AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever!

Reaction Score
If the gap between the P5 and G5 narrows it will be due to the unsustainable model they’re currently enjoying. It won’t be due to Memphis beating Iowa St in a bowl game that nobody will remember. In Carl’s fantasy world everyone remembers Navy drubbing UVA but forgets the AAC is 1-2 vs fellow G5 schools.

On the contrary, I am saying everything matters, Wins and Loses, there are no secrets. Don't stray away from the fact that those on this board who have been down on the AAC from day 1 don't feel wins against so called P5's matter. Everyone knows there is a talent gap because of all the P5 propaganda and the money situation. It doesn't effect the Florida and TX AAC teams as much because of the plethora of talent in those states.

You, Whaler and others want to see the AAC fail because you dream of UCONN going to a P5 conference, either the B1G or the ACC. I would jump at that opportunity too but that ain't happening any time soon. Who's in a fantasy world now!

AAC football is finding a level of its own

Aresco quotes from above article in Sept.

"Pulling off big-name upsets, showing dominance over struggling power programs (as South Florida did against Illinois last week) and garnering attention with nationally televised games will continue to raise the conference’s profile. Aresco knows becoming a power conference in the mind of the public will be a slow process."

The issue for us is there’s so much focus on the P5,” Aresco said. “College football, for many decades, has been about the blue bloods much more than basketball, where you have year-to-year Cinderellas and there’s so many more teams that can be competitive. Somebody once said if you have a few good players, you can reenergize a basketball program, but in football, it’s like a corporation."

“We just have to keep at it. It’s not going to be easy; when you have an exclusive club, they typically don’t want to let in new members. I understand all that.
We’re not naive. That’s the last thing we are. But we really think we’ve got a shot because of our achievement.”

If Memphis and UCF win their games it will be a clean slate against P5 opponents this bowl season.
I admit, UCF beating Auburn and going 13-0 is quite a dream! Unbelievable! If UCONN where in
this position, the Boneyard would be going wild and demanding that UCONN be rated #1 in the country.

Reaction Score
You seem to argue your point in absolute terms when that isn't what is being presented. Going all wins in the bowls will not get the AAC a new contract for TV nor get networks beating down Aresco's door; but losing them all would sure make the P6 talk pretty comical.
Can't argue league winning doesn't matter "somewhat", just how much. UCF beats Auburn 55 to 10, tell me that doesn't matter "at all". The talking heads (after they talk about Auburn not caring about the game) will have to acknowledge in some way, shape or form that "on that day" UCF put an whopping on the SEC West champ (who beat half the CFP guys in Alabama and Georgia and then both SEC teams get to the final game). Just think the talking heads saying during the championship game, "The team that beat the 2 finalists was crushed by an undefeated UCF, think "arguably" the best team in the country is undefeated and not here today?"
Think might impact 2018-19 initial polls on AAC teams? Maybe some still available recruits?
How about Memphis hangs 70 on Iowa State who beat Oklahoma and TCU, lost 3 games by 4 points or less and the other 2 by 7 and 10. SMU getting squished mattered but not as much as the top AAC guys putting a hurting on Auburn and Iowa State would.
In the giant, giant scheme of things how much does it matter, probably not as much as Notre Dame joining the ACC or Texas wanting out of the Big 12 or ESPN cord cutting, but it does matter.
Saying all that, might be more likely Auburn kills and Memphis loses, but I like my scenario better since I get to pick it (at least until the real world gets in my way).

Thank you. Nice to read logical comments!

Reaction Score
You guys live in a fantasy land.

These games are forgotten 20 seconds after they end.

Mr Aresco we were going to offer you eleventy billion dollars but Temple lost to FIU. So - NO DEAL!

Not sure this game will be forgotten that easily. Check out the hype tape after the interview.

UCF scouts two Auburn matchups against Georgia ahead of Peach Bowl

How any UCONN fan couldn't be all out for UCF in this game is mind boggling!

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How any UCONN fan couldn't be all out for UCF in this game is mind boggling!

Look, we all want the AAC to get the best tv deal. It's where UConn is most likely going to be for the near and (gulp) long term.

That said, I'm keeping the black and gold pom poms under wraps. When UCF gets to tout Peach Bowl champions on the resume and we'll have our 6-7 Tampa Bowl loss to Marshall, you'll wish they didn't win that game.

Reaction Score
Look, we all want the AAC to get the best tv deal. It's where UConn is most likely going to be for the near and (gulp) long term.

That said, I'm keeping the black and gold pom poms under wraps. When UCF gets to tout Peach Bowl champions on the resume and we'll have our 6-7 Tampa Bowl loss to Marshall, you'll wish they didn't win that game.

I guess you just don't get it, so let's talk about something else that we might agree on.

Lindey Duke, Blake Bortles old girlfriend went to UCF - would you take the pom poms out for her?

Lindsey-Duke-destra.png

Reaction Score
Wins against P5 will certainly help the P6 effort and aid the negotiations. If you are saying Memphis beating Iowa State and UCF beating Auburn won't help and support the next round of TV negotiations then your just either being really stubborn or really stupid!

Pro and college football are different but I can't help but draw some comparisons between the P6 effort of the American and the emergence of the AFL in the sixties that eventually merged with the NFL

"At first, the NFL ignored the AFL and its eight teams, assuming the AFL would consist of players who could not earn a contract in the NFL, and that fans of professional football would not waste their time watching them when they could watch the NFL. The NFL also had the media advantage: For example, in the 1960s, Sports Illustrated's lead football writer was Tex Maule,[5] who previously worked with NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle when Rozelle was the general manager of the L.A. Rams and Maule was the team's public relations director; Maule "was certainly an NFL loyalist,"[16] and several sports reporters took his deprecatory columns about the AFL as fact. Another example was Dallas Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm, a close friend of Rozelle (Schramm hired Rozelle as Rams' GM), who was influential in NFL coverage by its national TV partner, CBS, including the network's employment of former NFL players as game announcers and the absence of AFL scores and reports on the network.

However, in spite of this bad press, and unlike the NFL's previous rivals, the AFL was able to survive and grow, and began to prosper in the mid-1960s after the relocation of the Chargers and Texans to non-NFL markets, the sale and rebranding of the New York Titans (to the Jets), and the Jets' signing of University of Alabama quarterback Joe Namath to an unprecedented $427,000 contract. The league's financial survival was also buoyed by NBC's $36 million, five-year contract to televise AFL games beginning in 1965.[15]

You see Jimmy, success matters, it really does.

Don't underestimate Mike Aresco's knowledge and connections in the upper echelons of the networks and the college football world. I believe the principle decision makers in the last days of the old Big East knew exactly what they were doing when they hired him.

AFL–NFL merger - Wikipedia
Does this mean there's hope for the XFL?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What random Wikipedia page should I copy into this thread?

Reaction Score
Ugh when you convince yourself Memphis and Iowa State matter it really ruins your day!
How did I know id find you here. Oh well back to table scraps for the comference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How did I know id find you here. Oh well back to table scraps for the comference.

I left the basketball game and found a table at the Tavern to enjoy a Memphis win. Heartbroken.

Reaction Score
I left the basketball game and found a table at the Tavern to enjoy a Memphis win. Heartbroken.

I just caught the last 1:34, surprised that Memphis lost. Scrolling thru the last Memphis drive (to win) Reily throws 4 incomplete passes. The football gods were not nice to Memphis.

Reaction Score
That loss hurt the conference. Reilly was way off. Overthrew a bunch of receivers today. That said, they played tough.

Reaction Score
That loss hurt the conference. Reilly was way off. Overthrew a bunch of receivers today. That said, they played tough.
The conference is looking fine. The loss hurts Memphis fans who wanted redemption against the Big 12 for being perceived so lowly. But it's established our best programs can compete against strong middling P5 programs.

We should be able to beat BC and everyone else around here one of these days. Penn State would be the tough one.

Reaction Score
The conference is looking fine. The loss hurts Memphis fans who wanted redemption against the Big 12 for being perceived so lowly. But it's established our best programs can compete against strong middling P5 programs.

We should be able to beat BC and everyone else around here one of these days. Penn State would be the tough one.

Terrible roughing the passer call against Memphis which negated the end zone interception. One of the worst calls I have ever seen.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...roversy-third-quarter-liberty-bowl/992352001/

Reaction Score
It's all about UCF. My 70 points by Memphis didn't work out, they played ok and with the TD taken away on ineligible receiver down field, some other calls and weather not really good for passing team; they played solid.
Now need my UCF boys to put a hurt'n on Auburn and then Georgia and Alabama to win going away; then let's see what the talking heads say in the title game as to "who else" might have a legit claim to being there (of course OSU) but hard to not mention a 13-0 UCF team. But then how could a committee with Tyrone Willingham miss on picking the top 4 teams correctly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom