AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 18 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
Off the bat, no AAC or ACC team would schedule UConn as they are wholly owned ESPN properties. SEC, forget about it.

So you're looking at maybe two BIG games, two Big 12 games so say Illinois, Indiana, maybe a Kansas, Iowa State. Then the other independents that would need late in the season scheduling in BYU, Army, and UMass. Throw in an FCS game vs URI. That's 8 games and even that is a stretch.

I'm sure Fox wants UConn in the BE for hoop but not sure they have enough clout to help schedule 12 football games.
Does fox only have the B1G and Big XII?

Reaction Score
LOL You think DePaul is gonna be good with those 2 guys this year? Or do you think it buys Leitao more time to do more damage?

No, I don’t think DePaul is going to be good...because they’re DePaul

However, it highlights the point that there is simply more talent in the NBE and the conference as a whole is much deeper.

You can go around making the argument that the AAC and NBE are equal but, outside of some AAC fan club somewhere, all college basketball fans will laugh at you.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Does fox only have the B1G and Big XII?

...and the PAC. But the PAC deal does nothing for them, hence the want to move east.

Reaction Score
Off the bat, no AAC or ACC team would schedule UConn as they are wholly owned ESPN properties. SEC, forget about it.

So you're looking at maybe two BIG games, two Big 12 games so say Illinois, Indiana, maybe a Kansas, Iowa State. Then the other independents that would need late in the season scheduling in BYU, Army, and UMass. Throw in an FCS game vs URI. That's 8 games and even that is a stretch.

I'm sure Fox wants UConn in the BE for hoop but not sure they have enough clout to help schedule 12 football games.

I’d sign up for that schedule tbh

We’d be playing more p5 teams and basketball would be in a better conference.

Win-win

Reaction Score
...and the PAC. But the PAC deal does nothing for them, hence the want to move east.
Yeah this will never happen then. If they had C-USA, the MWC, sun belt or MAC then it wouldve been a little more realistic. I don't see three P5 leagues agreeing to play us twice per year.

Reaction Score
No, I don’t think DePaul is going to be good...because they’re DePaul

However, it highlights the point that there is simply more talent in the NBE and the conference as a whole is much deeper.

You can go around making the argument that the AAC and NBE are equal but, outside of some AAC fan club somewhere, all college basketball fans will laugh at you.

The people that would laugh were probably saying Dan Hurley would NEVER choose UConn or James Wiseman would NEVER sign with Memphis.

Different media folk have never wanted to give credit and have wanted to write UConn off at every turn.

Let's see what they say next year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah this will never happen then. If they had C-USA, the MWC, sun belt or MAC then it wouldve been a little more realistic. I don't see three P5 leagues agreeing to play us twice per year.

Agree. I highly doubt west coast teams will want to fly cross country to play us UNLESS the game was played in New York or Boston.

Reaction Score
I’d sign up for that schedule tbh

We’d be playing more p5 teams and basketball would be in a better conference.

Win-win
If they had say, the MAC, and we could get 2 B1G games, 2 Big XII games, 2 MAC games and 1 PAC game, plus army, UMass & BYU, it would be a huge step up. But since they don't have any other lesser properties I don't see how it could ever happen

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's not the choice. The Big East as currently constructed isn't close to a great basketball conference. It's a good one, but five years from now it would not surprise me at all if the AAC is a better one. Most of this nonsense stems from a severe overrating of the Big East as a long term conference, due to Villanova's recent success. Meanwhile the AAC is underrated due to the recent lack of success by Memphis and UConn, who should be the top teams (with Cinci).

Long term UConn must adopt a P5 or bust approach. It's the only rational choice.

Reaction Score
Nova has landed 8 recruits in 18/19. Three 5*, 4 other top 60. This is the best they have ever recruited

Wow... 8 recruits???

Of course, my prediction is based on Trendon Watford joining up with DJ Jeffries, James Wiseman (and likely Damion Baugh/Dandridge)

And of course Bouknight, Akok, Gaffney, and perhaps Precious/Cockburn/etc

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If they had say, the MAC, and we could get 2 B1G games, 2 Big XII games, 2 MAC games and 1 PAC game, plus army, UMass & BYU, it would be a huge step up. But since they don't have any other lesser properties I don't see how it could ever happen

Alternatively though, while I don't think that ESPN would let ACC or AAC teams schedule us, would they really care if on our own we schedule Western Michigan on our own?

Reaction Score

Well I mean UConn would still schedule games the traditional way, Fox wouldn’t have to be their schedule maker. They’d just have to guarantee a certain number of games vs P5 teams.

Reaction Score
Well I mean UConn would still schedule games the traditional way, Fox wouldn’t have to be their schedule maker. They’d just have to guarantee a certain number of games vs P5 teams.

That UMass rivalry could get turned up. They have a model indy program. Play lots of decent teams.

Attachments

• 72FE0220-C560-4EB6-A85E-61E984E121F0.png
    72FE0220-C560-4EB6-A85E-61E984E121F0.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 45
Reaction Score
Screech....

>>The commissioner said that even with the report out there, the general particulars with a grant-of-rights agreement aren't what the report made it out to be. Aresco said it'd be a nice incentive for schools to stick with the league and a deterrent for other conferences to poach from the conference, but it doesn't lock schools in as much as the report suggested.

"This whole business of grant-of-rights is very poorly understood, generally," Aresco explained. "It doesn't mean schools can't move, it just means their TV rights go with them. What it means, Dave, is that if someone leaves, their TV rights remain with the conference where they once were. If your TV deal is with X network, it stays. Every game you play in that other conference that's a home game stays with the conference you left. Whatever TV deal that was. That's a strong incentive for schools not to leave. It doesn't mean you're bound, period. That's not the kind of situation that it would be."

While Aresco declined to discuss specifics of talks with the member schools, but unequivocally said there won't be an unequal revenue sharing for "bigger" schools within the conference.<<

Reaction Score
You need at least 7-8 guaranteed games, though. Otherwise you can end up screwed with how scheduling in CFB goes. Especially with P5 teams trying to enforce playing other P5 opponents

Reaction Score
You can get a schedule...but most P5's want you to be a visitor or a 2-1 home and home...

U of Florida just stated that they would schedule UCF in a two for one...UCF is declining.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
my earlier post on this thread was 'wow, just wow.' now, I would like to add Schnikies! lets put it like this.. once upon a time the children yelled Apple!, all day long, every day. a far more informed minority audience, knowing the real future and motivated not by sentiment, but by the desire to make real money in the long run, whispered amongst themselves, Microsoft.
they knew that the day would come when the chickens woke up to reality, and, in unison, all change their tune and run in that direction. that time has come. such as it will be with the AAC--well positioned for the future. this won't start to be understood until the 2020 media deal. here, i'll help--gonna blow your, and the bean counting short sighted, collective minds. in the meantime, i'll watch the talking heads in bemusement since somebody (not named me) has to pay retail for stuff, and I really enjoy a good laugh. AAC!

Reaction Score
If you are playing as an independent, what is the end goal for the team?

There has to be a bowl to play for, no matter how crappy, especially if you have no conference title to play for.

How would you even recruit for that situation? Yes, even if we go 11-1, we stay home while all the 6-6 teams go bowling.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can get a schedule...but most P5's want you to be a visitor or a 2-1 home and home...

U of Florida just stated that they would schedule UCF in a two for one...UCF is declining.

UCF should have taken that....if they could get a guaranteed 20k seats in Gainesville. It's a short drive from them and worth the opportunity to really get to a playoff or upgrade their status.

Reaction Score

There has to be a bowl to play for, no matter how crappy, especially if you have no conference title to play for.

How would you even recruit for that situation? Yes, even if we go 11-1, we stay home while all the 6-6 teams go bowling.

This would be something Fox would have to do the heavy lifting for.

Maybe create a new bowl at Fenway?

Reaction Score
UCF should have taken that....if they could get a guaranteed 20k seats in Gainesville. It's a short drive from them and worth the opportunity to really get to a playoff or upgrade their status.

Yeah, seriously!

Bowden built up the FSU program by playing anyone 2 for 1 or even no return games.

Reaction Score

Fox gives us a bowl tie-in option to one or more of the Bowls they own. Same thing ESPN does for BYU.

Reaction Score

I’m surprised they would turn that down.

Reaction Score
This would be something Fox would have to do the heavy lifting for.

Maybe create a new bowl at Fenway?

I'm all in, except they would be scrambling if we were not bowl eligible

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom