AAC contract... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC contract...

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone doubts this is a fine move for basketball. You can argue about who will be better (AAC or Big East) over the next ten years and you could go back and forth. Basketball should schedule home and home with the teams they still want to play like Cincinnati, Memphis. I don't see why either school would turn that down.

The real questions are football and finances. Baseball definitely took a hit too, but the Big East is "ok" at baseball. I don't see how the finances are going to work out. Though the TV money could/should be close to a wash, what about bowl/playoff payouts? What about football revenue when you have fewer home games (which seems inevitable.) Will the offsetting attendance spike in basketball be enough to make up for one or two fewer home football games? I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone doubts this is a fine move for basketball. You can argue about who will be better (AAC or Big East) over the next ten years and you could go back and forth. Basketball should schedule home and home with the teams they still want to play like Cincinnati, Memphis. I don't see why either school would turn that down.

The real questions are football and finances. Baseball definitely took a hit too, but the Big East is "ok" at baseball. I don't see how the finances are going to work out. Though the TV money could/should be close to a wash, what about bowl/playoff payouts? What about football revenue when you have fewer home games (which seems inevitable.) Will the offsetting attendance spike in basketball be enough to make up for one or two fewer home football games? I just don't see it.
Well I'm sure we will get some big pay checks from the big programs to be their whipping boy at their home. So that will help out.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I dont think UConn will pay $10 million out the door. The AAC exposed itself to fiduciary violations when it negotiated away UConn's SNY contract without UConn's approval. That may be enough for UConn to credibly threaten to void the exit fees, whrich would be a strong negotiating position for UConn.

LOL - you mean the *expiring* SNY contract?

Reaction Score
I don't know what to say if you think these recruiting pitches won't have different results:

"Hey come to UConn and you'll be seen on ESPNU/ESPN2/ESPN playing at Dickie's Arena in March"

OR

"Hey come to UConn and you'll be seen on FS1/Fox playing at Madison Square Garden in March"

Reaction Score
I don't know what to say if you think these recruiting pitches won't have different results:

"Hey come to UConn and you'll be seen on ESPNU/ESPN2/ESPN playing at Dickie's Arena in March"

OR

"Hey come to UConn and you'll be seen on FS1/Fox playing at Madison Square Garden in March"
Just a question. You don't think kids want to play in the Garden?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just a question. You don't think kids want to play in the Garden?

TCF is making the point that kids DO want to play in the Garden. He's saying that our recruiting is going to get a lot better moving forward.

Reaction Score
TCF is making the point that kids DO want to play in the Garden. He's saying that our recruiting is going to get a lot better moving forward.
Ok. With the ESPN vs Fox in there I wasn't sure.

Reaction Score
Just because not all of us stayed local after college, don’t hold that against us... maybe you need to get out of the state.

Reaction Score
Ok. With the ESPN vs Fox in there I wasn't sure.

Yeah his point is that the network (considering both are a part of basic cable) isn't as big a deal as the stakes.

Reaction Score
way too much emphasis on playing local teams...
if uconn isn't winning this league, nobody is going to care.
Giving up to become Butler or any other also ran catholic school isn't going to generate national interest. And if Uconn isn't in the national discussion, don't expect the fans to fill the seats. It's that simple.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom