AAC Media Contract details | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract details

Reaction Score
1553707222360.png

Reaction Score
I have been neutral in the AAC C7 argument. If SNY (New York) exposure is gone, I am in begging mode. ESPN has sheet on us enough

Reaction Score
The stuff on ESPN+ is only on ESPN+.

That’s the point of it and why I expect there will be no SNY deal.

The replays go up.
No I know that, which is why I’m now considering cutting the cord since ALL their games will be online now. I’m just wondering about those games that will be on ESPN or 2 or U if those will be simulcast online or blacked out until after the game ends.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Serious question for those of you with ESPN+, do they blackout regional games if they are being carried on the network? Will I have to spoof with a VPN? Can you watch anytime after the original broadcast? I’m sure there is no cloud DVR feature so they must right?

If you're on ESPN+, there's no blackout within the United States. You can watch it anytime.

zls44

Reaction Score
No I know that, which is why I’m now considering cutting the cord since ALL their games will be online now. I’m just wondering about those games that will be on ESPN or 2 or U if those will be simulcast online or blacked out until after the game ends.

Any game on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU won't be included live.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I wonder why ESPN actively wants to end the sports program of the flagship program in it's state? Maybe they don't like the taxes, maybe they think the fans are ungrateful. None of it makes much sense. ESPN + state officials + UConn officials should have easily gotten us into a P5 instead, we have a landing page on ESPN+.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you have someone’s password you can watch the linear stuff on Watch ESPN - but ESPN+ doesn’t get you ESPN/2/U/N

Reaction Score
I just don't get the concerns about exposure, so let's look at the facts.

Football

At least 40 football games on either linear TV with at least 20 on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. Remember, most (not all) Navy home games will be on CBS networks. So at least 40 out of 89 football games on linear TV with another 6 to 7 Navy games on linear TV. Plus, the conference championship is on ESPN/ABC.

It seems like this is an upgrade from the current package.

Men's Basketball

At least 65 regular season games on linear TV with ESPN and another small amount of games with CBS. This seems like a decline from at least 107 games on linear TV in the previous contract. Conference tournament will remain on ESPN linear networks.

More games will be on ESPN+, but ESPN will clearly be broadcasting the best games on the linear networks. And, UConn will be on linear networks for early season tournaments and marquis road games, so I don't think UConn mens' basketball exposure will change that much.

Women's Basketball

At least 13 regular season games on linear networks, so I would assume most (10+) will be UConn women's games. Plus, away games will probably be on linear TV networks. My guess is the women will get more linear TV games, but the SNY games will go to ESPN+.

Believe it or not, women's basketball will probably get INCREASED exposure on ESPN networks. This year, only 6 AAC controlled games were on linear TV and it looks like that will increase to 9 to 10? Also,many UConn away games were on linear TV.

Impact on SNY

Could be the big loser, but my guess is that they will buy the content from ESPN to remain viable in CT. With UConn sports gone, there would be little reason for CT cable companies to carry SNY.

ESPN+

Seems to be the big winner. $5/month is not expensive, so I will subscribe.

Media Money

$7 > $2, so UConn will get more money with some impact on how you view games. For me, I am out of market with no SNY coverage, only ESPN3, it will cost me $5/month extra, but I will still able to watch the games the same way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you will still be able to watch the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU games online through WatchESPN or ESPN3.

zls44

Reaction Score
I think you will still be able to watch the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU games online through WatchESPN or ESPN3.

Yes- but NOT if you just get ESPN+ and not cable

Reaction Score
If you have someone’s password you can watch the linear stuff on Watch ESPN - but ESPN+ doesn’t get you ESPN/2/U/N
Thanks, yea, that’s what I was wondering. Your replay comment makes sense to me now.

@Robertelamin whats your comcast Login???

Reaction Score
Yes- but NOT if you just get ESPN+ and not cable
Doesn't have to be cable. It can be any of the streaming services as well. With YouTube TV I get a WatchESPN login.

Reaction Score
I just don't get the concerns about exposure, so let's look at the facts.

Football

At least 40 football games on either linear TV with at least 20 on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. Remember, most (not all) Navy home games will be on CBS networks. So at least 40 out of 89 football games on linear TV with another 6 to 7 Navy games on linear TV. Plus, the conference championship is on ESPN/ABC.

It seems like this is an upgrade from the current package.

Men's Basketball

At least 65 regular season games on linear TV with ESPN and another small amount of games with CBS. This seems like a decline from at least 107 games on linear TV in the previous contract. Conference tournament will remain on ESPN linear networks.

More games will be on ESPN+, but ESPN will clearly be broadcasting the best games on the linear networks. And, UConn will be on linear networks for early season tournaments and marquis road games, so I don't think UConn mens' basketball exposure will change that much.

The amount of assumptions in here is astounding.

Women's Basketball

At least 13 regular season games on linear networks, so I would assume most (10+) will be UConn women's games. Plus, away games will probably be on linear TV networks. My guess is the women will get more linear TV games, but the SNY games will go to ESPN+.

Believe it or not, women's basketball will probably get INCREASED exposure on ESPN networks. This year, only 6 AAC controlled games were on linear TV and it looks like that will increase to 9 to 10? Also,many UConn away games were on linear TV.

Impact on SNY

Seems to be the big loser. With UConn sports gone, there is little reason for CT cable companies to carry SNY.

It is an ENORMOUS loss to UConn to potentially lose a contract with a regional sports network in NYC who broadcasts our games as well as pre/post-games and weekly shows on some of the teams. HUGE loss.

ESPN+

Seems to be the big winner. $5/month is not expensive, so I will subscribe.

The problem is the majority of regular sports fans (the ones who drive the ratings up), recruits, etc. won't subscribe to ESPN+ and instead will down the road pay to stream the regular ESPN networks. So long as ESPN+ is a separate entity and behind a separate paywall from ESPN/2/U, it is a bad proposition for anyone to be housed there.

Media Money

$7 > $2, so UConn will get more money with some impact on how you view games. For me, I am out of market with no SNY coverage, only ESPN3, it will cost me $5/month extra, but I will still able to watch the games the same way.

Reaction Score
This will not give you access to ESPN+.
I wasn't saying it was. The question was about getting ESPN3/WatchESPN access. You can get it through cable or any of the streaming services that carry their normal channels.

Reaction Score
I wasn't saying it was. The question was about getting ESPN3/WatchESPN access. You can get it through cable or any of the streaming services that carry their normal channels.
Sorry, misunderstood. Then yes, that's correct you would get that access if you had YouTube TV. *THIS* is the "streaming cable of the future" that everyone should be talking about and concerned with. Not add-on platforms like ESPN+.

Reaction Score
I wonder why ESPN actively wants to end the sports program of the flagship program in it's state? Maybe they don't like the taxes, maybe they think the fans are ungrateful. None of it makes much sense. ESPN + state officials + UConn officials should have easily gotten us into a P5 instead, we have a landing page on ESPN+.
I’d have to imagine if not for infrastructure reasons and whatever money we threw at them when it looked like they were leaving for LA they’d probably be long gone.

Reaction Score

ESPN tells the state what to do, not the other way around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom