ACC by Tues? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC by Tues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wilner has the best track record of any reporter on expansion. He called BS on Texahoma's magical mystery tour looking for a new conference home, saying no one would put up with their BS, and then broke the Pac 12 basically reaching the same conclusion and only taking Colorado. He pegged Utah way before anyone else, and had a good pulse into the Big 12 exodus.

This is a tremendous confirmation.
We will really know it's confirmed when an ESPN reporter tweets the same info and the network credits ESPN, with no mention of Wilner.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We will really know it's confirmed when an ESPN reporter tweets the same info and the network credits ESPN, with no mention of Wilner.

Rick Reilly will get the credit.

Reaction Score
The ACC should take both Ville and UConn to get to 16 for FB. ND is just dating in FB with the 5 game plan so let them fill in the gaps in the schedule. Unless someone thinks they'll go all in someday.

Reaction Score
Is it true that if Pitino said that every tooth in Louisville watches college sports on TV that the number of viewers may acutally be lower?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It also unites the entire New England and NY area for the ACC. BC was always the outliers. Syracuse might have helped but adding UConn links BC to the rest of the conference. BC would have a like minded fanbase in New England and a natural rival.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. New England and upstate NY become clearly ACC country. Nobody else even has a claim. NY metro is divided up. Remember, ND is extremely strong in NY, so adding UConn to Cuse helps bolter our claim. There are five relevant programs in NY: RU, ND, Uconn, Cuse and PSU.

Reaction Score
Wait until the ACC outbids the NNNNNNBE for the ACC Tourney at MSG!

Reaction Score
Wait until the ACC outbids the NNNNNNBE for the ACC Tourney at MSG!

The ACC would presumably be o.k. playing the event in MSG on a rotation, but I don't ever see it being willing to go to the Garden every year. which means it won't be able to outbid an east coast conference that does want to use the garden every year.

Reaction Score
well, for him to be right, assuming that the commentary from last night that the ACC ahd not called UConn means that after the announcement from MD, the ACC called Herbst and Manuel, they will be able to call a BoT meeting and get the votes all by tomorrow. I guess its possible...UConnMoney would know :)
The BoT may have already given a verbal go ahead.

Reaction Score
I would have thought the same but nowadays, who knows? Does this make it easier for full strength Mich/OSU/Neb/PSU teams to go 12-0 or 11-1? Beating up on 6-8 bad teams under a brand conference name umbrella seems to work for the SEC.

All the while growing Big Ten FB in two densely populated areas funded by increased TV fees. Sounds like a sound long term plan. The only negative is that the programs in question are historically horrible.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Here's what I don't get. The ACC is always looked at as the weak link among the Power Conferences. But wouldn't an ACC network running up and down the East Coast and hitting some of the most populous states in the nation (Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) be arguably the best geographic footprint of any conference? Sure, people will still need to want to watch these schools play. And the ACC does not necessarily have the raw passion that other conferences have (like the Big 10 or SEC). But they're not littered with nobodies either. Since most of the conference network content is already second and third tier (much of the best stuff remains on the biggest channels like ESPN and the Networks), the strength of basketball should be more important.

Of course, an ACC network would be at least ten plus years away since their current rights deal remains in place. But if one is real forward looking, couldn't the ACC look way better than say the Big 12 (limited to not much more than Texas and some smaller states)? And if this is really all about the markets and how other conferences want in on the ACC's markets (like NC and Virginia for the SEC or Big 10 or Florida and Georgia/SC for the Big 12), why not just stand pat and wait it out?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the ACC blew it when they decided not to pursue their own network.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here's what I don't get. The ACC is always looked at as the weak link among the Power Conferences. But wouldn't an ACC network running up and down the East Coast and hitting some of the most populous states in the nation (Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) be arguably the best geographic footprint of any conference? Sure, people will still need to want to watch these schools play. And the ACC does not necessarily have the raw passion that other conferences have (like the Big 10 or SEC). But they're not littered with nobodies either. Since most of the conference network content is already second and third tier (much of the best stuff remains on the biggest channels like ESPN and the Networks), the strength of basketball should be more important.

Of course, an ACC network would be at least ten plus years away since their current rights deal remains in place. But if one is real forward looking, couldn't the ACC look way better than say the Big 12 (limited to not much more than Texas and some smaller states)? And if this is really all about the markets and how other conferences want in on the ACC's markets (like NC and Virginia for the SEC or Big 10 or Florida and Georgia/SC for the Big 12), why not just stand pat and wait it out?

They are in better shape than the Big 12 to anyone looking past this year. More people, growing states like NC, SC, VA and GA. They have geographic cohesion, and mindshare in their region (albeit mostly around basketball). All it takes is for one of two programs to return to prior success (BC, Miami) and it's a damned good football league.

The Big 12 is losing its identity. With Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado defecting, the footprint shrinks dramatically. WVU was possibly a mistake for them. I still think the smart move for them long term is to change the name back to the Southwest conference, and go after Nevada, New Mexico, BYU and one of Colorado State/Utah State/UNLV/.

Reaction Score
I still think the smart move for them long term is to change the name back to the Southwest conference, and go after Nevada, New Mexico, BYU and one of Colorado State/Utah State/UNLV/.
Don't forget Boise State. If they can take in WVU, they can take in Boise State.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Don't forget Boise State. If they can take in WVU, they can take in Boise State.

Hardly. Boise State would be a bad community college if it were a community college. The other sports are horrible. Not even Big Sky worthy, let along any other league. Boise's best days are already behind them.

Reaction Score
They are in better shape than the Big 12 to anyone looking past this year. More people, growing states like NC, SC, VA and GA. They have geographic cohesion, and mindshare in their region (albeit mostly around basketball). All it takes is for one of two programs to return to prior success (BC, Miami) and it's a damned good football league.

The Big 12 is losing its identity. With Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado defecting, the footprint shrinks dramatically. WVU was possibly a mistake for them. I still think the smart move for them long term is to change the name back to the Southwest conference, and go after Nevada, New Mexico, BYU and one of Colorado State/Utah State/UNLV/.

I would agree with you on the Big 12. Louisville would be a solid add, but there's untapped potential in the Southwest. There are actual bona fide state schools not in a big conference, some them even the biggest schools in the state. New Mexico, Nevada/UNLV, and Colorado St are perfect examples. Hell, even San Deigo State offers a fair amoount. Population wise, these states (not counting California) are not that far off from Kansas or Iowa and are actually bigger than Nebraska or West Virginia. You get a New Mexico into the Big 12 and give them 15 years, maybe they pull a Baylor. Plus the area's growing. That's a lot to like.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I would agree with you on the Big 12. Louisville would be a solid add, but there's untapped potential in the Southwest. There are actual bona fide state schools not in a big conference, some them even the biggest schools in the state. New Mexico, Nevada/UNLV, and Colorado St are perfect examples. Hell, even San Deigo State offers a fair amoount. Population wise, these states (not counting California) are not that far off from Kansas or Iowa and are actually bigger than Nebraska or West Virginia. You get a New Mexico into the Big 12 and give them 15 years, maybe they pull a Baylor. Plus the area's growing. That's a lot to like.

There's quite a bit to be said about Mexican Americans and their sports preferences. ESPN and Univision Sports are usually Soccer and Baseball and more culturally accepted sports. American Football is stuggling with that audence well behind baseball, basketball and Soccer or even UFC and other MMA. It's possible a day comes when Football is no longer the dominant US sport.

Reaction Score
I'm told Big 12, Pac-12 will stay put at current numbers, but UConn(slight edge) and Louisville in play for ACC to replace Maryland.
From Kirk Bohls, Austin Statesmen on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom