ACC, Big Ten...you've chosen poorly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC, Big Ten...you've chosen poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a golden opportunity to consolidate the northeast and build awareness of college football by keeping UCONN, BC, Rutgers and Syracuse together. Yes, that's not a murderer's row of football powerhouses, but it's one hell of a market that you cover......and UCONN and Syracuse play a little hoops.

Now there this market is splintered and local play is hap hazard at best. Small people like DeFelippo are largely to blame for this mess. Sure, BC and Rutgers can feel good about the checks, but in terms of fan experience it's a disaster. And yes, football drives the duck*ing bus, but when you're getting men's basketball crowds in the hundreds........holy crap is it broken. Football will follow if there is not success and with BC you have a fan base that at its best is fickle.

This little gem is just priceless:
"Although there is still more than a month remaining in the basketball regular season, BC and Rutgers are on course to finish with a combined record of 1-49 in football and basketball."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I simply don't get the choices. They are strategic blunders of epic purportiona.

Swofford is a Fool. He thought BC from the Flutie & SU\Pitt Brand carries you going forward. They guarantee nothing. RUTGERS is the complete Mess we always knew. They won't change.

Addition should be the CAPACITY to build a Brand Bigtime competitive Program for the Longterm. For the eyebaalls. Only Jurich has impressed me.

UConn - MBB & WBB & Soccer & Baseball & Ice Hockey - are major builds. I think you should see FB with Edsall & Diaco as something we can do.

Day looper - could care less about you grabbing NJ kids & that should be - .009% consideration in this.
Swofford was out to destroy the Big East's credibility, so he grabbed Miami and was going to grab Syracuse. Then he went back for the kill, taking Syracuse Pitt and for extra giggles Notre Dame. The first time was for football, the second time was for football and basketball. Louisville was the cherry on top.

Reaction Score
You gotta wonder if even the TV money Rutgers is going to get eventually will put them in the black.

When you are drawing < 1000 people per night in hoops and around 30K per game in football you're certainly not making any money at the gate.

Combine that with the fact that they don't win at all so have NCAA money coming in anytime soon and I can't imagine how they can stay in the black.

Just last year alone it was reported RU's Athletic Department lost $36 Million in their final year in the Big East/American in 2013-14: http://www.dailytargum.com/article/...s-loses-more-than-36-million-last-fiscal-year

I mean this is really bad.

I think you are confusing UCONN's football attendance with Rutgers. Why bring up attendance when UCONN isn't even out of the 20's?

Sorry, not going to work if you're pointing out football attendance, where RU was 9th out of 14 in the Big Ten.

2015 Season
Rutgers attendance - 47,723
UCONN attendance - 28,224

Also, Rutgers basketball averaged 5,770 last year, in the last full year stats were available.....a few more than 1,000 but I know none of this sports your anti-Rutgers narrative.

Reaction Score
Business.....conferences will continue to run their business like a company with a large market share. Monopolize the market while strangling the competition.

The movement to P5 was in this vein.

Now the question is, at this point, if a P5 conference can be strangled. It is not all about money either...

It will play out in 10 years.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I think you are confusing UCONN's football attendance with Rutgers. Why bring up attendance when UCONN isn't even out of the 20's?

Sorry, not going to work if you're pointing out football attendance, where RU was 9th out of 14 in the Big Ten.

2015 Season

Also, Rutgers basketball averaged 5,770 last year, in the last full year stats were available.....a few more than 1,000 but I know none of this sports your anti-Rutgers narrative.
What would Rutgers' attendance would look like if your home slate was filled with the likes of Tulane, SMU, etc? Probably somewhere around 30k.

Maybe Ash will be successful but if he's not, let's see what happens to High Point attendance after Illinois, Indiana, Purdue have come through a few times.

Reaction Score
I simply don't get the choices. They are strategic blunders of epic purportiona.

Swofford is a Fool. He thought BC from the Flutie & SU\Pitt Brand carries you going forward. They guarantee nothing. RUTGERS is the complete Mess we always knew. They won't change.

Addition should be the CAPACITY to build a Brand Bigtime competitive Program for the Longterm. For the eyebaalls. Only Jurich has impressed me.

UConn - MBB & WBB & Soccer & Baseball & Ice Hockey - are major builds. I think you should see FB with Edsall & Diaco as something we can do.

Day looper - could care less about you grabbing NJ kids & that should be - .009% consideration in this.

I think Rutgers has the potential to become something. If nothing else their addition helps the B1G with recruiting and eyeballs. The program is a mess, but Rutgers still offers something.

BC on the other hand offers nothing. They used to be relevant back when they were in the Big East. Now, nobody cares about BC.
BC isn't just on an island, it's on an uninhabited island.

Reaction Score

2015 Season

Hey A s s h a t...welcome back...before you even type the word attendance in a thread on our board you should make sure you take a remedial math class. Why...you can't even read numbers properly you :
I seem to remember you denying RU EVER had a game where attendance was 500...you were wrong..it was SUB-500 for 2 games!
Attendance is in bold!
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Rutgers_Scarlet_Knights_men's_basketball_team)

11/25/2013*
7:30 pm Stillman College
NIT Season Tip-Off Consolation Round W 116–89 4–3
The RAC (392)
Piscataway, NJ
11/26/2013*
7:30 pm Fairleigh Dickinson
NIT Season Tip-Off Consolation Round L 72–73 4–4
The RAC (466)
Piscataway, NJ

You also stated RU has a stand alone football facility...you conveniently forgot the word INDOOR...why because RU doesn't have one!
Here is the link to UConn's in case you want to know what one looks like you tool:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/school-bio/strength-conditioning-shenkman.html
I suggest at some point you answer this..or stop posting on our board!

Reaction Score
What would Rutgers' attendance would look like if your home slate was filled with the likes of Tulane, SMU, etc? Probably somewhere around 30k.

Maybe Ash will be successful but if he's not, let's see what happens to High Point attendance after Illinois, Indiana, Purdue have come through a few times.
Jungle don't waste your energy responding to this ....he comes here and runs his mouth yet when called on his Bulls**t he ignores it. He's a class A turd who needs to be put on the banned list by @Pudge.

Reaction Score
I'm OCD about not all-capping UConn.
I am the opposite. It is UCONN.
Back in the day it was always UConn. Then they started saying Connecticut and I got used to it. I actually prefer Connecticut. But now the brand is UCONN, so be it.

Reaction Score
Business.....conferences will continue to run their business like a company with a large market share. Monopolize the market while strangling the competition.

The movement to P5 was in this vein.

Now the question is, at this point, if a P5 conference can be strangled. It is not all about money either...

It will play out in 10 years.
Most on this board get that it is about markets, but what market did the ACC monopolize? Not NYC, that is for sure. And they lost Baltimore/DC in the process. It was right there for the ACC to be THE conference. As Pudge mentioned, had they grabbed RU and UConn along with Cuse they would have owned NYC as much as any conference could have. Instead, their NY team is 250 miles away from NYC (to put it in perspective, BC is closer to NYC than Syracuse is), they allowed the B1G to drop their anchor in the shadows of the Empire State building too. The decisions the ACC made are the type that eventually end up putting businesses out of business.

Reaction Score
Most on this board get that it is about markets, but what market did the ACC monopolize? Not NYC, that is for sure. And they lost Baltimore/DC in the process. It was right there for the ACC to be THE conference. As Pudge mentioned, had they grabbed RU and UConn along with Cuse they would have owned NYC as much as any conference could have. Instead, their NY team is 250 miles away from NYC (to put it in perspective, BC is closer to NYC than Syracuse is), they allowed the B1G to drop their anchor in the shadows of the Empire State building too. The decisions the ACC made are the type that eventually end up putting businesses out of business.
Add in the deal they have with ND and they would have owned NYC. And had every major tv market on the east coast covered....

Reaction Score
Hey A s s h a t...welcome back...before you even type the word attendance in a thread on our board you should make sure you take a remedial math class. Why...you can't even read numbers properly you :
I seem to remember you denying RU EVER had a game where attendance was 500...you were wrong..it was SUB-500 for 2 games!
Attendance is in bold!
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Rutgers_Scarlet_Knights_men's_basketball_team)

11/25/2013*
The RAC (392)
Piscataway, NJ
11/26/2013*
The RAC (466)
Piscataway, NJ

You also stated RU has a stand alone football facility...you conveniently forgot the word INDOOR...why because RU doesn't have one!
Here is the link to UConn's in case you want to know what one looks like you tool:

If mainlinedave went to Rutgers, it would seem that Rutgers chose poorly.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I am the opposite. It is UCONN.
Back in the day it was always UConn. Then they started saying Connecticut and I got used to it. I actually prefer Connecticut. But now the brand is UCONN, so be it.
The all caps is for the wordmark logo, like what is on the jerseys. When people, mainly newspaper reporters and bloggers (sports, academics, research, culture...), are writing in print or online they're supposed to use UConn.

That may not apply to the boneyard but as an alum I'm just trying to do what Susan wants to be consistent.

Reaction Score
I get the shots at BC, but not RU. Taking RU and UMd was a nice move by the BIG to cut a line thru the ACC, certainly better than Swofford taking Ky Comm College from the B12. Besides, all the arguing about RU to the BIG makes zero sense when we need them to lead the BIG to us.

Reaction Score

The ACC is present and gets viewership in many nationwide markets...for instance, FSU is in tiny Tallahassee DMA...yet is watched enough to be the 2nd most watched team in 2014 (Bama #1). NC State brought more viewers than Penn state or Wisconsin (2014)

Who makes a living on New York college football viewing? Rutgers? (#54) Cuse? (#51)..

Reaction Score
The all caps is for the wordmark logo, like what is on the jerseys. When people, mainly newspaper reporters and bloggers (sports, academics, research, culture...), are writing in print or online they're supposed to use UConn.

That may not apply to the boneyard but as an alum I'm just trying to do what Susan wants to be consistent.
INTERESTING. I think I need to change my habit.

Reaction Score
Attendance is in bold!

11/25/2013*
The RAC (392)
Piscataway, NJ
11/26/2013*
The RAC (466)
Piscataway, NJ

Actually, you were the one that forgot "Indoor" you toolbag....not me. And the Bubble is Indoor last time I checked, Einstein.
And regarding attendance, our football team averages 48 thousand to your 28 thousand.

28 thousand is pathetic. PATHETIC. The Big ten laughs at that. RU gets nearly that much for our Spring game lol.

Thats what you AVERAGE. So weak, and you think the Big Ten would be serious about you?

Reaction Score

I think that Maryland would have left the ACC and Rutgers was always going to join the Big Ten no matter what Swofford did.

Reaction Score
Actually, you were the one that forgot "Indoor" you toolbag....not me. And the Bubble is Indoor last time I checked, Einstein.
And regarding attendance, our football team averages 48 thousand to your 28 thousand.

28 thousand is pathetic. PATHETIC. The Big ten laughs at that. RU gets nearly that much for our Spring game lol.

Thats what you AVERAGE. So weak, and you think the Big Ten would be serious about you?
Just to refresh your memory I'll put uno my original post and your response...enough said:

When I think of Rutgers..I think of a D-1 athletic program that had 500 people at a men's basketball game...I think of a D-1 men's and women's basketball programs that play in a facility that wouldn't even qualify in the top 1/3 hs facilities in the state of NJ....I think of a D-1 athletic program that doesn't even have a stand alone indoor football practice facility....when I think of RU I think of Julie Herman, Mike Rice and a complete and utter embarrassment the athletic program is to the alumni of the school. Still want to talk now you a s s h a t ?

We do have a stand alone football practice facility, so that is wrong. The RAC not ranking in the top 1/3 of hs facilities is also obviously wrong.

The 500 people figure at the basketball game was proven false many times.but not surprised you wouldn't be smart enough to know that, based on the rest of the false statements you made.

An really, is there much difference than UCONN having like 4000 fans at one of your football games two years ago?

A bubble doesn't count..it isn't a year around indoor football facility!
And as for your claim on hoops attendance...well yeah time for remedial basic number reading there sport! Official attendance doesn't lie:

11/25/2013*
The RAC (392)
Piscataway, NJ
11/26/2013*
The RAC (466)
Piscataway, NJ

Who's the tool now ..A s s h a t!

Reaction Score

Well you told us! But why is the Ol High and Mighty subjugating himself to the ol so lowly. You shame yourself by mingling with us peasants. Take yourself back to that powerful board Rutro. Your subjects there are waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom