AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 17 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
because a network isn't going to pay big bucks to the aac for a tv deal with the expectation that ucf and memphis etc. are going to be here for 10 years only to have them leave for a P5 confernece after 5 years. the ratings would plummet. as i said above, a future aac with only: navy, wichita, tulsa, ecu, temple smu and uconn is a dumpster fire!

In every contract we've ever had, networks accounted for the possibility of schools leaving with contract language. If so-and-so isn't there, we drop the yearly pay out to $X. This is pretty normal. GORs do absolutely nothing for the networks (unless, as Fishy pointed out, the network is at work building out a separate conference network).

Reaction Score
If Texas and OU leave, Kansas is likely close behind.

yeah thats the sum of all fears right there. ucf houston and memphis could slide right in. maybe cincy and usf too and theyd be back to 12 teams

also from the article that started all this- "[along with UCF], Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and South Florida are the other candidates most likely to be targeted by the power five, according to several well-placed sources."

we'd be left high and dry again.

Reaction Score
Georgetown, St Johns, Villanova, even Seton Hall will likely survive as entities, they are close enough to major metropolitan areas to fight the decline of Catholicism. But long-term any sort of sports dominance is likely to fade away fast. Tuition is already too high for these schools, when expenses get tight sports will be the first to be cut.

I just wanted to underline that this isn't about Catholicism, but rather about Higher Ed in general. Rising tuition, less money for the middle class, plus the killer: a demographic timebomb--when the Baby-Boom-Boom ends, there will be a huge drop in prospective students I still can't get over 9 incoming freshman at Antioch.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
yeah thats the sum of all fears right there. ucf houston and memphis could slide right in. maybe cincy and usf too and theyd be back to 12 teams

also from the article that started all this- "[along with UCF], Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and South Florida are the other candidates most likely to be targeted by the power five, according to several well-placed sources."

we'd be left high and dry again.
Well if this becomes a reality we'll have a better idea when those schools say no to the GOR. It's not just a UConn thing in terms of whether to sign or not. This is an issue for all current members. In the end, I can't see them all agreeing to sign. UCF and Cincy for sure. Houston, Memphis, and USF are long shots for the Big 12, IMO.

Reaction Score
Because Susan would have done a better job at picking a football coach than Warde Manuel and Benedict?

Let's face it, it wasn't her job to pick football coaches, and that's really where UConn is hurting mostly. The fact is, schools in our region, with worse recruiting areas, with worse facilities, with worse conference situations, with worse budgets, are outworking UConn where it matters most: coaching. Simple as that. UConn can turn this around.
There's one thing you are overlooking. I think the US will become a global destination for education even more. The head of the royal family of Mysore in India is a UMass alum. He's only 26.

Reaction Score
In every contract we've ever had, networks accounted for the possibility of schools leaving with contract language. If so-and-so isn't there, we drop the yearly pay out to $X. This is pretty normal. GORs do absolutely nothing for the networks (unless, as Fishy pointed out, the network is at work building out a separate conference network).

no one's signing a GOR so it's a moot point, but in a networks mind, signing a GOR somewhat guarantees that all the schools will remain in the conference through the term of the contract. but again, it's not gonna happen because everyones fighting to get out of the aac like rats off a sinking ship.

Reaction Score
I'm all aboard the "Fox wants UConn hoops in the Big East and will help with independent football scheduling" hype train.
If they want us bad enough for hoops then they'd need to step up and get us a scheduling alliance with their properties for football Independence.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
This is correct, though in terms of the current AAC contract if certain schools leave (from pool A and/or multiples from pool B) then the media contract would be null and void and would have to be renegotiated completely.

UConn is in pool A. Which baffles my mind why they aren't mentioned in the SBJ report. Despite football, they still have the most market value and the most potential upside.

Reaction Score
Where are they supposedly going?? The Big 12 explored expansion and passed on all available schools. If Texas and OU leave, Kansas is likely close behind. Can't see the Big 12 remaIning a P5 conference after that. Even if they add UCF, Cincy, or USF. That doesn't make them a P5. So I dont see them leaving anytime soon.

There are fewer spots than there are B12 members, so they'll remain viable entities. B12 loses 2 and then probably takes 2 from AAC.

Reaction Score
There's one thing you are overlooking. I think the US will become a global destination for education even more. The head of the royal family of Mysore in India is a UMass alum. He's only 26.

Our numbers of foreign students are dropping rapidly, blowing big holes in budgets. But the schools that will draw those students anyway are research institutions, not small privates or Catholics.

Reaction Score
no one's signing a GOR so it's a moot point, but in a networks mind, signing a GOR somewhat guarantees that all the schools will remain in the conference through the term of the contract. but again, it's not gonna happen because everyones fighting to get out of the aac like rats off a sinking ship.

And how does that improve the network's payout? That's my only question. Remember, ESPN was actually more interested in taking property it already owned (The Big East) and cannibalizing it rather than keeping it together.

Reaction Score

Barbour doesn't know her own history. All the schools were against Penn State joining too!

Reaction Score
I realize that this isn’t just about basketball but the NBE is already considered a “power conference” in basketball.

Recruiting for Georgetown and StJohns certainly doesn't scream "POWER CONFERENCE"

St Johns was on Gaffney for years and Luther Muhammad longer than that, and BOTH players chose coaches who just took new jobs over going to St Johns.

They are filling up with transfers.

Georgetown is recruiting like its 1986 with their Frankenstein bigmen recruits.

Get out with this BS hype-train about the NBE.

Outside of Nova, there is no discernible difference in conferences... and now that UConn/Memphis are recruiting better than Nova, that narrative is about to change as well.

Providence got schooled by Gregg Marshall with a bunch of unheralded freshmen.

chris-mullin-030817-usnews-getty-ftr_v3qeqp6hto0m1vj0czg5lw5aq.jpg

Reaction Score
Reflection: There is no more old big east and no more yankee conference. The University and it's "Brand" need an identity. "We are "Uconn". Next it needs a mission. We want to excel to a championship level in every sport. I am not sure we know what this is; that it is spelled out anywhere. If the identity and mission above is correct it will entail a strong leadership communication that needs to be repeated and a massive investment. Please correct me if I am wrong; just the way it looks from here. It appears that we do not have the commitment (BOT and finances) to the football program to make it a winner. Perhaps that is why we seem to be dithering around in circles (state funded school, politics etc.) We are kind of a wanna be without the will and finances and "hoping" we can land in a P5. HOPE defined as Heaven on Planet Earth. We have one foot on the boat and one on the dock and the boat is leaving. Let's face it; this setup is not working and will take some MOVES or it will get worse. We have spent BILLIONS ON renovations and not complaining about that as a taxpayer. Now FINISH the damn job and get on board with the athletic program. At least our state government could get SOMETHING right. If we have to funnel $50 million a year to the city of Hartford to balance their budget surely there would be a better return by fighting to get Uconn to front of the line for something that will build the state instead of "hoping" it won't collapse.

Please excuse the rant.

We are UConn*

Reaction Score
Recruiting for Georgetown and StJohns certainly doesn't scream "POWER CONFERENCE"

St Johns was on Gaffney for years and Luther Muhammad longer than that, and BOTH players chose coaches who just took new jobs over going to St Johns.

They are filling up with transfers.

Get out with this BS hype-train about the NBE.

Outside of Nova, there is no discernible difference in conferences... and now that UConn/Memphis are recruiting better than Nova, that narrative is about to change as well.

Providence got schooled by Gregg Marshall with a bunch of unheralded freshmen.

chris-mullin-030817-usnews-getty-ftr_v3qeqp6hto0m1vj0czg5lw5aq.jpg

Nope, you’re wrong.

DePaul out-recruits nearly ever AAC team including UC and Houston.

Reaction Score
Nope, you’re wrong.

DePaul out-recruits nearly ever AAC team including UC and Houston.

LOL You think DePaul is gonna be good with those 2 guys this year? Or do you think it buys Leitao more time to do more damage?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm all aboard the "Fox wants UConn hoops in the Big East and will help with independent football scheduling" hype train.

Off the bat, no AAC or ACC team would schedule UConn as they are wholly owned ESPN properties. SEC, forget about it.

So you're looking at maybe two BIG games, two Big 12 games so say Illinois, Indiana, maybe a Kansas, Iowa State. Then the other independents that would need late in the season scheduling in BYU, Army, and UMass. Throw in an FCS game vs URI. That's 8 games and even that is a stretch.

I'm sure Fox wants UConn in the BE for hoop but not sure they have enough clout to help schedule 12 football games.

Reaction Score
And how does that improve the network's payout?

1. A grant of rights involves schools signing over their rights to their own TV money to the conference for a set term, making it effectively impossible for universities to leave for another league.
2. The AAC’s current seven-year, $126 million package with ESPN expires in 2020. A new deal could be three to four times higher, but only if the top AAC schools commit to stay in the conference
3. a network will pay big bucks to a conference that includes ucf, usf, houston, cincy, and memphis. however, they will not pay big bucks to a conference that might only include uconn, temple, tulsa, tulane, wichita, ecu and navy.
4. because if and when the big programs leave the aac, no one will be watching aac games anymore. poof there go the ratings and advertising money along with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom