Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wonderful news from Crestwood Prep. With the addition of Aaliyah Edwards to an already uber-talented recruiting class, UConn has now secured a complete set: 1 Center, 2 Guards & 2 Forwards. A few random thoughts:
  • I am truly impressed that a 17-year-old can stand up in front of a crowd and speak contemporaneously for 15-20 minutes. Aaliyah’s obvious emotion during one of the most important days in her life was genuinely moving.
  • While UConn’s 2020 Recruiting Class will have to compete for PT with some really talented players, both ahead and behind them, most schools in the country would happily take this class as their starting 5 for the next 4 years. They have talent, incredible athleticism, size and enormous potential.
  • Over the past few years, some of us may have felt Geno was losing a step or two after missing on several high-profile recruits. But there are a couple things that we should never forget about Geno: he adapts better than any other WBB coach and he is a fierce competitor. From the moment last season ended Geno and his staff were incredibly active patching up this season’s holes in the roster with talented transfers/international players and then going out and landing 5 really talented players for next year.
  • As for Aaliyah, while I certainly don’t know the details concerning her recruitment, I will speculate that a couple assists should be handed out. I’m certain the four prior 2020 commits worked hard on her to seal the deal this past weekend at First Night, but I also suspect that Paige took it as a personal challenge to land Aaliyah as her teammate. I am already fantasizing about Paige racing down the middle of the court with the ball in her hands, leading a fast break, with Mir on one wing and Aaliyah on the other. SHOWTIME!!!
  • In addition, I suspect that another assist should be handed out to a young lady who also hails from north of the border and was a member of the Canadian National Team while still in HS. To UConn fans, Kia Nurse was a fierce competitor and relentless defender. To Canadians, particularly young WBB players, Kia Nurse is something of a Rock Star. For those that don’t know, Crestwood Prep is a “basketball factory” in Canada. It’s my understanding that there are several really talented young ladies at Crestwood who are dreaming about playing for UConn, where they can follow in Kia, and now Aaliyah’s footsteps.
  • Finally, we can dispense with any additional speculation. I’m calling it now. UConn’s 2020 recruiting class will be the #1 Class in the Nation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Her whole announcement was a lot of thanking people and programs who helped her along the way. She got emotional when talking about the pride in playing for Team Canada. Got emotional when talking about her family. Said the program she was choosing has everything she wants and needs to help her get thru 4 years of college and grow and improve and move on to the next level.

Also said the program she's choosing can really help her be the person she wants to be and how much she appreciates the coaches and her teammates and thanked them for their interest in her.

The whole auditorium erupted when she announced UCONN...

She strikes me as an incredibly thoughtful and humble kid. We are all going to love her. Welcome to OUR family Aaliyah! Clearly yours has raised a gem!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wonderful news from Crestwood Prep. With the addition of Aaliyah Edwards to an already uber-talented recruiting class, UConn has now secured a complete set: 1 Center, 2 Guards & 2 Forwards. A few random thoughts:
  • I am truly impressed that a 17-year-old can stand up in front of a crowd and speak contemporaneously for 15-20 minutes. Aaliyah’s obvious emotion during one of the most important days in her life was genuinely moving.
  • While UConn’s 2020 Recruiting Class will have to compete for PT with some really talented players, both ahead and behind them, most schools in the country would happily take this class as their starting 5 for the next 4 years. They have talent, incredible athleticism, size and enormous potential.
  • Over the past few years, some of us may have felt Geno was losing a step or two after missing on several high-profile recruits. But there are a couple things that we should never forget about Geno: he adapts better than any other WBB coach and he is a fierce competitor. From the moment last season ended Geno and his staff were incredibly active patching up this season’s holes in the roster with talented transfers/international players and then going out and landing 5 really talented players for next year.
  • As for Aaliyah, while I certainly don’t know the details concerning her recruitment, I will speculate that a couple assists should be handed out. I’m certain the four prior 2020 commits worked hard on her to seal the deal this past weekend at First Night, but I also suspect that Paige took it as a personal challenge to land Aaliyah as her teammate. I am already fantasizing about Paige racing down the middle of the court with the ball in her hands, leading a fast break, with Mir on one wing and Aaliyah on the other. SHOWTIME!!!
  • In addition, I suspect that another assist should be handed out to a young lady who also hails from north of the border and was a member of the Canadian National Team while still in HS. To UConn fans, Kia Nurse was a fierce competitor and relentless defender. To Canadians, particularly young WBB players, Kia Nurse is something of a Rock Star. For those that don’t know, Crestwood Prep is a “basketball factory” in Canada. It’s my understanding that there are several really talented young ladies at Crestwood who are dreaming about playing for UConn, where they can follow in Kia, and now Aaliyah’s footsteps.
  • Finally, we can dispense with any additional speculation. I’m calling it now. UConn’s 2020 recruiting class will be the #1 Class in the Nation.
...and so will the 2021 class.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree with everything you said. As far as rankings, Both Gabriel and Muhl are not listed on the top 100 for HG. Both are graded as level 90. I have no doubt Muhl is a top 20 kid (much as most of us felt Nurse was a top 10 kid). And Gabriel will probably rise to the 70's or so. Regardless, It's a tremendous class no matter what the "experts" tell everyone...

On edit, Gabriel is listed as #41 per PN...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2020-21 (11)

SR: Walker (F)
SR/JR: Westbrook (G)
JR: CW (G), Ono (C)
SO: Griffin (F), Makurat (G)
FR: Bueckers (PG), McLean (W), Edwards (W), Muhl (G), Gabriel (F)

2021-22 (10)
SR: CW (G), Ono (C)
JR: Griffin (F), Makurat (G)
SO: Bueckers (PG), McLean (W), Edwards (W), Muhl (G), Gabriel (F)
FR: Poffenbarger (G)

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2020-21 (11)

SR: Walker (F)
SR/JR: Westbrook (G)
JR: CW (G), Ono (C)
SO: Griffin (F), Makurat (G)
FR: Bueckers (PG), McLean (W), Edwards (W), Muhl (G), Gabriel (F)

Interestingly I don't see Edwards anywhere in the ProspectNation rankings.

ProspectsNation has always put non-American players in their own category before changing that and recently adding Canadians but only starting with the 2021 class. This year they have not made an international list so Edwards is in PN limbo.

She's ranked 11th by All Star Girls Report.

Reaction Score
Agree, it puts us right up with the if not the best recruiting. Take that South Carolina and Stanford!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Finally, we can dispense with any additional speculation. I’m calling it now. UConn’s 2020 recruiting class will be the #1 Class in the Nation.
A bit premature with that call. Hoopgurls 2,4,5,6,7 and 8 are still out there. But a great great class none the less

Reaction Score
ProspectsNation has always put non-American players in their own category before changing that and recently adding Canadians but only starting with the 2021 class. This year they have not made an international list so Edwards is in PN limbo.

She's ranked 11th by All Star Girls Report.

But she's from the 51st state. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro