Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A bit premature with that call. Hoopgurls 2,4,5,6,7 and 8 are still out there. But a great great class none the less
Maybe, but I suspect that the top rated players on Hoopgurlz will be spread across the Usual Suspects. UConn's recruits will all get the "UConn Bounce" jumping up in the rankings, with the exception of Nika, possibly the best international recruit anyone has signed, and Paige who can't possibly jump up any higher in the rankings,

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From that article:

“Edwards, who visited Storrs last weekend for First Night, chose the Huskies over several other marquee programs, including Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame and Oregon. She’s the first Canadian prospect to land at UConn since point guard Kia Nurse.”

I did not expect that list. Doesn't Oregon already have five players? Hmmm.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I suspect that the top rated players on Hoopgurlz will be spread across the Usual Suspects. UConn's recruits will all get the "UConn Bounce" jumping up in the rankings, with the exception of Nika, possibly the best international recruit anyone has signed, and Paige who can't possibly jump up any higher in the rankings,
Usually the only players who get bumps after this period are those who are seen during the HS season. That’ll likely just be Mir and Aaliyah.

If ND gets Clark...UConn, ND, and Oregon all make an argument for #1...add Baylor in if they get Van Lith and Andrews.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wonderful news from Crestwood Prep. With the addition of Aaliyah Edwards to an already uber-talented recruiting class, UConn has now secured a complete set: 1 Center, 2 Guards & 2 Forwards. A few random thoughts:
  • I am truly impressed that a 17-year-old can stand up in front of a crowd and speak contemporaneously for 15-20 minutes. Aaliyah’s obvious emotion during one of the most important days in her life was genuinely moving.
  • While UConn’s 2020 Recruiting Class will have to compete for PT with some really talented players, both ahead and behind them, most schools in the country would happily take this class as their starting 5 for the next 4 years. They have talent, incredible athleticism, size and enormous potential.
  • Over the past few years, some of us may have felt Geno was losing a step or two after missing on several high-profile recruits. But there are a couple things that we should never forget about Geno: he adapts better than any other WBB coach and he is a fierce competitor. From the moment last season ended Geno and his staff were incredibly active patching up this season’s holes in the roster with talented transfers/international players and then going out and landing 5 really talented players for next year.
  • As for Aaliyah, while I certainly don’t know the details concerning her recruitment, I will speculate that a couple assists should be handed out. I’m certain the four prior 2020 commits worked hard on her to seal the deal this past weekend at First Night, but I also suspect that Paige took it as a personal challenge to land Aaliyah as her teammate. I am already fantasizing about Paige racing down the middle of the court with the ball in her hands, leading a fast break, with Mir on one wing and Aaliyah on the other. SHOWTIME!!!
  • In addition, I suspect that another assist should be handed out to a young lady who also hails from north of the border and was a member of the Canadian National Team while still in HS. To UConn fans, Kia Nurse was a fierce competitor and relentless defender. To Canadians, particularly young WBB players, Kia Nurse is something of a Rock Star. For those that don’t know, Crestwood Prep is a “basketball factory” in Canada. It’s my understanding that there are several really talented young ladies at Crestwood who are dreaming about playing for UConn, where they can follow in Kia, and now Aaliyah’s footsteps.
  • Finally, we can dispense with any additional speculation. I’m calling it now. UConn’s 2020 recruiting class will be the #1 Class in the Nation.

As usual, well said OD!! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to mention that OR already has 4 of the top 25. I think they are the leader for #1.
Maybe, but when all is said and done, UConn is likely to have three top 25 players, including #1 along with perhaps the top international player (one that Oregon did not get) as well as a BIG who has barely scratched the surface of her potential.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
True @olddude, I love our class. I'm think Reese and Hailey Van Lith ( and maybe clark) can be game changers. If one of the usual subjects lands both of them along with what they already have ... But in reality no matter where they go there is only one lead dog and they'll end up chasing UConn for most of their careers.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not to mention that OR already has 4 of the top 25. I think they are the leader for #1.
Yeah, But I think they have too many of the same position covered and not a balanced class. This class has teh balance to be a starting 5

Reaction Score
Wonderful news from Crestwood Prep. With the addition of Aaliyah Edwards to an already uber-talented recruiting class, UConn has now secured a complete set: 1 Center, 2 Guards & 2 Forwards. A few random thoughts:
  • I am truly impressed that a 17-year-old can stand up in front of a crowd and speak contemporaneously for 15-20 minutes. Aaliyah’s obvious emotion during one of the most important days in her life was genuinely moving.
  • While UConn’s 2020 Recruiting Class will have to compete for PT with some really talented players, both ahead and behind them, most schools in the country would happily take this class as their starting 5 for the next 4 years. They have talent, incredible athleticism, size and enormous potential.
  • Over the past few years, some of us may have felt Geno was losing a step or two after missing on several high-profile recruits. But there are a couple things that we should never forget about Geno: he adapts better than any other WBB coach and he is a fierce competitor. From the moment last season ended Geno and his staff were incredibly active patching up this season’s holes in the roster with talented transfers/international players and then going out and landing 5 really talented players for next year.
  • As for Aaliyah, while I certainly don’t know the details concerning her recruitment, I will speculate that a couple assists should be handed out. I’m certain the four prior 2020 commits worked hard on her to seal the deal this past weekend at First Night, but I also suspect that Paige took it as a personal challenge to land Aaliyah as her teammate. I am already fantasizing about Paige racing down the middle of the court with the ball in her hands, leading a fast break, with Mir on one wing and Aaliyah on the other. SHOWTIME!!!
  • In addition, I suspect that another assist should be handed out to a young lady who also hails from north of the border and was a member of the Canadian National Team while still in HS. To UConn fans, Kia Nurse was a fierce competitor and relentless defender. To Canadians, particularly young WBB players, Kia Nurse is something of a Rock Star. For those that don’t know, Crestwood Prep is a “basketball factory” in Canada. It’s my understanding that there are several really talented young ladies at Crestwood who are dreaming about playing for UConn, where they can follow in Kia, and now Aaliyah’s footsteps.
  • Finally, we can dispense with any additional speculation. I’m calling it now. UConn’s 2020 recruiting class will be the #1 Class in the Nation.
I think Nika might have played a role in recruiting her also. They hung together a little during the final four.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From the Doug Bonjour piece:

In fact, Davis compared her to a recent All-American at UConn.

“I see her as a … Napheesa Collier type of player, where some days, depending on the matchup, she could play the 4, and then depending on other matchups she could be on the wing, taking them off the dribble,” Davis said. “She’s a monster in transition. She’s also a track star.”

Reaction Score
I did not expect that list. Doesn't Oregon already have five players? Hmmm.

May be referring to schools that had interest in her at some point.

Or
Little used Giomi is a RS junior, so maybe he knows already she's not coming back.
Boley also is RS junior, but unless she grad transfers cant imagine she wouldnt be back.
And JRs Sabally or Aussie Yaeger could go pro elsewhere, tho seems less likely for the former with her younger sister there.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
canadian_Uconn.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
...and so will the 2021 class.

Geno "hiccupped" recently. Remember? It was suggested that he had lost his touch and his edge for recruiting because he missed out on some highly coveted recruits last year?..............................well, Geno cleared his throat went to work, got busy and got it done with our 2020 class. Then he turned and said to his doubters, "Heh heh heh, how you like me now?" :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just curious...the article mentions Aaliyah is a track star. Anyone know what events she performed in? Sprint distances, high jump? Was she actively recruited for track? That training brings other special.kinds of skills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom