Abdul Malik-Abu to NC State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Abdul Malik-Abu to NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The coach is terrible but I don't get why people think NC State is a bad program. They have a ridiculously good fanbase, fill a huge arena and have plenty of history.

That they can't hire a coach is bizarre.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate though with AMA moving his visit to UConn up that he was there a day before Purvis came back to campus. A conversation between those two for an hour or so wouldn't have hurt dissuade him from going to NC State.

Reaction Score
The coach is terrible but I don't get why people think NC State is a bad program. They have a ridiculously good fanbase, fill a huge arena and have plenty of history.

That they can't hire a coach is bizarre.

Maybe it's because NC State fans grow up rooting for UNC and Duke, and though they quickly stop rooting for UNC once they enroll at NC St, they never stop rooting for Duke.

Reaction Score
David Borges (@DaveBorges)
9/7/13, 3:59 PM
Abu on #UConn: Kevin Ollie is a great man, 1 of my favorite coaches throughout whole thing, if not the favorite ...

???????

Reaction Score
Maybe it's because NC State fans grow up rooting for UNC and Duke, and though they quickly stop rooting for UNC once they enroll at NC St, they never stop rooting for Duke.

There are actually very few Duke fans in most of North Carolina. Their fan base is a more of a New Jersey, New York type. Most State fans HATE UNC but dont really have that much intensity for Duke either way, We just want to beat them(which hasnt happened often enough of late).

As to the 'send us a postcard from the NIT' comment. NCSU has been to the NCAA tourny the last two years. I dont remember seeing UConn in my bracket last year.

Reaction Score
There are actually very few Duke fans in most of North Carolina. Their fan base is a more of a New Jersey, New York type. Most State fans HATE UNC but dont really have that much intensity for Duke either way, We just want to beat them(which hasnt happened often enough of late).

As to the 'send us a postcard from the NIT' comment. NCSU has been to the NCAA tourny the last two years. I dont remember seeing UConn in my bracket last year.
While we just love all the wisdom and knowledge you bring to this board, can you get the #!?* out of here now?

Reaction Score

Yup we weren't allowed in the tournament last year, I'm not sure if you watched the year before I'll give you a hint the starting point guard for the NBA team in your state won the championship.

Reaction Score

I've spent a lot of time in towns between Burlington and Winston-Salem. I was initially surprised by how many people were Duke fans in these towns. Many more than UNC fans. But there were UNC fans. I met almost no NC State fans. Some I knew had kids going to school, several ended up at NCSU, still rooted for Duke. It is odd. Even my conn. transplant cousin (move there in her mid 20s) roots for Duke. You know the region better than me, and my exposure is to maybe 100-150 people.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I lived in Raleigh and worked in Durham. Your statement is beyond ridiculous. NCSU's fan base locally is much stronger than either with 10% of the success.

NCSU didn't draw 17k for basketball by accident. Their football fanbase is bigger than Duke and Carolina's combined.

Reaction Score
I lived in Raleigh and worked in Durham. Your statement is beyond ridiculous. NCSU's fan base locally is much stronger than either with 10% of the success.

NCSU didn't draw 17k for basketball by accident. Their football fanbase is bigger than Duke and Carolina's combined.

Come on, don't be delusional.

Reaction Score
While we just love all the wisdom and knowledge you bring to this board, can you get the #!? out of here now?

LOL, Just making your board a little more fun, My work here is done, but I'll keep an eye out for FlaHusky in the future. Have a great season.

Reaction Score
That is just one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. Florida would've been one thing. They're about on par with us (in terms of last decade) and Donovan is a good coach. But why, oh why NCST????? I literally want to drive to Boston and talk some sense into this kid. Holy ...

Only good reason I can think of, for him picking NC State, is the fact that they are in the ACC. Which could show that conference really does matter to some recruits. I think we will lose out on some big-time players because of our conference affiliation. Not saying we won't recruit well, because I think we still will do fine with Ollie on the recruitingtrail. But being in the AAC is bound to lose us out on some players.

Reaction Score
Do we all remember the kid from New London that went to Florida a few years back? Of course not - neither do I (Chambers, Chaney?) well that's Abu at NC State........should have picked PC would have been his best move for so many reasons!;)

Not a great comparison. Chaney discovered he had a severe heart condition his freshman year at Florida. He couldn't play at all for 2-3 years and couldn't get cleared by a doctor to return to the team after that. If i remember correctly be ended up getting a waiver to play one year at a small school down south.

Anyway, I agree with you about NC State. That's a real head scratcher.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come on, don't be delusional.

Yeah I only lived there and have been to dozens of football and basketball games at the three schools.

If you think locals are Duke basketball fans as compared to UNC and State. Yikes.

There probably isn't a school with a bigger fanbase compared to their results than NCSU basketball.

Reaction Score
Yeah I only lived there and have been to dozens of football and basketball games at the three schools.

If you think locals are Duke basketball fans as compared to UNC and State. Yikes.

There probably isn't a school with a bigger fanbase compared to their results than NCSU basketball.

It's totally bizarre to think the NC ST fanbase in North Carolina is bigger than Duke and UNC combined. Beyond delusional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's totally bizarre to think the NC ST fanbase in North Carolina is bigger than Duke and UNC combined. Beyond delusional.

I said it was for football. It is because it's bigger than UNC and Duke doesn't have one. I bought a Duke football season ticket for $30.

Reaction Score

And I hardly remember Lorenzo Charles either which is the last time your program did anything to remember!! But hey, I guess it's not about championships for Mr Abu and that worked out for you didn't it!;)

Reaction Score
NC state has a bigger fan base because of all the redneck towns in NC. Think like its NASCAR and duke and UNC are like Jeff Gordon. They both have great success but just seem out of place

Reaction Score
Not a great comparison. Chaney discovered he had a severe heart condition his freshman year at Florida. He couldn't play at all for 2-3 years and couldn't get cleared by a doctor to return to the team after that. If i remember correctly be ended up getting a waiver to play one year at a small school down south.

Anyway, I agree with you about NC State. That's a real head scratcher.

Thank you for that update I did not know that - bad comparison...........

But his freshman year prior to that he was simply never going to see time there at that point so I "assumed" (wrongly) he spiraled into oblivion and that was not the case!

Reaction Score
When NC State was playing real crappy there were lots of seats showing and even when they played well (for them and made the NIT) they didn't fill buildings so that's no different than any program.......a bit overrated but they do have a great home court advantage when it is supported to it's fullest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom