be pissed if I was them too. It also incentivizes the other schools to make an effort to be more competitive. Then do the same for basketball for whatever allocable portion of revenues relate to basketball vs. football.
I think they were working on something along those lines. I don't know if it ever passed.

Reaction Score
FSU wants the payout to based on TV viewership not on field success

Absolutely...pay related to the money that you bring in to the conference.

Of course, there are other agendas...pay on success in all sports including lacrosse, field hockey, soccer. They have nothing to do with affecting money to the conference, but will push some schools up.

I think that the new CFP money may go more to those who 1...make the CFP. 2 are ranked in the CFP.

Reaction Score
Here is the interview with Iowa St AD in case you haven't heard of it yet. We were so damn close to get in until PAC blew up.

Starts at 9:43:

But once Colorado left they were always going to blow up, so not really that close. I don't buy for a second that the PAC almost stayed together sans Colorado, once the pump was primed it was over. Oregon and Washington were 3/4 of the way out the door and everyone probably knew it too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom