Aaliyah pondering taking her extra Covid year? | The Boneyard

Aaliyah pondering taking her extra Covid year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Three possibilities right now - yes, no, not sure. I am guessing she is not totally sure but leaning toward going. Nothing she said there is inconsistent with that. Just a guess.

She has obviously seen how well Dorka has fared. She will make a great 4 at the WNBA level.

Mock drafts have her at 4 or 5. If she makes it to 7 Minnesota will rush the podium to pick her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The article is behind a paywall. It’s the quote from Aaliyah I found interesting

Aaliyah said this in the post game presser.
I really think questions not covering the game should not be allowed in the pre and post game availability interviews. IMHO

Reaction Score
That’s my guess too. And even if she has decided to declare for the draft, she’s not likely to say so now for fear of distracting the freshmen.
Selfishly, I'd like her to stay. Without a crystal ball about Bigs for next year, right now she it It.
For her professional life, depending on NIL, she needs to do what is best for her.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that the possibility of a return is still there, even if it might still be a longshot. It is interesting how many players have returned with their optional year, if they were on a team that was a championship contender. That still seems to be a significant reason some return, and gives Uconn fans that are hopeful of a return more reason to think it might happen.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that the possibility of a return is still there, even if it might still be a longshot. It is interesting how many players have returned with their optional year, if they were on a team that was a championship contender. That still seems to be a significant reason some return, and gives Uconn fans that are hopeful of a return more reason to think it might happen.
Not just the possibility of a natty but wanting to postpone flying commercial as long as possible. :cool:

sun

Reaction Score
Aaliyah said this in the post game presser.
I really think questions not covering the game should not be allowed in the pre and post game availability interviews. IMHO
The player can always decline to answer any question that they don't want to talk about.
Trying to enforce such a rule on the free press would make the state school look authoritarian.
It could become a reason for future recruits not to want to go there or for others to want to leave.

sun

Reaction Score
There can be other factors such as what Paige intends to do & whether she wants an advanced degree.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The player can always decline to answer any question that they don't want to talk about.
Trying to enforce such a rule on the free press would make the state school look authoritarian.
It could become a reason for future recruits not to want to go there or for others to want to leave.
It's about staying on topic, the game.
But I knew your point of view was inevitable.

Reaction Score
Selfishly, I'd like her to stay. Without a crystal ball about Bigs for next year, right now she it It.
For her professional life, depending on NIL, she needs to do what is best for her.
Unless her NIL is significantly higher than she could earn professionally , there’s no upside to developing her game by staying. We’ve seen the strides made from past Huskies when they moved on and could focus 100% on their game.

In her case, it's hard to say. NIL is different for international students. Deals like what Bueckers and Fudd have aren't as easy to arrange.

The ability to benefit is affected by their visa status She can benefit from the sale of apparel while in the US because she's not actively promoting them. Anything NIL related that requires promoting a product/brand would have to be coordinated for when she's outside of the US.

Reaction Score
Three possibilities right now - yes, no, not sure. I am guessing she is not totally sure but leaning toward going. Nothing she said there is inconsistent with that. Just a guess.

She has obviously seen how well Dorka has fared. She will make a great 4 at the WNBA level.

Mock drafts have her at 4 or 5. If she makes it to 7 Minnesota will rush the podium to pick her.
GO LYNX.... Aaliyah is an natural HUSKIE and LYNX = both "natural" Canadians!!

Reaction Score
She still needs to work on her outside shot, her ball handling and her all-around consistency if she wants to be drafted high in the first round next year........is it easier to work on those things as a Husky or on her own? On the other hand, if this current team doesn't perform up to par, she may feel her job is not done at UConn.........next year's team should be loaded if Paige and Azzi are back along with Jana, Ayanna and the two freshmen.......Ziebell is an excellent long-range shooter and should help prevent defenders from doubling Paige and Jana and Ayanna should provide added strength on the boards.......it's a tough choice..

Reaction Score
Unless her NIL is significantly higher than she could earn professionally , there’s no upside to developing her game by staying. We’ve seen the strides made from past Huskies when they moved on and could focus 100% on their game.
She is not eligible for an individual NIL, since she is not an American. Same with Nika. Neither of them has any financial incentive to take the fifth year.

Reaction Score
She still needs to work on her outside shot, her ball handling and her all-around consistency if she wants to be drafted high in the first round next year........is it easier to work on those things as a Husky or on her own? On the other hand, if this current team doesn't perform up to par, she may feel her job is not done at UConn.........next year's team should be loaded if Paige and Azzi are back along with Jana, Ayanna and the two freshmen.......Ziebell is an excellent long-range shooter and should help prevent defenders from doubling Paige and Jana and Ayanna should provide added strength on the boards.......it's a tough choice..
Gotta agree, another year will do her well in terms of sharpening her skills!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I ran into Liya and her mom (?) on the garage elevator after the game. I chatted her up a bit, but didn’t want to be rude, so I didn’t ask her. I should have asked her about Jocyte!
YES! you should have. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

From a basketball standpoint, I think her game is pro ready and teams will salivate at taking her in the 5-8 range even with some inconsistency. Edwards will be a very good 4 in the pros and I think compares very similarly to Asjha Jones from back in the day. Good face up game, quicker than most bigs off the dribble, excellent lateral quickness to come out and hedge and defend guards. Likes contact and finishes well around the basket. For a modern day comparison, almost like a poor man's A'ja Wilson. I think she could be a lottery pick if one of Brink/Bueckers/Cardoso/Clark returns for a 5th year.

I'm not sure if staying in college another year will benefit her much basketball wise since I think she has a great skill set for a PF in the pros. She might have a better shot at a championship next year with (hopefully) a healthy roster but I think her game is ready for the next level.

Reaction Score
She is not eligible for an individual NIL, since she is not an American. Same with Nika. Neither of them has any financial incentive to take the fifth year.
She is but it's trickier to manage because she has to be outside of the US if there are promotional requirements.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is whether you can work on those things at UConn. Gabby couldn't. That came with her in the pros.

Reaction Score
Would love to have Aaliyah stay but my advice with the pounding she receives each game is to become a top 4 draft choice and take the money. Would be difficult for her to do more with this team than she has accomplished in the past. One of my favorite players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom