AAC Media Contract details | Page 8 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
If you think the AAC contract is bad, look at the Big East TV contract. FOX broadcasts the Big East and they get "at least 17 games on FOX", but those include OOC matches like Louisville at Seton Hall, Gonzaga at Creighton, Wisconsin at Marquette,... Most of the games are on FS1 or FS2 with a number on Fox Sports Networks (regional sports networks). The result is ratings aren't good for Big East basketball averaging probably half the viewership of a typical ESPN game.

Women's basketball has even less exposure on FOX and the sports networks. Most games end up on the "Big East Digital Network", in other words streaming. It would appear that SNY could grab a bunch of women's basketball games to keep that relationship alive.

Moving to the Big East would ensure a drop of viewership and would probably eliminate the SNY relationship with men's basketball (as well as football), but probably keep the women't basketball relationship.

Reaction Score
ESPN is approaching their new revenue building platforms much differently between how they feature the AAC and ACC.

The AAC content is being used as an enticement to have customers sign up for $4.99 to access the content on ESPN+.

The ACCN is being bundled with other Disney/ESPN properties and folks pay for it whether they want it, or will watch it, because it is part of their cable/streaming package.

I am moderately optimistic about ESPN+ growth.......Right now, ESPN has an incentive to maintain content on the ESPN linear channels because they earn more. But that might not always be true.

The $4.99 per could be a start up, get subscribers, cost and the charge could escalate to be competitive with linear charges.

Of course, what Disney really wants is to have you subscribe to ESPN and then buy ESPN+ for its extra programming.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notice where all of those sports programs sit in the country, not sure if it’s coincidence but those places have huge sports markets. Houston also is the BSD in this conference, their sports are good they have a ton of money what Houston wants Houston gets.

You need fans though. Cable pays the bills. All these schools except for UCF are in huge sports markets dominated by other schools.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
what no join big ten in 2023?

Sshh. I've been assured the Big10 invite is in the works, we just need to build up field hockey and club lacrosse for #content on B1G network.

If you think the AAC contract is bad, look at the Big East TV contract. FOX broadcasts the Big East and they get "at least 17 games on FOX", but those include OOC matches like Louisville at Seton Hall, Gonzaga at Creighton, Wisconsin at Marquette,... Most of the games are on FS1 or FS2 with a number on Fox Sports Networks (regional sports networks). The result is ratings aren't good for Big East basketball averaging probably half the viewership of a typical ESPN game.

Women's basketball has even less exposure on FOX and the sports networks. Most games end up on the "Big East Digital Network", in other words streaming. It would appear that SNY could grab a bunch of women's basketball games to keep that relationship alive.

Moving to the Big East would ensure a drop of viewership and would probably eliminate the SNY relationship with men's basketball (as well as football), but probably keep the women't basketball relationship.

The Big East's ratings may currently stink, but the league has a buzz at least and is viewed as a top flight league nationally. Fox seems to be all in on sports content as well, to which I'd rather align myself with a network partner that is completely invested in making the league succeed, as opposed to a network partner is using us as a sacrificial lamb to try and get their online network going.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Quotes from Susie. “It’s not about technology,” Herbst said. “Our fan base is of course sophisticated in the ways of digital media. But exposure on ‘linear’ (traditional, cable) television is vitally important to us because many Husky fans gather to watch UConn basketball as a social event — when traveling, in restaurants or bars, or in the living room with family and friends. Right now, wherever I am, I can tune in easily and see our student-athletes in action. We do not want our amazing Husky fan lifestyle disrupted. Period.”

UConn president Susan Herbst on AAC/ESPN deal: “We do not want our amazing Husky fan lifestyle disrupted. Period.”

Reaction Score
Quotes from Susie. “It’s not about technology,” Herbst said. “Our fan base is of course sophisticated in the ways of digital media. But exposure on ‘linear’ (traditional, cable) television is vitally important to us because many Husky fans gather to watch UConn basketball as a social event — when traveling, in restaurants or bars, or in the living room with family and friends. Right now, wherever I am, I can tune in easily and see our student-athletes in action. We do not want our amazing Husky fan lifestyle disrupted. Period.”

UConn president Susan Herbst on AAC/ESPN deal: “We do not want our amazing Husky fan lifestyle disrupted. Period.”

Whoa.

Maybe my biggest take away is that Herbst actually acknowledged that booze and bars exist

Reaction Score
The last AAC contract gave the tier 3 rights to the league. However the women’s deal with SNY predated that contract.

Initially the money went to the league and was split, a few years in UConn lobbied and got the money back for themselves.

There wasn’t any doubt to me that at the end of that SNY deal those right ls were going back to the league - as most of these schools have rights worth 0 and this gets them a UConn subsidy.

Thank you for that clear explanation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is key. As I mentioned about "best alternative", does everyone understand that the Big East wouldn't let us keep T3 SNY broadcasts either? Or that the Big East gets even less "linear" exposure than we would and a worse streaming option? The NBE TV deal is truly awful.

Going to the Big East results in an even worse situation than this one. For what it's worth, the Big 12 is the only major conference with school owned T3 rights. It was a great fit for us in that way.

What I think UConn may consider here, if possible, is buying back the T3 rights from ESPN and cutting our deal with SNY. But that doesn't change the linear broadcasting concern.

Reaction Score

I get the sentiment but her word choices have always been so infantile. Can't wait til she's gone

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is key. As I mentioned about "best alternative", does everyone understand that the Big East wouldn't let us keep T3 SNY broadcasts either? Or that the Big East gets even less "linear" exposure than we would and a worse streaming option? The NBE TV deal is truly awful.

Going to the Big East results in an even worse situation than this one. For what it's worth, the Big 12 is the only major conference with school owned T3 rights. It was a great fit for us in that way.

What I think UConn may consider here, if possible, is buying back the T3 rights from ESPN and cutting our deal with SNY. But that doesn't change the linear broadcasting concern.

But if they are willing to sell them to UConn why would they sell them to UConn for less than what SNY would pay - which is the same amount UConn could sell them to SNY for...

Which means it’s a net zero financially for UConn.

Reaction Score
What exactly did she say that was infantile?
I read this

We do not want our amazing Husky fan lifestyle disrupted

and cringe. You're an adult. Talk like one. Certainly there's a better way to phrase that.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, there are 3 scenarios that UConn could consider:

1) Stay in the AAC. Slowly bleed out and die. Football is likely already dead, if Hurley is as good as we hope, we probably can retain some relevance for awhile. Women's hoops is buried as soon as Geno retires.

2) Drop football. Move Sports to the Big East. I think the Big East would welcome a UConn addition less a football program as they know there's no shot of them leaving and league maintains its cohesiveness. It's not the old league, but probably still has enough juice to keep hoops relevant, plus MSG come March.

3) Drop football. Move Sports to the ACC. No idea if the ACC would even consider this, but without our anchor of football, I think it could be mutually agreeable. I think season tickets for hoops would skyrocket given Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, etc., etc., etc. would be on the slate.

I think football independence is a non-starter given that the Big East or ACC won't take UConn as long as it fields a football program.

At this point, I think it's probably: AAC 49.99%, Big East/Drop Football 49.99%, ACC/Drop Football .02%.
Wrong. There are 2 options, and 2 options only. We wait until 2023-2025 when all the major conference deals are up and one of the following two things happen:

1) The major conferences break off from the NCAA because it is a useless organization that takes away millions of dollars from the conferences/schools to do one thing very poorly; govern student athletes. The CFP is not run by the NCAA, so why do we need them to run the b-ball tourney? We dont.

2) That doesnt happen and we drop football and move to BE.

We must remain in the AAC until 2023-2025 and pray that number 1 happens and we get an invite to that. Having football is our only chance at getting the invite to join the big boys. Now we just sit and pray.

Reaction Score
Wrong. There are 2 options, and 2 options only. We wait until 2023-2025 when all the major conference deals are up and one of the following two things happen:

1) The major conferences break off from the NCAA because it is a useless organization that takes away millions of dollars from the conferences/schools to do one thing very poorly; govern student athletes. The CFP is not run by the NCAA, so why do we need them to run the b-ball tourney? We dont.

We must remain in the AAC until 2023-2025 and pray that number 1 happens and we get an invite to that. Having football is our only chance at getting the invite to join the big boys. Now we just sit and pray.
I used to think that until I realized that no one is ever coming to save us. Might as well end it now.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score

Yeah I agree with all of that. UConn needs to actually spend money on a legit football coach though. It's now or never, 2023 is right around the corner. They can't expect to make a hire the year before and expect an invite from anyone.

Reaction Score

And way less money on top of that.

Reaction Score

We’ve been over this before, #1 is not a serious possibility. The NCAA may cease to exist or become a powerless figure head, but the “big schools” will never (officially) break away competitively from the “smaller schools.” It is a legal nightmare and a political impossibility.

Reaction Score
No need to "break away".....they have already an "autonomous group".

They just further refine that.

I submit that the breakaway has already happened...in media contracts, in distribution of CFP money, and now basketball tournament money.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with all of that. UConn needs to actually spend money on a legit football coach though. It's now or never, 2023 is right around the corner. They can't expect to make a hire the year before and expect an invite from anyone.

Spend what money we are upgrading softball fields.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I agree with @JMick here. At this point I'm not even sure of which is less likely, the football team ever winning 8 games or the ACC somehow saving the AD.

Reaction Score
They're not going to spend anymore money on football. While it seems shortsighted, spending more money on football when you have a $40 million deficit at a state university where the state's economy and budget is flirting with a death spiral is so unpractical and frankly tone deaf, I'm not even sure where to begin.

And that's a significant investment for what, basically? A 5% shot we get a call from a P5 conference *in the next 3 years*? While you never say never, a P5 invite is so unlikely at this point that it isn't worth the investment. That's basically what the 'invest in football' crowd is trying to sell, here. And that's *assuming* a P5 conference even WANTS to expand.

So you need there to actually be a real, legitimate reason for expansion which right now given how quickly the gap erupted between them and the G5, it makes more sense to poach each other's members than it does to grab anything from the AAC - so just being in this conference already bumps you further back in the line automatically. Then you're competing against everyone else - and we're going to do that WITHOUT the NYC TV contract? It's like thinking you've got a shot to win the Super Bowl, even though you aren't a player on each team and you're ticket is in the upper bowl.

And it's been said before - the University can't keep up with this spending. Period. There isn't three more years without SNY and even with it... there's probably not three more years.

Reaction Score
Anyone still pinning all their hope on the p5 dream are just trying to convince themselves it’s a possibility so they can drown out the drop football noise. It’s not a possibility. They just don’t want their football team taken away and that is totally understandable.

Reaction Score
Anyone still pinning all their hope on the p5 dream are just trying to convince themselves it’s a possibility so they can drown out the drop football noise. It’s not a possibility. They just don’t want their football team taken away and that is totally understandable.

I’m convinced the football thing is really more a personal thing for its supporters. 1.) like anyone, they don’t want to be wrong and 2.) they internalize it to a point of it being a reflection on their/out social standing. And hey. Hard for me to blame them.

Outside of a 5-10% chance at getting a P5 invite there’s literally zero case for keeping football given the broader context of everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom