AAC contract... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC contract...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For basketball, upgrade
For the athletic department, downgrade

Football's fate was sealed when they brought in three consecutive coaches that made the program appreciably worse than the guy before. I'm a basketball fan that wanted the football team to succeed, but they missed their opportunity to get us into a P5 conference. This was inevitable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was clear to mention that Nova and G'Town are nice regular additions. but we've been playing relatively regularly so I think those are already in the baseline.
Those two teams drew the biggest home crowds the year's we played them, right? So they ain't the "baseline".

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Football drives the bus. Yet AAC doesn't want us as a football only. The MAC and C-USA aren't considering it. Yet we are supposed to remain as a geographical outlier in a conference with schools we will never be able to recruit with, so that our football team will become attractive to the... Big Ten and ACC? Yeah, right.

The AAC path was no longer sustainable for the university. UConn comes out on top financially with this move. Costs slashed. Fan interest up. AAC contract will be re-negotiated down, NBE contract will be re-negotiated up. T3 rights in the fold again, which back in the OBE days surpassed what the AAC would be paying us for the next decade.

UConn can now focus itself on what its brand truly is - a great public school with world-class athletics that also happens to play football. The past 7 years the university has taken a great hit to try and prop football up, but it didn't work. If P5 expansion ever occurs again this is UConn's best bet. Not UCF's, Houston's Cincy's, etc - they're in a different situation than us completely. This is what UConn had to do for UConn.

Oh, and we don't have to play in ECU on a Tuesday night at 9 pm in front of 37 people anymore.
A lot of good points have been made about staying with the AAC because it represents the best chance of getting a P5 invitation which is well and good. However, looking at Uconn as a stand alone entity without regard to the State's precarious financial situation is not realistic. I don't think there is the political will to just continue the subsidies to the University that existed in the past few decades. To think that we have lost the corporate headquarters of GE, UTC nearly Aetna etc. in addition to other corporate entities, retirees and many others should be setting off some bells that the CT is increasingly looking like a very poorly fiscally managed state that is hostile to business. I think that a more sober short term view of the sports scene at Uconn in this present financial environment will be the focus of both the university administration and the state politicians. For whatever reasons we missed out on P5 and there is no certainty that anything we might do in the next 5-10 years will change that. I don't share the AAC enthusiasm that others do as THE pathway to P5 nor do I think the powers that be do and thus NBE represents a viable alternative in the present state of affairs. Wish we were P5 but we aren't. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
It's less money. Your math is too simple.

First off, it's $10,000,000 out the door.

The school is operating under the delusion that donors will make up the revenue shortfall.
People were saying yesterday that FOX and the BE schools will pony up the cash for the buy out. That is a non issue.

Reaction Score
no... I was clear to mention that Nova and G'Town are nice regular additions. but we've been playing relatively regularly so I think those are already in the baseline. They all suck. In the near future, AAC with Uconn is a 4-5 bid league. Not sure with Uconn the BE is the same. Maybe a 2-3 or 3-4 bid league.
Everything is wrong here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot of good points have been made about staying with the AAC because it represents the best chance of getting a P5 invitation which is well and good. However, looking at Uconn as a stand alone entity without regard to the State's precarious financial situation is not realistic. I don't think there is the political will to just continue the subsidies to the University that existed in the past few decades. To think that we have lost the corporate headquarters of GE, UTC nearly Aetna etc. in addition to other corporate entities, retirees and many others should be setting off some bells that the CT is increasingly looking like a very poorly fiscally managed state that is hostile to business. I think that a more sober short term view of the sports scene at Uconn in this present financial environment will be the focus of both the university administration and the state politicians. For whatever reasons we missed out on P5 and there is no certainty that anything we might do in the next 5-10 years will change that. I don't share the AAC enthusiasm that others do as THE pathway to P5 nor do I think the powers that be do and thus NBE represents a viable alternative in the present state of affairs. Wish we were P5 but we aren't. Just my opinion.

If you want to know why UConn athletics and the state of Connecticut are both mutually screwed over the long term, read this. It's the kind of thinking that got both of them to their current depressing state.

Reaction Score
My question is this:
If The Big East becomes even stronger and more popular with UConn driving the ratings, the basketball program returns to deep NCAA runs, and the football team (Independent) beats up on nobody teams while reducing the athletic deficit, does UConn not become more attractive for the next round of expansion?
As opposed to living in the basement of the fifth or sixth best football conference while the basketball programs sputter in front of 350 people, but the baseball team has a slightly higher RPI?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How do people not get that College Football runs the NCAA and the money. March madness is great, but again there is only so much money and if the NBA starts taking high school players after the next collective bargaining agreement that will hurt college hoops once again.
This is in my opinion a short-sighted move by the university to stop the bleeding.
The issue is that the AAC screwed UConn with SNY and it's keeping the rights.
Second ESPN once again screwed UConn and the AAC, but especially UConn.

Wishing ESPN+ would fail, but it won't as too many fans enjoy the content

Reaction Score
If The Big East becomes even stronger and more popular with UConn driving the ratings, the basketball program returns to deep NCAA runs, and the football team (Independent) beats up on nobody teams while reducing the athletic deficit, does UConn not become more attractive for the next round of expansion?
As opposed to living in the basement of the fifth or sixth best football conference while the basketball programs sputter in front of 350 people, but the baseball team has a slightly higher RPI?
This has to be their hail mary, right? And if it fails they still get the better basketball confernece.

Reaction Score
This has to be their hail mary, right? And if it fails they still get the better basketball confernece.
That's what I'm thinking. Imagine if UConn remained in the AAC, the NBE went ahead and added teams leaving UConn on the outside looking in, while the P5 raids the AAC but doesn't take UConn? That's how you kill UConn athletics - not by leaving for the Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The school is operating under the delusion that donors will make up the revenue shortfall.
Speculation? Because that seems like the kind of thing that you line of up ahead of time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's less money. Your math is too simple.

First off, it's $10,000,000 out the door.

I dont think UConn will pay $10 million out the door. The AAC exposed itself to fiduciary violations when it negotiated away UConn's SNY contract without UConn's approval. That may be enough for UConn to credibly threaten to void the exit fees, whrich would be a strong negotiating position for UConn.

caw

Reaction Score
How do people not get that College Football runs the NCAA and the money. March madness is great, but again there is only so much money and if the NBA starts taking high school players after the next collective bargaining agreement that will hurt college hoops once again.
This is in my opinion a short-sighted move by the university to stop the bleeding.
The issue is that the AAC screwed UConn with SNY and it's keeping the rights.
Second ESPN once again screwed UConn and the AAC, but especially UConn.

Wishing ESPN+ would fail, but it won't as too many fans enjoy the content

I agree about college football and have been on the fence about this move bc this isn’t good for UCONN football. However, I think in the long run it’s probably for the best of money between BE and AAC is even neutral (buyout excluded).

There are only a few “likely” scenarios:

P5 doesn’t expand and stays in the NCAA (BE vs AAC seems to favor BE for UCONN basketball and AAC for UCONN football, pending further info on footballs landing spot)

P5 doesn’t expand and fully breaks away from NCAA (BE vs AAC seems to favor BE for UCONN overall football would be relegated to second tier forever either way here)

P5 doesn’t expand breaks away for football (BE has a pretty large advantage as now AAC football is basically FCS anyway)

P5 expands without UCONN (BE advantage, AAC is now likely missing at least one of Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, UCF, or USF, maybe Memphis as a far outside shot)

P5 expands with UCONN (AAC advantage, but this breaks rule #1 of expansion and perhaps with #1 the least likely scenario to ever play out). This is the one scenario every UCONN fan was praying for, but it isn’t exactly realistic, especially as time passes. I have to imagine UCONN doesn’t feel it’s realistic either at this stage.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I dont think UConn will pay $10 million out the door. The AAC exposed itself to fiduciary violations when it negotiated away UConn's SNY contract without UConn's approval. That may be enough for UConn to credibly threaten to void the exit fees, whrich would be a strong negotiating position for UConn.

Another $10,000,000 contract termination law suit?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doubtful
Doubtful. Look for UConn to pay in full but try to negotiate the notice down from 27 months.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Unless UConn gave the AAC the right to both bind it to contracts and authority to override existing contracts, the AAC did not have the authority to sell UConn's T3 rights or break UConn's SNY deal.

It doesn't appear that UConn approved the ESPN deal based on Benedict's "no comments" in March.

Reaction Score
Nova and Georgetown were two of our biggest non-conference draws the last few years. Now we get to play them twice every year, plus possibly again in the conference tournament. You can think this isn't a good move, but you can't just discount the importance of playing conference games against teams people care about.
And let’s not forget our 2011 NC was won vs. Butler. That could be a fun rivalry. And they have some hoops success.

Reaction Score
The AAC football playoff distribution was about $2000m per team
Indy’s get about $800m
UConn also losses any NCAA BB revenue unless Big East allows us to a phase partially.
The revenue shortfall could be more significant than most believe.
I’m not in the know but the consensus was Fox was overpaying the NBE and the next contract could be worse not better..
Has something changed?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nova, Marquette, Seton hall and UConn are 4 bids.

Gtown is looking like it's on the upswing with Ewing. Providence, butler and creighton are also capable of challenging for invites depending on the year

I would guess it's a 4-6 bid league year in/ year out

You forgot Xavier, which has been the best team besides Nova the last few years and just landed a strong recruiting class again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

There was a story that needs follow up by our press, suggesting that the three carryover Big East teams to the AAC, each had a clause in the original agreement that said that exit fees were reduced if any future TV deal was less favorable in either money or exposure. While this one pays us more, it eliminates external revenue we had. The exposure, with ESPN+ for some football and basketball, is worse. I’d like to know more about that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Add lacrosse and make a name for ourselves in esports and any concerns about lack of football on enrollment will disappear. Maybe more nerds and less bros, but that's a good thing, right?

I go back to when we played Maine and URI at Memorial. We managed to have a good time.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Unless UConn gave the AAC the right to both bind it to contracts and authority to override existing contracts, the AAC did not have the authority to sell UConn's T3 rights or break UConn's SNY deal.

It doesn't appear that UConn approved the ESPN deal based on Benedict's "no comments" in March.

But the AAC could say previous conferences have screwed UConn and UConn did not fire them,so...

Reaction Score
There's a certain level of delusion here about the future of the football team.

UConn made a desperate decision.

They chose even more financial bleeding than before in order to create some excitement around its marquee sport, men's basketball. Although the new BE is not as exciting as the old one, it is probable that there will be some excitement in the short term for a return.

UConn now loses out on the playoff bowl money payments and AAC football payments, so except the financial bleeding for football to be larger than ever before. You save on travel, presumably, but no one knows what the schedule will look like. With little TV money and no Playoff money, football will be hurting. And worse, the road as an Independent looks dire.

One way to save money is to end football. I think effectively they have already ended football. I don't see how they can continue it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom