AAC Media Contract details | Page 9 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
I’m convinced the football thing is really more a personal thing for its supporters. 1.) like anyone, they don’t want to be wrong and 2.) they internalize it to a point of it being a reflection on their/out social standing. And hey. Hard for me to blame them.

Outside of a 5-10% chance at getting a P5 invite there’s literally zero case for keeping football given the broader context of everything.
It’s the folks who want the university to be like the actual big boys of the B1G or SEC and why wouldn’t you wanna be thought of as an elite overall university? Unfortunately due to being to late to the party by about 60 years and being in a region where people don’t worship the state U’s football team continuing this endeavor in this economic climate of college football is detrimental and the admin has shown it hasn’t put its best foot forward. End it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’m convinced the football thing is really more a personal thing for its supporters. 1.) like anyone, they don’t want to be wrong and 2.) they internalize it to a point of it being a reflection on their/out social standing. And hey. Hard for me to blame them.

Outside of a 5-10% chance at getting a P5 invite there’s literally zero case for keeping football given the broader context of everything.

Or maybe people just like college football and UConn?

Reaction Score
Or maybe people just like college football and UConn?
Many people like college football and like UConn. Many people are happy that UConn has a football team. Many people were happy when that program was elevated to FBS and given a shot to succeed.

Many people also don't like the financial pit football has driven UConn into. Many people don't like the embarrassment the football program has become. Many people don't like that football is the sole reason UConn is relegated to this abomination of a conference we are in. Many people don't like how football has been a key contributor to pulling down the status, resources, and success of other programs at the school - namely the two basketball programs, whose success is the sole reason the football program was allowed to move up to FBS.

The two categories above are not mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Sans SNY deal, we're a Big East team soon.
What? There is no SNY in the Big East either, except for maybe some WBB games.

End of the day, I think AAC basketball is trending up and Big East basketball is in a slow, but steady decline. Besides, do you think the UConn leadership and academics want to align long term with a group of primarily small Catholic schools? You do realize that all of the AAC schools are rated as National Universities by US News, but only 6 out of the 10 of the New Big East schools are? Xavier, Providence, Butler, and Creighton are rated as Regional Universities. Remember, the Big East lost most of their best academic schools over time: BC, Syracuse, UConn, Miami, Rutgers, Pitt, VT.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Many people like college football and like UConn. Many people are happy that UConn has a football team. Many people were happy when that program was elevated to FBS and given a shot to succeed.

Many people also don't like the financial pit football has driven UConn into. Many people don't like the embarrassment the football program has become. Many people don't like that football is the sole reason UConn is relegated to this abomination of a conference we are in. Many people don't like how football has been a key contributor to pulling down the status, resources, and success of other programs at the school - namely the two basketball programs, whose success is the sole reason the football program was allowed to move up to FBS.

The two categories above are not mutually exclusive.

Football has brought down the men's basketball program? Good to know, I'll let AD Dave known we can forget about the whole Hurley thing and bring back KO. BTW speaking of Hurley, how has the football program stopped UConn from paying $3M for the men's hoops coach? Oh wait. It hasn't.

There's probably a lot of reasons to drop football. But some bizarre psychoanalysis of the fanbase or KO not doing his job for 3 seasons aren't one of them.

Btw - the real sport that should be cut is hockey if we want to talk about sports that tank the budget.

Reaction Score
What? There is no SNY in the Big East either, except for maybe some WBB games.

End of the day, I think AAC basketball is trending up and Big East basketball is in a slow, but steady decline. Besides, do you think the UConn leadership and academics want to align long term with a group of primarily small Catholic schools? You do realize that all of the AAC schools are rated as National Universities by US News, but only 6 out of the 10 of the New Big East schools are? Xavier, Providence, Butler, and Creighton are rated as Regional Universities. Remember, the Big East lost most of their best academic schools over time: BC, Syracuse, UConn, Miami, Rutgers, Pitt, VT.

I'm not going 15 rounds with people again, but everything in this post is just silly.

1.) You're in a league with a Methodist University and basically the South's second best academic school (arguably). Then there's Wichita State and Memphis and Cincinnati - which are essentially commuter schools. And what you're worried about is how our university structure lines up with catholic schools?

2.) Villanova? Pretty good school. Providence? Pretty good school. Georgetown? Fantastic school. Creighton? Pseudo Midwestern Ivy.

3.) While being academically compatible is preferred, when you're losing your shirt - people stop caring. And our best growth was existing in a conference. With those types of schools. And zero prospective students are chewing their nails off over 'regional' vs 'national' and even if they were, they're not NOT choosing us because of our affiliations in sports ball.

And lastly, there's no such thing as 'trending up' in a conference like this. Every notable coach who had success this year is being looked at for other jobs. Every member in the conference wants to leave it sans the dregs. Some might. There's zero stability here. You're not in a good spot, you're standing on a trap door.

Reaction Score
Football has brought down the men's basketball program? Good to know, I'll let AD Dave known we can forget about the whole Hurley thing and bring back KO. BTW speaking of Hurley, how has the football program stopped UConn from paying $3M for the men's hoops coach? Oh wait. It hasn't.

There's probably a lot of reasons to drop football. But some bizarre psychoanalysis of the fanbase or KO not doing his job for 3 seasons aren't one of them.

Btw - the real sport that should be cut is hockey if we want to talk about sports that tank the budget.
Did you miss the "key contributor to pulling down the status...of the two basketball programs" part of my post? Nowhere does it say "sole reason" for that.

Most recent numbers I can find are for FY 2014, the program's first in Hockey East - Men's Hockey had expenditures of ~$1.35M. Football had ~$15.4M. Of course football will generate more revenue, but if you're looking for a sacrificial lamb that's bringing the financial ship down, it's not the hockey program.

https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

Reaction Score
I'm not going 15 rounds with people again, but everything in this post is just silly.

1.) You're in a league with a Methodist University and basically the South's second best academic school (arguably). Then there's Wichita State and Memphis and Cincinnati - which are essentially commuter schools. And what you're worried about is how our university structure lines up with catholic schools?

2.) Villanova? Pretty good school. Providence? Pretty good school. Georgetown? Fantastic school. Creighton? Pseudo Midwestern Ivy.

3.) While being academically compatible is preferred, when you're losing your shirt - people stop caring. And our best growth was existing in a conference. With those types of schools. And zero prospective students are chewing their nails off over 'regional' vs 'national' and even if they were, they're not NOT choosing us because of our affiliations in sports ball.

And lastly, there's no such thing as 'trending up' in a conference like this. Every notable coach who had success this year is being looked at for other jobs. Every member in the conference wants to leave it sans the dregs. Some might. There's zero stability here. You're not in a good spot, you're standing on a trap door.
Are you talking about Tulane when you say the South's second best academic school?

This board is bizarre how much it inflates Tulane's academics, it's nowhere near the second best academic school in the South. My brother went to Vandy and Tulane is a major safety school for people who apply to Vandy and the other top Southern schools. It's a good school but this board has turned it into an Ivy.

Reaction Score
Did you miss the "key contributor to pulling down the status...of the two basketball programs" part of my post? Nowhere does it say "sole reason" for that.

Most recent numbers I can find are for FY 2014, the program's first in Hockey East - Men's Hockey had expenditures of ~$1.35M. Football had ~$15.4M. Of course football will generate more revenue, but if you're looking for a sacrificial lamb that's bringing the financial ship down, it's not the hockey program.

https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

A friend of mine in athletics joked to me one time that the only reason the new hockey arena was being built was so that on paper the hockey team wouldn't pass football in average attendance.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about Tulane when you say the South's second best academic school?

This board is bizarre how much it inflates Tulane's academics, it's nowhere near the second best academic school in the South. My brother went to Vandy and Tulane is a major safety school for people who apply to Vandy and the other top Southern schools. It's a good school but this board has turned it into an Ivy.
It's like no one has ever heard of Georgia Tech.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

As I said, there are a lot of valid reasons to kill football. One of which is not the fact that Kevin Ollie sleptwalked through the last 3 seasons of his tenure here and let the program fall to shambles. Football isn't remotely responsible for that.

Reaction Score

Sure. Fine. I don't care, honestly. It's a good school.

So is Temple. But my point more is that we don't share a lot in common with them either.

Vanderbilt is probably the best academic school down there, who'd be second I mean, I dunno. I don't care lol

Reaction Score
Just looked it up for people who care.

Vanderbilt #14
Emory#21
Wake Forest #27
Georgia Tech is #35
Tulane is #44.

So, whatever. They're ranked above Wisconsin, Texas, Villanova, RPI, Lehigh, Syracuse and us - so it's not a dumb dumb school.

Reaction Score
So for those of you that want to drop football, it seems to be driven by the fact that football is losing UConn $$. So by that same argument if UConn cuts football and the AD is still running a deficit (which it will be) do you cut men’s basketball next? That was the 2nd biggest loser.

Reaction Score

Well, here are the US News rankings:

AAC:
44 Tulane, 59 SMU, 63 UConn, 106 Temple, 106 Tulsa, 124 USF, 147 Cinci, 165 UCF, 171 Houston, 194 ECU, 230 to 301 Memphis, 230 to 301 Wichita St. + Navy which is a top school.

Big East:
22 Georgetown, 49 Villanova, 89 Marquetter, 119 DePaul, 119 Seton Hall, 152 St. Johns, NR Butler, NR Creighton, NR Providence, NR Xavier.

Plus, most AAC schools have med schools and only 2 Big East schools do.

As for basketball coaches in the AAC, pay them. Gregg Marshall make $3.5 million at Wichita St. for example. Let's see if Houston keeps Sampson.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Well, here are the US News rankings:

AAC:
44 Tulane, 59 SMU, 63 UConn, 106 Temple, 106 Tulsa, 124 USF, 147 Cinci, 165 UCF, 171 Houston, 194 ECU, 230 to 301 Memphis, 230 to 301 Wichita St. + Navy which is a top school.

Big East:
22 Georgetown, 49 Villanova, 89 Marquetter, 119 DePaul, 119 Seton Hall, 152 St. Johns, NR Butler, NR Creighton, NR Providence, NR Xavier.

Plus, most AAC schools have med schools and only 2 Big East schools do.

As for basketball coaches in the AAC, pay them. Gregg Marshall make $3.5 million at Wichita St. for example. Let's see if Houston keeps Sampson.
Lmfao Creighton goes from a “Midwestern Ivy” to not even included in national rankings (its a regional school in the rankings)

People will say/convince themselves of anything in order to “prove” their point

Reaction Score
Lmfao Creighton goes from a “Midwestern Ivy” to not even included in national rankings (its a regional school in the rankings)

LOL

Reaction Score

You just did something crazier than he did.

Creighton is a Midwestern Ivy. Okaaaaay. Lulz.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wonder why ESPN actively wants to end the sports program of the flagship program in it's state? Maybe they don't like the taxes, maybe they think the fans are ungrateful. None of it makes much sense. ESPN + state officials + UConn officials should have easily gotten us into a P5 instead, we have a landing page on ESPN+.

Because ESPN is managed largely by Syracuse alums.

Reaction Score
You just did something crazier than he did.

Creighton is a Midwestern Ivy. Okaaaaay. Lulz.

Creighton IS a really good school, though.

And generally speaking, the schools in the NBE are academic brands that UConn would and should want to be associated with.

SMU and Tulane are great schools but UConn by and large is not going after the same perspective students as they are.

UConn on the other hand is competing with Villanova, PC and even Gtown (in state tuition baby!) for the some of the top students in the northeast

Reaction Score
Creighton IS a really good school, though.

And generally speaking, the schools in the NBE are academic brands that UConn would and should want to be associated with.

SMU and Tulane are great schools but UConn by and large is not going after the same perspective students as they are.

UConn on the other hand is competing with Villanova, PC and even Gtown (in state tuition baby!) for the some of the top students in the northeast

It's the #1 regional university in the midwest

It's the #2 teaching school *in the country*

It's the #1 school for veterans

Their med school as a 2.6% acceptance rate.

But I guess if people don't want to be associated with a dump like that and would rather hang out with academic powerhouses like Wichita St, what can you do?

Serious note: we probably have more in common with the Big East schools you just mentioned than maybe anyone in our own conference.

More serious note: I really don't think anyone even cares at this point - it's one of those 'find anything to keep this thread going until I figure out something else' things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom