Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Meg had a ceremony, complete with a Husky. Both Liv and Christyn had ceremonies at school.
And I am guessing that they were also streamed live? If they were, I didn't pay any attention to them...this is the first commitment reveal that I have streamed but only because I was home on a Thursday afternoon browsing in the BY's WBB forum at 4PM...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Over the last 2-3 years, we were effective with a pressure defense, but we had to limit it due to a lack of a bench. Fatigue may have been a problem, but fouls certainly were. We now have the troops to attack on defense. Paige is a thief with fabulous timing and hands, Mir and Aaliyah are long and quick, Liv is a rim protector, etc. Look for some lock-down defense.

Reaction Score
I think Geno and staff realized the Achilles heel of the teams in recent years was not enough depth on the bench. I think with recruiting now Geno is basically saying we can’t rely on kids who are hard workers but can’t do enough in games.
I am ready for a team with enough players to do the classic UConn press where you blink and they are up by 20 or more. For me that's what has been missing. The last couple years the numbers have only allowed for one quarter of press.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How would you rate Fudd vs Bueckers? Who would you rather have if you had to choose.
Ooh, #1 and #1a. Paige and Azzi were the best players in high school last year, even better than Jones and Horston. Azzi won half of the NPOY awards--as a sophomore. Would you rather have Diana or Maya? I think it depends on the need. Both can play the 1, 2, and 3. Paige is better at the 1; Azzi is better at the 2 or 3. Paige may be the best passer since Diana. Azzi may be the best shooter since Steph Curry (no comparisons on the women's side; she's a 50/40/90 shooter). Paige is fiery, like Diana. Azzi is smooth, like Maya. I'd give you first choice and would be thrilled to get the player you didn't pick. But think about them together. Sue and Diana rarely lose when they play together; well, think about Paige and Azzi. Sounds like a backcourt for the ages. BTW, they would be on the floor with Squeaks!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I thought that play might cost us a highly desired recruit. ;)
Actually I think that it made her to want to come to UConn more. She understood that Stepf learned that move while playing for Geno and CD and hopes to become a player like Stepf, Stewie, Tuck, or Pheesa. They all learned that pick play while playing for UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, I've posted several times since I got home, but I want to do this:

Welcome to HuskyNation, Aaliyah! You will be a lifetime member and always welcome in Connecticut. Geno, CD, et al. will help you develop as a player and person. We are thrilled to have you. Enjoy your senior year! We will see you next year--and you will hear us.

Reaction Score
Ooh, #1 and #1a. Paige and Azzi were the best players in high school last year, even better than Jones and Horston. Azzi won half of the NPOY awards--as a sophomore. Would you rather have Diana or Maya? I think it depends on the need. Both can play the 1, 2, and 3. Paige is better at the 1; Azzi is better at the 2 or 3. Paige may be the best passer since Diana. Azzi may be the best shooter since Steph Curry (no comparisons on the women's side; she's a 50/40/90 shooter). Paige is fiery, like Diana. Azzi is smooth, like Maya. I'd give you first choice and would be thrilled to get the player you didn't pick. But think about them together. Sue and Diana rarely lose when they play together; well, think about Paige and Azzi. Sounds like a backcourt for the ages. BTW, they would be on the floor with Squeaks!
I’m with ya. Your assessment is spot on. So let’s hope we can get them both and see what happens. If they’re both here it may be the closest thing to watching what a team with D and Maya looks like.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“When she arrives on campus, they’re going to get a player that’s about the program," Edwards’ high school coach, Marlo Davis, told The Courant. “Whatever UConn needs from her to get back to that championship, she’s there to do it. If that means she needs to score 30 points, that’s what she’s going to do. If that means she needs to score five points and grab 30 rebounds, that what she’s going to do.

"If she has to score zero points and guard the other teams’ best players, that’s what she’s going to do. She’s a kid that’s for the team. I think that’s one of the things that drew her to UConn. Everybody there is about the team.”

Edwards’ athleticism has also allowed her to excel in track, specifically in triple jump, Davis said.

“Her ability to run in plays in the open floor, I think that’s one of her strengths,” he added. “Her ability to rebound with her athleticism and height; she’s a mismatch. Against bigger players, she’s an athlete so she can beat them off the dribble, and if they have smaller players on her, she’s strong as an ox so she’ll score on them or score on the block as well.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
“When she arrives on campus, they’re going to get a player that’s about the program," Edwards’ high school coach, Marlo Davis, told The Courant. “Whatever UConn needs from her to get back to that championship, she’s there to do it. If that means she needs to score 30 points, that’s what she’s going to do. If that means she needs to score five points and grab 30 rebounds, that what she’s going to do.

"If she has to score zero points and guard the other teams’ best players, that’s what she’s going to do. She’s a kid that’s for the team. I think that’s one of the things that drew her to UConn. Everybody there is about the team.”

Edwards’ athleticism has also allowed her to excel in track, specifically in triple jump, Davis said.

“Her ability to run in plays in the open floor, I think that’s one of her strengths,” he added. “Her ability to rebound with her athleticism and height; she’s a mismatch. Against bigger players, she’s an athlete so she can beat them off the dribble, and if they have smaller players on her, she’s strong as an ox so she’ll score on them or score on the block as well.”

So she can give us 30 points or 30 rebounds on a given night. Her coach is quite the optimist, :)

Reaction Score

HS coaches can really talk up their stars. Great quotes. Ricci at Ossining & Bueckers'coach, Cosgrove? All masters at it. Looks like next season we have Taurasi, Moore and G Williams coming in? Sounds good to me. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Over the last 2-3 years, we were effective with a pressure defense, but we had to limit it due to a lack of a bench. Fatigue may have been a problem, but fouls certainly were. We now have the troops to attack on defense. Paige is a thief with fabulous timing and hands, Mir and Aaliyah are long and quick, Liv is a rim protector, etc. Look for some lock-down defense.
Also let's not forget Griffin's athleticism. She is, indeed, going to be a handful in the transition game and the quarter court on defense right away.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually I think that it made her to want to come to UConn more. She understood that Stepf learned that move while playing for Geno and CD and hopes to become a player like Stepf, Stewie, Tuck, or Pheesa. They all learned that pick play while playing for UConn.
I think what made her want to play more was looking over at the team in red and seeing 4 UConn players. That had to impress her.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I will admit that I wasn't very optimistic about her decision (before she announced it) because of the way she was announcing it. I just figured if she was going to come to UConn that it would be a quiet announcement, ala Stewie. But...I did watch it, enjoyed her raw emotion and am glad she chose UConn and will not complain about any future fanfare announcements.

2011 is a different era from 2019. Social media, vids, pomp and circumstance...all that. Just not comparable.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think what made her want to play more was looking over at the team in red and seeing 4 UConn players. That had to impress her.

JordyG, there’s an old saying I know you’re familiar with: “game recognizes game.”:cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Welcome to UCONN Ms Edwards. I would imagine that does it for UCONN for the 2020 class. And what a good one it is.

And as I always say to the Chicken Littles around here, whenever Geno has a "down" recruiting year (and it didn't end up very "down" anyway - Griffin and Makurat), the next year's class is almost always a bumper year. And History repeats itself, again. Chicken Littles are so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom