ACC by Tues? | The Boneyard

ACC by Tues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the guy is followed by legit people, so he is probably legit source

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've been praying we get the invite before Saturday's UConn-Louisville game. Pasqualoni will probably go out there and give FSU/Clemson/Miami/VA Tech all the proof they need to demand Louisville be invited.

Reaction Score
Seems to be a college sports writer for the San Jose newspaper, primarily a Pac 12 guy. Who knows how connected he is to east coast stuff, but he doesn't seem to be a random blogger or radio talking head.

Reaction Score
This guy is getting retweeted like crazy right now, even by one or two other semi-legitimate people, so he's not 100% off the charts.

Reaction Score
well, for him to be right, assuming that the commentary from last night that the ACC ahd not called UConn means that after the announcement from MD, the ACC called Herbst and Manuel, they will be able to call a BoT meeting and get the votes all by tomorrow. I guess its possible...UConnMoney would know :)

Reaction Score
Anyone who is a reporter for a large city paper has some credibility. Doesn't mean he's right, but it means that he got it from a source he believes in. And not that a friend told him someone said it on the radio.

Reaction Score
If the ACC had called UConn prior to last night, UConn would have said exactly what they said.

Reaction Score
Hope to Lord this is more legit than that post over weekend on Miam radio B1G rumor.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/270586389551280128

@wilnerhotline: Realignment source: UConn to ACC could happen as soon as Tuesday.

"Our best wishes are extended to all of the people associated with the University of Maryland. Since our inception, they have been an outstanding member of our conference and we are sorry to see them exit," ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. "For the past 60 years the Atlantic Coast Conference has exhibited leadership in academics and athletics. This is our foundation and we look forward to building on it as we move forward."

They seem pretty relaxed over in ACC country. Probably because they already have their replacement lined up. UConn increases the basketball brand and the football needle remains in the same place. I don't know enough about Maryland to speak to academics but if we're not ranked higher I'm sure we're comparable.

FSU will probably be pissed but they were already pissed.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why the B1G would make this move. I just don't see the fan base in Maryland or Rutgers when compared to the likes of Michigan, Ohio St. Penn St. etc.. I could see ND or Texas. The only thing that makes some sense is a long term view of the DC and NYC TV markets.

Looks like the conference moves will keep coming, UConn to the ACC, Louisville & Cincinnati to the Big 12 and the Big East calling on the "next man up" to fill in the ranks; the ripples flowing down to the various smaller conferences.

The only possible block to the ACC is the lingering animosity with BC. How many allies does BC have when this comes up for a vote? Does Syracuse and Pitt have a say?

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why the B1G would make this move. I just don't see the fan base in Maryland or Rutgers when compared to the likes of Michigan, Ohio St. Penn St. etc.. I could see ND or Texas. The only thing that makes some sense is a long term view of the DC and NYC TV markets.

Looks like the conference moves will keep coming, UConn to the ACC, Louisville & Cincinnati to the Big 12 and the Big East calling on the "next man up" to fill in the ranks; the ripples flowing down to the various smaller conferences.

The only possible block to the ACC is the lingering animosity with BC. How many allies does BC have when this comes up for a vote? Does Syracuse and Pitt have a say?

DF -- it's amazing. For the second time in a few years (the Pac Ten was the other), a conference has said we will expand in a manner that absolutely dilutes our quality of play to achieve greater revenues. But the Big Ten had enough revenues it didn't have to do that.

Will the strategy work? No idea. But the Big Ten is taking a big step back from where the SEC and Big XII are on the field to reach for more money. And it could easily backfire.

Replacing Maryland with UConn, however, effects very little change in the ACC over all.

Reaction Score

Who knows on the BC part, but I imagine (potentially wrongly) that DiFillipo made them look a little foolish, and they probably don't like that he shot his mouth off like that.

BC may vote against UConn, but they aren't going to concede to BC again. Likely, if UConn doesn't get in, it will be from BC, FSU, Miami, and maybe Clemson convincing some others. If Syracuse, Pitt, and ND can vote, I hope they are pro-UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DF -- it's amazing. For the second time in a few years (the Pac Ten was the other), a conference has said we will expand in a manner that absolutely dilutes our quality of play to achieve greater revenues. But the Big Ten had enough revenues it didn't have to do that.

Will the strategy work? No idea. But the Big Ten is taking a big step back from where the SEC and Big XII are on the field to reach for more money. And it could easily backfire.

Replacing Maryland with UConn, however, effects very little change in the ACC over all.

The Big 10 is postioning itself to stay in the lead in the big time college football arms race. $$$=power.

Reaction Score
Who knows on the BC part, but I imagine (potentially wrongly) that DiFillipo made them look a little foolish, and they probably don't like that he shot his mouth off like that.

BC may vote against UConn, but they aren't going to concede to BC again. Likely, if UConn doesn't get in, it will be from BC, FSU, Miami, and maybe Clemson convincing some others. If Syracuse, Pitt, and ND can vote, I hope they are pro-UConn.
The ACC will not offer any team unless they are assured they have sufficient votes from the conference members. So if the tweet is correct, Uconn will be admitted to the ACC.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is postioning itself to stay in the lead in the big time college football arms race. $$$=power.

Well, I know that is what they are thinking. But product on the field matters. I would argue that the last decade they have slipped mightily in real power because the nation views their product on the field as being inferior. And increasing their payouts based on this doesn't change the fact that the league is now overall less competitive than it was last week.

Reaction Score
luckily, these decisions are made by presidents and boards of trustees, not football coaches. to think that louisville is in the same ballpark as uconn for the acc is utter insanity. excluding their fanbase who must think that wins vs unc, kentucky, and cincinnati elevate their program to elitism, no one with a sensible mind would argue that they are a better fit.

Reaction Score

You're right. The ACC would not want to piss off one of their athletic giants, BC, and possibly jeopordize the Boston DMA. BC has been knocking it out of the park in ACC football and basketball the past couple of years, so they would want to keep them happy at all costs. BC must have a lot of allies - everyone in the ACC who wants a guaranteed win in both sports every year is patting them on the back for a job well done. The job of doormat, that is!! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom