AAC Tournament Cancelled | Page 10 | The Boneyard

AAC Tournament Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Damn this sucks. 50 people can’t be in an arena to play a basketball game meanwhile keep the kids in school packed into a tight building of 800 students 5 days a week for six hours - that’s logical. Unbelievable this is what I look forward to every March to get us out of the dead ass winter. I mean it was bound to happen but goberts dumb ass got the ball rolling much faster - we might’ve got through the weekend at least and been able to enjoy a few more UConn games - feel so bad for the kids. Was so looking forward to these next few days. I guess I’ll just stare at my walls right now LOL

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
And based on this data - the infection rate in China is something like 0.006%. Clearly there is under-reporting from people that weren't seriously ill from it, but I keep hearing that we are going to get a 70% infection rate in the US - and I just don't see it.

I believe that 70% number is people who will eventually get it over a 2 year period. I'd be curious if there is any data out there what % of the population who does not get the flu shot gets the flu, that could be a potential baseline for figuring out the potential spread for this, and could have been how they came up with that figure. Obviously you'd also have to take into account a good portion of the population gets the flu shot each year, which could reduce the number of carriers / people who can get infected.

I am in no way saying this I the flu, only that it is a viral infection (like the flu is) and the flu could be potential reference point for determining how pervasive this becomes over an extended period of time.

Reaction Score
Damn this sucks. 50 people can’t be in an arena to play a basketball game meanwhile keep the kids in school packed into a tight building of 800 students 5 days a week for six hours - that’s logical. Unbelievable this is what I look forward to every March to get us out of the dead ass winter. I mean it was bound to happen but goberts dumb ass got the ball rolling much faster - we might’ve got through the weekend at least and been able to enjoy a few more UConn games - feel so bad for the kids. Was so looking forward to these next few days. I guess I’ll just stare at my walls right now LOL
I don’t get this. Schools are gonna close.

Reaction Score
The average age of the deceased to date is over 80....and, there have been 38 deaths in the USA so far due to Covid-19. The CDC estimates at least 8,000 U.S. deaths from the flu so far this season. They would not have cancelled the tourneys due to the number of deaths due to the flu, but cancelled it due to 38 deaths due to the Corona Virus? Please keep this in perspective......

The mortality rate for Coronavirus in the U.S is still around 5% right now and it’s considered more contagious than the flu. The mortality rate has remained over 2% in every country with reported outbreaks. Quoting flu statistics is misleading and unproductive. Please keep that in perspective

Reaction Score
I believe that 70% number is people who will eventually get it over a 2 year period.
I think you nailed the answers, but I'm not positive (and I also don't readily trust the 70% number)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I lost my second brother today and now I'm losing the only thing that could've been even a momentary partial distraction. Obviously, this issue is bigger than me, my family, or basketball and they made the right move. Still sucks as far as timing.
Sorry to hear it Joober. You have my condolences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So... here is why we really really need to end mass gatherings:

"Airborne transmission is 'plausible,' according to a study (that has not been peer reviewed) posted online this week from scientists at Princeton University, the University of California, Los Angeles and the National Institutes of Health. The researchers concluded that the virus could remain airborne for “up to 3 hours post aerosolization.”

Apparently, we still don't know very much about transmission.
"Our results indicate that the virus can remain viable in aerosols"

That's it. I'm switching to a deodorant stick.

Reaction Score
Jim Dolan is not the commissioner of the Big East so no he's not making this decision
Got it, thank you. Okay based on google search I see it is Val Ackerman. I do not agree with her decision to continue playing. Or whoever is making the decision. That is my point. This virus is not a joke, and there is a reason everyone is shutting these events down. We have to be smart

Reaction Score
And based on this data - the infection rate in China is something like 0.006%. Clearly there is under-reporting from people that weren't seriously ill from it, but I keep hearing that we are going to get a 70% infection rate in the US - and I just don't see it.

China issued a martial law full quarantine of 16 cities within 2 weeks of discovering the nature of the novel virus. The first patient was diagnosed with symptoms 12 days before the virus was named. So it was about 27 days from patient 0 to full quarantine, when they had about 1000 confirmed tested cases.

A few weeks later they didn't let people leave their home in the quarantined areas. They had robots with loudspeakers issuing orders on the streets. No joke. In some places you needed permits to leave your house and only certain numbers of people could leave at certain times.

The first case in Washington state was January 20th. 52 days ago. We have tested and confirmed 1200 cases, and we've done a worse job of testing than the Chinese. We have community spread transmission across the country at this point.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wish I was better at creating memes.

Your'e all working from home this March
->College Basketball Fans :) :cool:

We're cancelling all the tournament games
->College Basketball Fans :eek::mad:

Reaction Score
Wish I was better at creating memes.

Your'e all working from home this March
->College Basketball Fans :) :cool:

We're cancelling all the tournament games
->College Basketball Fans :eek::mad:

3sc8dl.jpg

Reaction Score
China issued a martial law full quarantine of 16 cities within 2 weeks of discovering the nature of the novel virus. The first patient was diagnosed with symptoms 12 days before the virus was named. So it was about 27 days from patient 0 to full quarantine, when they had about 1000 confirmed tested cases.

They had robots with loudspeakers issuing orders on the streets. No joke.

In some places you needed permits to leave your house and only certain numbers of people could leave at certain times.

The first case in Washington state was January 20th. 52 days ago. We have tested and confirmed 1200 cases, and we've done a worse job of testing than the Chinese. We have community spread transmission across the country at this point.
Italy won't let people leave their house w/o permits now. Young people in their 30's are dying or on intubation. My GF is a nurse and is italian. She has family there. Also I am from Seattle but in Bay Area. Everything is shutting down in both cities here on the West Coast. I planned on flying to Seattle on the 23rd to see my family. Prob not happening now

Reaction Score
Are you saying that SMU, Dallas- Fort Worth, and the state of Texas are going to I invite atheletes from the AAC to play a tournament and not provide the best medical care possible to every student and coach who needs it. It seems unlikely.

These teams have been playing each other for weeks now in jammed packed stadiums. Now a few days later the same guys can't play against each other in an empty stadium.
Why was it safe on Sunday and deadly on Thursday?
I see they didn't cover exponents in your remedial math class.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that SMU, Dallas- Fort Worth, and the state of Texas are going to I invite atheletes from the AAC to play a tournament and not provide the best medical care possible to every student and coach who needs it. It seems unlikely.

These teams have been playing each other for weeks now in jammed packed stadiums. Now a few days later the same guys can't play against each other in an empty stadium.
Why was it safe on Sunday and deadly on Thursday?
What I'm saying is the country does not currently have the resources to test and determine who actually has the virus. So no I don't think the AAC will be able to provide the best medical care for the student and coaches who need it

Reaction Score
Do you understand that the regular influenza that hits has a vaccine, and anti virals that can treat it? And that this virus (it’s in fact called novel because it’s never been seen in man before) doesn’t have a vaccine and anti-virals used for the flu don’t work on it?
So why did 60 million get sick and thousand die from the swine flu? Or don’t facts and statistics matter.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
So why did 60 million get sick and thousand die from the swine flu? Or don’t facts and statistics matter.
Because there wasn’t a vaccine available for swine flu? Are you trolling or just incredibly scientifically illiterate?

Reaction Score
I'm starting to believe like half the population is illiterate.
So a million test kits already provided and another 4 million expected in the next couple days is insufficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom