Absolutely the worst call of a game I have heard since the Picozzi days | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Absolutely the worst call of a game I have heard since the Picozzi days

Reaction Score
Wherefore art thou Doris?
Doris, oh Doris; you were for us.
Wherefore art thou oh golden haired Doris?
Your tender voice seemed to us a melodious chorus.
Some claimed that you bore us; did we not deserve you?
Now you are gone; we should have revered you.
And so we pay the price Doris, oh Doris.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The radio edit has a delay for advertisments and promos...

Reaction Score
I mentally tune out a lot of the off topic stuff. I do miss being told how many fouls someone has or who is checking in when the camera doesn't show it. Cant even hear the arena announcer due to all the chatter.
Its too bad they chatter about silly (but not really entertaining) stuff. It is a missed opportunity to increase viewer knowledge and promote WCBB. If the game is out of hand, I would love to see more analysis of how the plays worked with slow motion and marking up the screen. Point out the defenses and where the weak spots are, etc. Also would like to hear more discussion of WCBB, upcoming games, predictions. Instead they go off topic and it is like saying "We aren't interested". Insults devoted fans and certainly doesn't keep casual fans.

Reaction Score
"The women" were Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson.
I was well aware of that, but since it was a continuation of a discussion where they'd already been named I didn't think naming was necessary. And I find it difficult to be very harsh with Rebecca because I think she, along with Geno and CD, is a large part of the reason WBB is where it is today.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Adam Amin, as play by play man, Your role is to announce the play, reset the game with who is on the floor, recap the stoppage of play as a tv time out, foul, turnover or dead all. Defer to the analyst on strategies, plays being run and any unique observations, with queries back to develop the dialogue WITHIN the context of the game.
Now what is not being said is where the heck was the game producer who is supposed to be in their ear piece? Their role is to keep the dialogue on task and fluid to the game.

Reaction Score
You people just don't understand. ESPN combined the video of the game plus crowd noise, overlaid with a podcast of announcer chit-chat.

Thanks to ESPN cut-backs, we fans had the privilege of multitasking by hearing two programs simultaneously. What a time saver. :(

Reaction Score
More cutbacks coming for ESPN on-air personalities. SportsCenter supposedly will get hit hard.

Reaction Score
The male announcer was the play-by-play guy which, back when words and titles actually meant something, was supposed to call the plays. There were three or four fouls, maybe more, that there was absolutely no mention of. Since the camera was off looking at other things, there was no way to see the ref's signal as to what was gong on, The announcing crew was oblivious. The reason the problem is Mr. Amin's is because, as play-by-play announcer, he sets the pace. When the color commentators (and I agree. Why they need two is not clear at all) see that he is going to veer off into conversation, they accommodate him. If he calls the plays, they react to the plays.

Reaction Score
Who is this Amin guy? Chatty Cathy's brother? There must have been dozens of plays that were not called because he was sharing opinions and telling stories and showing that he knows women's basketball by throwing names around. And there's Kara Lawson, and yes, Rebecca Lobo, two women who know the sport better than anyone, and the three of them absolutely trivialized the game with meaningless chatter. The folks who called the games last year veered off course on occasion, but nothing like this.

I'm certain they are told to do this, in ESPN's mistaken belief that once it looks like a blowout, viewers do not care about the game any more. Here's a novel thought: If viewers do not care about the game, they will turn it off. They do not say to themselves, "Oh, now that the game's not competitive, I'll stick around to hear the announcers chat amongst themselves." That just is not how people work, WCBB fans or not.

That they do this to people watching the game insults the game and insults us all.
Indeed. I don't know who they think is watching these games, but I'm about 99.999% sure they don't give a damn about college football, let alone what Holly Rowe thinks about it. Good lord. STFU.

Reaction Score
Usually, Lobo. Lawson and Amin are in the studio for Espn not announcing game. Lobo sometimes does broadcasts but usually with another guy don't remember his name.

Reaction Score
I b
Dave did not regularly get names wrong. What, did this happen once or twice in a game he called, so now you're hanging it around his neck?

Kara and Rebecca would have been just fine today if they had been playing off of Dave instead of this new guy. Regarding Doris, her commentary had deteriorated in recent years; she was ready to move on and did so more or less voluntarily before the talent purge. But not Dave. He's a huge loss for ESPN, and not just on the WCBB side.
o’brien consistently gets names wrong and doesn’t in form who committed the foul or subs coming and goings won’t convince me otherwise. Shouldn’t do that calling championship games he didn’t deserve top games

Reaction Score
I know who has committed a foul by watching the game, I don't need someone to tell me. I also know who is in the game by looking at uniform numbers. It's not rocket science.

Reaction Score
My vision is fine but in a cluster can’t always tell who the foul is on . His job is to announce fouls and lineup changes among other things doesn’t take a wise ass to know that either

Reaction Score
Who is this Amin guy? Chatty Cathy's brother? There must have been dozens of plays that were not called because he was sharing opinions and telling stories and showing that he knows women's basketball by throwing names around. And there's Kara Lawson, and yes, Rebecca Lobo, two women who know the sport better than anyone, and the three of them absolutely trivialized the game with meaningless chatter. The folks who called the games last year veered off course on occasion, but nothing like this.

I'm certain they are told to do this, in ESPN's mistaken belief that once it looks like a blowout, viewers do not care about the game any more. Here's a novel thought: If viewers do not care about the game, they will turn it off. They do not say to themselves, "Oh, now that the game's not competitive, I'll stick around to hear the announcers chat amongst themselves." That just is not how people work, WCBB fans or not.

That they do this to people watching the game insults the game and insults us all.

They did the exact same thing in the OSU Louisville game. I usually really like Lobo and Kara. They stunk today in the Cards game. I thought the play by play guy was good but the ladies talked over baskets often and never identified the scorer several times

Reaction Score
I was well aware of that, but since it was a continuation of a discussion where they'd already been named I didn't think naming was necessary. And I find it difficult to be very harsh with Rebecca because I think she, along with Geno and CD, is a large part of the reason WBB is where it is today.
So what. She still rambled on over plays too often

Reaction Score
If you have been listening to the same crew calling the OSU/Louisville game they're
much more concentrated on the game - because it is a game.
Nope they did the same crap

Reaction Score
Are you all on drugs?? At least these three know the player names. I remember Mike Patrick and Ann Meyers Drysdale... they couldn't get the names correct, like all the time... How about Dave O'Brian and Doris Burke... They really went off track... And do you really want Carolyn Peck back at the mic? At least Kara and Rebecca are funny and have personalities... :) I love them :) Yay :p

Reaction Score
Indeed. I don't know who they think is watching these games, but I'm about 99.999% sure they don't give a damn about college football, let alone what Holly Rowe thinks about it. Good lord. .
Guess I'm the .001% - I definitely give a damn about college football. But you're right - couldn't care less what Holly Rowe thinks about it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I do miss being told how many fouls someone has or who is checking in when the camera doesn't show it.
Two of my big peeves. Call the @#$% game!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dvr’d This game but I for one will not miss Dave O’Brien he butchered names and went off game all the time. Can not stand getting names wrong it’s your job please
Dave is the worse

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I can't be the only one here with selective hearing. A talent I've acquired after nearly 50 years of marriage. I just tune them out when they are prattling on about whatever. TV games are a visual medium anyway and I really don't need an announcer to tell me who has how many fouls or who ran a backdoor cut.
very true... I enjoyed Dangerfield's shooting BUT I guess I gotta go back to see what the announcers were saying or not saying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom