Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewart and EDD's classes wouldn't have overlapped. UConn likely would've won 1-2 more titles, however.
Thanks I should have known that--yet, in my fantasy world I see them whipping the behinds of every NCAA team--including ND, Baylor, SC (however I hoped they'd go easy on SC).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Edwards has tons of athleticism to go along with her length and wingspan. Leveraging her track and field background, she can get to the basket from the perimeter in just a couple strides. And with her ball handling skills that have been refined over the past couple of years beyond just good straight-line takes, but also to incorporate strong drives that use speed that get defenders off balance while armed with a variety of counters that continually keep them guessing. She stays in attack mode on both ends of the floor, is an active rebounder while contesting just about everything in her vicinity by blocking shots and forcing steals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am one who was angered at her departure. We slightly knew her mother and that is one tough and grand woman, if EDD turns out to be half as nice, caring and decent she will do her mother proud. EDD angered me by leaving because she was that much of a talent. The image of EDD and Stewie on the same team still lingers in my brain. Thanks for remembering and thanks for noting it would have been unfair to treat her as a UConn former player.
If EDD had stayed, she would have graduated in 2012, just before Stewie, Mo, and Tuck arrived. But she would have played with Maya and Tina.

Reaction Score
If EDD had stayed, she would have graduated in 2012, just before Stewie, Mo, and Tuck arrived. But she would have played with Maya and Tina.
Can you imagine that team? Having Maya, EDD, and Tina in your starting lineup... then when those three graduate the big three move into town? That would have been an epic run if she stayed.

Reaction Score
Yes, Ontario is a province in Canada that borders on Quebec, the only French speaking province in Canada.....and by the way, the folks in Kingston, Jamaica speak English just like the folks in Kingston, ON. :cool:

Although not really pertinent to this thread I believe you will find that 1/3 of New Brunswick is also French speaking and very proud of it. And now back to our main feature Ms. Edwards.

Reaction Score
So who would you rank ahead of Reese and Van Lith on HoopGurlz that are behind them?
Yes so who do you think should be above them on espn hoopz which by many is regarded as the higest recruiting expert & used by most. Both have continued to show improvement by the videos & inperson play I've seen. Jmo

Reaction Score
I feel they are both overrated, I have been saying as much from the beginning of their recruitment. It has NOTHING to do with where they choose to go to school! By the way, I am not alone, many highly regarded recruiting experts feel the same way I do.
It pains me to hear seventeen-year-olds called overrated. These young girls are just starting life. Give them a chance.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She had arrived at that decision roughly five days before during a visit to Storrs, where she met with the team and took in the spectacle that is First Night.

“I just kind of needed to physically be on the campus and physically be with the girls and be with Coach,” Edwards, a 6-foot-3 wing, said by phone.

Then, just a few weeks later, Auriemma picked up his pursuit at the Final Four in Tampa, Fla., where Edwards was playing at the Next Generation minicamp.
Edwards, who coincidentally was rooming with Muhl, pretty much knew at that point where she wanted to go to college. Last weekend’s trip to campus only reaffirmed her thinking.

“When I came in and visited there, spending time with the girls, seeing who they really are, kind of getting a one-on-one with them, they’re just amazing,” Edwards said. “They’re like-minded people to myself — resilient, relentless. They’ve got that competitive mentality.

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/ctp..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Although not really pertinent to this thread I believe you will find that 1/3 of New Brunswick is also French speaking and very proud of it. And now back to our main feature Ms. Edwards.
I never knew that 1/3 of the people in New Brunswick, NJ speak French. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It pains me to hear seventeen-year-olds called overrated. These young girls are just starting life. Give them a chance.
Then there should not be ratings. They have played three seasons. How much chance do they need. Some are better than their ranking and some are not as good. It's really not that big of a deal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She had arrived at that decision roughly five days before during a visit to Storrs, where she met with the team and took in the spectacle that is First Night.

“I just kind of needed to physically be on the campus and physically be with the girls and be with Coach,” Edwards, a 6-foot-3 wing, said by phone.
Then, just a few weeks later, Auriemma picked up his pursuit at the Final Four in Tampa, Fla., where Edwards was playing at the Next Generation minicamp.
Edwards, who coincidentally was rooming with Muhl, pretty much knew at that point where she wanted to go to college. Last weekend’s trip to campus only reaffirmed her thinking.

“When I came in and visited there, spending time with the girls, seeing who they really are, kind of getting a one-on-one with them, they’re just amazing,” Edwards said. “They’re like-minded people to myself — resilient, relentless. They’ve got that competitive mentality.

Let history show that this was Nika Muhl's first assist with many more to come.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Is this a joke?
Sorry but there are too many "other" general recruitment conversations going on in the midst of what was intended to be a thread about Edwards. We have a dedicated thread for recruiting. We created that thread for the very purpose of focusing recruitment discussion there and keeping those conversations from distracting and confusing other threads.

Please take these conversations of other recruits to that thread and leave this one to discuss Edwards please.

thanks.

Reaction Score
Stewart and EDD's classes wouldn't have overlapped. UConn likely would've won 1-2 more titles, however.
Interesting question. Have a son and daughter that went to UDel and saw EDD play many times. Best player in a lower tier league but many times not dominating throughout entire game. Did just what was needed to win. Suspect much would have depended if she had taken a year off before playing for UConn and what her level of personal motivation was. Much different player prior to entering pros.

Reaction Score
Her whole announcement was a lot of thanking people and programs who helped her along the way. She got emotional when talking about the pride in playing for Team Canada. Got emotional when talking about her family. Said the program she was choosing has everything she wants and needs to help her get thru 4 years of college and grow and improve and move on to the next level.

Also said the program she's choosing can really help her be the person she wants to be and how much she appreciates the coaches and her teammates and thanked them for their interest in her.

The whole auditorium erupted when she announced UCONN...

She strikes me as an incredibly thoughtful and humble kid. We are all going to love her. Welcome to OUR family Aaliyah! Clearly yours has raised a gem!

Wow. Just wow. I'm already looking forward to her post-game interviews. Not to mention her playing for UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question. Have a son and daughter that went to UDel and saw EDD play many times. Best player in a lower tier league but many times not dominating throughout entire game. Did just what was needed to win. Suspect much would have depended if she had taken a year off before playing for UConn and what her level of personal motivation was. Much different player prior to entering pros.
She had and has continued to have serious health issues which have limited her ability to 'dominate' during full seasons for all of her teams. And she is a consummate teammate, so I think playing on a team in college with and against lesser talented players allowed her to often do 'just enough' while being sure to help her teammates to do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom