Abu on campus today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Abu on campus today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NC State fans seem pretty confident about their chances, I just can't see it happening for them. I understand kids from the South ready to join that graveyard of highly regarded prospects that went nowhere under Gottfried, but a kid from the NE? Plus their comments about his AAU coach wanting to steer him to NC State made no sense, why would he do that when he's tight with Cooley.

Reaction Score
Abu said something similar on 8/11 about UConn:

"Coach Ollie is a really down to earth dude," Abu said. "He is really passionate about what he is about. He is really trying to change the culture at UConn and start his traditions, and be even more of a winning tradition than before. Coach Ollie is going to do big things regardless of whether he gets me or not."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Abu is a confident dude. Every school he talks about is like, "whether or not they get me" or "with or without me." He said similar things about PC and Florida too.

Can't tell whether he's pompous or just confident. Either way we haven't had a confident/aggressive big-man since Jeff Adrien. If Abu could be a better version of Adrien he'd be an absolute beast.

Reaction Score
Abu is a confident dude. Every school he talks about is like, "whether or not they get me" or "with or without me." He said similar things about PC and Florida too.

Can't tell whether he's pompous or just confident. Either way we haven't had a confident/aggressive big-man since Jeff Adrien. If Abu could be a better version of Adrien he'd be an absolute beast.

If he could be JUST LIKE Adrien, we'd be veryy happy.

Reaction Score
I have to be honest, a lot about that article turned me off.

It's one thing if he really doesn't know where he wants to go (which might be 100% true), but if he knows where he's going and is not saying so he "doesn't give schools the message it's all said and done", he's really just screwing with those other 3 schools recruiting resources in a big way.

Reaction Score
Abu said something similar on 8/11 about UConn:

"Coach Ollie is a really down to earth dude," Abu said. "He is really passionate about what he is about. He is really trying to change the culture at UConn and start his traditions, and be even more of a winning tradition than before. Coach Ollie is going to do big things regardless of whether he gets me or not."

Oh well, there goes that. Usually when you hear comments like that, the guy has moved on.

Reaction Score

It's one thing if he really doesn't know where he wants to go (which might be 100% true), but if he knows where he's going and is not saying so he "doesn't give schools the message it's all said and done", he's really just screwing with those other 3 schools recruiting resources in a big way.

How is he screwing with them? We're talking about a 2 week window here. If they don't like it, they can move on now.

Reaction Score

How is he screwing with them? We're talking about a 2 week window here. If they don't like it, they can move on now.
Plus, he is taking unofficials, so he is paying for all the visits himself.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"I just want to find the best system for me as a versatile four that can bring a lot to the table,"

I think this bodes well for us. Ollie is definitely developing a 4 out 1 in system with NBA length. You can see it with the types of guys we are recruiting. I don't know if the systems at the remaining other schools are comparable, but this sounds like Abu's first criteria and one we are an "order qualifier" for.

caw

Reaction Score
I think he is honestly still weighing everything. Does anything in those quotes not sound like a young man who knows what he wants but isn't quite sure which system actually fits what he wants the best. He sounds like a kid who is still weighing options.

If there is a school out of it it would be Florida, but that's only a guess based on his visit.

Reaction Score
I think this bodes well for us. Ollie is definitely developing a 4 out 1 in system with NBA length. You can see it with the types of guys we are recruiting. I don't know if the systems at the remaining other schools are comparable, but this sounds like Abu's first criteria and one we are an "order qualifier" for.

I'm mostly afraid of Florida.

Reaction Score
I've read that the Florida visit did not go so well, so they may have some ground to make up.

Reaction Score

PEEGS isn't a NCState guy. He has been the prime internet guy for Indiana University ... for forever. I am not sure why he writes "with a NC State slant"; but, he might pick up extra money around other sites for articles like these after visits.

Reaction Score
I've read that the Florida visit did not go so well, so they may have some ground to make up.
Can you provide us with any more info regarding the source, his credibility and what didn't go well? I'm still shocked that we haven't heard one word about yesterday! It's like all writers and players were given a gag order. I'm sure the kid is being very private but someone has to have some feedback. I tweeted our players last night, nobody will say a word. Hopefully Zagoria or Meyer or someone gives us something soon.

Reaction Score
PEEGS isn't a NCState guy. He has been the prime internet guy for Indiana University ... for forever. I am not sure why he writes "with a NC State slant"; but, he might pick up extra money around other sites for articles like these after visits.
There was a photo of Abu that was credited to the peegs guy, which is why his name is showing up. The article was written by the main NC State guy on TOS.

Can you provide us with any more info regarding the source, his credibility and what didn't go well? I'm still shocked that we haven't heard one word about yesterday! It's like all writers and players were given a gag order. I'm sure the kid is being very private but someone has to have some feedback. I tweeted our players last night, nobody will say a word. Hopefully Zagoria or Meyer or someone gives us something soon.
@FlaHusky Didn't mean to come off as having a direct source, just the vibe that I'm getting from all the NC State and Florida boards that I could find (free and premium). I read one post that came from a friend of the walk-on who hosted Abu on his visit to the NC State campus. While hosting, the kid heard that the Florida visit didn't go so well. There were other posters from Florida boards who mentioned that Abu had gotten into Florida for a visit at 5pm and immediately left the next morning, and some Florida insiders seem to believe that they are out of the Abu race. Also (purely speculation on my part), there was a recent article from Zags how Florida is pushing really hard to get Trey Lyles, and Billy Donavon is the lead recruiter for Lyles. Maybe Donavon wants Lyles more than Abu, and that was made apparent on his visit?

Regarding the visit last night, the only thing that I could find, which was retweeted by 3, was this from someone who appears to be associated with Abu's AAU team:
Bojangles@HDreamsM_RT 16h
Took the young boy to a UCONN visit today and had him speak with the young homie Bazz and Coach Ollie. Great program

But I agree, it has been quiet considering he was on campus yesterday. Almost too quiet. I wonder what's up.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Thanks for the article FriarJ.

Really hope we get this guy; it's going to hurt if we don't.

Reaction Score
"But I agree, it has been quiet considering he was on campus yesterday. Almost too quiet. I wonder what's up. "

"I tweeted our players last night, nobody will say a word."

Wishful thinking: maybe he provisionally committed to UConn but wants it kept hush-hush until his public announcement.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the article FriarJ.

Really hope we get this guy; it's going to hurt if we don't.
Why? As Fishy so eloquently stated, there are no must get recruits. I think it's obvious the staff wants him so we should too but if not the staff will move on to other targets and whoever UConn does get will be a good player.

Reaction Score
uhyhereq.jpg

Reaction Score
This is kind of a strange recruitment. Usually when you're two weeks from the announcement date, and the kid has already visited every school, there is at least a leader leaked and usually one school that's rumored to be eliminated. The kid is obviously keeping this very close to the vest, and at this point I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised by him picking any of the four schools.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This is kind of a strange recruitment. Usually when you're two weeks from the announcement date, and the kid has already visited every school, there is at least a leader leaked and usually one school that's rumored to be eliminated. The kid is obviously keeping this very close to the vest, and at this point I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised by him picking any of the four schools.

It's hard to tell your friend you aren't making good on your promise to play together.

caw

Reaction Score
There was a photo of Abu that was credited to the peegs guy, which is why his name is showing up. The article was written by the main NC State guy on TOS.

@FlaHusky Didn't mean to come off as having a direct source, just the vibe that I'm getting from all the NC State and Florida boards that I could find (free and premium). I read one post that came from a friend of the walk-on who hosted Abu on his visit to the NC State campus. While hosting, the kid heard that the Florida visit didn't go so well. There were other posters from Florida boards who mentioned that Abu had gotten into Florida for a visit at 5pm and immediately left the next morning, and some Florida insiders seem to believe that they are out of the Abu race. Also (purely speculation on my part), there was a recent article from Zags how Florida is pushing really hard to get Trey Lyles, and Billy Donavon is the lead recruiter for Lyles. Maybe Donavon wants Lyles more than Abu, and that was made apparent on his visit?

Regarding the visit last night, the only thing that I could find, which was retweeted by 3, was this from someone who appears to be associated with Abu's AAU team:
Bojangles@HDreamsM_RT 16h
Took the young boy to a UCONN visit today and had him speak with the young homie Bazz and Coach Ollie. Great program

But I agree, it has been quiet considering he was on campus yesterday. Almost too quiet. I wonder what's up.

It was pretty quiet after Daniels visited also. I just think Ollie let's kids leak stuff if they want to, it won't come from UConn. Not saying an silent verbal was given just that if Abu doesn't want it leaked, it won't be leaked by UConn.

I think Abu is still deciding personally.

Reaction Score
It's hard to tell your friend you aren't making good on your promise to play together.

Between Terrell, and Cooley being the coach that has recruited him the longest, Providence is probably the school with the biggest emotional pull for him. I don't know how much that factors in, but I agree Providence is the school he'd have the toughest time saying no to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom