Absolutely the worst call of a game I have heard since the Picozzi days | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Absolutely the worst call of a game I have heard since the Picozzi days

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lobo will make you go off kilter once in a while, she's chatty and a jokester as well (is that part of being color)

Reaction Score
Lobo sometimes does broadcasts but usually with another guy don't remember his name.

Ryan Ruocco? During the WNBA season those two are even more chatty and giggly.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know who has committed a foul by watching the game, I don't need someone to tell me. I also know who is in the game by looking at uniform numbers. It's not rocket science.
I agree 100%. It's like some of these posters have never seen a game before. :confused:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I agree with Myers and CTBball in theory, I don't know all the newbie UCONN players by sight yet. I know Molly because she's white. Same for Kyla. Impossible to mistake Azura with anyone else. I know Megan because she wears #3. I could not tell the difference between Mikayla, Lexi or Andi yet. And for Stanford, I only recognize McPhee.

Stanford players do have names on their backs, but I appreciate it when they tell us who scored and who's in/out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I barely even noticed the commentary. Have you ever listened to Bill Walton call a game? He is absolutely the worst. Non-stop meandering stream of consciousness that almost never has anything to do w/ the game. Talks mostly about concerts he went to 30 or 40 years ago, playing for coach Wooden, sleeping out under the stars in the desert....on and on. And he tends to be argumentative and confrontational with whatever poor soul has to be his broadcast partner. But fortunately for UConn women's hoops fans he does men's games, mostly working for Pac 12 Network but he shows up on a few other networks as well.
I know you're not alone in your reaction to Walton, but he actually cracks me up. He's an incorrigible hippie goofball. And I love it when he's teamed with Dave Pasch and the two of them go after each other like the odd couple.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And for Stanford, I only recognize McPhee.

I had some trouble distinguishing between Smith and Jerome at times. A bit hard to tell the difference between Williams and Wilson also. Carrington should've stood out in the 2nd half, she played great.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know you're not alone in your reaction to Walton, but he actually cracks me up. He's an incorrigible hippie goofball. And I love it when he's teamed with Dave Pasch and the two of them go after each other like the odd couple.

He definitely has some fans as well as detractors. I'm a big Arizona men's hoops fan, and for several years he called almost all of their games. I just got sick of hearing him. He repeats a bunch of his stories and anecdotes every game. Haven't gotten stuck w/ him 2 games into this season, knock on wood. Pasch puts up with him fairly well, but you can tell Dave gets exasperated at times.

Oh, Bill's recommended reading list gets really old too. It seems as though Dave would like to take some of those books and hit Bill over the head with them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
He definitely has some fans as well as detractors. I'm a big Arizona men's hoops fan, and for several years he called almost all of their games. I just got sick of hearing him. He repeats a bunch of his stories and anecdotes every game. Haven't gotten stuck w/ him 2 games into this season, knock on wood. Pasch puts up with him fairly well, but you can tell Dave gets exasperated at times.

Oh, Bill's recommended reading list gets really old too. It seems as though Dave would like to take some of those books and hit Bill over the head with them.
Have you seen Frank Caliendo's impression of Walton? It's hysterical. Worth looking up on YouTube if you haven't.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know who has committed a foul by watching the game, I don't need someone to tell me. I also know who is in the game by looking at uniform numbers. It's not rocket science.
Many people have difficulty identifying hand checks or some holds. and fans that are new to the game would enjoy the game more if they understood it better. That would be the commentators' job.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Have you seen Frank Caliendo's impression of Walton? It's hysterical. Worth looking up on YouTube if you haven't.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's pretty good. "I could smell colors."

He really, really nailed the Charles Barkley impersonation. Chuck didn't seem all that amused.

(I saw 2 different clips. One was from Mike and Mike, the other was from TNT's NBA studio.)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for the recommendation. That's pretty good. "I could smell colors."

He really, really nailed the Charles Barkley impersonation. Chuck didn't seem all that amused.

(I saw 2 different clips. One was from Mike and Mike, the other was from TNT's NBA studio.)
His Barkley impression is legend.
For the uninitiated:

Reaction Score
I miss Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien. Doris was very knowledgeable and Dave's voice made the games interesting. No going back now. Too bad.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else have trouble hearing Lobo? Seemed at times she was a low-talker. Maybe that's production's fault.

Reaction Score
My issue is the arena background noise is always louder than the announcers voices...reading this thread I should be thankful for that.

Reaction Score
Media people in the last several decades seem to have goal displaced their focus from reporting on the event to themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom