AAC Media Contract details | Page 12 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
Not so much. Do you know the current Big East teams?
View attachment 41530
Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Indian and Ohio aren't exactly the bus trips are they? Note that all the Big East are privates and all but one are Catholic institutions. We are not a good fit for this conference at all.

Their game are broadcast on FS1 and FS2 so the exposure is bad and they make less money than we do.

But other than that, it's a great decision mothball our stadium and Shenkman and Burton and guarantee that we won't be a P5 institution.

Geesh I am so tired of the uninformed droning on about this.

Lets look at the facts if you want uninformed droning look to yourself.

AAC Travel Schedule
UConn to Houston: 1,890 Miles (Flight)
UConn to Tulsa 1,546 Miles (FLight)
UConn to Dallas 1,729 Miles (Flight)
UConn to New Orleans 1,454 Miles (Flight)
UConn to Memphis 1,277 Miles (FLight)
UConn to Wichita St- 1,596 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Tampa FL-1,277 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Orlando-1,220 Miles (Flight)
UConn to ECU-648 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Cincy-788 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Philadelphia-234 Miles(Bus)
Total Miles-13,659 Miles Traveled (10 Flights 1 Bus)

Big East Basketball Travel
UConn to Cincy-788 Miles (Flight)
UConn to Washington DC-365 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Providence-55 Miles(Bus)
UConn to NYC-146 Miles(Bus)
UConn to Prudential Center(Seton Hall)-151 Miles(Bus)
UConn to Milwaukee-1007 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Chicago-950 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Indianapolis-917 Miles(Flight)
UConn to Omaha-1472 Miles(Flight)
Total Miles Traveled-9,532 Miles(4 Bus Trips and 6 Flights)

So again facts we have less travel in total miles, save money with fewer flights and get in a better basketball conference. I guess facts are uninformed since they don't fit your narrative of everything is fine with trying to chase P5 dream that will never come and keep us in this god awful conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

AAC Travel Schedule

So again facts we have less travel in total miles, save money with fewer flights and get in a better basketball conference. I guess facts are uninformed since they don't fit your narrative of everything is fine with trying to chase P5 dream that will never come and keep us in this god awful conference.
Lol are you seriously suggesting that we should take less money and put our games on channels that either no cares about or no one knows where there are so that we can travel to 3 more opponents by bus? That's really your best argument?

Reaction Score
But you missed the main points of my post. The benefit of the nominal travel savings are entirely outweighed by the smaller media contract, much, much smaller exposure being on FS1 and FS2 and by the de facto admission that we consider ourselves a mid major by joining a league of small, private and largely Catholic schools.[/QUOTE]

Good basketball opponents and good games will draw people in. You also seem to forget that the Big East is considered in the P6 while the AAC isn't even that.

Reaction Score
Before you call others uninformed, check the facts:

Average distance from Storrs to a Big East opponent: 591.6 miles
Average distance from Storrs to a AAC opponent: 1,214 miles

A full travel schedule in the Big East (1 game at each opponent in 20-game round robin) would be 5,916 total miles.
A full travel schedule in the AAC (what UConn played this year) was 10,081 total miles, or 1,120 miles per trip.

Neither total factors in distance to the conference tournament, which adds another ~1,700 miles to Dallas, ~1,200 miles to Memphis or Orlando in the AAC, or ~135 to MSG in the Big East.

8 AAC opponents are >1000 miles away
2 Big East opponents are >1000 miles away

5 Big East opponents (half the league) are under 400 miles away and are bussable.
1 AAC opponent is under 600 miles away and is bussable.

There are 5 AAC opponents further than the furthest Big East opponent.
There are 8 AAC opponents further than the 2 furthest Big East opponents.

In sum, there is absolutely zero truth to the talking point that the travel problem in the AAC would not be significantly helped in the Big East.

I don't know if anyone brought this up. They now travel by plane. These are not bus trips like the old Yankee Conference. So the alleged travel issue is greatly overstated.

Reaction Score

AAC Travel Schedule

CL82 will tell you the sky is green instead of blue and argue it to the death. Next will come the strawman.

Reaction Score
Lol are you seriously suggesting that we should take less money and put our games on channels that either no cares about or no one knows where there are so that we can travel to 3 more opponents by bus? That's really your best argument?

I was just pointing out your erroneous statement that travel is just as bad in the Big East.

Reaction Score
CL82 will tell you the sky is green instead of blue and argue it to the death. Next will come the strawman.

I respect his conviction in believing that the AAC is where we should be, my guess is they think the Football team will eventually be good and that Santa is real.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was just pointing out your erroneous statement that travel is just as bad in the Big East.
I never said it was just as bad. It is slightly better but the difference of three bus trips more a season really isn't much of a motivator.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol at how much I am in your head.

CL82

Reaction Score
I respect his conviction in believing that the AAC is where we should be, my guess is they think the Football team will eventually be good and that Santa is real.
(Wait is that SJ's strawman?) I do think football will turn around, just like I think MBB will. But the point is that NBE isn't a better choice for us. Less money and less exposure is absolutely the wrong decision for us.

Reaction Score
He spent days arguing how awesome the AAC deal was going to be.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Meh--count me as not thrilled at all by the AAC, and not thrilled also by the NBE, which is already starting to feel the impact of being buried on TV.

The "new" Big East has been coasting along on the name and past glory of the old Big East. As those old glory days become a faded memory, the recruits are going to start getting worse and their programs will fall into decline. It's a slow but steady decline they're not going to recover from. It's already beginning to happen. In five years or less they'll be begging us, and/or anybody else they think can help, to rescue their sinking ship. They won't care if we have FBS football or not because by then they're gonna be desperate.

Reaction Score

Yeah let me know where he said that. I'll give you a hint: he didn't.

What I see he said was:
"Not so much " in response to: "go back to the big east where we don't have to travel crazy amounts " And then he pointed out that 5 teams certainly weren't bus trips.

And then your data showed it was an average distance of 600 miles (so the average isn't bussable), that those 5 teams indeed weren't bus trips, and that there would be 50% more flights than bus trips.

You can quibble if 60% flights is "crazy travel" and reasonable minds can differ, but you really can't put words into someone's mouth by changing their argument totally.

Reaction Score

What I see he said was:
"Not so much " in response to: "go back to the big east where we don't have to travel crazy amounts " And then he pointed out that 5 teams certainly weren't bus trips.

And then your data showed it was an average distance of 600 miles (so the average isn't bussable), that those 5 teams indeed weren't bus trips, and that there would be 50% more flights than bus trips.

You can quibble if 60% flights is "crazy travel" and reasonable minds can differ, but you really can't put words into someone's mouth by changing their argument totally.

Wasn't putting words in his mouth at all. A wrong person can always find a friend.

Reaction Score

What I see he said was:

And nobody brought up busses except for CL82 because it's not the 1970's anymore.

There is a lot more travel in the AAC, facts are facts.

Reaction Score
The myth that there isn't a travel time issue is just that - a myth. Are you really bragging about about an average distance of just under 600 miles away. 600 miles is "bussable"? Would you really put the team on a bus for 8-10 hours? I hope you are never the AD either.

Here's the thing getting on a plane is getting on plane. I'd suggest that at 600 miles per hour the difference in travel time and impact on the team is minimal compared to hassle of getting to the airport, staying over night in hotels etc.

But you missed the main points of my post. The benefit of the nominal travel savings are entirely outweighed by the smaller media contract, much, much smaller exposure being on FS1 and FS2 and by the de facto admission that we consider ourselves a mid major by joining a league of small, private and largely Catholic schools.
Reread my post. Five BE opponents are *under* 400 miles and bussable. One AAC opponent is under 600 miles. It's phrased that way because after Temple (~230 miles), the next closest is ECU at ~650. Half of the Big East is closer than the second closest AAC school.

Would they fly to GTown? Probably, but it's short. Would they fly to Seton Hall, St. John's, and PC? No. Nova/Temple is a tossup.

Also, yes, I'm bragging about a <600 mile average distance. Because it's the lowest average distance from Storrs to conference opponents of the major conferences. ACC is 726, B1G is 836.

Reaction Score
I never said it was just as bad. It is slightly better but the difference of three bus trips more a season really isn't much of a motivator.

LOL @ a 50%+ reduction in average distance to opponents and a 4,000+ mile reduction in overall travel per year per team is "slightly" better.

I'm not making the argument that we must drop football and return to the Big East, but you're purporting things as fact on here that are blatantly not true.

Reaction Score
And nobody brought up busses except for CL82 because it's not the 1970's anymore.

There is a lot more travel in the AAC, facts are facts.
I brought up buses originally - because you can (and should) take them from Storrs to multiple conference opponents in the Big East.

Reaction Score
We took a bus to Temple and lost by 20.

If you suck it doesn't matter how far you travel. If you are good, it doesn't matter.

The trip home is always longer if you lose...for the team, for fans.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Meh--count me as not thrilled at all by the AAC, and not thrilled also by the NBE, which is already starting to feel the impact of being buried on TV.

Which is why the angst about this deal is wasted energy. If this deal reduces exposure for UConn basketball, joining the Big East would greatly reduce even this level of exposure. Their TV deal is awful. Much worse exposure and money.

What is our alternative to the AAC? People want to help UConn basketball? Dropping football and joining the Big East would kill UConn basketball. Might as well smother it with a pillow. There is no time machine to go back to the good ole days of the old Big East. It was amazing. It’s gone.

We have no options. None.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom