Abu on campus today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Abu on campus today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's the guy I want most in the 2014 class. Then Chukwu. Then Snider. Then a SF. I like Chatman, Robinson, White, and Larrier in that order. We should get one of those 4 SFs.

I like your thinking! Great minds think a like, they say! ;)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not a UCONN grad. Just a diehard fan for 38 years and a season ticket holder for 25. Am I supposed to feel like there's something wrong with that?
Don't worry, i went to UCONN for 2.5 years and never set foot in the Dairy Bar(n)

Reaction Score
i've been to the dairy bar more times since I graduated from UConn than I did in my 4.25 years on campus... delicious for sure; ice cream, however, was low on my list of vices when I was there.

Don't worry, i went to UCONN for 2.5 years and never set foot in the Dairy Bar(n)

Reaction Score

Sounds like a Road Trip to me... Look out National Lampoon's Vacation! Are you Clark Griswald?

Reaction Score
He's the guy I want most in the 2014 class. Then Chukwu. Then Snider. Then a SF. I like Chatman, Robinson, White, and Larrier in that order. We should get one of those 4 SFs.

I'd obviously love to have Abu, but I don't see how anybody other than Snider could be on the top of people's wish list right now. At the PG position, it's him, and then a bit of a drop-off. I know a lot of people have Samuel billed as a point, but I view him (and think Ollie does as well) as more of a combo guard along the lines of Craig Austrie. With the talent the staff has amassed on the wings, the 2014 and 2015 teams could be special with the right point guard.

Is Abu as good as Snider? Yeah, probably. But between Larrier, White, Chatman, Abu, Robinson, and even Oubre, we're in a good position to attract another stud on the wing, whether we opt to use him as a stretch four a la Daniels (which I imagine is what Ollie prefers) or in the Adrien mold. By 2014, I have to think either Nolan or Brimah (more likely Nolan) will have developed into a solid starting center, and of course Facey should be a solid 3 or 4 year player assuming that situation gets sorted out.

Reaction Score
i've been to the dairy bar more times since I graduated from UConn than I did in my 4.25 years on campus... delicious for sure; ice cream, however, was low on my list of vices when I was there.

i was too busy eating spicy chicken sandwiches from Johnathan's

Reaction Score
Why do you think he's a combo and not a natural PG? Also, while I badly want Snider since it looks like PG options are running out for '14, I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think he would be able to step in as a freshmen and run an offense effectively. It really took Bazz and Kemba til year 3 to really run an offense, and Boat is still TBD. Truthfully unless Boat comes back for his SR year(he would prob be dominant by that point) PG will likely be a weakness in 14-15 unless Purvis can actually play there better than anyone expects.

I'd obviously love to have Abu, but I don't see how anybody other than Snider could be on the top of people's wish list right now. At the PG position, it's him, and then a bit of a drop-off. I know a lot of people have Samuel billed as a point, but I view him (and think Ollie does as well) as more of a combo guard along the lines of Craig Austrie. With the talent the staff has amassed on the wings, the 2014 and 2015 teams could be special with the right point guard.

Is Abu as good as Snider? Yeah, probably. But between Larrier, White, Chatman, Abu, Robinson, and even Oubre, we're in a good position to attract another stud on the wing, whether we opt to use him as a stretch four a la Daniels (which I imagine is what Ollie prefers) or in the Adrien mold. By 2014, I have to think either Nolan or Brimah (more likely Nolan) will have developed into a solid starting center, and of course Facey should be a solid 3 or 4 year player assuming that situation gets sorted out.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
How do we have a top 50 guy on campus and no damn reports!

<------is going insane!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How do we have a top 50 guy on campus and no damn reports!

<------is going insane!!

I don't have too much to report but I did get close enough to hear Abu joking around with DD and Bazz. He was laughing saying "...and he didn't even wear a hat!!". And that cracked ME(!) up and my cover was blown. The looks they gave me. I went home.

Reaction Score
Why do you think he's a combo and not a natural PG? Also, while I badly want Snider since it looks like PG options are running out for '14, I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think he would be able to step in as a freshmen and run an offense effectively. It really took Bazz and Kemba til year 3 to really run an offense, and Boat is still TBD. Truthfully unless Boat comes back for his SR year(he would prob be dominant by that point) PG will likely be a weakness in 14-15 unless Purvis can actually play there better than anyone expects.

Maybe, but if you're arguing that a freshman point will have trouble running a team, isn't that all the more argument that Snider is crucial? Otherwise we're set back another year? I'm not following where you're going with your premise.

Reaction Score

A stud down low banger/ effort guy that can do the dirty work is higher on my list than a PG for a few reasons. One, we haven't a guy in our lineup like AMA since the guy in my avi. And I love the guy in my avi. Two, with Ollie at the helm I have no doubts that UConn will have elite backcourt and wing players year in and year out. Between Purvis, Samuels, and Hamilton I think we could get away with not getting a top PG. I'd take a guy like Watson and go all in for Dorsey in 2015.

AMA and Chukwu should be our top priorities this year. Of course I want Snider or McLaughlin, but AMA is just a little higher on my list.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking! Great minds think a like, they say! ;)

Indeed. Must be the ESPN conversation board connection. I don't know if you remember me, but I was Vince Wilfork Will Eat You on the old ESPN boards.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Wish List;

1a) Abu
1b) Snider
2) Oubre - not happening
3) Robinson
4) Chukwu

Reaction Score
Maybe, but if you're arguing that a freshman point will have trouble running a team, isn't that all the more argument that Snider is crucial? Otherwise we're set back another year? I'm not following where you're going with your premise.

I was basically countering the argument I've seen that Snider will be able to step in and start from Day 1, champs never really said that tho so it was really addressing other posts and not really his. I just included it in that reply instead of posting another one.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
If we come out with purvis hamelton Robinson and either Abu/larrier and a three star back up PG I'm fine with that. although would like a higher rated PG.

Reaction Score

No strong reason other than a hunch, plus, some sites list him as a shooting guard (which admittedly might not mean much). As for Snider running the point effectively as a freshman, who knows. Point guard is certainly the most demanding and difficult position to grasp in the UConn system, but I've watched enough game tape from this past year to think Ollie could tinker with the system a bit to make it a little more simplistic and wing-oriented (even more so than it already is). Plus, everybody adapts differently to the college game - it isn't as if we haven't seen freshman point guards successfully orchestrate high-caliber offenses in recent past. Hell, Shabazz played the point for large stretches of the 2010-11 season, and we won the national championship. That's probably what we'd expect from Snider in 2014 were he to commit here.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Iv seen snider play here in Louisville last year then of course since he was a uofl commit he made the news highlights all the time.i also plan to watch him a few time this year if were still in the running for him,but from what iv seen he needs work to run a NCAA team. Plus kids like 160 needs some muscal on him or hel get banged around easy. On the other hand his up sides great.

Reaction Score
i was too busy eating spicy chicken sandwiches from Johnathan's

I think it was like two of those, a drink, and some fries for one meal equivalent at Jonathan's. so much food. They did away with the monetary values of the meals a little while after that. Used to go to alumni at the end of the year at get like 50 powerades with my extra meals.

Reaction Score
I think it was like two of those, a drink, and some fries for one meal equivalent at Jonathan's. so much food. They did away with the monetary values of the meals a little while after that. Used to go to alumni at the end of the year at get like 50 powerades with my extra meals.
cant forget about the brick of rice crispy treats

Reaction Score
This same writer said UConn was 4th last week.

Now he reports this quote which is a death knell for his school:
Abu is a crafty politician but he knows that vibe in Raleigh is a positive one moving forward.

"It's hard to explain, but it is a special place, and it will be with or without me," Abu said. "It's a great place."

It's down to 3 now: Florida, UConn and PC. They're announcing at the Reggie Lewis center? I think Calhoun is holding a seance right now with Reggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom