ACC network officially happening | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC network officially happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well whatever - you'd be surprised I guess. Blumenthal did us no favors - pure and simple. The case was a farce. But one thing is for sure - it really doesn't matter now.
It wasn't a farce. It was likely the right call at the time It resulted in a seven figure settlement payment to the school and kept the Big East intact for a bit longer, which allowed football to grow into a BCS program.

Reaction Score
Do you have a source?
You could Google it, ESPN owns the channels, Each SEC school receives a guarantee & production credits for any content they produce for the digital channel. Any profit after expenses is split between the conference & ESPN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You could Google it, ESPN owns the channels, Each SEC school receives a guarantee & production credits for any content they produce for the digital channel. Any profit after expenses is split between the conference & ESPN.

Looked but I couldn't find it. Profit (net of expenses) is interesting. Are they amortizing start up costs? IF you stumble on to a link, post it. I'd be interested in looking at the details.

Reaction Score
Looked but I couldn't find it. Profit (net of expenses) is interesting. Are they amortizing start up costs? IF you stumble on to a link, post it. I'd be interested in looking at the details.
It was available when the network was announced but can't seem to find a link, I'm sure ESPN is recovering their upfront cost including the inventory they had to buy back from RSN's. The only thing I'm hearing that is different from the SECN is that the ACCN will focus more on digital distribution more so than placement of the linear channel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is actually a big incentive for the ACC to add a school or two right now. With a network, things like ratings and markets really matter, so while scheduling could be a problem with 15 full members, getting access to another market would really help. And with the Big 12 announcement, they have to move quickly or they could lose their top targets. The ACC surprises with a lot of its moves. Hopefully it will do so again.

Reaction Score
There is actually a big incentive for the ACC to add a school or two right now. With a network, things like ratings and markets really matter, so while scheduling could be a problem with 15 full members, getting access to another market would really help. And with the Big 12 announcement, they have to move quickly or they could lose their top targets. The ACC surprises with a lot of its moves. Hopefully it will do so again.
The weakness in this proposed network is clearly the northeast corridor. How they don't find value in Uconn is beyond me. I would think adding UConn would help get carriage fees from Boston to lower Fairfield/westchester county up through Poughkeepsie and even Albany. Do you agree?

Reaction Score
I thought you believed them to be the worst manged and least forward thinking of all of the conferences? Oh wait, that's my opinion of you.

Reaction Score
The weakness in this proposed network is clearly the northeast corridor. How they don't find value in Uconn is beyond me. I would think adding UConn would help get carriage fees from Boston to lower Fairfield/westchester county up through Poughkeepsie and even Albany. Do you agree?
Maybe. The cable providers they need to deal with seem to already carry some form of the ACC in those markets via NESN and MSG as well as some of the local TV affiliates, including one in Hartford for FB.

One thing is certain is that they have all of the relevant TV ratings for all sports and have an understanding of how many "quality" programs they will need to fill the 2019 network. That will include women's BB, olympic sports and some of the more minor sports.

The question is whether or not the ACC needs #15 in FB without a firm join date for #16. 15 works for all the other sports without a problem. And if you like internet rumors and speculation, how about #16 in all sports being TX with TX getting the ND football deal form the ACC (5 games every year that count as conference games for the ACC).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why isn't ESPN insisting UConn be added?

Reaction Score
Say whaaaaaat? :rolleyes:

Pay attention. That's all I got. Shirley you will.

UofL has been streaming players into the NFL. With Petrino back and a hot QB, you may want to watch. Then also, with FSU and Clemson on tap before October, we'll know early.

I like where we're at.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football is the driver for traditional ESPN and Fox TV contracts, Less so for a conference network.

Reaction Score
there's too many moving parts to say with any confidence whether this is good or bad for UConn.

but my gut feeling says it's bad for UConn.

for the life of me I can't understand why FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and any other school with a puncher's chance at the SEC or Big 10 would sign an extended GOR.
Eastern coast is altogether a different market than the Midwest and deep South. It definitely has the long-term potential to compete with the Big Ten.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have this 0.5% hope that when the ACC announces its network in a few hours that they also announce that they'll be adding UConn as well....I know it is a 99.5% long shot but there's just this small part of me that wants to hear it so it can all be over and we can play with regional teams we all wanna play!

Reaction Score
I have this 0.5% hope that when the ACC announces its network in a few hours that they also announce that they'll be adding UConn as well....I know it is a 99.5% long shot but there's just this small part of me that wants to hear it so it can all be over and we can play with regional teams we all wanna play!
Me too.

Reaction Score
Just finished listening to the announcement press conference. No expansion announcement, but I admit that my heart skipped some beats when Swofford referred to "our current membership" and "our current footprint. " (emphasis added by me). Humm...

Reaction Score
Also interested to hear was that indeed every signed onto the extended GOR

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I would guess if the ACC expanded they would prefer to go for Cincy. It gets them a little further into B1G territory. I think they feel with Cuse and ND they get a good share in NYC. Still I'd love it if they asked us. Between ACC and the Big 12, ACC is a better fit, IMO.

Reaction Score
Looks like the ACC will move to 20 conference games in basketball....

www.cbssports.com/college-bask...coming-network/

"In addition to potentially increasing the strength of schedule for the entire ACC, an increase in the conference schedule means two more home-and-home pairings for each school. In theory, that should help balance the schedules among the 15 teams -- or at least create less imbalance in the annual chase of a regular season championship.

But while strength of schedule and schedule balance are results of the extra two games, the name of the game is inventory. Adding an ACC Network cable channel means the league will want more games that it has exclusive rights to air, and now there's more inventory with the addition of more league games on the schedule."

Reaction Score
Looks like the ACC will move to 20 conference games in basketball....

www.cbssports.com/college-bask...coming-network/

"In addition to potentially increasing the strength of schedule for the entire ACC, an increase in the conference schedule means two more home-and-home pairings for each school. In theory, that should help balance the schedules among the 15 teams -- or at least create less imbalance in the annual chase of a regular season championship.

But while strength of schedule and schedule balance are results of the extra two games, the name of the game is inventory. Adding an ACC Network cable channel means the league will want more games that it has exclusive rights to air, and now there's more inventory with the addition of more league games on the schedule."

Look for an announcement of a Wake/BCU home and home very soon. :cool:

Reaction Score
Surely a league that typically projects 50% of its members into the tourney can draw a few eyeballs. In Olympic Sports, Louisville fans have always supported the squads in every way, and on very regular basis. Bowl Boards remember things like the 35K Louisville took to the Orange Bowl and an equally loud number to the Sugar Bowl. The girls hoops team draws 11K a game and baseball is inching closer to 3K per game.

We'll watch an Olympic swimmer - or 2 or 3. This was the defining difference between UC0nn and UofL - it wasn't just football, it was all sports. Graduating 94 of 97 of Strong's recruits did not hurt, either, nor the perfect APR for so many athletic programs. Jurich made some incredible calls at the leadership position.

Reaction Score
Surely a league that typically projects 50% of its members into the tourney can draw a few eyeballs. In Olympic Sports, Louisville fans have always supported the squads in every way, and on very regular basis. Bowl Boards remember things like the 35K Louisville took to the Orange Bowl and an equally loud number to the Sugar Bowl. The girls hoops team draws 11K a game and baseball is inching closer to 3K per game.

We'll watch an Olympic swimmer - or 2 or 3. This was the defining difference between UC0nn and UofL - it wasn't just football, it was all sports. Graduating 94 of 97 of Strong's recruits did not hurt, either, nor the perfect APR for so many athletic programs. Jurich made some incredible calls at the leadership position.
Not trying to hate on Louisville, as they have a great athletic department that'd strengthen any conference.

But the defining difference between UConn and UofL was - as always - the ACC's shortsightedness.

Reaction Score

Please, don't try and compare UofL academics with UConn. UofL is community college level, 13th grade if you will. UConn is one of the top public universities in the country. Absolutely no comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom