ACC network officially happening | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC network officially happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please, don't try and compare UofL academics with UConn. UofL is community college level, 13th grade if you will. UConn is one of the top public universities in the country. Absolutely no comparison.
You guys keep repeating the same mantra. Let's get over it please. Academics do not matter to any conference other than possibly the B1G. Louisville fields competitive teams in sports that matter. Readin', writin', rithmetic', don't matter as long as you can pass a football. There is no indication that the ACC is coming for UConn. They have no need to expand.

Reaction Score
You guys keep repeating the same mantra. Let's get over it please. Academics do not matter to any conference other than possibly the B1G. Louisville fields competitive teams in sports that matter. Readin', writin', rithmetic', don't matter as long as you can pass a football. There is no indication that the ACC is coming for UConn. They have no need to expand.

Ok, let's look at athletic departments. Shall we compare national championships won? Bcs bowl appearances? How about NCAA tournament teams? Let's see, mbb, wbb, baseball, msoccer, wsoccer, field hockey.... Oh, and by the way, if your argument is going to be that only football matters, UofL record against UConn is only 6 and 4. So that argument doesn't work.

Reaction Score
Ok, let's look at athletic departments. Shall we compare national championships won? Bcs bowl appearances? How about NCAA tournament teams? Let's see, mbb, wbb, baseball, msoccer, wsoccer, field hockey.... Oh, and by the way, if your argument is going to be that only football matters, UofL record against UConn is only 6 and 4. So that argument doesn't work.
The term pass a football is not literal. Louisville has a competitive athletic department. All I'm saying is academics don't matter. Their head to head record with UConn also doesn't matter. Outcome of a single game does not matter. I am just saying stop with the Louisville comparisons. They are in a P5 and that won't change. Same with Rutgers.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Surely a league that typically projects 50% of its members into the tourney can draw a few eyeballs. In Olympic Sports, Louisville fans have always supported the squads in every way, and on very regular basis. Bowl Boards remember things like the 35K Louisville took to the Orange Bowl and an equally loud number to the Sugar Bowl. The girls hoops team draws 11K a game and baseball is inching closer to 3K per game.

We'll watch an Olympic swimmer - or 2 or 3. This was the defining difference between UC0nn and UofL - it wasn't just football, it was all sports. Graduating 94 of 97 of Strong's recruits did not hurt, either, nor the perfect APR for so many athletic programs. Jurich made some incredible calls at the leadership position.

Yeah, that perfect APR, lol. That sounds just like the Yum! balance sheet.

Those "grades" must be the result of the accountability coming from the strong moral leadership in the Louisville athLeticia department.

Reaction Score

I guess a UConn fan sees his program with a different color of glass in his lens than maybe a non fan.

Football:

1...UConn has never beaten a team while it played in the ACC that had a winning conference record..that's just a fact.
2...UConn has never finished a season ranked
3...in the BCS game year oft cited...UConn (8-5) was in a three way conference champ tie and was a three way co-champ of the Big East.

4....Louisville has beaten since 2000, 12 win Boise State in the bowl and 11 win BYU in the bowl and 11 win Florida in the Sugar BCS bowl
5...Louisville has won 7 bowl games since 2000
6...Since 2000, Louisville has finished AP ranked 6 times, twice finished #6 in AP

Louisville has a legit football program.

Not saying that UConn is not a good program...just that if you were looking at football, Louisville looked better.

Reaction Score
I guess a UConn fan sees his program with a different color of glass in his lens than maybe a non fan.

Football:

1...UConn has never beaten a team while it played in the ACC that had a winning conference record..that's just a fact.
3...in the BCS game year oft cited...UConn (8-5) was in a three way conference champ tie and was a three way co-champ of the Big East.

4....Louisville has beaten since 2000, 12 win Boise State in the bowl and 11 win BYU in the bowl and 11 win Florida in the Sugar BCS bowl
6...Since 2000, Louisville has finished AP ranked 6 times, twice finished #6 in AP

Not saying that UConn is not a good program...just that if you were looking at football, Louisville looked better.

As far as Boneyard awards go, you get the lifetime a.s.s. hole of the year award. Congrats.

Reaction Score
That's not fair to billybud, it's true. However, if we had hired Petrino when Edsall left we'd have had similar success. You have to play to win and the only way to do that with certainty is to hire a coach that will win (often at all costs). We know our potential and we know where we can go but we need to show the rest of the sports world by doing it. You don't get many points for doing things on the up and up. Check out UNC, Cuse etc. for evidence of that. You think UConn would have played Winston after the crab leg heist? No chance.

Reaction Score

Football:

But if we look at overall athletic departments then UConn would look better. UConn would have the edge in mbb, wbb, men's soccer, field hockey. Baseball would be a draw.

Reaction Score
That's not fair to billybud, it's true. However, if we had hired Petrino when Edsall left we'd have had similar success. You have to play to win and the only way to do that with certainty is to hire a coach that will win (often at all costs). We know our potential and we know where we can go but we need to show the rest of the sports world by doing it. You don't get many points for doing things on the up and up. Check out UNC, Cuse etc. for evidence of that. You think UConn would have played Winston after the crab leg heist? No chance.

With this CR crap going on the last thing I want to read is an FSU/ACC fan minimizing our history.

Reaction Score
I responded to a guy about why Louisville might have looked better for football to the ACC when he said he couldn't understand it.

I stated facts..as a non Husky might see them.

I understand that some are tender skinned...but it is a timely topic as outsiders will be reviewing programs for Big 12 acceptance.

I also posted earlier today that I thought UConn would be taken when the total package of market, fan support, and success of all sports are considered.

Reaction Score
With this CR crap going on the last thing I want to read is an FSU/ACC fan minimizing our history.

Ahhh...and that is the crux.

Not that you disagree with the facts...and they would be uncontested if my handle was UConnmike...the issue is that I am not a member of the tribe.

I get it..always have understood tribalism and college fandom.

It was not a criticism of UConn, it was a view of Louisville not common to this board, but not uncommon elsewhere.

Reaction Score

Not that you disagree with the facts...and they would be uncontested if my handle was UConnmike...the issue is that I am not a member of the tribe.

It was not a criticism of UConn, it was a view of Louisville not common to this board, but not uncommon elsewhere.

You responding to my post twice says all anyone needs to know about you. Not sure why you feel the need to be blowing ACC smoke up everyone's ass around here but whatever.

Reaction Score
Surely a league that typically projects 50% of its members into the tourney can draw a few eyeballs. In Olympic Sports, Louisville fans have always supported the squads in every way, and on very regular basis. Bowl Boards remember things like the 35K Louisville took to the Orange Bowl and an equally loud number to the Sugar Bowl. The girls hoops team draws 11K a game and baseball is inching closer to 3K per game.

We'll watch an Olympic swimmer - or 2 or 3. This was the defining difference between UC0nn and UofL - it wasn't just football, it was all sports. Graduating 94 of 97 of Strong's recruits did not hurt, either, nor the perfect APR for so many athletic programs. Jurich made some incredible calls at the leadership position.

Please don't talk about LV and UConn academics in the same breath. It betrays the depth of your ignorance. My Boston Terrier graduated summà cum laude from LV 4 years ago. Now he is a very smart Boston, but UConn totally intimidated him. LV is a s#! + school, so try your trolling elsewhere.

Reaction Score

BB - you're back in fine form! (at least I hope so!) How can I tell? Because you are pissing everyone off with inane comments. Keep it up so we'll know you're on the mend. I really missed kicking you around, so stay healthy you old idiot!
?

Reaction Score
there's too many moving parts to say with any confidence whether this is good or bad for UConn.

but my gut feeling says it's bad for UConn.

for the life of me I can't understand why FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and any other school with a puncher's chance at the SEC or Big 10 would sign an extended GOR.

The ACC footprint covers 45% of the televisions in the United States. That's the benefit of covering the entire east coast.

With the new ACC Network, the conference expects to be on the same financial grounds as the SEC and BIG 10. Since the new ACC network will be run out of the same facility in Charlotte as the ESPN's SEC network, I suspect the ACC has fully vetted the numbers with ESPN before agreeing to the deal.

ACC schools get to stay in their own conference and make a ton of money, and they don't have to worry about anyone leaving. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Reaction Score
BB - you're back in fine form! (at least I hope so!) How can I tell? Because you are pissing everyone off with inane comments. Keep it up so we'll know you're on the mend. I really missed kicking you around, so stay healthy you old idiot!
?

Damn...thanks, I think! LOL

Reaction Score

That's really the key right there. The hiring of Pasqualoni completely blunted any momentum that the football program had and it hurt at a very critical time. It's going to take awhile to shake off the damage that came from it and you just hope that the image of the football program can recover and become attractive enough for another league to buy in on it.

Reaction Score

Football:

I can't disagree with you regarding assessment of football at UConn
A UConn's fan perception of Louisville football is based primarily on the years after Petrino left when their program was in the Tank. They came in specifically to replace the football schools that left and failed miserably. It's not meant to insult Louisville it's just a fact. Four Consecutive mediocre seasons in a weakened Big East ,at a critical time when it's TV contract and it's survival was bring decided is not what we brought them in for. Louisville football came in like a lion ,played like a lamb ,and went out like a lion. Football being ruled by a collective amnesia they emerged non the worse for their mediocrity.
But that's pretty similar to basing UConn football solely on the basis of the 2011-2014 ,it's unfair and doesn't tell the whole story . If you asked a fellow AAC school their assessment of UConn football In those years you probably wouldn't want to hear the answer.
In Louisville's case they made a good hire too late to help the Big East but in time to restore their reputation.
They went 11-2 and in 2011 ,taking full advantage of in place Big East bowl tie ins, after the the Big East was history. We had the same opportunity but managed to fumble it away, even in its success. But the principal's of amnesia are still in place so the story is far from over.
If Maryland never left and Loiusville was stuck in AAC.
They wouldn't of been happy but I suspect they would be kicking butt in football instead if acting like entitled children . What team do you suppose would be a unanimous choice for B12 inclusion.
There's and old saying preached to me early in my career
"When that bus comes around you better have your ticket ready , because you never know when it's going to come around again" Louisville simply had theirs ready
Our AD was concerned with pleasing CT HS football coaches .
A world view not helpful in the competitive environment of big time college football
Get over the past create a winning environment and good things will happen. I actually think the current UConn adminstration gets it.
The fact that a good number on the BB board would sell football down the river to save their sport speaks volumes .Thank God that adminstration doesn't agree with that parochial view.

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
All that needs to happen is we need to give up our independence.
Of course I don't think that happens until it becomes a requirement for a team to have won a conference championship game (implicitly or explicitly) in order to reach the CFP.

But in terms of the ACC adding UConn, if it were at all possible to make uneven divisions work I think they could add UConn before ND goes all in. Conversely, they may be holding that spot for Texas in 10 years. Who knows? UConn is more of natural fit in the ACC but first conference to offer - we are there!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ACC isn't expanding because they don't have the pro rata clause.

To expand everyone else would need to take less money. This obviously isn't going to happen - which is why the speculation is silly that the ACC is going to randomly add UConn out of the blue.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't expanding because they don't have the pro rata clause.

To expand everyone else would need to take less money. This obviously isn't going to happen - which is why the speculation is silly that the ACC is going to randomly add UConn out of the blue.

Unless the thought process was that eventually they would add UConn but since they always would be available there was no rush. There is a lot of evidence that UConn is about to become unavailable, at least in the short term. The question is how much the ACC values UConn. Enough to add now? Wait until later to add? Never add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom