AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Bowl games matter this year more than ever!

Reaction Score

1 P5 down, 2 to go! Definitely reinforses the P6 message. If Aresco wants to market the American as P6 that's his prerogative. Who made up the BS P5 label anyway? I'll take P6 over the Dumpster fire label so many close minded boneyarders have labeled the conference as any day. You can renounce the P6 label all you want but you certainly can't call the AAC a dumpster fire! This win over Texas Tech, coupled with Memphis over Iowa State and UCF over Auburn would be huge for the AAC. Anybody who says that wouldn't matter in TV negotiations which ultimately help UCONN doesn't know they are talking about![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1 P5 down, 2 to go! Definitely reinforses the P6 message. If Aresco wants to market the American as P6 that's his prerogative. Who made up the BS P5 label anyway? I'll take P6 over the Dumpster fire label so many close minded boneyarders have labeled the conference as any day. You can renounce the P6 label all you want but you certainly can't call the AAC a dumpster fire! This win over Texas Tech, coupled with Memphis over Iowa State and UCF over Auburn would be huge for the AAC. Anybody who says that wouldn't matter in TV negotiations which ultimately help UCONN doesn't know they are talking about!
[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas Carl.

Reaction Score

Merry Christmas Carl.[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas Jimmy

This feels like the Waltons at the end of the show!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you mocking? This is in jest, right?

If you can’t get a bigger TV deal off a 4 point win in an exhibition game over a .500 Texas Tech team... this is a layup!

USF moved 1,200 of their tickets - clearly this program is a house of fire.

Reaction Score
Houston ruined Christmas. Back to Nickolodeon for the next TV deal. :(

That was a great game. Fresno was really good and Houston played them tough. Houston 7-4 playing Fresno 9-2 who lost to Boise 17-14in the MWC championship game won't hurt the image. The next 3 P5 matchups will weigh more. I get it Whaler you don't think the bowls matter, I do. That's okay, time will tell. Merry Christmas.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
That was a great game. Fresno was really good and Houston played them tough. Houston 7-4 playing Fresno 9-2 who lost to Boise 17-14in the MWC championship game won't hurt the image. The next 3 P5 matchups will weigh more. I get it Whaler you don't think the bowls matter, I do. That's okay, time will tell. Merry Christmas.

There are maybe a few thousand people that are even aware that Houston lost to Fresno. UCF not getting blown out is really the only game that matters, and even that one doesnt mean much. No amount of Bowl wins over mediocre P5 teams is going to move any opinions.

Reaction Score
Fresno St has some of the hardest hitting DB’s in the country. You’ll hear their names on draft day.

Reaction Score
Navy throttling UVA. It seems like we took a lot of teams best shots this year but also pretty obvious we didn't field a defense that was ready to help us win. 42-7 Navy late 3rd Qtr.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As I just said on the recruiting board, just offer every kid that gets a Navy offer. You are guaranteed to field kids that can help.

Reaction Score
We simply weren’t good enough defensively to thwart the offenses of several teams that looked more anemic during recent bowl games. On to next year

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I can sum up this thread very quickly.

These AAC bowl games mean nada, zip, zero to UConn’s future.

You and Whaler should get a room with your so happy thoughts :rolleyes: about UConn and the AAC.

You two pissing and moaning about this isn't doing any good at all, just shows you are both unhappy SOB's

Reaction Score
You and Whaler should get a room with your so happy thoughts :rolleyes: about UConn and the AAC.

You two pissing and moaning about this isn't doing any good at all, just shows you are both unhappy SOB's

In case you haven’t noticed the athletic department is burning to the ground. Perhaps my mood is appropriate for the reality of the situation?

Reaction Score
The AAC is collectively building up it's rep. Not a bad conference, obviously. P6 is not even necessarily stretching it, with the clout behind the schools in the conference.

If Army can actually hold up and play like Navy (and win games against Navy regularly now).... The conference is not even set up to take another football only. But Army and Navy in this conference would be cool. Just having Navy is great for the conference, obviously.

Reaction Score
Oh thank sweet baby Jesus now we’re gonna get a YUGE TV deal!

Wins against P5 will certainly help the P6 effort and aid the negotiations. If you are saying Memphis beating Iowa State and UCF beating Auburn won't help and support the next round of TV negotiations then your just either being really stubborn or really stupid!

Pro and college football are different but I can't help but draw some comparisons between the P6 effort of the American and the emergence of the AFL in the sixties that eventually merged with the NFL

"At first, the NFL ignored the AFL and its eight teams, assuming the AFL would consist of players who could not earn a contract in the NFL, and that fans of professional football would not waste their time watching them when they could watch the NFL. The NFL also had the media advantage: For example, in the 1960s, Sports Illustrated's lead football writer was Tex Maule,[5] who previously worked with NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle when Rozelle was the general manager of the L.A. Rams and Maule was the team's public relations director; Maule "was certainly an NFL loyalist,"[16] and several sports reporters took his deprecatory columns about the AFL as fact. Another example was Dallas Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm, a close friend of Rozelle (Schramm hired Rozelle as Rams' GM), who was influential in NFL coverage by its national TV partner, CBS, including the network's employment of former NFL players as game announcers and the absence of AFL scores and reports on the network.

However, in spite of this bad press, and unlike the NFL's previous rivals, the AFL was able to survive and grow, and began to prosper in the mid-1960s after the relocation of the Chargers and Texans to non-NFL markets, the sale and rebranding of the New York Titans (to the Jets), and the Jets' signing of University of Alabama quarterback Joe Namath to an unprecedented $427,000 contract. The league's financial survival was also buoyed by NBC's $36 million, five-year contract to televise AFL games beginning in 1965.[15]

You see Jimmy, success matters, it really does.

Don't underestimate Mike Aresco's knowledge and connections in the upper echelons of the networks and the college football world. I believe the principle decision makers in the last days of the old Big East knew exactly what they were doing when they hired him.

AFL–NFL merger - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you are saying Memphis beating Iowa State and UCF beating Auburn won't help and support the next round of TV negotiations then your just either being really stubborn or really stupid!

I don't believe it will. I still think Aresco best plan if action is to convince one of the streaming outlets to take a chance on his league and split profits on some pay per view arrangement. Habe coaches give recruits game day passwords or something. ESPN is not gonna pay up for this league. They have to pay this league peanuts for overpaying for p5 content. I don't think the other networks will pay much either. Sucks our mens bball is totally in the gutter st the moment.

Reaction Score
If you are saying Memphis beating Iowa State and UCF beating Auburn won't help and support the next round of TV negotiations then your just either being really stubborn or really stupid!

I don't believe it will. I still think Aresco best plan if action is to convince one of the streaming outlets to take a chance on his league and split profits on some pay per view arrangement. Habe coaches give recruits game day passwords or something. ESPN is not gonna pay up for this league. They have to pay this league peanuts for overpaying for p5 content. I don't think the other networks will pay much either. Sucks our mens bball is totally in the gutter st the moment.

Alternative media is for sure on the table but saying it doesn't make a difference if the AAC teams win or lose against the Power 5 is not logical. Success breeds Success! Winning matters!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

There aren’t any other television networks to bid.

Reaction Score

If the gap between the P5 and G5 narrows it will be due to the unsustainable model they’re currently enjoying. It won’t be due to Memphis beating Iowa St in a bowl game that nobody will remember. In Carl’s fantasy world everyone remembers Navy drubbing UVA but forgets the AAC is 1-2 vs fellow G5 schools.

Reaction Score
If the gap between the P5 and G5 narrows it will be due to the unsustainable model they’re currently enjoying. It won’t be due to Memphis beating Iowa St in a bowl game that nobody will remember. In Carl’s fantasy world everyone remembers Navy drubbing UVA but forgets the AAC is 1-2 vs fellow G5 schools.
You seem to argue your point in absolute terms when that isn't what is being presented. Going all wins in the bowls will not get the AAC a new contract for TV nor get networks beating down Aresco's door; but losing them all would sure make the P6 talk pretty comical.
Can't argue league winning doesn't matter "somewhat", just how much. UCF beats Auburn 55 to 10, tell me that doesn't matter "at all". The talking heads (after they talk about Auburn not caring about the game) will have to acknowledge in some way, shape or form that "on that day" UCF put an whopping on the SEC West champ (who beat half the CFP guys in Alabama and Georgia and then both SEC teams get to the final game). Just think the talking heads saying during the championship game, "The team that beat the 2 finalists was crushed by an undefeated UCF, think "arguably" the best team in the country is undefeated and not here today?"
Think might impact 2018-19 initial polls on AAC teams? Maybe some still available recruits?
How about Memphis hangs 70 on Iowa State who beat Oklahoma and TCU, lost 3 games by 4 points or less and the other 2 by 7 and 10. SMU getting squished mattered but not as much as the top AAC guys putting a hurting on Auburn and Iowa State would.
In the giant, giant scheme of things how much does it matter, probably not as much as Notre Dame joining the ACC or Texas wanting out of the Big 12 or ESPN cord cutting, but it does matter.
Saying all that, might be more likely Auburn kills and Memphis loses, but I like my scenario better since I get to pick it (at least until the real world gets in my way).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom