AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever! | The Boneyard

AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever!

Reaction Score
Excellent recap of this year's AAC bowl line up. Great opportunity for the league to separate themselves from the G5 and prove they can compete with the P5.

AAC Bowl Games Matter More This Year Than Any Other

SMU - LA Tech
Temple - FIU
USF - Texas Tech
Houston - Fresno State
Navy- Virginia
Memphis - Iowa State
UCF - Auburn

On UCF...

"The committee is throwing a very good Auburn team that is strong defensively and a potent offense led by Kerryon Johnson, at UCF. Here is the chance to prove and leave no doubt in the committees head of how good this team UCF is. They may not be a top 4 team, but they are up there for sure.

Just like Memphis, winning this game would absolutely warrant a preseason ranking. Despite the coaching changes, this team 100 percent deserves a ranking if they are able to take a win in Atlanta. It would also propel the AAC into P6 discussion whether the P5 wants to hear about it or not."

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Meh, not really much more important than any other year. The only really big thing is for UCF to not get blown out. Other than that, the only thing UConn needs to worry about is winning some games.

Reaction Score
I’m actually really excited about the AAC this year. Even tho we (UConn Country - yes I said it! If we’re bringing back the block C bring back UConn Country too dang it!) didn’t perform so hot this year the conference still had another solid year in football. The UCF game is obviously huge for the program and the conference. I originally didn’t like the Power6 concept but I bought into it. We ( UConn Country ) aren’t moving right now so we need to back the other teams. USF Memphis and Navy have big games as well. Our conference needs to get Relevance... which leads to more $.... hopefully.

New conferences take time... we have time. Every year is important.

Reaction Score
Every year it's "it's critical there is a good bowl showing to show the AAC conference is competitive with power conferences" followed by some upper tier AAC teams giving a good ass whipping to a P5, which is followed with "yeah, but any team can get up for one game. The real test is doing it week in and week out in a tough conference like [insert pundit's pet conference]." System hopelessly rigged.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think we're favored (slightly) in every game except for the UCF game. We should go 4-3 or 5-2. We can't pull a Big 10 (1-6 or 1-7).

Reaction Score
Meh, not really much more important than any other year. The only really big thing is for UCF to not get blown out. Other than that, the only thing UConn needs to worry about is winning some games.

I was thinking maybe more like this...

#15 UCF stuns # 5 Baylor in Fiesta Bowl

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ylor-bears-fiesta-bowl-blake-bortles/4284975/

Or this...

# 18 Houston dominates #9 FSU 38-24 in Peach Bowl

Houston dominates, beats FSU in Peach Bowl

We all can wish for an invite to the ACC or the B1G but until and if that happens, the AAC is the hand we have been dealt. Success for the AAC is good for the conference TV deal and ultimately good for UCONN. All these AAC bowl games matter.

Reaction Score
Apparently SMU hasn't gotten the message or they're setting us up for a miracle comeback.

Down 42-10 to LA Tech at the half with a slew of new coaches. Feel bad for the kids but less bad for us with coaches in year 2. We've been biting that bullet for 6 years.

Reaction Score
Apparently SMU hasn't gotten the message or they're setting us up for a miracle comeback.

Down 42-10 to LA Tech at the half with a slew of new coaches. Feel bad for the kids but less bad for us with coaches in year 2. We've been biting that bullet for 6 years.

SMU looked like the least prepared team I've ever watched. Hard to swallow that we lost to them 49-28. Chad Morris and staff leaving had to be a disruption and buzz killer.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Morris apparently took most of his recruits with him when he left for Arkansas, yet has the nerve to talk about how he cried after he met with his players at SMU? At least he didn't leave without meeting with them, like Lute Olson, Ben Howland, Randy Edsall, Todd Graham, etc., etc., etc. He deserves credit for that.

Good for Skippy. Four straight bowl appearances and wins. I've always liked him, but I can't stand his father.

Somewhere tonight, either here or perhaps in another realm, "CaliChic" is smiling! ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
AAC Bowls YTD:

Wins 0
Nostical Wins 1
Excuses for SMU Many

Reaction Score
SMU made a big statement and it isn't pretty. Plays right into the hands of the P6 deniers.

Reaction Score
SMU made a big statement and it isn't pretty. Plays right into the hands of the P6 deniers.

It was ugly. Wheels fell off! I am sure Aresco didn't like it! Hoping this is an isolated case.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does anyone with a brain actually think these games matter with respect to P6 credibility?

May I remind you that with a nationally relevant program in West Virginia, highly ranked Cincinnati, Louisville and then hell our Edsall teams along with Pitt and Rutgers put together some damn good seasons including BCS bowl wins.

What did that get us? Nothing.

We are what we are. Would any of us consider the A-10 a major basketball player if St. Joe's beat us in 2014 or if URI made it to the Elite 8 last season? No.

Reaction Score
Does anyone with a brain actually think these games matter with respect to P6 credibility?

May I remind you that with a nationally relevant program in West Virginia, highly ranked Cincinnati, Louisville and then hell our Edsall teams along with Pitt and Rutgers put together some damn good seasons including BCS bowl wins.

We are what we are. Would any of us consider the A-10 a major basketball player if St. Joe's beat us in 2014 or if URI made it to the Elite 8 last season? No.

CFB and CBB are apples and oranges.

If UCF beats Auburn, after selling lots of tickets, it would absolutely mean something.

Reaction Score

They matter because perception and name recognition matter when it comes to the viewing public. Public demand based on ratings helps determine the conference payout. The American Conference is building a resume. Every game matters, the P6 Commercials matter, the press conferences matter, the helmets matter. If every American team gets squished like SMU did last night it matters. If the AAC fairs well in their bowl games culminating with a UCF win over Auburn it will matter. Coaches lose their jobs if they don't win. Conferences gain respectability the more they win!

As surprised as you seem to be that some people (with half a brain) think these games matter, frankly I'm astonished that there are knowledgeable sports fans who think they don't matter.

If the TV contract negotiations didn't matter, then why in the heck would the University presidents choose to hire a seasoned Network TV sports executive as their Commissioner but also renew his contract and give him a raise! Sorry but these bowl games have significance!

I will be rooting for every AAC team this bowl season. Because I believe a win for them is a win for UCONN.
Winning reinforces quality and helps the league gain credibility.

Reaction Score
I took FIU +7 tonight vs Temple. I really only believe the top 3 teams were any good in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If UCF beats Auburn, after selling lots of tickets, it would absolutely mean something.

They matter because perception and name recognition matter when it comes to the viewing public. Public demand based on ratings helps determine the conference payout. The American Conference is building a resume. Every game matters, the P6 Commercials matter, the press conferences matter, the helmets matter. If every American team gets squished like SMU did last night it matters. If the AAC fairs well in their bowl games culminating with a UCF win over Auburn it will matter. Coaches lose their jobs if they don't win. Conferences gain respectability the more they win!

As surprised as you seem to be that some people (with half a brain) think these games matter, frankly I'm astonished that there are knowledgeable sports fans who think they don't matter.

If the TV contract negotiations didn't matter, then why in the heck would the University presidents choose to hire a seasoned Network TV sports executive as their Commissioner but also renew his contract and give him a raise! Sorry but these bowl games have significance!

I will be rooting for every AAC team this bowl season. Because I believe a win for them is a win for UCONN.

You guys live in a fantasy land.

These games are forgotten 20 seconds after they end.

Mr Aresco we were going to offer you eleventy billion dollars but Temple lost to FIU. So - NO DEAL!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Did you miss the part where I included the old Big East football conference as example #1? Lol.

W/L is meaningless exhibition games have 0 impact on negotiating a decent tv deal.

I'm not saying I'm rooting against the AAC, I'm just saying it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
You guys live in a fantasy land.

These games are forgotten 20 seconds after they end.

Mr Aresco we were going to offer you eleventy billion dollars but Temple lost to FIU. So - NO DEAL!

That's not what I'm saying will happen.

Also, just for the record, I don't think the AAC is getting a big tv deal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom