Aaliyah pondering taking her extra Covid year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah pondering taking her extra Covid year?

Reaction Score
She was doing ads for Canadian companies last year
Which is possible when she's outside of the US. If she was promoting them while in Connecticut, this is new as I don't recall seeing those ads. That's the tricky part because of the "passive income" versus "active income" component that is the catch with the student visa.

I recall she did some promotional ads in advance of her basketball clinic while she was home in Kingston. She may have also done some as part of Canadian Basketball sponsorship deals with Flair Airlines and Toyota. In those, the players don't get much other than things like free flights from Flair.

Reaction Score
She goes. Even Carolyn Peck (to my great surprise) said she was WNBA ready and would go high in the draft. If she stays, great. The disappointment of last year, and now this year (not saying they can't win an NC) could factor heavily into her decision.

Reaction Score
I don't really see the development of the post players at UConn being fantastic and she is about as good as she is going to get with their teaching. She has a pro body, a pro mentality and she will be a pro next season. Once she gets on a team that puts her in her natural position she will excel in her development as a shooter. You have to realize she is playing as a five and most teams are putting a much taller person on her which limits her ability to really shine. She will be a superstar.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It's about staying on topic, the game.
But I knew your point of view was inevitable.
I believe the reporter did right in doing their job. The reporter is to inform and entertain the fans. The existence of this thread confirms that the question was appropriate. Also appropriate was Aaliyah's response It's as if she has had a course in media management taught by Derek Jeter.

Reaction Score
Not to change the subject here and I know that Aaliyah will make her choice. I wonder if Maddie has mixed feelings about leaving Villanova and should have taken her Covid year.

Reaction Score

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe the reporter did right in doing their job. The reporter is to inform and entertain the fans. The existence of this thread confirms that the question was appropriate. Also appropriate was Aaliyah's response It's as if she has had a course in media management taught by Derek Jeter.
I believe that the reporter's job is to ask the player about the game. Also, it appeared to me that the question made Aaliyah uncomfortable, is that the reporter's job too?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not to change the subject here and I know that Aaliyah will make her choice. I wonder if Maddie has mixed feelings about leaving Villanova and should have taken her Covid year.
I don't know about Maddie's feelings but I bet Coach Dillon is wishing she had stayed.

Reaction Score
I don't really see the development of the post players at UConn being fantastic and she is about as good as she is going to get with their teaching. She has a pro body, a pro mentality and she will be a pro next season. Once she gets on a team that puts her in her natural position she will excel in her development as a shooter. You have to realize she is playing as a five and most teams are putting a much taller person on her which limits her ability to really shine. She will be a superstar.
great point on development

Reaction Score
Trying to enforce such a rule on the free press would make the state school look authoritarian.
It could become a reason for future recruits not to want to go there or for others to want to leave.
No attack but this is very funny to say the least.
I believe the reporter did right in doing their job. The reporter is to inform and entertain the fans.
Again no attack JMHO they are called reporters for a reason. The players are why we buy tickets for entertainment. Nothing to do with reporters who try to become entertainment and fail.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im hoping Aaliyah and Paige stay another year and Im hoping we finally get healthy. My dream was to watch Paige Azzi and Caroline play together at 100%. Due to injuries I feel we were robbed of that. Now with Jana and possibly Aaliyah playing together along with Paige Azzi and Caroline well that sure looks like a top team in WCBB.

If Aaliyah does stay one more year there are some questions and concerns. What impact will that have on future recruits? Will both Paige and Aaliyah stay? If Paige and Aaliyah leave and Azzi Caroline Jana and Yana are not all healthy next season where does that leave UConn? I would expect some of those 4 to come back but how healthy will they be?

Geno has done a great job with who he has. We are looking much better over the past few games. The keys are to stay healthy with who we have. Paige and Aaliyah will carry us and Nika and Shade have added some much needed scoring. With continued improvement we can go a long way in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
My dream was to watch Paige Azzi and Caroline play together at 100%. Due to injuries I feel we were robbed of that.
My dream too! I lament the loss of this dream every day — well, not exactly every day, but a lot. It practically kills me to watch as malign fortune steals so much from the players and the team and the fans.

If Paige and Aaliyah leave and Azzi Caroline Jana and Yana are not all healthy next season where does that leave UConn? I would expect some of those 4 to come back but how healthy will they be?
Paige came back from injury ‘with a vengeance’ three times. Can Azzi do the same? It looked like she might have last season against Texas and NC St. If she comes back well next season, then the huskies can do a lot. If Ayanna comes back they will be strong in the paint. If Jana comes roaring back, I think they’re an obvious NC contender. If Caroline comes back well, I think they’re pretty much unstoppable. I have the least confidence about this last one coming to pass, and I may be the saddest for Caroline of all of them.

I wouldn’t wish an injury on any players. But as I watch the other top 25 teams play now I can’t help muttering to myself stuff like, “Try playing without 3 starters and a top rotation player for the whole season.”

Picture SC’s season without Cardoso Raven Paopao and Kitts. What would our February game against them look like under those conditions? Or UCLA without Betts Dugalic Rice and Osborne. Or LSU without Reese Morrow Williams and Smith. Or Iowa without Caitlin Goodman Stuelke and Davis. Or ND without Miles Citron Hidalgo and Prosper.

These would all be pretty good teams and they’d still be trying to figure themselves out by February. Some of them have the team culture to bounce back to something respectable Others might not be able to recover much team unity since they don’t have much history together, like UCLA or LSU. But I doubt any of them would be capable of making the run Paige is about to engineer. I sincerely hope none of these injuries happen, since it would be too cruel to all of these kids. Plus we’d all be robbed of a tremendous season of women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
I'd be leery of drafting Edwards as highly as she's ranked for a few reasons. She doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness/agility. Watch her when she closes on a jump shooter and bites on a ball fake. She literally runs straight out of the frame. She needs a lot of work there. She's not much of a rebounder and her hands are very suspect. Also, she feasts on weak front lines and disappears against good ones. I'd need to see her show up against top opponents more regularly because guess what - she's going to go against top talent pretty much every night in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I'd be leery of drafting Edwards as highly as she's ranked for a few reasons. She doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness/agility.
I've heard this criticism of Aaliyah's lateral quickness and I find it difficult to credit given how good she is at high hedges and drawing charges on the perimeter. If there was ever a spot on the floor where slow feet would be exposed, that would be it. And she is not a little 6'3". She's a big person.

Nev

Reaction Score
I believe that the reporter's job is to ask the player about the game. Also, it appeared to me that the question made Aaliyah uncomfortable, is that the reporter's job too?
It's the sports reporter's job to also ask the questions that fans want to know. Certainly this is a question UCONN fans would like to know from Aaliyah. That's taught in Basic Class 101.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's the sports reporter's job to also ask the questions that fans want to know. Certainly this is a question UCONN fans would like to know from Aaliyah. That's taught in Basic Class 101.
Even if Aaliyah (or any other player) has made a decision about their future plans, I believe that they will not announce it in a game linked interview. I am thinking more like on their preferred social media platform, after informing the coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom