AAC Media Contract details | Page 10 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
Creighton IS a really good school, though.

And generally speaking, the schools in the NBE are academic brands that UConn would and should want to be associated with.

SMU and Tulane are great schools but UConn by and large is not going after the same perspective students as they are.

UConn on the other hand is competing with Villanova, PC and even Gtown (in state tuition baby!) for the some of the top students in the northeast
Calling Creighton a Midwest Ivy is like calling
It's the #1 regional university in the midwest

It's the #2 teaching school *in the country*

It's the #1 school for veterans

Their med school as a 2.6% acceptance rate.

But I guess if people don't want to be associated with a dump like that and would rather hang out with academic powerhouses like Wichita St, what can you do?

Serious note: we probably have more in common with the Big East schools you just mentioned than maybe anyone in our own conference.

More serious note: I really don't think anyone even cares at this point - it's one of those 'find anything to keep this thread going until I figure out something else' things.
I just like for people to be accurate. Calling Tulane the second best school in the South and Creighton a Midwestern Ivy are ridiculous statements. You don't have to make ridiculous statements to prove your point, it actually detracts from the point you're trying to make.

Reaction Score
Meta question: are Herbst and Benidict continuing to release critical statements about the tv contract simply because they recognize the positive feed back they’re getting from alum and fans?

Reaction Score
Calling Creighton a Midwest Ivy is like calling
I just like for people to be accurate. Calling Tulane the second best school in the South and Creighton a Midwestern Ivy are ridiculous statements. You don't have to make ridiculous statements to prove your point, it actually detracts from the point you're trying to make.

First, this is the last post i'm making on this, because it's so irrelevant and such a waste of time to compare academic credentials and prestige when you're a school in the same conference as Wichita State and Memphis that I want to crack my face off the wall, but...

Tulane is a top 5 or 6 national university below he mason-dixon line. It's one of the best schools in the south. There's 9 slots in the rankings between it and Georgia Tech. It's not a ludicrous comparison on any level.

And if people are that offended at the idea that Creighton is a better conference partner than East Carolina academically because of.... really any reason, then i'm all ears.

Reaction Score
Meta question: are Herbst and Benidict continuing to release critical statements about the tv contract simply because they recognize the positive feed back they’re getting from alum and fans?

No it's because everything's awesome and football!

Reaction Score
First, this is the last post i'm making on this, because it's so irrelevant and such a waste of time to compare academic credentials and prestige when you're a school in the same conference as Wichita State and Memphis that I want to crack my face off the wall, but...

Tulane is a top 5 or 6 national university below he mason-dixon line. It's one of the best schools in the south. There's 9 slots in the rankings between it and Georgia Tech. It's not a ludicrous comparison on any level.

And if people are that offended at the idea that Creighton is a worse conference partner than East Carolina academically because of.... really any reason, then i'm all ears.
What don't you get about they are ridiculous statements? You said Tulane is the second best school in the South (arguably) and the other guy said Creighton is a Midwestern Ivy. No matter how hard you try and spin you can't make things that are untrue into things that are true. You can point to a dog and call it a cat but no matter how hard you try and convince someone it's a cat it will always be a dog. I'm so friggin' sick of gaslighting, it's everywhere nowadays.

I didn't say anything about Creighton as a great partner or a bad partner. I'm just calling out things that are not true.

You make some good points on here but this kind of spin game detracts from all the good stuff you say.

Reactions: Siv
Reaction Score
No it's because everything's awesome and football!

LOL Townes007, I thought you were a Baseball guy!!

You were talking about all the managers you've worked for.. bla bla bla.. ;)

Impressive...

You AREN’T impressed that ECU is leading the league?? Hmmmmmmm

Well, Creighton DOES lead the New Big East... but they are the 18th ranked league!!! (lulz)

(The AAC is just the #5 ranked conference as of posting time, baseball dude)

Psssst,,, Weren’t you hyping up NBE baseball? ⚾️

You knew Scott Googins personally!! LOL

Attachments

• 0DEC2F69-A001-4AF4-8E86-045E322DCC60.png
    0DEC2F69-A001-4AF4-8E86-045E322DCC60.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL Townes, I thought you were a Baseball guy.

You AREN’T impressed that ECU is leading the league??

Well, Creighton DOES lead the New Big East... but they are the 18th ranked league... lulz

(The AAC is just #5, baseball dude)

Psssst,,, Weren’t you hyping up NBE baseball? ⚾️

The ironic part about realignment is it’s been great for the AAC schools in baseball. Like... really great.

Conference was what in RPI a year or two ago? #2 or something? Not that it matters much but it’s an awesome baseball league so no from me on that front.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@nomar - the AAC is .0014 ahead of the Missouri Valley in Baseball RPI.

Delete your account.

Reaction Score
What don't you get about they are ridiculous statements? You said Tulane is the second best school in the South (arguably) and the other guy said Creighton is a Midwestern Ivy. No matter how hard you try and spin you can't make things that are untrue into things that are true. You can point to a dog and call it a cat but no matter how hard you try and convince someone it's a cat it will always be a dog. I'm so friggin' sick of gaslighting, it's everywhere nowadays.

I didn't say anything about Creighton as a great partner or a bad partner. I'm just calling out things that are not true.

You make some good points on here but this kind of spin game detracts from all the good stuff you say.

There’s literally what - four or five southern schools ranked ahead of it? No ones gaslighting anything. And given the context of the conversation I’m not really even sure why people are fighting about this. It’s literally looking for something to fight about.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The American events on ESPN+ will begin with the start of the new agreement, with the direct-to-consumer service offering more than 500 conference controlled events in 2020-21 with nearly 400 of those events being football, men’s and women’s basketball and American sponsored Olympic sports championships.

??
This is kind of how I feel right now:

"I understand what that means. What does that mean, Hal?"
"We're going to have a lot of our games on ESPN+"
"What did we do wrong? We did nothing wrong"

"YOU can't handle the truth!!!"

Reaction Score
There’s literally what - four or five southern schools ranked ahead of it? No ones gaslighting anything. And given the context of the conversation I’m not really even sure why people are fighting about this. It’s literally looking for something to fight about.
It's gaslighting when you're still trying to spin and make something that's untrue into a truth. Tulane is probably somewhere around the 20th best school in the South, it's a very good school but a safety school for the people applying to Duke, Vandy, UVA. It would be like me saying UConn is just as good as University of Michigan. It's not.

Reaction Score
Wrong. There are 2 options, and 2 options only. We wait until 2023-2025 when all the major conference deals are up and one of the following two things happen:

1) The major conferences break off from the NCAA because it is a useless organization that takes away millions of dollars from the conferences/schools to do one thing very poorly; govern student athletes. The CFP is not run by the NCAA, so why do we need them to run the b-ball tourney? We dont.

2) That doesnt happen and we drop football and move to BE.

We must remain in the AAC until 2023-2025 and pray that number 1 happens and we get an invite to that. Having football is our only chance at getting the invite to join the big boys. Now we just sit and pray.

We are praying for a miracle because the Football team is terrible

Reaction Score
budget is flirting with a death spiral is so unpractical and frankly tone deaf, I'm not even sure where to begin.
I'm not going 15 rounds with people again, but everything in this post is just silly.

1.) You're in a league with a Methodist University and basically the South's second best academic school (arguably). Then there's Wichita State and Memphis and Cincinnati - which are essentially commuter schools. And what you're worried about is how our university structure lines up with catholic schools?

2.) Villanova? Pretty good school. Providence? Pretty good school. Georgetown? Fantastic school. Creighton? Pseudo Midwestern Ivy.

3.) While being academically compatible is preferred, when you're losing your shirt - people stop caring. And our best growth was existing in a conference. With those types of schools. And zero prospective students are chewing their nails off over 'regional' vs 'national' and even if they were, they're not NOT choosing us because of our affiliations in sports ball.

And lastly, there's no such thing as 'trending up' in a conference like this. Every notable coach who had success this year is being looked at for other jobs. Every member in the conference wants to leave it sans the dregs. Some might. There's zero stability here. You're not in a good spot, you're standing on a trap door.

Sampson to Arkansas and Dawkins to Vanderbilt. Note it.

Reaction Score
So for those of you that want to drop football, it seems to be driven by the fact that football is losing UConn $$. So by that same argument if UConn cuts football and the AD is still running a deficit (which it will be) do you cut men’s basketball next? That was the 2nd biggest loser.

No, because if we drop our disaster of a football program we go back to the big east where we don't have to travel crazy amounts to play away games. Attendance gets an uptick because we are with good basketball schools.

Reaction Score
@nomar - the AAC is .0014 ahead of the Missouri Valley in Baseball RPI.

Delete your account.

The MVC is a good baseball league.

I just looked, the AAC has been 4th in conference RPI the last 2 years. Ahead of the PAC 12 both years. So.

It's gaslighting when you're still trying to spin and make something that's untrue into a truth. Tulane is probably somewhere around the 20th best school in the South, it's a very good school but a safety school for the people applying to Duke, Vandy, UVA. It would be like me saying UConn is just as good as University of Michigan. It's not.

Literally go look at the rankings for national universities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulane is a good school...#44 in USNWR...

In the south...behind Duke, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, UNC, GT, and U of F in USNWR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The MVC is a good baseball league.

I just looked, the AAC has been 4th in conference RPI the last 2 years. Ahead of the PAC 12 both years. So.

Literally go look at the rankings for national universities.

I was making light of conference baseball rpi. If AAC fever means caring about that where is the vaccine line.

Reaction Score
To be...or not to be. That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them?

Drop football and the choice is not to be...

Building back programs to compete and win conference championships over UCF, Houston, Memphis, et al is to take up arms against a sea of troubles.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The way I see it, there are 3 scenarios that UConn could consider:

1) Stay in the AAC. Slowly bleed out and die. Football is likely already dead, if Hurley is as good as we hope, we probably can retain some relevance for awhile. Women's hoops is buried as soon as Geno retires.

2) Drop football. Move Sports to the Big East. I think the Big East would welcome a UConn addition less a football program as they know there's no shot of them leaving and league maintains its cohesiveness. It's not the old league, but probably still has enough juice to keep hoops relevant, plus MSG come March.

3) Drop football. Move Sports to the ACC. No idea if the ACC would even consider this, but without our anchor of football, I think it could be mutually agreeable. I think season tickets for hoops would skyrocket given Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, etc., etc., etc. would be on the slate.

I think football independence is a non-starter given that the Big East or ACC won't take UConn as long as it fields a football program.

At this point, I think it's probably: AAC 49.99%, Big East/Drop Football 49.99%, ACC/Drop Football .02%.

We're not dropping or downgrading football anytime soon, if what the incoming president says is accurate. We're a flagship state university. I can't think of any others that don't have a football program at some level.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
You need fans though. Cable pays the bills. All these schools except for UCF are in huge sports markets dominated by other schools.

I've lived in the Orlando TV market. UCF is dwarfed by the Gators in its own market. The only big market AAC school that dominates its own market, other than us, is Memphis.

Reaction Score
Tulane is a good school...#44 in USNWR...

In the south...behind Duke, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, UNC, GT, and U of F in USNWR.

They’re behind Emory, too.

So 10th best school. Pretty good.

Georgia Tech is wild to me. I felt like when I was in school, it was known as a huge huge dumb dumb school. But I also drank a lot back then so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom