ACC/ESPN joining the scheduling fun, happy days for Cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC/ESPN joining the scheduling fun, happy days for Cuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ACC has 5 schools in the Northeast: SU, BC, Pitt, Maryland, UVA (?)

Big East has 2: UConn, RU

The outlier card does not hold true anymore and it will hurt our football recruiting.

MD is mid-Atlantic.

My sister lives in VA. I dare you to tell a Virginian that they are in the Northeast.

PITT is almost in Ohio. Northeast??

Reaction Score
MD is mid-Atlantic.

My sister lives in VA. I dare you to tell a Virginian that they are in the Northeast.

PITT is almost in Ohio. Northeast??

I don't need a geography lesson (I was actually a finalist in the NY State geography bee!).

I'm talking about the opportunity for parents to see their kids play. ACC offers more opportunities to Northeast kids than the Big East.

Reaction Score
Speaking of parents opportunity to see their kids play, I wonder if Kyle Backolah's decision to come to UCONN was influenced in part by SMU and Houston joining the Big East? Maybe chalk one up for the new Big East. Hopefully more Texas recruits are on their way.

Reaction Score
Reading this just gave me mental whiplash. The "big time Programs" are going to have more trouble getting 7-8 home games but you look forward to Uconn being able to do it?

Yup. We don't have dumb leadership people, just misguided for so long. They'll maintain basketball as the premiere b-ball confernce in the country. I've got complete confidence that they'll have the same effort in football now, and begin to understand the sport more.

I don't see us going to the nine game conference schedules. Not with a 6 & 6 format with so much distance in between.

5 games in division and 3 cross, 4 home, 4 away, conference schedule rotating cross division opponents and travel years. That's what I can see happening. West coast teams aren't going to need to make cross country trips that often. Vice versa for east coast.

DIvision leaders play the yearly, championship game in NYC

That leaves 4 games a year for programs to fill out of conference. That leavs all the programs open to begin to schedule those home and homes, and espeically the 2 home and 1 away's, with regional opponents to get those regular 7 and 8 game home seasons that mean so much.

Look at the scheduling that's going to go on in these conferenes with 14 teams, and you'll either see that programs will end up not playing conference opponents in alternating years, or it will become much more common for the big time programs out there that scheule 8 home games a year regularly, to start getting 7 or 6 games at home only

I've been called crazy before, we'll see what happens. Jim Boeheim nailed it one of his first press releases after Cuse announced they were on the way to ACC.

He basically said that when it comes to scheduling, these large conferences are going to be a disaster.

The multiple pod system can work for scheduling, but that completely destroys the whole concept of conference rivalry, and Coach K at Duke made that pretty clear too.

This is what happens, when television executives,and university accountants start making athletic decisions. The whole concept and mechanisms, and difficulty of actually scheduling sporting events, years in advance, gets on.

All they care is that there is a game on TV. They don't care how, when or why, or for that matter, who that much.

Athletic departments can't operate that way. You don't just put everybody's name into a hat and start pulling when you're scheduling.

The big east is going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
I've been called crazy before, we'll see what happens. Jim Boeheim nailed it one of his first press releases after Cuse announced they were on the way to ACC.

He basically said that when it comes to scheduling, these large conferences are going to be a disaster.

The multiple pod system can work for scheduling, but that completely destroys the whole concept of conference rivalry, and Coach K at Duke made that pretty clear too. Spot on. The early rumor is that when the backstabbers join the acc for bball, no longer will nc.state and wake play sacred home and away games vs tobacco road rivals unc and duke every year. And people down there are having a conniption fit. So. Should be more concrete information available Monday.

This is what happens, when television executives,and university accountants start making athletic decisions. The whole concept and mechanisms, and difficulty of actually scheduling sporting events, years in advance, gets on. NBC Sports Network and "King of Broadcast", Mark Lazarus are looking better every day as an alternative voice.

The big east is going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
If anyone thinks UConn wants to be in this skidmark of a conference, they're too duck*ing stupid to be here.
Big Skidmark, truer words have never been typed in the anals (sic) of sports conferences. PC, St. John's, DePaul, Houston, San Diego State, Boise CC, what a dump!

Reaction Score
ACC has 5 schools in the Northeast: SU, BC, Pitt, Maryland, UVA (?)

Big East has 2: UConn, RU

The outlier card does not hold true anymore and it will hurt our football recruiting.
UMD and UVA qualify as Mid-Atlantic. Pitt is right by or in the Midwest. So that leaves the ACC with two teams in the true Northeast.

Reaction Score
ESPN the good corporate neighbor . . . how about exerting some influence and taking Connecticut along with you into the ACC.

Reaction Score
ESPN the good corporate neighbor . . . how about exerting some influence and taking Connecticut along with you into the ACC.
Let's aim for the B1G. We're stuck where we are for a while, anyway. If the Big 12 remains intact, I still think the Big 12 would be a better option.

Reaction Score
Let's aim for the B1G. We're stuck where we are for a while, anyway. If the Big 12 remains intact, I still think the Big 12 would be a better option.

All we need is to have a 10-1 "dream season" with a top 15 finish in the polls and the Big 10 will take notice. Promise them 1 November game at Yankee Stadium per year and the expansion of the Rent. We just need a top flight QB in order for this to happen.

Reaction Score
All we need is to have a 10-1 "dream season" with a top 15 finish in the polls and the Big 10 will take notice. Promise them 1 November game at Yankee Stadium per year and the expansion of the Rent. We just need a top flight QB in order for this to happen.
One thing about UConn that helps us on the offensive line is academics. They tend to be the most intelligent people on a football team. We've proven to attract and develop quality offensive linemen over the past several years. Now if we can get a consistent flow of top-flight QBs, we'll probably be made. Exhibit A: Dan Orlovsky.

Reaction Score
Man are you guys missing the point. UConn/Syracuse - even in down years. Are sellouts. Football and basketball. Syracuse has traded that for an annual game w/ Pitt (which means every other year they're playing in front of 1,500 people in Heinz field, and they're losing the 35k attendance to the UConn Cuse games in the dome to whatever BC can draw in round ball.

I really feel bad for Syracuse fans.

On the other hand, Syracuse fans will have a football lineup of Pitt, BC, Maryland, Florida State, Clemson, NC State and cross-over games on a rotating basis against Miami, Va Tech and Ga Tech.

Compare that schedule to Cinci, South Florida, UConn, Rutgers, and Louisville. Syracuse is going to draw an extra 5,000+ just based on the quality of opponent. And when Duke and North Carolina come to the Dome, well it won't be UConn, but I fully expect that we can build some rivalries there and draw just fine, thank you. Even the mid-tier ACC teams are better basketball draws than a large part of the Big East lineup.

Plus, Providence has been screwing Syracuse in the schedule for years and years, using us as a draw for other teams for Saturday games, while giving local fans teams like Providence or DePaul or South Florida for way too many home Saturday games.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I really don't see any qualitative difference between UH, SMU and BSU in with WVU, Pitt and Syracuse. And I don't perceive any great rivalry between Uconn and the latter three in football. It is a big loss in basketball, but it was never a rivalry in football. Connecticut fans will show up to football games against the first three the same as they would against the latter three. None of these programs are Michigan or USC. The loss is in basketball, not football. I couldn't care less about having West Virginia as a conference rival, never mind Syracuse or Pitt. Does anyone else?

This is why you don't get why SU and Pitt were invited over UConn (DeFillipo, notwithstanding). It's about BRANDS. It's not about the academic consortiums (though that is nice window dresssing ...), it's not even about geographic proximity anymore, at least at the highest level. It's about brand. And I'm sorry but Houston, SMU and Boise might be really good football teams, but they aren't going to create instant rivalries, they aren't going to sell tickets as well as you're hoping they do, and they don't really appeal to the "uncommitted" fan for his viewing time. They are not going to really create a competitive TV package, in the long run.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Syracuse fans will have a football lineup of Pitt, BC, Maryland, Florida State, Clemson, NC State and cross-over games on a rotating basis against Miami, Va Tech and Ga Tech.

Compare that schedule to Cinci, South Florida, UConn, Rutgers, and Louisville. Syracuse is going to draw an extra 5,000+ just based on the quality of opponent.
I've heard this before.... Where was it? Oh, BC, that was it. Heard all about the spike in attendance they'd get by playing the likes of the ACC. It sounded good and logical. Didn't end up being factual, but it sounded good.

Don't get it twisted, majority of us would trade places w/ SU or Pitt in a heart beat, and all of us (except for maybe 2 posters) want to get out of this 10 car pile up of a conference, but everything you just typed matches what BC fans typed before their move. They didn't get the spike in attendance or ratings they fantasizes about, only a fatter pay check from their conference. Which is nice.

Reaction Score
Syracuse football is in real jeapardy of becoming Indiana or Washington State or Vandy. The ACC was an opportune move for Syracuse and made available largely because the Orange were left at the alter after the first raid. But, Syracuse needs to develop players and win football games and it's going on the better part of a decade since they have done so. Orange fans that think this ACC move is a silver bullet need only look to Chestnut Hill to see what happens when programs are poorly run.....even in the ACC.

Reaction Score
This is why you don't get why SU and Pitt were invited over UConn (DeFillipo, notwithstanding). It's about BRANDS. It's not about the academic consortiums (though that is nice window dresssing ...), it's not even about geographic proximity anymore, at least at the highest level. It's about brand. And I'm sorry but Houston, SMU and Boise might be really good football teams, but they aren't going to create instant rivalries, they aren't going to sell tickets as well as you're hoping they do, and they don't really appeal to the "uncommitted" fan for his viewing time. They are not going to really create a competitive TV package, in the long run.
Cuse was invited because of the way you were left at the alter and BC likes having more private schools in the ACC mix. Pitt was an afterthought. Syracuse is a brand in basketball, but not in football. Your USC game drew the smallest crowd in the last decade to the Coliseum. Of course you guys do own the critical Buffalo market. First BC screws up the Big East, now they are doing a job on the ACC. No wonder Clemson and FSU are getting itchy.

Reaction Score

Compare that schedule to Cinci, South Florida, UConn, Rutgers, and Louisville. Syracuse is going to draw an extra 5,000+ just based on the quality of opponent. And when Duke and North Carolina come to the Dome, well it won't be UConn, but I fully expect that we can build some rivalries there and draw just fine, thank you. Even the mid-tier ACC teams are better basketball draws than a large part of the Big East lineup.

Plus, Providence has been screwing Syracuse in the schedule for years and years, using us as a draw for other teams for Saturday games, while giving local fans teams like Providence or DePaul or South Florida for way too many home Saturday games.

While I agree, that leadership in Providence has screwed football playing schools for years, I'm quite sure they're done doing that. Too bad Cuse is gone to have that happen. Would have loved to have the same kind of thing going in football that exists in basketball, and it was beginning.

Good luck getting up for your new conference football games. Not quite sure how you figure to play everybody at home every year though, and not quite sure how you expect to be helping any of them on the road with football attendance. As for basketball in the dome, same luck wishes....and same things I'm not quite sure about.

But lastly, enjoy playing your b-ball tournament in Greensboro, NC.

Reaction Score

I think you need to seriously re-evaluate what you're saying and match it up to facts and history and previous events on which to model. Syracuse is in big trouble. Pittsburgh, not as much, because they've got definite ties to ACC country through the Virginia's and Maryland.

Syracuse left the Big East for a guaranteed pay check. What Syracuse has traded for that guaranteed pay check, in my opinion, far outweighs what they've given up. THere's a very good chance, that come 2014, Big East football and basketball schools will be making broadcasting money on par with what the ACC will be able Syracuse. There's a good chance that Big East football and basketball schools will be making more. none of that is guaranteed though. Cuse is guaranteed to get the money that other ACC teams will get, for selling their entire souls to ESPN for the next quarter century.

It would not shock me in the least that whoever gets the new big east inventory contracts would push for exclusive rights to all tiers of broadcasting. It would not shock me in the least, that the big east refuses to farm out all broadcasting tiers of all inventory to a single company, and ends up with more broadcasting freedom and revenue growth potential for the future. I'm very happy with continuing the basketball postseason in New York City, and bringing a college football conference championship game back to NYC, in addition to the bowl game.

Seriously, the more time that passes, adn the more dust that settles, it's the ultimate irony that Boston College was instrumental in blocking the ACC from inviting Cuse and UConn. I believe that we would have gone with Cuse. I believe it would have damaged the integrity of the big east conference beyond repair and the conference would have folded operation as a football conference by 2014.

THe big east is going to be fine people. Just fine. It was the first major basketball conference in the country, and it is now the first major national football conference too.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
THere's a very good chance, that come 2014, Big East football and basketball schools will be making broadcasting money on par with what the ACC will be able Syracuse. There's a good chance that Big East football and basketball schools will be making more.

I will take you up on this bet that the ACC makes more. Any dollar amount. Name it, address, charity, pick it. Your choice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Syracuse Football - Where the Carrier Dome doesn't impress recruits anymore and the weather still sucks.

Best of luck in the ACC. Yes, I am envious and bitter about it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I've heard this before.... Where was it? Oh, BC, that was it. Heard all about the spike in attendance they'd get by playing the likes of the ACC. It sounded good and logical. Didn't end up being factual, but it sounded good.

Don't get it twisted, majority of us would trade places w/ SU or Pitt in a heart beat, and all of us (except for maybe 2 posters) want to get out of this 10 car pile up of a conference, but everything you just typed matches what BC fans typed before their move. They didn't get the spike in attendance or ratings they fantasizes about, only a fatter pay check from their conference. Which is nice.

The difference between Syracuse and BC was that we had actually been champions before. We have drawn 50,,000. We have beaten top 10 teams. We alone in our conference have the courage to schedule them, and we do, every year. You program will never have a victory like we had before over 100,000 at Michigan on national TV. You will never play and beat elite national programs, like we have done for 60 years. Sure, we've sucked for Greg Robinson's years, and Marrone has only shown himself to be a .500 coach so far. We'll see how much higher his ceiling might be.

Your program never appreciated that football is a sport of long tradition, kind of like baseball. Your quick success with the basketball programs made you think that football works the same way, but it doesn't. You have built very a successful football program so far, but you're still just a toddler of a program. Now, a Conference USA on steriods may work really well for where your football program is at. The money should be reasonably good.

But don't worry about SU losing money on this move to the ACC. We've got real fans, unlike BC. You've probably heard them at every other team's venue when we're on TV.

Reaction Score
Cuse was invited because of the way you were left at the alter and BC likes having more private schools in the ACC mix. Pitt was an afterthought. Syracuse is a brand in basketball, but not in football. Your USC game drew the smallest crowd in the last decade to the Coliseum. Of course you guys do own the critical Buffalo market. First BC screws up the Big East, now they are doing a job on the ACC. No wonder Clemson and FSU are getting itchy.

We played before over 100,000 at Michigan. We beat Florida, Miami, Va Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Colorado, Ohio State, Penn State. Will your team ever give you memories like that ? More to come, baby. Risk not, lest ye dream !

Reaction Score

Despite your belief to the contrary, when you are correct I am happy to acknowledge it. This is correct.

Reaction Score
We played before over 100,000 at Michigan. We beat Florida, Miami, Va Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Colorado, Ohio State, Penn State. Will your team ever give you memories like that ? More to come, baby. Risk not, lest ye dream !

Unbelievable. Are you saying Syracuse has more of a football history than UConn? Wow. What a brilliant conclusion.

But are you massively overstating the last decade? You do know, right, that in just a few years in I-A, we've played at the Big House in front of a bigger crowd than you, beaten Notre Dame in South Bend, beaten South Carolina in SEC country and won twice at Big XII venues? While you've done exactly what?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Syracuse football is an aging whore still trying to get by on her looks.

It hasn't been working that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET