Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Doug Bonjour piece:

In fact, Davis compared her to a recent All-American at UConn.

“I see her as a … Napheesa Collier type of player, where some days, depending on the matchup, she could play the 4, and then depending on other matchups she could be on the wing, taking them off the dribble,” Davis said. “She’s a monster in transition. She’s also a track star.”

A common thread in UConn's 2020 class, all of them are big and can run. Bueckers 6'0, Edwards 6'3, Muhl 5'11, Gabriel 6'5, and McClean 5'11(plays like she is 6'2) all have great size and are extremely athletic in the transition game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One thing that no one has mentioned yet. She announced fairly early, not at the 11th hour. She didn't drag it out and keep us in suspense like other recent coveted recruits did.

Today was a real good day!!! :D

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I suspect that the top rated players on Hoopgurlz will be spread across the Usual Suspects. UConn's recruits will all get the "UConn Bounce" jumping up in the rankings, with the exception of Nika, possibly the best international recruit anyone has signed, and Paige who can't possibly jump up any higher in the rankings,
Been checking in daily hoping for this.
Enjoy your posts
Win lose or draw we are privileged to watch some supremely talented athletes who are also terrific young women. UCONN women
Let the games begin!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With respect
One thing that no one has mentioned yet. She announced fairly early, not at the 11th hour. She didn't drag it out and keep us in suspense like other recent coveted recruits did.

Today was a real good day!!! :D

With respect to that, I find this quote in Doug's article very interesting and a very clear sign of her sensitive personality. Another parallel to Pheesa imho

“I would say her process was a very positive one,” Jackie said. “Almost immediately she kind of had a sense of where she didn’t want to be, and encouraged those schools to offer a scholarship to somebody else.”

Reaction Score
Could I ask a favor? Could one of the (amazing) BY'ers put together future pro forma starting lineups for us? With heights? For next year, year after? First of the benches?

My head is spinning with all these new arrivals. Can't conceive of what we're going to look like.

Little help?

Reaction Score
Could I ask a favor? Could one of the (amazing) BY'ers put together future pro forma starting lineups for us? With heights? For next year, year after? First of the benches?

My head is spinning with all these new arrivals. Can't conceive of what we're going to look like.

Little help?

2020-21 (11)
SR: Walker (F)
SR/JR: Westbrook (G)
JR: CW (G), Ono (C)
SO: Griffin (F), Makurat (G)
FR: Bueckers (PG), McLean (W), Edwards (W), Muhl (G), Gabriel (F)

2021-22 (10)
SR: CW (G), Ono (C)
JR: Griffin (F), Makurat (G)
SO: Bueckers (PG), McLean (W), Edwards (W), Muhl (G), Gabriel (F)
FR: Poffenbarger (G)

Reaction Score

Little help?

Starters/Bench

1. Bueckers 6'0 Fr/ Muhl 5'11 Fr
2. Williams 5'11 Jr/ Makurat 6'1 So
3. Westbrook 6'0 RS Sr/ Griffin 6'1 So/ McClean 5'11 Fr
4. Walker 6'1 Sr/ Edwards 6'3 Fr
5. Nelson-Ododa 6'5 Jr/ Gabriel 6'5 Fr

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Starters/Bench

I know it's very early, and we're talking about next year, but........................if you're the opposition, this list would make your eyes hurt, and give you a headache. Every one of these players are "potential" All-Americans. :eek:

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Rock star? Geno seems more like a Pop Idol like Frankie Valli (calling @Biff ).

View attachment 47426
I did this years ago....but it wasn't Frankie Valli, it was Frankie Avalon.

Geno_frankie.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Updated Bonjour article with more at the link:

She notified Auriemma of her decision last weekend while on campus for First Night.

And then she cried.

“It was a great feeling just to tell him,” Edwards told Hearst Connecticut Media. “I actually just broke down because it’s been a lot going through the process. A lot of decisions that you really don’t think you need to make are necessary to make.

“Just for him to him to kind of give me that hug back and embrace me, and just say, ‘I got you and I’m glad that we got you, and we’re going to do magic together,’ I was just really grateful.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Updated Bonjour article with more at the link:

She notified Auriemma of her decision last weekend while on campus for First Night.

And then she cried.

“It was a great feeling just to tell him,” Edwards told Hearst Connecticut Media. “I actually just broke down because it’s been a lot going through the process. A lot of decisions that you really don’t think you need to make are necessary to make.

“Just for him to him to kind of give me that hug back and embrace me, and just say, ‘I got you and I’m glad that we got you, and we’re going to do magic together,’ I was just really grateful.”

Reading that made me cry.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wonderful news from Crestwood Prep. With the addition of Aaliyah Edwards to an already uber-talented recruiting class, UConn has now secured a complete set: 1 Center, 2 Guards & 2 Forwards. A few random thoughts:
  • Over the past few years, some of us may have felt Geno was losing a step or two after missing on several high-profile recruits. But there are a couple things that we should never forget about Geno: he adapts better than any other WBB coach and he is a fierce competitor. From the moment last season ended Geno and his staff were incredibly active patching up this season’s holes in the roster with talented transfers/international players and then going out and landing 5 really talented players for next year.
  • I also suspect that Paige took it as a personal challenge to land Aaliyah as her teammate. I am already fantasizing about Paige racing down the middle of the court with the ball in her hands, leading a fast break, with Mir on one wing and Aaliyah on the other. SHOWTIME!!!
  • In addition, I suspect that another assist should be handed out to a young lady who also hails from north of the border and was a member of the Canadian National Team while still in HS. To UConn fans, Kia Nurse was a fierce competitor and relentless defender. To Canadians, particularly young WBB players, Kia Nurse is something of a Rock Star.
1. Some folks here and elsewhere thought that Geno had lost it. After Horston, Boston, and Jones went elsewhere, they said UConn was done. This is what Geno said: “We’re going to be out there and we’re going to get good players. They might be now or later, they might be here or overseas, they may be anywhere. But we’re going to have a bunch of good players here next year. That’s for sure. I’m not worried about that.” Starting in early April, Geno landed NINE players in under 7 months: Evina, Evelyn, and Anna for this year (hopefully); Paige, Nika, Mir, Piath, and Aaliyah for next year; and Saylor for the following year. That's VERY impressive.

2. Yes, don't underestimate Paige Bueckers. As part of Showtime, remember that Nika is also a magician with the ball. I can see an Aaliyah-Oop on the fast break.

3. Our hockey-playing "nasty piece of business" is a role model. See Kia Nurse starring at Barclay's Center, along with Tina Charles, Sabrina Ionescu, et al.

4. I can see Liv, Meg, Mir, and Aaliyah playing volleyball on the O boards. Rebounds win championships.

Reaction Score
As usual, well said OD!! :)

Starters/Bench

I think Geno and staff realized the Achilles heel of the teams in recent years was not enough depth on the bench. I think with recruiting now Geno is basically saying we can’t rely on kids who are hard workers but can’t do enough in games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I will admit that I wasn't very optimistic about her decision (before she announced it) because of the way she was announcing it. I just figured if she was going to come to UConn that it would be a quiet announcement, ala Stewie. But...I did watch it, enjoyed her raw emotion and am glad she chose UConn and will not complain about any future fanfare announcements.
Meg had a ceremony, complete with a Husky. Both Liv and Christyn had ceremonies at school.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had not seen the US/CAN championship game so I just watched the game and focused on Aaliyah. Against great competition, she looked very comfortable, particularly on defense, where she was frequently matched up with Pheesa or Lou. Aaliyah has really good footwork and long arms. She will be a very tough defender. On offense, she certainly has some skills. The only thing I'd like to see her do more is to cut hard to the basket, something she will undoubtedly learn when she gets to UConn.

One other thing that really impressed me. Early on in the game, she was introduced to one of Steph's patented, blindside screens that absolutely flattened her. Aaliyah bounced right back up and got back into the game. Not sure if she still had all of her teeth, but it didn't appear to faze her.
I thought that play might cost us a highly desired recruit. ;)

Reaction Score
1. Some folks here and elsewhere thought that Geno had lost it. After Horston, Boston, and Jones went elsewhere, they said UConn was done. This is what Geno said: “We’re going to be out there and we’re going to get good players. They might be now or later, they might be here or overseas, they may be anywhere. But we’re going to have a bunch of good players here next year. That’s for sure. I’m not worried about that.” Starting in early April, Geno landed NINE players in under 7 months: Evina, Evelyn, and Anna for this year (hopefully); Paige, Nika, Mir, Piath, and Aaliyah for next year; and Saylor for the following year. That's VERY impressive.

2. Yes, don't underestimate Paige Bueckers. As part of Showtime, remember that Nika is also a magician with the ball. I can see an Aaliyah-Oop on the fast break.

3. Our hockey-playing "nasty piece of business" is a role model. See Kia Nurse starring at Barclay's Center, along with Tina Charles, Sabrina Ionescu, et al.

4. I can see Liv, Meg, Mir, and Aaliyah playing volleyball on the O boards. Rebounds win championships.
I remember those times vividly for #1. Especially the back and forth between Charlieball and Coco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom