ACC by Tues? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC by Tues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
will you stop posting stuff from this bc interruption?? its complete and utter nonsense.

The delusions there are incredible.

" If the league decides to keep the existing Atlantic / Coastal divisional alignment but replaces either Syracuse or Notre Dame for UConn as BC's primary hoops partner, I think that's a loss. No offense to the UConn folk, but Syracuse and Notre Dame seem like better permanent rivals than Connecticut"

Some of the comments are utterly idiotic.

Reaction Score
The delusions there are incredible.

" If the league decides to keep the existing Atlantic / Coastal divisional alignment but replaces either Syracuse or Notre Dame for UConn as BC's primary hoops partner, I think that's a loss. No offense to the UConn folk, but Syracuse and Notre Dame seem like better permanent rivals than Connecticut"

Some of the comments are utterly idiotic.
Well, he's right about one thing...if the ACC replaces those teams with UConn it likely will be a loss, or two, almost every year for BC...

Reaction Score
almost halfway though Tuesday and still no word. I'm beginning to sense that there is a possibility that something was posted to the internet that was false.

Reaction Score
Well, he's right about one thing...if the ACC replaces those teams with UConn it likely will be a loss, or two, almost every year for BC...

Do they forget the 10 years they went without beating us?

Reaction Score
almost halfway though Tuesday and still no word. I'm beginning to sense that there is a possibility that something was posted to the internet that was false.
Vrqz7.gif

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
David Teel@DavidTeelatDP
#ACC often quick to tout US News rankings of its schools: UConn 63, Cincinnati 139, Louisville 160.

Y'know that's the best thing I've read in days.

Reaction Score
I'm 46, been to MSG several times for the BET. But I've also lived outside the northeast, where 1. NY is hated and 2. few people think MSG is a big deal.

As for tailgaiting....merely attempting to drive into the city is itself not conducive to tailgaiting. NY is the worst city in America to attempt to drive into. There's a reason the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey.

I cant disagree more with you about MSG. I have been to every single home and away game UConn played (including tournaments they were in) from 2006-2011. So I have see every away venue. Pitts home court is by far the best facility I have been.

However, MSG far and away the most majestic and historic place to play. No matter where you sit even if it is in the 400 section you have a great view of the court. The site lines in MSG are better than any stadium I have been to with the exception of small arenas. It is in the center of basketball USA there is a special atmosphere and ambiance when going to MSG. I have been to the new Brooklyn Arena this year and although it is extremely nice it does not have the same feel of hollowed ground that MSG exudes. As someone already said MSG is in a massive renovation and in fact I believe there are plans to put seating above the court for a birds eye view. This will be the first arena to try such a thing, to my knowledge.

Fenway and Wrigley arent the best looking or newest ballparks but they are 2 of the top 5 ballparks in all of baseball.

As to the tailgating thing. Do you know how many bars there are around Yankee stadium? Or anywhere in NYC boroughs for that matter? I have tailgated Yankee games in parking garages, its not that fun but when you go bar hopping around the stadium (I am not a Yankee fan FYI) its just as fun as tailgating. And the reason the Jets and GIants play in NJ is because there is no where in NYC to put a football stadium and as you say traffic. That is part of living in the greatest city in the world with the most traffic in the world.

I will agree most outside of NY hate NY and its because they are jealous and envious. I was born, raised and still live in CT but have also spent short stints in DC, MS, AL, TN, FL and AZ. DC is the only place you can compare to NY and they dont really have any negative things to say about NY.

The other places are just jealous. They cant go to NYC whenever they want so they hate the people and the place as a way to put up a wall. Are NYers cocky, arrogant balloon knots... Maybe to an outsider but when you live in/near the greatest city in the world you take on that aura.

MSG is the mecca of basketball. Nowhere else can ever challenge

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Barclays is another place to give a shot. But I'd certainly prefer MSG.

No way. Place is brand new and all you see is empty seats for hoop. Can't drive there. And to get there by train, you have to go to Manhattan, then get on another train for over a half-hour.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But can someone explain this fascination with MSG? I don't get it. Outside of the NY metro area it is just an old, substandard arena with lousy sight-lines.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say lousy sight-lines. I've never sat in anything but the cheap seats when I've been there and I was amazed how good the view was.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
MSG can be electric in a way few other arenas can, if any.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you are talking about when you say lousy sight-lines. I've never sat in anything but the cheap seats when I've been there and I was amazed how good the view was.
I can say for hockey, the sightlines were bad in some spots because it sloped into the glass. For basketball, they were mostly excellent. I sat in the 400s for the Ray-Iverson BET championship and the view wasn't bad at all.

Reaction Score
I cant disagree more with you about MSG. I have been to every single home and away game UConn played (including tournaments they were in) from 2006-2011. So I have see every away venue. Pitts home court is by far the best facility I have been.

However, MSG far and away the most majestic and historic place to play. No matter where you sit even if it is in the 400 section you have a great view of the court. The site lines in MSG are better than any stadium I have been to with the exception of small arenas. It is in the center of basketball USA there is a special atmosphere and ambiance when going to MSG. I have been to the new Brooklyn Arena this year and although it is extremely nice it does not have the same feel of hollowed ground that MSG exudes. As someone already said MSG is in a massive renovation and in fact I believe there are plans to put seating above the court for a birds eye view. This will be the first arena to try such a thing, to my knowledge.

Fenway and Wrigley arent the best looking or newest ballparks but they are 2 of the top 5 ballparks in all of baseball.

As to the tailgating thing. Do you know how many bars there are around Yankee stadium? Or anywhere in NYC boroughs for that matter? I have tailgated Yankee games in parking garages, its not that fun but when you go bar hopping around the stadium (I am not a Yankee fan FYI) its just as fun as tailgating. And the reason the Jets and GIants play in NJ is because there is no where in NYC to put a football stadium and as you say traffic. That is part of living in the greatest city in the world with the most traffic in the world.

I will agree most outside of NY hate NY and its because they are jealous and envious. I was born, raised and still live in CT but have also spent short stints in DC, MS, AL, TN, FL and AZ. DC is the only place you can compare to NY and they dont really have any negative things to say about NY.

The other places are just jealous. They cant go to NYC whenever they want so they hate the people and the place as a way to put up a wall. Are NYers cocky, arrogant balloon knots... Maybe to an outsider but when you live in/near the greatest city in the world you take on that aura.

MSG is the mecca of basketball. Nowhere else can ever challenge
I agree with everything you said. I hate the Rangers and Knicks, and I don't think MSG is particularly attractive. I've sat everywhere from the last row, to the luxury boxes, to 5 rows from the ice and it's true that MSG is more than it's steel and concrete. A regular game there just feels different than games elsewhere. The real reason I'm commenting is your line re going to every home AND away game over a 5 year span. While you are a "new" member, I tend to believe you. Bravo!

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said. I hate the Rangers and Knicks, and I don't think MSG is particularly attractive. I've sat everywhere from the last row, to the luxury boxes, to 5 rows from the ice and it's true that MSG is more than it's steel and concrete. A regular game there just feels different than games elsewhere. The real reason I'm commenting is your line re going to every home AND away game over a 5 year span. While you are a "new" member, I tend to believe you. Bravo!

There is no other arena where the juice in the building is like the Garden. Never was and never will be. And if you don't believe that, then you weren't there when Louisville went to the line needing to hit three straight free throws to tie Kemba and UConn in March of 11.

Seriously, if anyone really believes there is nothing special about the Garden one wonders how they figure out how to log on to their computers.

Reaction Score
I have to say I've never really bought the Mecca thing either. I tend to think it is the Big East Tournament that creates the buzz more than MSG. When you have 4 games all of which come down to the final seconds you could play them on a playground in flushing and there would be a buzz. I've actually been to an ACC tournament in Greenville in pre-expansion days and I have to say the buzz there was pretty incredible too when Duke and NC played each other particularly. If you are an eastern player, particularly from the Northeast, though I agree that the Garden is special. If you're from say Brentwood Arizona, probably not so much.

Reaction Score
There aren't more than 2 or 3 Big Ten teams who could easily handle Kent State at home this year? Really?

Rutgers is a good, solid team this year -- at worst this is there second best team ever -- but they would not be competing for the Big Ten title, even at their peak and with the Big Ten down. And they are not going to be beating any of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin with any frequency at all. They would be in the middle group with Iowa, Mich State, Purdue, fighting for above .500 finishes in a good year, and bottom half of the league in a bad year.

I am not knocking Rutgers -- I would expect us to do roughly the same under a decent coach, maybe a tad worse. But if you really think RU would be competitive in the Big Ten -- well, now I hope they beat Louisville so we can see how they do against Florida State in the Orange.
Looking at past performance I tend to agree that Rutgers has done squat in a less competitive league.
However, there is the possibility that with the new affiliation, NJ kids will stay home. NJ is a hotbed for recruiting, especially in the northeast. Going to get a lot tougher for likes of Uconn, BC, MD, PSU, Pitt, and Syr to recruit from NJ.
That could change the balance of Rutgers football.

Reaction Score
Looking at past performance I tend to agree that Rutgers has done squat in a less competitive league.
However, there is the possibility that with the new affiliation, NJ kids will stay home. NJ is a hotbed for recruiting, especially in the northeast. Going to get a lot tougher for likes of Uconn, BC, MD, PSU, Pitt, and Syr to recruit from NJ.
That could change the balance of Rutgers football.

They would have to start winning to really change the balance on NJ recruiting. Just being mediocre in a different conference isn't going to get it done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I guess it depends on whether you prefer to be closer but high, or far, far away and low.

Reaction Score
They would have to start winning to really change the balance on NJ recruiting. Just being mediocre in a different conference isn't going to get it done.
I think you're right in the long run... They will get a bump for a year or two because kids will be excited to stay home and play in the Big10... At some point, that goodwill goes away if they become the Northwestern of the east.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have to say I've never really bought the Mecca thing either. I tend to think it is the Big East Tournament that creates the buzz more than MSG. When you have 4 games all of which come down to the final seconds you could play them on a playground in flushing and there would be a buzz. I've actually been to an ACC tournament in Greenville in pre-expansion days and I have to say the buzz there was pretty incredible too when Duke and NC played each other particularly. If you are an eastern player, particularly from the Northeast, though I agree that the Garden is special. If you're from say Brentwood Arizona, probably not so much.

Yes, this is my point really. We look at the BET games, which have produced amazing excitement, and think of it all happening in MSG. But I don't think those outside of the area feel that way. I appreciate the other history of the place as well, Muhammed Ali, etc., but don't expect folks in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia to feel the same way about place as Big East fans do. Hell Duke has amazing history at Brendan Byrne arena (or whatever they call it now). College basketball is special, but I don't think MSG has any particular exclusivity on that. Allen Field House is still the best place I've been to see a game, including MSG.

Reaction Score

It was a great period of time to be able to go to all those games. The only reason I was able to do that is because I didnt have to pay for tickets. I was lucky and have lots of great memories.

I still go to every home game just dont have the time for going to away games as often.

Reaction Score

NYC has the most basketball courts per square ft of anywhere in the world. They probably also have the most people per capita that play basketball. NYC is a basketball city through and through. In fact Knicks tickets are more expensive than any other NY pro sports team (including Giants and Yankees) when they are one of the top teams. Knicks tickets become the hardest ticket to get when the knicks are good but most dont remember this because the Knicks have been awful for so many years.

NYC is the Mecca of basketball and MSG is their Colosseum.

I know from playing AAU ball back in the day that players all over view playing at MSG as special. Only problem is there are so many tournaments and events that a lot of top AAU programs and players end up playing at MSG or in NYC at some point in time so it has kind of lost its lust.

Reaction Score
all of that may be true,meth, but I've also been to the 8-9 game in the pre-expansion Big East at MSG on a Wednesday afternoon afternoon or whenever it was. About 3500 people all fans of the two schools and it was barely possible to gin up any excitement. Great exciting games make the tournament, not the arena. Look, I get that New York is exciting. And that adds a dimension to the "ambiance" of the event. But bottom line is the games themselves.

Reaction Score
Anytime Duke plays at MSG (they do about 1 time a year) the arena is packed and electric.

The coaches vs. cancer tournament always brings a good crowd with excitement.

I like how you used a wednesday afternoon game as your proof MSG isnt that great. I think that right there proves the point. You had to settle on a wednesday afternoon game (probably a game with lesser schools playing) to prove your point that MSG is not all that exciting.

Also every conference tourney struggles with attendance during the early rounds and early games. People work during those hours and the first rounds of the conference tourney aren't really the rounds people care all that much about.

And it is the games that bring the excitement, not the arena... But ask yourself this is watching DUKE/UConn play in the Staples center better and more exciting compared to the game being played in MSG...

Do you remember when St Johns was good and the atmosphere in the Garden when they would play there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom