ACC Off-Season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC Off-Season

Reaction Score
I think their only real question mark is at the 5 position. Westbeld and Karlan are both 4s which leaves King and Koval. King has a really nice game as an undersized center but realistically ND is going to need someone who can bang with the Lauren Betts and Audi Crooks of the world. That has to be Koval. I do think she’ll be an impact player from day one but if she can be even more than that they’ll be a top three team all year IMO.
The transition to the next level as a post player is one of the most challenging there is. Aside from not having the lower body strength required to bang with the older, more experienced bigs is the propensity to commit excessive fouls while guarding them and especially those pesky swift guards attacking the basket - resulting in more bench time than court time. I agree that is their only real weakness other than Hidalgo's tendency to ball hog somewhat.

Reaction Score
Duke playing at S.C. we already knew about. Playing at Md and playing at neutral site vs either KSU or Ok are the most challenging non conf. games for the Blue Devils. Kind of underwhelming for an "elite" program imo

Reaction Score
Duke playing at S.C. we already knew about. Playing at Md and playing at neutral site vs either KSU or Ok are the most challenging non conf. games for the Blue Devils. Kind of underwhelming for an "elite" program imo

Programs like Columbia, South Dakota State and South Florida shouldn't be underestimated. For a team with the amount of youth on this roster, these are disciplined teams that would be a good challenge for them.

Reaction Score

Programs like Columbia, South Dakota State and South Florida shouldn't be underestimated. For a team with the amount of youth on this roster, these are disciplined teams that would be a good challenge for them.

yo. @triaddukefan . Weren't you on our board a few days ago talking about USF?

Radford? Dayton? Liberty?

Reaction Score

I'm not underestimating those programs at all. Columbia lost the best player in their history to graduation, USF was very mediocre last year for the first time in forever they didn't dominate their own conference, and S.Dakota State is good but not on the caliber of Duke I think. This is NOT an overly challenging schedule.

Reaction Score
I'm not underestimating those programs at all. Columbia lost the best player in their history to graduation, USF was very mediocre last year for the first time in forever they didn't dominate their own conference, and S.Dakota State is good but not on the caliber of Duke I think. This is NOT an overly challenging schedule.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make and if that's how you interpreted, my apologies. From my point of view games like these will be a good test to see how the freshman handle the transition to D1 and who out junior and senior class, save for DeJesus, will take the team on their shoulders from a leadership perspective.

Reaction Score
That wasn't the point I was trying to make and if that's how you interpreted, my apologies. From my point of view games like these will be a good test to see how the freshman handle the transition to D1 and who out junior and senior class, save for DeJesus, will take the team on their shoulders from a leadership perspective.
We're mostly just ragging on a recent triad post triad.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
Who said that Duke was "elite"? This is a program in recovery due to the actions of the previous HC. Signs are pointing in the right direction thanks to Kara, but they're not back to elite status yet.

Reaction Score
Who said that Duke was "elite"? This is a program in recovery due to the actions of the previous HC. Signs are pointing in the right direction thanks to Kara, but they're not back to elite status yet.
I agree with you that's why elite was in "". I'm curious as to what programs you and others on our illustrious board here consider elite outside of UConn and SC. Is Texas ? ND ? NC? NC St ? MD ? USC ? UCLA ? LSU ? AZ ? UT ? IN ? Stan ?

Reaction Score
I agree with you that's why elite was in "". I'm curious as to what programs you and others on our illustrious board here consider elite outside of UConn and SC. Is Texas ? ND ? NC? NC St ? MD ? USC ? UCLA ? LSU ? AZ ? UT ? IN ? Stan ?
“ Elite” means: (a) track record of success (b) proven coach at highest levels, and (c) a boatload of talent.

LSU: (a) recent success at NCG (b) Kim is
Proven at highest levels (c) four very high grade players. Elite and dangerous.

Texas: has been to elite 8 a couple times in last few years. Vic has been to the championship game twice at Msst. Very Good talent. Okay, elite minus.

Notre Dame: history of success under Muffet but has not gotten to an elite level since - though within striking distance with a talented group of players. Not quite there +

Southern Cal: been forever since they were in the final 4 but last year was pretty dang good. Coached turned this dead program around FAST.Lots of young talent could break through at any time. I expect them to be at or near the aactual elite level soon. Elite minus.

UCLA has been a OC challenger for the first half of this decade but fails at the NCAA level. One elite 8 decades ago. Lots of talent this year but coaching questions are there. Not there.

Louisville and NCState are not there but both have very good coaches . Maryland and Brenda are no longer elite. I’m

Reaction Score
“ Elite” means: (a) track record of success (b) proven coach at highest levels, and (c) a boatload of talent.

LSU: (a) recent success at NCG (b) Kim is
Proven at highest levels (c) four very high grade players. Elite and dangerous.

Texas: has been to elite 8 a couple times in last few years. Vic has been to the championship game twice at Msst. Very Good talent. Okay, elite minus.

Notre Dame: history of success under Muffet but has not gotten to an elite level since - though within striking distance with a talented group of players. Not quite there +

Southern Cal: been forever since they were in the final 4 but last year was pretty dang good. Coached turned this dead program around FAST.Lots of young talent could break through at any time. I expect them to be at or near the aactual elite level soon. Elite minus.

UCLA has been a OC challenger for the first half of this decade but fails at the NCAA level. One elite 8 decades ago. Lots of talent this year but coaching questions are there. Not there.

Louisville and NCState are not there but both have very good coaches . Maryland and Brenda are no longer elite. I’m
How is Louisville not considered an "elite -" when they made the Elite 8 three consecutive years and the Final Four in the 2022-2023 season?

Reaction Score
How is Louisville not considered an "elite -" when they made the Elite 8 three consecutive years and the Final Four in the 2022-2023 season?
Current talent level is down. They have been elite. So has Maryland but neither is presently elite. The portal has been unkind to them both. They need to reload and put their fingers in their respective dykes.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I don't think that any team that hasn't sniffed a Final Four and earned/competed for multiple conference titles in the last five seasons should be considered "elite". The only other elite teams on your list by those measures would be Stanford (though they may be in decline), NC State, and LSU (we know which team stops them from winning SEC titles).

And based on the teams listed, I'm not sure why Iowa, Louisville, Virginia Tech, or Baylor weren't included (not definitively calling them elite, but they're more elite than most of those teams listed).

Reaction Score
Current talent level is down. They have been elite. So has Maryland but neither is presently elite. The portal has been unkind to them both. They need to reload and put their fingers in their respective dykes.
Considering where you rank Texas listed when Louisville was more successful over that same period, that's why I'm asking the question.

I'm not sure if I would say Texas' roster was more elite compared the Louisville during that same period of time you're using. Louisville's 2023-2024 season is the only one in recent memory where their roster talent hasn't been the greatest.

Going into this season maybe, but Louisville has a good 2024 class coming in that could make significant contributions this season.

edit

Changed the structure of my paragraphs after re-reading this.

Reaction Score
I don't think that any team that hasn't sniffed a Final Four and earned/competed for multiple conference titles in the last five seasons should be considered "elite". The only other elite teams on your list by those measures would be Stanford (though they may be in decline), NC State, and LSU (we know which team stops them from winning SEC titles).

And based on the teams listed, I'm not sure why Iowa, Louisville, Virginia Tech, or Baylor weren't included (not definitively calling them elite, but they're more elite than most of those teams listed).
It was by no means meant to be a comprehensive list. I was just throwing some suggestions out there to get people thinking. I thought about Iowa but there's been a coaching change and you-know-who graduated. Two great seasons and one decent one a while back. I forgot about Louisville to be honest and Baylor and VT have also had coaching changes. KY may end up being like LSU as nearly all his players have followed him there but Kitley is gone so...I do appreciate your insight however.

Reaction Score
Louisville seems to do more with less talent than a few other programs. They play defense and that doesn't make for pretty basketball but defense is what gets teams to E8's and great defense is more effort than skill.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
yo. @triaddukefan . Weren't you on our board a few days ago talking about USF?

Radford? Dayton? Liberty?

South Florida is a perennial power in the upper mid majors.

Radford is a former power in the Big South. Dayton has been a perennial power in the Atlantic 10. Liberty has always been a mid major force.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Duke aint elite, and I love DukeWBB as much as than anyone. We are a emerging squad.... A scrappy up and coming program. We have 9 freshman and sophomores out of our 14 scholarship players... So we need a few gimmies for our youngsters. :cool:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
It was by no means meant to be a comprehensive list. I was just throwing some suggestions out there to get people thinking. I thought about Iowa but there's been a coaching change and you-know-who graduated. Two great seasons and one decent one a while back. I forgot about Louisville to be honest and Baylor and VT have also had coaching changes. KY may end up being like LSU as nearly all his players have followed him there but Kitley is gone so...I do appreciate your insight however.
No they won't.

Reaction Score
Finally Fournier can join her teammates... Thanks again Duke :rolleyes:

First order of business, introducing her to the joys of NC food. I know she is tired of poutine, maple syrup, and roast moose, or whatever they eat up in Canada.

You forget she's from Toronto where we have great Italian, Caribbean, Asian and Indian food thanks to multiculturalism to supplement our Canadian staples ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom