AAC Media Contract details | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
Nobody is going to agree with you because AAC, but this is a pretty fair analysis. In some ways I liken this to when the Red Sox and Yankees went from WSBK and WPIX (?) to NESN and YES. People bitched then everyone got cable and they didn’t anymore. It’s new. Everyone is bitching. Then more and more games teams sports will go online and they won’t anymore
I remember when the Big East basketball conference aligned with ESPN. My parents didn't even have cable! In 1981, there were less than 10 million ESPN cable subs.

Reaction Score
Only good thing about this is they almost tripled the previous money. More than any other G5. However the 12 years makes that moot. Chances are it won't be the highest paid G5 by the end of the deal.

Only good thing is will continue to not pay for espn+ and get their games. I will never give espn an extra dime for their constant shatting on UConn.

I'm wondering if trying to run an FBS FB program on a shoestring budget is worth it anymore.

Reaction Score
Only good thing about this is they almost tripled the previous money. More than any other G5. However the 12 years makes that moot. Chances are it won't be the highest paid G5 by the end of the deal.

Only good thing is will continue to not pay for espn+ and get their games. I will never give espn an extra dime for their constant shatting on UConn.

I'm wondering if trying to run an FBS FB program on a shoestring budget is worth it anymore.
I'll say it again, none of us will still be here if we're still in this hole 10-12 years from now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What do you mean about not paying for ESPN+ and getting the games?

Also, agree with your football comment. If we're not going to be all in, I'd rather cut bait and stop dying on the vine.

Reaction Score

internet-pirate-with-a-laptop-computer-and-parrot-vector-17659359.jpg

Reaction Score

Also, agree with your football comment. If we're not going to be all in, I'd rather cut bait and stop dying on the vine.
You haven't figured out they aren't all in on football yet?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The American events on ESPN+ will begin with the start of the new agreement, with the direct-to-consumer service offering more than 500 conference controlled events in 2020-21 with nearly 400 of those events being football, men’s and women’s basketball and American sponsored Olympic sports championships.

??
This is kind of how I feel right now:

"I don't understand what that means. What does that mean, Hal?"
"We're going to have a lot of our games on ESPN+"
"What did we do wrong? We did nothing wrong"

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is this for certain that crappy teams/games go to ESPN+ better games go to ESPN/2. Seems to be a lot of ambiguity in what's going on here.

I think you can count on ESPN to act in its own interest and broadcast the games that will draw the highest ratings on its cable channels.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes- but NOT if you just get ESPN+ and not cable

How is that any different than now? I really don't get the whining about this.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Counter argument: ESPN just captured its largest fanbase for ESPN+ why give those captive audience eyeballs to SNY?

Because SNY is going to pay them? ESPN likes money. They've been selling our content to CBS to put on CBSSB for years. How is this any different? That will end with this...thank God.

Reaction Score
Counter argument: ESPN just captured its largest fanbase for ESPN+ why give those captive audience eyeballs to SNY?
Because they get the money. If they are sub-contracting the UConn games that they already paid for, they keep the dough. We get on TV but no extra money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

you can’t even make up how big of a joke this administration is.

lol @ anyone still pretending this people can find their rear ends in a dark room.

good on mike anthony for making a call.

uconn provides the most value to espn in this deal and either the administration has no idea what the conference is doing or they have so little influence they pretend they have no idea what is going on.

front porch lol

make sure to send money tho

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What a bunch of Chicken Littles complaining about the sky falling.

1. UConn gets almost 3X what it made before. And 2X what the Big East gets.
2. I can watch every single game. I can even watch baseball and probably soccer. That's awesome.
3. We have branding on ESPN+. This is not all that different than the ACC Network or other digital networks, except we get the content with ESPN+ instead of having to subscribe to a conference specific service.
4. UConn hoops will be on TV plenty. Football probably takes the bigger hit, until they learn how to score more points than the other team.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

2. I can watch every single game. I can even watch baseball and probably soccer. That's awesome.
3. We have branding on ESPN+. This is not all that different than the ACC Network or other digital networks, except we get the content with ESPN+ instead of having to subscribe to a conference specific service.
4. UConn hoops will be on TV plenty. Football probably takes the bigger hit, until they learn how to score more points than the other team.

Uh the sky isn't falling it already fell. Sure we get more money today and tomorrow, but in a few years that more money will look like peanuts. ESPN+ is a subscription service that our already fickle fanbase may not pay for aka it's a huge gamble. You think Uconn will be a TV a bunch but you have no idea.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

this is the kind of thinking that leads to the clown show we have in storrs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uh the sky isn't falling it already fell. Sure we get more money today and tomorrow, but in a few years that more money will look like peanuts. ESPN+ is a subscription service that our already fickle fanbase may not pay for aka it's a huge gamble. You think Uconn will be a TV a bunch but you have no idea.

If they won't they deserve what they get. Any fan who won't pony up $5 a month isn't a fan. This wouldn't be an issue even at a school like Iowa State, they'd all sign up immediately.

The best possible thing for UConn's future would be for ESPN to see an absolute flood of people in New England and metro New York signing up for ESPN+. If we don't we have validated everybody who ever said UConn has no value to a P5 and it isn't big time. The sky is just fine, unless we bring it down upon us.

As for the PR, it was obviously leaked anonymously on purpose so that UConn can tweak the AAC and ESPN without anything official being said. It was a nudge that said....get this done.

Reaction Score
How anyone can read that statement and think this is good is such homeric, delusional nonsense.

Thank goodness *a reporter* called to see if he could get a dropped leak or... anything.

What a total embarrassment.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
If they won't they deserve what they get. Any fan who won't pony up $5 a month isn't a fan. This wouldn't be an issue even at a school like Iowa State, they'd all sign up immediately.

The best possible thing for UConn's future would be for ESPN to see an absolute flood of people in New England and metro New York signing up for ESPN+. If we don't we have validated everybody who ever said UConn has no value to a P5 and it isn't big time. The sky is just fine, unless we bring it down upon us.

As for the PR, it was obviously leaked anonymously on purpose so that UConn can tweak the AAC and ESPN without anything official being said. It was a nudge that said....get this done.

bad take. made up facts to support your false claim. Next!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Do people think the big 12 is going to do anything without calling Texas and begging for their blessing? AAC signed a deal and we "leaked" our response to the deal... What...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
make sure to send money tho

Do me a favor- go take a look at the reason for donation solicitation on the men's hockey UConn Gives page, I have a feeling you're going to laugh really hard.

(still donated, btw)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The best part is the hidden kicker: including ESPNU with the rest of their premium networks. As if 65 games on main network wasn’t bad enough, they don’t specify the distribution so for all we know 50 of those 65 could fall on ESPNU making them effectively the same exposure wise as ESPN8theOcho, CBSSN, and ESPN+ or whatever new network they need to create to relegate our garbage content too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom